[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 323
Thread images: 34

File: 1502659478694.png (23KB, 630x337px) Image search: [Google]
1502659478694.png
23KB, 630x337px
Previous: >>62325684

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources:
Your friendly neighborhood search engine.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ help %command%
$ %command% -h
$ %command% --help

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
https://wiki.archlinux.org
https://wiki.gentoo.org

/g/'s Wiki on GNU/Linux:
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux

>What are some cool programs?
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
https://directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page

>What are some cool terminal commands?
http://www.commandlinefu.com/
http://bropages.org/

>Where can I learn the command line?
http://mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
http://www.grymoire.com/Unix/

>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html

>How to break out of the botnet?
https://prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: >>>/t/769497

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
http://fglt.nl && https://p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy
>>
>>62340246
>herpderpa digital handcuffs
This is the most autistic shit.
>>
>>62340288
It's true though, innit?
>>
how do i read the output of "info [command]" without wanting to kill myself?

why the fuck doesn't it just use a pager with vi-keys like every thing else, holy shit
>>
>>62340246
>users control the program
The program is shown as broken and unfinished. Probably missing essential features.

>program controls the users
Program is complete and actually works.
>>
>>62340323
Define a "complete" program.
>>
Install GuixSD
>>
>>62340340
Not broken and unfinished.
>>
>>62340323
learn unix then make this argument
>>
>>62340347
Define what it means for a program to be "finished".
>>
>>62340363
>>62340371
Look I didn't make the OP picture. You should ask whoever did.
>>
>>62340323

left
>some developers talk about improving the program
>two guys already got some patches
>malicious features are already removed from the program
>two other guys are watching, they're not developers but still benefit from the work of the developers
result: the best possible program

right
>program is unchangeable
>users do exactly what the program allows them to do, nothing else
>security issues or bugs can't be fixed
>megacorporations control what the program should do
>>
>>62340378
You're the one who brought it up, idiot.
The OP picture mentions nothing about completion.
>>
File: 1473809399488.png (30KB, 300x57px) Image search: [Google]
1473809399488.png
30KB, 300x57px
>>62340312
alias info='info --vi-keys'

You'Re welcome.
>>
>>62340388
>left
>>some developers talk about improving the program
>>two guys already got some patches, one with an obfuscated backdoor built in
>>two other guys are watching, they're not developers so they don't notice the backdoors but they sign off on the commit anyways
>result: the best possible backdoors
>right
>>program is unchangeable by malicious users
>>users do exactly what the program allows them to do, nothing else
>>security issues or bugs are automatically removed by the automatic update features that free software can't seem to implement
wew
>>
File: 1490172823325.png (183KB, 1233x957px) Image search: [Google]
1490172823325.png
183KB, 1233x957px
>>62340446
>>
Here's a question for those of you that are familiar with X11:
For the program I'm making, I plan on reading input using X11 directly with X11/Xlib.h. But, when I close the program, all of the input I entered appears at the command line unless I flush the input buffer.
Is there a fixed size to the input buffer, or is it resized dynamically? It would be concerning if I get some sort of "out of memory error" when running my program because the input buffer has expanded to consume all remaining memory. If it is resized dynamically, is there a way to just prevent it from storing user input instead of clearing it periodically?
>>
>>62340474
We're dumb in here. Please ask >>>/g/dpt.
>>
>>62340488
That was fast, are you a bot?
>>
>>62340502
I'm a girl.
>>
>>62340507
That might be even more affirmation than saying, "I'm a bot."
>>
File: 1481731561996.jpg (27KB, 580x388px) Image search: [Google]
1481731561996.jpg
27KB, 580x388px
>>62340446
>meanwhile on windows
>you know you already lost, but why not at least try it?
>change some registry keys in order to remove some botnet
>install some botnet-deactivator.premium.cracked-by-xX-DARK_L0rD.exe
>actually installs more botnet
>windows update silently deletes all your keys
>write mail to your mom, tell her how much wendys sucks
>mail is sent to 256 countries, NSA'd, analized, datamined, selled to the highest bidders
>come to 4chan, ask how to remove botnet from proprietary OS
>tfw some 4channer gives you a "your tried" award
>people laugh at you
>tell you to install gentoo
>feel bad
>try not to cry
>cry
>>
>>62340592
>pirate software
>get pwned
You deserved it.
>>
>>62340592
>meanwhile on Poonix
>"the guy who wrote this program is gone"
>last modified: 2003
>not a bug; woun't fix
>>
File: .jpg (57KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
.jpg
57KB, 500x375px
>>62340601
Publishers often refer to copying they don't approve of as “piracy.” In this way, they imply that it is ethically equivalent to attacking ships on the high seas, kidnapping and murdering the people on them. Based on such propaganda, they have procured laws in most of the world to forbid copying in most (or sometimes all) circumstances. (They are still pressuring to make these prohibitions more complete.)

If you don't believe that copying not approved by the publisher is just like kidnapping and murder, you might prefer not to use the word “piracy” to describe it. Neutral terms such as “unauthorized copying” (or “prohibited copying” for the situation where it is illegal) are available for use instead. Some of us might even prefer to use a positive term such as “sharing information with your neighbor.”
>>
>>62340688
GNU/Poonix*
>>
This is a bad thread.
>>
File: bba.jpg (48KB, 640x635px) Image search: [Google]
bba.jpg
48KB, 640x635px
>>62340246
Is there any simple way of recording on the fly an audio sample from a movie in GNU/Linux? Like a few seconds clip.

I used to do this using Audacity, back when was a Windowsfag, but when I tried here it's simply a huge clusterfuck. I even managed to do it using the guide on Audacity site, but sometimes it works and sometimes don't.

Is there some program that can just connect to my output and capture, simply? I'm using ALSA, and have jack installed as well.
>>
>>62340881
Just use ffmpeg to extract it from the video file
>>
>>62340720
>word to avoid
Recently found this "Words to Avoid" page on gnu.org and got some thinking on it. First I was like:
>autists actually start to rule on which words I should use or not, wtf
Then again, after some beer, I remembered reading about NLP, something which is taught to mostly marketers. Its about using language in a specific way so thoughts lead to what you want people to think. "piracy" is a pretty good example; it sounds cool, it makes you feel like a gangster when you don't give a fuck and you spread the word - other people are scared away "I'm not a gangster, I pay for my things like a good citizen". And here is the real problem: People accept the act of sharing something with a friend as something which is evil and makes you a bad member of society. If you don't fall for this brainfuckery, you're still cucked with these options:
a) don't share a book with your friend, be a bad friend (or as I've recently takin to calling it: a bad member of society)
b) share a book with your friend and become a criminal (or as the "piracy" meme is calling it: a bad member of society).

tl;dr fixing words you use may actually fix thoughts

btw, another good example is "intellectual property" - something which doesn't even exist i reality; when corporations say this word, they mean a collection of different laws such as copyright law, patent law, etc, but the ordinary person really means the "property of my intellect" - which isn't covered by any law (and it would be pretty stupid to do so). More on this: https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/not-ipr.en.html

Thanks for reading my blog.
>>
>>62340952
To extract 5 secs from a 2 hours movie?
I just want to record certain phrases or words occasionally, as I'm watching the movie, and use them in songs later on.
There's gotta be a simpler method.
>>
>>62341027
>being this much of a brainwashed stallmanite
theres no help for you
>>
>>62341082
If you mean "clean" when you say "washed", I agree with you.
>>
>>62341092
pretty sure they meant "washed" as in "acid washed"
>>
So lads, since I prefer bitmap fonts in my terminal (currently tewi), I have some trouble finding a good fallback font for japanese characters (my anime movie filenames look pretty ass). Any recommendations here?
>>
File: 1491765522891.jpg (479KB, 1440x1580px) Image search: [Google]
1491765522891.jpg
479KB, 1440x1580px
What are some cool terminal commands?
>>
>>62341167
< ~/.bash_history cut -d' ' -f1 | sort | uniq -c | sort -rnk1 | head

15626 ls
8992 sudo
7567 vim
5277 mplayer
4887 cd
3817 git
3550 rm
2493 apt-cache
2469 man
2424 mv
>>
File: 1492725558420.jpg (110KB, 485x582px) Image search: [Google]
1492725558420.jpg
110KB, 485x582px
>>62341167
cat /proc/sys/kernel/tainted

If the result isn't 0, your Linux is hacked.
>>
>>62341239
dumb zsh user
>>
>>62341239
>mplayer
>current year
Why didn't you upgrade to mpv yet?
>>
File: linuslol.png (160KB, 481x577px) Image search: [Google]
linuslol.png
160KB, 481x577px
>>62341243
kek, saved
have one in return
>>
>>62341341
>current year
My bash history goes back rather more than one year. mpv is #12 on that list.
>>
>>62341358
Does this say
>WORED
on the thumbnail, or is it just me?
>>
>>62341243
Isn't that literally NOT what torvalds wants?

According to Torvalds there is nothing wrong with Microsoft doing anything that it does.
Does he just say one thing to the Linux community and a different thing to the media to claim fame from Stallman?
>>
>>62341499
Hmmm, it is almost the media make shit up to sell sheets.
>>
>>62341029
Yeah, it's relatively simple.

See:
https://www.ffmpeg.org/ffmpeg.html
https://www.ffmpeg.org/ffmpeg-utils.html#time-duration-syntax

You can do something like
$ ffmpeg -ss '01:23:45' -t '5' -i input.mkv -vn -acodec copy example.ac3

This will initially seek to the position at ss (1 hour, 23 minutes, 45 seconds in for this example; you can also use up to thousandths of a second, although ffmpeg might not be accurate). Then it will limit the duration of data read to 5 seconds (you can also use the previous time format, and again, decimals can be used). Then it actually takes the input file and reads its data as previously stated. Then it doesn't decode the video (because we only care about audio) due to -vn. And it exactly copies the audio due to -acodec copy -- this is important, since it makes extraction nearly instantaneous in most cases.

I use .ac3 for the example output's extension because most ripped movies seem to come with the AC-3 codec. It's worth paying attention to the output of ffmpeg to be sure you know the codec and best file format for the extracted file.
>>
>>62341471
yeah in the thumbnail it looks like that
>>
>all this GNU shilling ITT
>all this muh freedoms shilling ITT
can't we just talk about linux and let people do what they want?
>>
>>62341665
We do both. It's not like getting rid of the GNU stuff is going to magically swap it with high quality tech stuff.
That's just the internet for you, it can't be helped.
>>
>>62341665
Free software development is the root of our community. You can't remove thoughts on freedom and just talk about GNU/Linux like it's just another random OS. If really you don't like the freedom thing, just deal with it with ignorance.
>>
>>62341534
Okay, that's doable. Not as ideal as a play/record mechanics, but I was thinking I'd have to extract the whole audio and cut it later. This is much better.

Thanks, anon. I'll try it out.
>>
>>62341704
>You can't remove thoughts on freedom and just talk about GNU/Linux like it's just another random OS
tell that /r/linux
>>
>>62341751
You need to go back.
>>
>>62341704
this tbqh

"open source" bootlickers please leave
>>
>>62341751
The concept of reddit is that you get upvotes for things people what to hear.
>cucked by literally everyone else on the planet
>>
>>62341796
depents on the subreddit
if you post on a subreddit on X, people will vote you up for making a good comment on X
same thing will happen on the subreddit for Y
>>
>>62341786
>>62341704
fucking echo chamber in here
>>
>>62341844
t. dictionary entry on "circlejerking"
>>
How do i output numerical climbing text via the cli?
How would i then append text to the start and back of that text that was outputted?

So output 1-100:

then use a command to add "text1-" to the front of the text and "-text2" at the end of the text?
>>
File: ozN.jpg (17KB, 354x286px) Image search: [Google]
ozN.jpg
17KB, 354x286px
>>62341534
>>62341743
Great, it works. Just for whatever reason, even though I copied exactly what you wrote, even keeping the -t 5 for testing, it records some 2 minutes of pure silence into the file, then the clip I pointed ffmpeg to.
Not a problem, because it's easy to cut later, just bizarre.

So thanks again, man, now I can have cool dialogue on my music tracks again.
>>
>>62341852
Well he's right. At least partly. Open Source isn't the enemy since it basically does the same thing: promoting free software development. The problem is that it tries to remove thoughts on freedom in order to be passable to corporations and treats proprietary code as acceptable solution, which, at the end, leads to the same thing we have on Windows or macOS: corporations in control, blind faith. possibly botnet.

Before you say "but anon, people want a working system, not something crippled hobby OS"; these were the exact words people said about GNU in the 80s and Linux in the 90s. Now look where we are. We have everything. Getting corporations to open their drivers is endgame, and Open Source makes the task nearly impossible.
>>
I may have lost my main windows partition:

I installed openSUSE and must have glossed over the part where the default partitioning scheme replaced my UEFI with something else
Now I can boot only openSUSE and external media (and p, strangely enough, another Linux partition I have but only from within the openSUSE boot menu), but windows isn't available at all when I hold down ESC on startup.

How do I unfuck this? I can still see my windows file system from within Dolphin. I think I previously had UEFI but it switched it to something else? I can still get into my BIOS settings but the windows partition isn't listed.
>>
>>62341910
>How do i output numerical climbing text via the cli?
seq
>then use a command to add "text1-" to the front of the text and "-text2" at the end of the text?
for i in `seq -w 1 100`;do echo "text1-$i-text2" ;done
>>
>>62342012
>for seq
use {1..100}
>``
use $()
>echo
use prints
>-$i-
use ${i}
>do; done
use {;}
>>
what about the programs rights not to be bukkaked by programmers?
>>
>>62342037
s/prints/printf/
>>
>>62341943
>The problem is that it tries to remove thoughts on freedom
>these were the exact words people said about GNU in the 80s
>which, at the end, leads to the same thing we have on Windows or macOS: corporations in control, blind faith. possibly botnet.
Then why hasn't it happened already your lackwit.
>Open Source isn't the enemy
Then why are you trying to make non-gnu software into some kind of agenda pushing bullshit that it isn't. When you say "you don't believe that software freedom is the most important thing in the world then you are WRONG" you are just showing how small minded you are.
>>
>>62342037
>>use {;}
Neat. Didn't know about this.
>>62342044
A program isn't a person.
>>
I'm on Opensuse Tumbeweed and have been having wifi issues for about a week now
Before it would connect to the router but refuse to actually go online, so I deleted the resolv.conf in /etc/ which allowed me to connect properly again

But now after a while I'll be randomly disconnected after a period of time and be unable to reconnect unless I completely reboot my computer
This happens every time, sometimes after a few minutes, sometimes after hours.
It always fails during the "setting up interface" part
I don't have physical access to my router so I can't check on that end
>>
I just started using debian and I didnt know what to install so I went with Gnome 3, and I dont like it very much.

Anything a little more traditional? Cinnamon looks nice, but Im not sure
>>
>>62342111
MATE, maybe.
>>
>>62342111
>traditional
tty1 is pretty good, jokes aside, if you want something windowsesque, maybe mate, cinnamon is for you, or maybe xfce
>>
>>62342111
tmux
>>
>>62342140
>>62342143
>>62342166
before I make a switch should I try to make the effort to learn more about gnome? People on the net seem to praise it a whole lot
>>
I'm thinking of giving Fedora a try.
>>
>>62342187
Wearing a hat makes you look silly.
>>
>>62342187
install ubunut
>>
>>62342185
>look at all the flies that love shit, shit must be great!
it will teach you bad habits, go with tmux
>>
>>62342187
>joining the red hat/nsa ecosystem
>>62342220
>joining the canonicuck/keylogger ecosystem
>>
>>62342012
>>62342037
you guys are like little babys
perl -e "system('/usr/bin/env python3 -c \"for i in range(100): print(\'text1-\'+ str(i) + \'-text2\')\"')"
>>
>>62342261
needs more nodejs
>>
>>62341910
I mean, GNOME 3 is designed to be macOS-like. If that's your ideal version of a DE, go for it. I personally think it's garbage.
>>
>>62341974
God please if anyone knows what to do to restore Efi form bios please help
>>
Linux is the desktop version of Android.
>>
>>62342037
>>62342261
Not fixed width like in the request >>62341910
F-
>>
File: 1477630901694.jpg (41KB, 680x474px) Image search: [Google]
1477630901694.jpg
41KB, 680x474px
>>62342299
promoted
>>
>>62342299
No, Linux is the kernel used in the Android operating system, as well as other operating systems such as GNU.
>>
>>62342088
and my Bluetooth disabled itself yesterday and now will not re-enable

I'm really considering dropping my OS because of this which is a pain since I've been using OpenSuse for a long time
is it possible to install a new distro and carry over all my old files without having to wipe everything and add them back from an external backup?
>>
>>62342370
all I want right now is just a good stable OS that just works because this is my only computer atm and I need it for work
>>
>>62340246
Linux is a hobby project developed by Microsoft, Google and Red Hat. It doesn't have any value other than experimenting and having fun with it on servers.
>>
>>62342315
perl -e "system('/usr/bin/env python3 -c \"for i in range(100): print(\'text1-\'+ \'{0:03}\'.format(i) + \'-text2\')\"')"
>>
File: its_linux_1565.jpg (88KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
its_linux_1565.jpg
88KB, 400x400px
>>62342328
So many babies here who fail to understand the Linux operating system
>>
>>62342315
for i in $(seq -f "%03g" 1 100);do echo "text1-$i-text2" ;done
>>
>>62342385
>Developers also working at Microsoft, Google and Red Hat are payed to work on Linux, a greate multip-purpose operating system everyone beyond brainlettery loves*
FTFY
>>
>>62342012
Is there a way to invert the numbers? So say 100 starts first then goes to 099 on the output?
>>
>>62341910
>>62342315

for i in {001..100}; do printf "text1-$i-text2\n"; done
>>
>>62342417
Linux is a kernel.
>>
File: 1504748654462.png (1000KB, 1256x1320px) Image search: [Google]
1504748654462.png
1000KB, 1256x1320px
My Pulseaudio is completely fucked.

My sources are as follows:
pacmd list-sources | grep -e device.string -e 'name:'
name: <alsa_input.hw_0_0>
device.string = "hw:0,0"
name: <alsa_output.pci-0000_01_00.1.hdmi-stereo.monitor>
device.string = "1"
name: <alsa_input.pci-0000_00_1b.0.analog-stereo>
device.string = "front:0"
name: <alsa_output.pci-0000_00_1b.0.analog-surround-50.monitor>
device.string = "0"

And sinks:
pacmd list-sinks | grep -e 'name:' -e 'index'
index: 18
name: <alsa_output.pci-0000_01_00.1.hdmi-stereo>
* index: 26
name: <alsa_output.pci-0000_00_1b.0.analog-surround-50>

All I have is stereo speakers on the rear audio port; headphones and mic on the front audio; and 2 monitors on HDMI and Displayport. Only the Displayport one has speakers, which I don't ever use (but pulse might still be trying to output on the HDMI anyway?)

I've tried deleting ~/.config/pulse and ~/.pulse, killing & restarting the daemon. Now whenever I log in, if my headphones are unplugged, audio plays out the speakers. However pavucontrol can't connect to pulseaudio (Establishing connection to pulseaudio. Please wait... <-- forever)

If I plug the headphones back in, no sound plays out of anything. Unplug em, now I've lost sound entirely.

I thought pulseaudio was supposed to make things "just work" out of the box? Is there a way to just make everything reinstall automatically? Shit never really worked right from the beginning; the audio getting confused & killing itself after plugging & unplugging headphones has been present ever since I installed Manjaro; and headphones never output anything upon login unless I unplugged them & replugged them back in once, or if they were unplugged upon boot and I plugged them back in. And the mic has either worked or not worked whenever it wanted to, not even sure how I got it to work for a short time.
>>
>>62342445
a kernel is a operating system
>>
>>62342441
for i in $(seq -f "%03g" 100 -1 1);do echo "text1-$i-text2" ;done
>>
Apt-get isnt working to install new stuff or upgrade existing things

It says there are unmet dependencies on
linux-image-extra-4-4-0-63generic, but its not installed

I try to use -f like it says and it doesnt fix it.
How can I fix something like this?
>>
>>62342463
ty
>>
>>62342481
you can also just use this >>62342443 version and swap the 100 and 001
>>
>>62342459
Compile and boot Linux, start its graphical interface and command it to browse to 4chan and post that you can operate Linux as system or it didn't happen.
>>
How's the current state of video drivers, 3D graphics and video games in particular?
>>
>>62342524
bout three fiddy
>>
>>62342533
So... Old and overused?
>>
>>62342524
There's no such thing like "3D", Your montor is 2D.
>>
>>62342554
You should be able to infer what I mean, unless you're autistic.
>>
>>62342547
yes, now move along, nothing to see here
>>
>>62342554
My monitor is 3D. ;_; How to enter the 2D world?
>>
>>62342571
Install Source Mage GNU/Linux
>>
>>62342562
I'm just wondering if the drivers are up to par yet, though I wouldn't be surprised to discover there hasn't been any innovation in a decade.
>>
which distro will turn me into a hacker?
>>
>>62342601
BackTrack
>>
>>62342601
Windows 10
>>
>>62342599
there hasn't been any innovation in a decade, now move along, nothing to see here
>>62342601
guixsd, source mage, gentoo
>>62342608
>backtrack
dead, it's called kali now
>>
>>62342622
Sorry I've invaded your safe space, but I'm not leaving until someone that isn't on the spectrum can provide me with a definitive answer. :)
>>
>>62342633
drivers are shite
>graphics dont work
>internet doesnt work
i'm literally posting on windows
>>
>>62342633
The open source video drivers are good on amd cards if you arent running debian or ubuntu
>>
>>62342650
[cititation needed]
>>
>>62342490
I need the new line for each entry
>>
>>62342650
libre*
>>
>>62342660
I'm sorry that you run outdated kernels
>>
What is the best distro to use as daily driver? Should I install Gentoo?
>>
>>62342476
try running aptitude and seeing if that has any suggestions
>>
>>62342703
,I use Alpine on my router,server,desktop and laptop.It's great,give it a try
>>
>>62342703
I like Manjaro. All the upsides of running Arch, none of the hair-pulling.
>>
File: 1489436531547.png (30KB, 625x626px) Image search: [Google]
1489436531547.png
30KB, 625x626px
hehehe
>>

(You)
>>
>>62342703
install debian
>>
>>62342740
good reply
>>
Why shouldn't I just use a BSD?
>>
>>62342795
good post
>>
File: 1503524283044.gif (1MB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
1503524283044.gif
1MB, 250x250px
>It's OK to use the abbreviation “PC” to refer to a certain kind of computer hardware, but please don't use it with the implication that the computer is running Microsoft Windows. If you install GNU/Linux on the same computer, it is still a PC.

>The term “WC” has been suggested for a computer running Windows.

https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/words-to-avoid.html#PC
>>
>>62341258
dumb bash user
>>
>>62341239
>cutting field 1
>sorting
>sorting twice, now by field 1 when there is only one field left already
why
>>
>>62342799
freebsd is horribly coded and insecure, no drivers
openbsd is amazing, but has no drivers or software
netbsd has no drivers

basically, no drivers is what it comes down to
>>
>>62342914
>cutting field 1
so uniq can do something useful
>only one field left already
uniq -c adds a new field, the count, and doesn't sort the output
>>
>>62340288

>paying money for spyware
>>
>>62342983
yeah, but sort sorts by field 1 already, why adding some extra flag for that?
>>
>>62343019
habit
>>
I'm trying to figure out how to install wifi drivers for Manjaro. I've got the driver for it
https://github.com/jurobystricky/Netgear-A6210
But I cannot figure out how to install it and make my computer use it. My wifi dongle is the Netgear A6210, and this is on my desktop.
How do I install drivers for manjaro? I'm assuming an arch guide would also work. The guides on the arch wiki are for specific dongles, and mine is not among them.
>>
>>62341167
$ cut -d ' ' -f 1 ~/.bash_history | sort | uniq -c | sort -nr | head | perl -lane 'print $F[1], "\t", $F[0], " ", "▄" x $F[0]'
rofl 5 ▄▄▄▄▄
top 3 ▄▄▄
ls 2 ▄▄
kek 2 ▄▄
htop 2 ▄▄
rm 1 ▄
l 1 ▄
history 1 ▄
du 1 ▄
cat 1 ▄
>>
File: 1503678605649.png (656B, 165x123px) Image search: [Google]
1503678605649.png
656B, 165x123px
>>62343101
whoops, I fucked up
>>
>>62343101
>kek
what is this?
>>
>>62343151
watch -c -n 1 -t 'printf "pstop - %s\n\n" "$(uptime)"|tr -s " ";ps -eo pid,user,ni,time,pcpu,pmem,state,comm --sort=-%cpu|sed "/%/s/\(.*\)/\x1b[33m\1\x1b[m/"'
>>
>>62343169
>pstop
Neat.
>>
>>62343182
Ty, OC. Took me a while to find out how to add color with sed.
>>
What is the best linux distro for HTTPCs?

The only thing I want to do is read video files stored on a Windows PC on LAN.

Is Ubuntu what Im after?
>>
>>62342296
It's in your bios settings, which are unique to each motherboard. Did you look through the bios menu before posting?
>>
I have a riddle for you. You should be able to explain this:
$ x='ab'; y='cd'; z="$(cat<<<$x; cat<<<$y)"; echo "${#x} + ${#x} = ${#z}"
2 + 2 = 5
>>
>>62343545
>x='ab'; y='cd'; z="$(cat<<<$x; cat<<<$y)"; echo "${#x} + ${#x} = ${#z}"
${#var} = length of var
>>
>>62343545
Actually "${#x} + ${#y}", but it doesnt make a difference since x and y are both 2 chars.
>>62343580
The riddle is about why x + y is 5.
>>
>>62343545
easy:

cat x = 3 characters (incl. newline)
cat y = 3 characters (incl. newline)
= 6 characters
$(cat<<<$x; cat<<<$y) = 6 characters, minus last newline = 5 chars
which makes x + y = 5
>>
File: 1486916796995.jpg (63KB, 566x433px) Image search: [Google]
1486916796995.jpg
63KB, 566x433px
>>62343619
You fucking bastard. Correct.
>>
File: .jpg (53KB, 637x469px) Image search: [Google]
.jpg
53KB, 637x469px
>>62343638
don't fuck with /fglt/
>>
>>62342220
>install spyware
>>
>>62340474
Stop using xlib.

Use xcb retard.

Or maybe use a real toolkit like Qt or GTK+ which will support modern window servers that aren't fucking X11 based.
>>
Which one should I use for excuting scripts when the machine boots, crontab or systemd services?
>>
>>62343695
>using unity
>>
>>62343695
It's turned off now. Stop spreading FUD.
>>
>>62343733
Ubuntu literally injects ads into the core distribution, not just Unity.
>>
>>62343733
>>62343741
>trusting a distro which implemented spyware before
>1 month, 1 year or 100 years ago
>ever
>>
>>62343752
>>62343695
>spyware
It's a service with presents you amazon stuff. That isn't spyware you fucking retard.
>>
Is KDE really the best desktop environment dor people that like windows? I've tried unity and gnome and hated both. I liked mint cinnamon.
>>
>>62343769
>Unless you have opted out, we will also send your keystrokes as a search term to productsearch.ubuntu.com and selected third parties so that we may complement your search results with online search results from such third parties including: Facebook, Twitter, BBC and Amazon. Canonical and these selected third parties will collect your search terms and use them to provide you with search results while using Ubuntu.
Idk man, sounds pretty much like spyware to me.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that you suck for using Ubuntu, I'm just informing you about problems with Ubuntu.
>>
>>62343796
hmm, now im a bit worried.
i use the server edition of ubuntu on all of my 3 servers, this shouldnt affect me right? the version im using is 14 LTS
>>
>>62343796
why isn't there any babby friendly distro which doesn't suck?
>mint; broken trash
>ubuntu; amazon, shit company
which distro does /g/ recommend to beginners?
>>
>>62343730
cron doesn't even do that. anacron and that ubuntu one and so on might but it isn't what they are made for.
>>
>>62343730
Neither. Cron is for running things at scheduled times, it doesn't have a way to trigger on events like startup.
and shitstaind should just be for launching daemons (although it's so unnecessarily bloated it can technically be its own OS and do just about anything including doing your fucking laundry and driving you to work)

But for just running scripts to do some simple tasks at startup you should use your DE/WM to do that. Search how to do it, each one has a different place where you can declare what you want to run at startup
>>
>>62343812
No, this only affects the Unity DE's "dash". You're fine.
>>
>>62343814
Fedora is beginner-friendly, I think.
>>
>>62343814
gentoo
>>
>>62343820
>wants to run a script at startup
>says systemd is too bloated
>recommends installing a DE instead
the state of /g/
>>
>>62343730
systemd is your init system so it should be used.
>>
>>62343814
unfortunately the trade off for being easy to use is that it becomes shit.
>>
My Arch just broke for the nth time on my laptop. What's a good distro with a package manager as good as pacman and doesn't have tedious installation procedures?
>>
>>62343816
yeah, im using ubuntu and my version of cron has a function like that, but i guess it isnt really what cron's for

>>62343820
the machine in question is headless and installing xorg isnt really necessary, unless i do it for the sole purpose of running scripts, which would be kinda silly.

i wish ubuntu had a simple and plain init thingy built in
>>
>>62343945
use archboot to install it
and after you got it up and running, dont do partial upgares, dont edit configs without reading the docs first, always keep past versions of your packages in pacman cache so you can easily downgrade, and keep an eye on the news feed on their home page
it will never break
>>
>>62343948
does /etc/rc.local no longer work with sysd?
>>
>>62343917
truth

that said, nothing wrong with using shitty distro for learning
>>
>>62343545
huh. well, now I know about here-strings:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Here_document#Here_strings
>>
>>62344285
here-docs are nice to when you want to drop some text and don't want to worry about escapings

cat << 'EOF'
random shit
EOF
>>
Daily reminder to stop lowercase posting.
>>
>>62343825
No it doesn't at all, Ubuntu has build in advertisements that most don't know about because they only appear in a few select programs, and they collect more telemetry than any other distribution, neither of these two things are specific to Unity in any way.
>>
>>62344299
Probably a bad example because you can just run cat, type some shit, then press ctrl+d

>>62344453
link? I have only heard about that shit in the unity
>>
>>62344534
It's pretty useful in scripts when you want to drop a lot of text like, for example, a usage text block.
>>
File: 1495969482029.jpg (152KB, 1328x1600px) Image search: [Google]
1495969482029.jpg
152KB, 1328x1600px
>open ubuntu software center
>click program
>says free
>install it
>months later, find out that it's proprietary
well meme'd
>>
>>62345485
>english language, how does it work?
>>
>>62345485
This is actually a feature. Ubuntu is a beginner friendly system; use it to learn about tech trolling terminology.
>>
>>62345485
send a patch correcting it to gratis or no cost.
>>
>>62345709
>correcting it
Away from the common usage? Hmmmm. I'm not sure "correcting" is the correct term there.
>>
>>62343820

>shitstaind should just be for launching daemons
It launches programs after booting, retard. That's exactly what he needs and using systemd is a perfect use case.

>although it's so unnecessarily bloated it can technically be its own OS and do just about anything including doing your fucking laundry and driving you to work)
Nice way to out yourself as a retarded meme spreader who has no real knowledge about the topics he's talking about. Isn't it time for you to look up more edgy opinions to parrot? Because your current ones are becoming stale.
Consisder ending yourself too or at least stop wasting precious scroll-space in this thread.
>>
>>62345958
Could you rephrase you post without using things like 'shit', 'retarded', 'meme' or related things? Would look much more professional and people may think you're actually serious.
>>
>>62346206

No, because "retarded" and "shit" are words which describe that idiot perfectly.

The fact that he thinks only "daemons should be started at boot" shows how retarded he is. He isn't even familiar with the superficial concept of various systemd service files (simple or oneshot) for the person's use-case. Systemd can launch programs which run once and exit.
All he knows is parroting opinions he deemed edgy to appear smart online. Except that he's so retarded that he doesn't realize that he's posting it in a place where people are likely to call him out on his retardation because they are familiar with the topic and can see his bullshit.
>>
>>62346252
This is a friendly thread. Please be friendly.
>>
This is a good thread. Please post.
>>
Hello, I am a long-term GNU/Linux headless user. Pretty much all my servers run GNU/Linux except one FreeBSD. Recently I started to think that I should replace my Windows laptop (Thinkpad) with one that runs GNU/Linux. But now I have a concern, there is so many ways to setup a graphic environment and I am not sure what to use. Xfce/Lxde doesn't look so good, I've used it a bit on live installs for various things. GNOME is alright, but perhaps not for me. I talked a bit over rolling "bleeding edge" with some people and I also realized that a production environment (I compile a lot on my laptop) that is used daily cannot run Fedora/Arch and also I hate frequent updates of 4 GB each week. So what I thought would be a good way out for me in terms of stability and also ease of use is KDE-neon, because that's stable LTS without ads that Ubuntu bring. Any thoughts? Any tips? I am open to everything, I considered maybe i3 is a good pick too?
>>
>>62346887
To obvious trolling.
>>
>>62346887
yes
>>
>>62346887
sure, why not
>>
>>62346887
Just make a VM and see how you like it, first. You know how everything works, so just go around and install a bunch of desktops. And then probably end up with Ubuntu default.
Since when can you not run Fedora though? You can even use it as a server that upgrades every year.
>>
stop considering fedora
its a trolling os for shilling red hat
>>
>>62346950
Yeah I heard you can do incremental updates or somehow edit the update settings to your liking. Ubuntu default is GNOME right? I know it very well, and their latest version seems pretty alright. I guess I could try a bunch of them out, I wish there was some easy way to fire up different desktops on live medium then to install them.
>>
>>62346978
>Yeah I heard you can do incremental updates or somehow edit the update settings to your liking.
Incremental updates with what?

>Ubuntu default is GNOME right?
It's Unity, the 2018 release will be GNOME. Same difference. They're both not like Mac on the desktop, but on the other hand, you do get Linux and the same environment as where you do your work.

>I wish there was some easy way to fire up different desktops
What kind of servers do you use? Debian? It's kind of the same deal, Ubuntu. Just install XFCE, GNOME, or i3, and then click the gear at the login screen to choose which one you want to boot in. Then see what you like best, and get the installation iso for that desktop environment.
>>
File: 2017-09-10-142451_1600x900_scrot.png (341KB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
2017-09-10-142451_1600x900_scrot.png
341KB, 1600x900px
how do i get rid of mountpoints in the places bar? i don't fucking need to see all of my tmpfs mountpoints every single god fucking time i go to upload my animee girl pictures onto the internets.

secondly why is my preview bar on the right changing size like that? how do i fix this shit.

inb4 firefox-kde-opensuse, it FUCKING DIES when it tries to open my folder with 50000 files.

god fucking damnit gtk3 is such a fucking piece of dog shit.
>>
>>62347118
>2ch.hk Russian
>Touhou
I don't know what you use, maybe this can help https://github.com/GNOME/gvfs/blob/master/monitor/udisks2/what-is-shown.txt
>>
>>62347118

PEBCAK, they don't show up on my computer.
>>
is there any good replacement for adobe flash/animation studio for linux?
>>
>>62347265
i don't have udisks neither gvfs. i use eudev with uam for mounting.
>>
Can someone recommend a Markdown editor/viewer which outputs the page as it would appear on a site like Github?

I've already got Typora but it's bloated af.
>>
>>62347339

Good for you.
>>
>>62347460

Use various markdown preview websites.
>>
>leddit goes full botnet
what a time to be alive
https://www.reddit.com/r/technology/comments/6yyc2u/just_a_fyi_but_reddit_is_very_likely_now_trying/
>>
>>62347675
>having a reddit account
found your problem
>>
File: 1490292004399.jpg (54KB, 751x720px) Image search: [Google]
1490292004399.jpg
54KB, 751x720px
>>62347675
>[removed]
>>
>>62347675
>posting on a botnet imageboard about a open source site going botnet
i can tell from your lack of irony that you're americunt
>>
>>62347692
>lebbitor in full damage control mode
>>
>>62347702
we're all there, retard. the fact is if you cared about using a botnet you wouldn't use this site in the 1st place. dumbfuck.
>>
>>62347716
You need to go back.
>>
>>62347723
you need to come out of the closet
>>
>62347692
>botnet imageboard
Do you even computer?
>>
>62347767
show me the source then you edgy cunt
>>
>>62347789
You don't run a website on your computer. It doesn't fucking matter, you dense motherfucker. If you don't set up your browser correctly so shit doesn't fuck with you, it's your problem. Fuck off dumb plebbitor.
>>
>>62347816
then why does it matter if leddit is botnet you terminally stupid cunt
>>
>ERROR: One or more PGP signatures could not be verified!
Honestly, both AUR and mozilla should fucking die
>>
>>62347853
>user error
>blames software
classic
>>
>>62340288
What is a metaphor, anon
>>
>>62347853
>using pgp
>not superior gpg
>>
>>62347866
>user error
>comments confirming issue
>literally worked yesterday
lol ok
>>
>>62347824
Did you even read the fucking link or do you have reading problems?
>>
>>62347853
>uses arch
>shit doesn't work
>posts on /g/ about it
4chan needs better spam filtering
>>
Guys, i failed. I FUCKING FAILED.

I have an Asus W5FM. And after god only knows how many tries i gave up. No linux will be put on that thing.

The reason is that simple. Any Debian based distro fails to give me a working sound.

I'm stuck with "dummy output" and that's it.

I tried literally everything. I executed tens of ALSA troubleshoots, to end up with nothing.

There is simply nothing i can do to fix Debian\Lubuntu\Mint on my system. Nothing.

I fear there is no ALSA model working out for my sound chip: motorola si3054. And that's how i got fucked.
>>
>>62347853
just google for the fucking key you mong
>>
File: Screenshot_20170910_034418.png (917KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170910_034418.png
917KB, 1920x1080px
1 compositing / panel doesnt update when disable (game launch/opengl launch) --> nvidia propritary

2 compositing flashing black screen graphical glitch during compositing enable disable after program launch(default settings uncheck allow applications to block compositing fixes it) ---> ONLY HAPPENS WITH OXYGEN WINDOW DECORATION FOR SOME STRANGE REASON

[eg: Start game > (compositing disable) > quit game (compositing re-enable) > Launch Dolphin > entire screen turns black & glitches out and you can 'wipe away' the glitches by dragging a window]

3 mouse scroll causes garbled text in the main menu and other system settings place

4 really inconsistant mouse scroll rates, painfully slow in menus, very fast in dolphin, etc

5 when hovering over many icons (pinned panel programs, files on desktop) tooltip causes very bad lag / choppy fps (depends on theme, some better than others, breeze is one of the worst for it)

6 glitched text in Ark until you resize, also happens in Open File dialog prompts, only happens when Preview is selected, fixes when mouse hovers over any item. Happens every time.

7 wallpaper settings sometimes doesnt display correct preview, displays wrong wallpaper than what is chosen

8 if you install too many themes/window decorations the default Breeze theme gets overwritten by a randomly installed one? (Removing all themes sort of manages to pull Breeze default back though)

9 firefox turns white screen with loading bar if compositing enables or disables at any time (game launch, opengl program) have to restart firefox to fix (fixed in Nightly)

10 Themes dont uninstall properly. After you click remove, it still shows 'Uninstall' in 'Get new themes'

11 sometimes audio will completely bug out and be totally distorted/garbled until you move the slider up & down a bunch of times.

12 switching default audio to HDMI from the panel menu causes audio to glitch out until you switch back & forth and move the volume up and down, gradually fixing it
>>
>>62348034
>import key
>still doesn't work
wew
>>
>>62340419
does this even work? it looks recursive
>>
>>62348114
you cannot use an alias in another alias
eg.
alias cata='cat a'
alias grepb='cata | grep b'

does not work so i'm going to assume that the same applies to this kind of alias
>>
Any way I can fix tearing once and for all? I am using kubuntu 17.04 and tearing is the one thing I can't fix satisfactorily. I tried changing vsync settings in the composition tab in the settings, but I didn't work. I read I maybe should install another compositor, but I know nothing about that. The one thing that worked is
 nvidia-settings --assign CurrentMetaMode="nvidia-auto-select +0+0 { ForceCompositionPipeline = On }" 

But instead of tearing I get stuttering. I am using nvidia's latest drive on official repository, which isn't the latest drive but it can't be that bad, can it?

Anyone else using nvidia cards having tearing issues in linux?
>>
>>62348445
nvidia-settings

find the resolutions tab i forget which one

Advanced

force composition pipeline
check both of them
>>
File: Screenshot_20170910_105529.png (112KB, 710x816px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170910_105529.png
112KB, 710x816px
>>62348520
Not on my machine. But I suppose that's what I did with my command, right? So, I must choose between stuttering and tearing. What about other compositors, know anything about that?
>>
>>62348568
thats the only thing that works for me.
it shows up on arch

you can do it the cfg way i dunno about that though
>>
>>62348576
Thanks. But I can't be the only one who gets this issue. Where are the other ubuntu users?
>>
How do I reset an extensions settings on Firefox? I removed the "extensions" directory within my profile, but it still remembers them.
>>
>>62341974

Enable both UEFI boot and legacy/compatibility boot in BIOS, then try switching their order/preference.

Try adding a pointer/windows entry to the GRUB/LILO config file, or find a boot manager that supports both, or just convert the openSUSE install from legacy to UEFI.
>>
>>62348568
what driver version are you using? The options has been there since at least version 361
>>
>>62348568
>What about other compositors, know anything about that?
compton works fine for me
>>
>>62348746
It says 375.66. Before this I used unity 16.04LTS and it did show up then.
>>
Are we allowed to talk about Window Managers here or is there another dedicated thread for that somewhere?
>>
>>62348849
only if you use arch
>>
Can I encrypt my boot partition if my mobo doesn't support UEFI?
>>
>>62348881
I do use arch.
>>
>>62342088
Just use a static address. Turn off DHCP and set the DNS server, default gateway, IP, and subnet manually.

If networkmanager will not cooperate edit resolv.conf and dhcpd.conf by hand. Change the files to read only if something starts overwriting them.
>>
>>62342476
Have you check to see if the dependencies you need are in the repos you're using?

It cannot install a package if it cannot find it in any of your repos.
>>
>>62346978
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Releases
They have releases that aren't rolling, but they aren't exactly running long term support for them either.
>>
>>62348445
Okay, I changed the composition method from opengl to xrender and it is much better now, for some reason (not as good as in mac os or windows, though). And apparently this is a thing since 2010! https://forum.kde.org/viewtopic.php?f=111&t=88842
>>
>>62347118
Manually mount your drives in a place that makes sense to you. Make an alias for it
>>
Is it normal for /etc/locale.conf and /etc/vconsole.conf to be empty? I didn't really get the point of its man-page and the arch wiki guide. Should I just edit the empty file. Wat do lads, I am installing arch for the first time.
>>
>>62349237
Then follow the instructions.
>>
>be in ~
>want to delete all files in a folder /some/folder/fileadsadas42843*
>rm /some/folder/file, press tab to autocomplete and then *
>there is actually only one file so it inserts a space
>rm my entire ~ folder

mfw
>>
>>62349494
reboot, start a live system and try extundelete or testdisk
>>
Anyone using ext4 filesystem encryption? Is it something that can be switched on post-filesystem-creation?
>>
Are sysvinit and the traditional init program used by the kernel the same program or are they two different ones?
>>
How the hell do I wipe all bluetooth settings and history on debian 9. I crashed some vms and my host os went read only to compensate. Since then my mouse wont pair with Debian. I used bluetoothctl to clear all records I could find it still wont pair. It sees the mouse and I click to connect it just spins and goes back to seeing it no connection after awhile. Debian 9 mx master mouse.
>>
>>62349987

Ive restarted multiple times so no the os is not read only atm. Just realized I should clear that up. Maybe I should just clear the ctl uninstall bluetooth and restart then reinstall. Going to try that now.
>>
>>62347297
>>62347509
fuck off kid
>>
>>62350008
>>62349987

Didnt help I wonder if I damaged the antenna or something. It sees the mouse but wont connect. Also sees a laptop that came into the area so maybe not damaged.
>>
>>62342601
pentoo
>>
>>62347853
sign it
>>
>>62350473
wtf man? he said hacker not scriptkiddie
what he should do is read lfs and learn cisco
>>
Need a GNU/Linux-libre distro with no systemd. Wat do?
>>
>>62350686
Try the one based on gentoo. Ututo or wtf it is called.

Also, there is a group making a libre distro based on Devuan. Check devuans site for deriv distros.
>>
How do I test Ryzen for segfaults on Arch? The .sh script doesn't work, throws up "install required packages" and exits. Build-essentials isn't on Arch...
>>
File: 1505061838236.png (323KB, 499x583px) Image search: [Google]
1505061838236.png
323KB, 499x583px
>>62350686
Just install systemd, goy. It's for the best.
>>
>>62350686
Linux is terrible, use BSD
>>
>>62350741
>Build-essentials isn't on Arch...

So? Search for it on packages.debian.org or packages.ubuntu.com, see what it depends on and manually install those.
>>
>>62350686
You don't need GNU. Install FreeBSD
>>
>>62350744
Systemd goes against the idea of simplicity to have scripts manage runlevels to make it simple and flexible.

>>62350757
BSD had no runlevels of any kind, it was much simpler but even less flexible for administration.
>>
>>62350764
Doesn't work either
>>
>>62350733
>>62350733
>Utoto
>All documentation is in Spanish
>Hasn't been updated since 2012
Feels bad, man.
>>
>>62350834
"Deleting a small part of a text script file is hard: the post"

current state of Arch Linux users.

echo "Install required packages"
if which apt-get &>/dev/null; then
sudo apt-get install build-essential
elif which dnf &>/dev/null; then
sudo dnf install -y @development-tools
else
exit 1
fi

just delete this part ya ookin dooker
>>
>>62350741
Install Gentoo. It has build-essential built in.
>>
OK apparently the script is retarded and just hangs if it doesn't find apt or dnf, removing that fixed it
>>
>>62350768
BSD was very simple, one plaintext script determined everything unlike sysvinit where all runlevels were in their own directory. This meant you had to only manage one single script, but if you made a mistake it could cause an unbootable system. Some linux distros like slackware are a compromise, it still uses sysvinit but will have runtimes managed by one single script and have sysvinit compatibility for sysvinit scripts.
>>
File: 1477647820332.png (65KB, 215x264px) Image search: [Google]
1477647820332.png
65KB, 215x264px
ApricityOS is dead, backed up my shit and now I need a new distro, thinking of manjaro am I a fucking idiot or should I look at another one? I'm mostly concerned with boot times
>>
File: 1505062549904.gif (4MB, 605x600px) Image search: [Google]
1505062549904.gif
4MB, 605x600px
>>62350902
gentoo
>>
Arch, Slackware or Void?
>>
>>62350902
Void Linux has very fast boot times and it's pretty lean overall. It uses runit for init and xbps package manager. Only downside is that the repo doesn't have as many packages as other distros
>>
File: 1505062717826.png (148KB, 1000x1144px) Image search: [Google]
1505062717826.png
148KB, 1000x1144px
>>62350939
Gentoo Linux
>>
>>62350935
dumb frogposter
>>
File: Clipboard01.jpg (27KB, 372x509px) Image search: [Google]
Clipboard01.jpg
27KB, 372x509px
how do i install opensuse on encrypted lvm? i tried it 2 times and opensuse just dont boot, how do i fix this?
>>
>>62350980
install gentoo
>>
>>62350987
already installed it on your mother last night
>>
>>62350998
You have to be 18+ post post here
>>
>>62350980
gentoo doesn't have this problem
>>
File: 1505063176939.png (59KB, 791x569px) Image search: [Google]
1505063176939.png
59KB, 791x569px
>>62350961
Woah there! Try not to say such hurtful, hateful, and bigoted things about frogposters!
>>
>>62349494

I did a similar thing with an accidental *. Now I know never to use it with mv or rm. Only with cd. Not even copying.
>>
>>62350902

Don't install anything. After the POST screen it will boot really fast into the "No bootable medium found" screen. Fastest boot time ever.
>>
>>62351194
haha this is true!
>>
File: ss.png (117KB, 1120x957px) Image search: [Google]
ss.png
117KB, 1120x957px
>>62340246
check out my setup
>>
File: 1492874728861.jpg (71KB, 639x438px) Image search: [Google]
1492874728861.jpg
71KB, 639x438px
>>62351194
>>
File: 1505063928951.jpg (103KB, 720x960px) Image search: [Google]
1505063928951.jpg
103KB, 720x960px
Does Android count as a Linux distro?
>>
>>62351243
yes, but not.as GNU/Linux
>>
File: 2017-09-10-19:22:22.png (64KB, 782x320px) Image search: [Google]
2017-09-10-19:22:22.png
64KB, 782x320px
>>62351227

Epic! You truly are a programmer creating a lot of programs. You have all right to feel proud for creating all the software and hardware you're showing off in the screenshot!

You just have too much bloat.
>>
>>62351317
>not nvidia gpu
>has a shell, wm and gtk but only 2 packages
>>
soo... i uhh... didn't update my majaro install for like 5 months, and now it broke xorg when trying to update... because the mirrors got fucked up. i updated mirrors using pacman-mirrors -g, but now pacman is fully brick, and complains about librypto.so ... wut broke?
>>
>>62351351
B T F O
T
F
O
>>
>>62351079
Frogposters are not people, therefore they don't deserve rights of any kind
>>
>KDE to this day STILL doesn't have a gui for changing mouse speed
Why? There is a terminal command ready to be used right there, it's just making the gui!
>>
>>62351391
go do it yourself
>>
File: 1505064543449.gif (42KB, 400x204px) Image search: [Google]
1505064543449.gif
42KB, 400x204px
>>62351382
DELET
>>
>>62342961
I'm trying openbsd in a VM and I was amazed that prboom and quakespasm were in the ports tree. I falling in love with the simplicity of it so far
>>
New thread
>>62351446
>>
>>62351317
Yeah, I'm pretty dumb for having installed so much useful software. I'll just delete my account now.
>>
>>62351401
I tried doing a Qt gui once. It's a pain to set the environment.
>>
>>62351466
so now you know why they don't do it??
>>
>>62351497
Because they can't set up a qt environment? How do they do the rest of the gui then?
>>
>>62351558
that's not the point
you wanted something to happen but refused to do it yourself, putting it onto other people but you couldn't do it
so you don't really have room to complain
>>
>>62351579
I don't go around saying I am a KDE developer. And I wasn't complaining, I asked "why?" What's so difficult about it that version upon version comes but this remains unchanged for the past at least 7 years? You are the one who took it as a complaint. Other people would have looked at it as a constructive criticism.
>>
>>62342380
I had only problems with Tumbleweed. It was my first Linux distro. Switched to Arch after a few months. Had only small issues once in a while in the last two years, which were all covered by the ArchWiki, whereas I really felt left alone with Tumbleweed
>>
>>62351579
>expecting people who undertake a thing, to do said thing correctly is wrong
ok bruh
>>
>>62342493
From wikipedia:
An operating system (OS) is system software that manages computer hardware and software resources and provides common services for computer programs.
Thread posts: 323
Thread images: 34

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.