[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Best Quality Codec?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

File: blu-ray-1.jpg (16KB, 500x290px) Image search: [Google]
blu-ray-1.jpg
16KB, 500x290px
Is it pointless to keep straight Blu-ray rips? Is there a more efficient codec that can reduce the file size with no noticeable dip in quality? I've just been using MakeMKV and keeping the unmodified .mkv files on my file server. I'm in no danger of running out of storage anytime soon, but I wonder if I'm needlessly wasting space. To the fellow data hoarders on here, what method do you use?
>>
>>62336174
x265 is pretty good, i use it all the time
>>
>>62336277
Unless you're encoding 4k or sub-1mbps video it's a total waste of time. 10bit x264 does a comparable job way faster.
>>
File: FTlgYit_d.jpg (176KB, 400x1635px) Image search: [Google]
FTlgYit_d.jpg
176KB, 400x1635px
>>62336356
>10 bit x264
>>
>>62336520
>nigga doesn't know that 10bit precission offers better compression not to mention 10bit pipeline preserves gradients better even for 8bit outputs, compared to 8bit pipeline
>>
>>62336174
>Is it pointless to keep straight Blu-ray rips?
ye

>Is there a more efficient codec that can reduce the file size with no noticeable dip in quality? I've just been using MakeMKV and keeping the unmodified .mkv files on my file server. I'm in no danger of running out of storage anytime soon, but I wonder if I'm needlessly wasting space. To the fellow data hoarders on here, what method do you use?
10-bit HEVC @ 22 CRF, faster preset
>>
>>62336174
For archiving? Keep as is.
For personal use? vp9+opus is way more than enough.
>>
>>62336683
>vp9
How many days does it take to encode a 1080p movie with that?
>>
>>62336711
with 8 cores and latest vpxenc, 20 minutes.
>>
>>62336722
I see you have no clue what you're doing.
>>
>>62336789
Yeah, sure.
>>
>>62336683
I'm a bit confused. Why not use archived versions for personal use?
>>
>>62336924
You'll allegedly store the bd-rip away and craft a new personal copy when and if new codecs will come. Something like you do with flac. But hey if you have plenty of space on your spinning disks, go for it.
>>
>>62336975
>store BD AND a shitty VP9 rip
You're really not very bright
>>
>>62336975
I have plenty of space, and I use Plex which can transcode on the fly if bandwidth is ever an issue, but I only use it over a local network so it never is.
>>
>>62337038
You're really pathetic with these wandering for (You)s, my boy.
>>62337056
Well, problem solved. Ask yourself whether you need when you'll run out of space on spinning disks.
>>
>>62336722
>>62336860
Are you this much of a blatant liar irl?

>>62336924
too big
>>
>>62336174
>s it pointless to keep straight Blu-ray rips?
no, /g/ is just full of datalets
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.