[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I want to use my NAS as a backup temporarily. The setup will

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

File: zfs.jpg (15KB, 400x320px) Image search: [Google]
zfs.jpg
15KB, 400x320px
I want to use my NAS as a backup temporarily.
The setup will be FreeNAS + stripped vdev(RAID0), per disk. This means each HDD will separate from each other, no redundancy. This should be fine since each HDD is just a backup.

Then maybe 1~2 years from now when I've bought more HDD's, I'll wipe the entire Nas and go stripped mirror vdev(RAID1), use the NAS as my main storage and then use my current JBOD as backup.

Is there anything wrong with this? Or maybe I should just make 1 giant pool of RAID 0, and take the risk that if 1 drive dies, the entire pool dies, and then deal with spending 9 days(30TB @ 350Mb/s) transferring the data back.
Remember, this is just a temporarily solution until I can afford more HDDs. I just really need a backup of my data.
>>
Dont know if anyone is knowledgeable, but I've decided I'm going to do for my temp backup:

3 disks per pool, stripped vdev.
This should give me 900MB read/write speeds, which is enough to saturate my fiber connection.

This way I only spend maybe 3 days repairing the array if a drive dies.
>>
>>62343626
Keep in mind that you cant add additional drives to a pool. Number 1 reason to not use zfs for home usage and instead go with snapraid + mergerfs
>>
>>62344400
>Keep in mind that you cant add additional drives to a pool
Are you sure?
I read that you should be able to add new disks to a pool. The NEW disk gets wiped, but all the data in the pool should remain intact.

Even so, why would it matter if I can just create another pool of drives?
>>
>>62344469
http://louwrentius.com/the-hidden-cost-of-using-zfs-for-your-home-nas.html

> Even so, why would it matter if I can just create another pool of drives?
>>
Seems OP knows this, but just to make it abundantly clear:

RAID IS NOT A BACKUP.

With that out of the way, and assuming you really are just using this as a backup of an already existing storage array, what you propose is perfectly reasonable.

>>62345115
>>62344400
That's vdevs. You can't just add a new disk to a vdev, you can add new vdevs to a pool.

In the first scenario where OP is hdd limited and is using what he calls "raid0", he simply puts the new disk in, creates a vdev which contains only that new disk, and adds the vdev to the pool.

In the second scenario where OP is not hdd limited and is using what he calls "raid1", he simply puts 2 new disks in, creates a vdev in which the disks are mirrors of each other, and adds the vdev to the pool.
>>
>>62345152
also, I really wouldn't bother with any vdev fuckery besides mirroring. "RAIDZ" is dildos and why people like those two spout shit like "you can't add drive to a pool". RAIDZ, like all raids, certainly does not constitute a real backup.
>>
>>62345183
and finally I highly suggest this set of guides:
https://pthree.org/2012/12/04/zfs-administration-part-i-vdevs/
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.