[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

This is the book we're using in our Algorithms class. Seems

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 4

File: algorithms.jpg (50KB, 420x475px) Image search: [Google]
algorithms.jpg
50KB, 420x475px
This is the book we're using in our Algorithms class. Seems pretty good so far. Is it worth going through the whole thing?
>>
>>62333031
>Is it worth going through the whole thing?
depends on how much they are paying you
>>
I usually see this book on /g/'s recommend lists, so it's probably worth it. Been meaning to give it a read myself
>>
That book is a much better reference than it is an introductory text. Skimming the whole thing is useful, as is reading sections particularly relevant to a problem you want to solve, but I would never try to inhale that textbook.
>>
>reading books instead of getting shit done

shiggydiggy
>>
>>62333106
Literally never said I don't get shit done
>>
>>62333582
Literally?
>>
>>62333031

No, just use it for reference if you need a specific algorithm.
>>
>>62333031
>This is the book we're using in our Algorithms class
Can someone explain why you need to go to college to read a book?
>>
>>62333630
This. It gives a good fundamental understanding of algos. After that use it to reference.
>>
>>62333031
Just read the material the teacher is going to present in class so you have an idea of what he's talking about, and read it again after class to make sure you got it.
Then solve the exercises.

And textbooks are not novels, you aren't meant to read the from cover to cover, they're meant to be studied.
>>
>>62333751
Structure.

If you can structure your learning independently, more power to you. Most people can't.
>>
>>62333751

A college degree is mostly about signaling conscientiousness and willingness to conform.
>>
I got A on the course after I failed it before
Didn't open the book
>>
>>62334036
This.

>>62334258
Also this.

People that can get cozy and study themselves smarter have all my jelly. I've been trying to learn to do that for years.
>>
>>62333031
Absolutely fucking not.
Just read parts you need when you need them.
>>
>>62333751
lmao i'd like to see you try to teach yourself from introduction to algorithms. you'll barely get anything out of it unless you've already done years of self study on the background it relies on
>>
>>62336381
I can sum the primes under 2 million in a jiffy.
>>
File: 1444859069132.jpg (438KB, 900x2134px) Image search: [Google]
1444859069132.jpg
438KB, 900x2134px
>>62333031
I like the skiena text
>>
>>62333031
its worth to reading this book, but I would suggest you to read some book about discrete math before (if you did not), strong math foundations before algo book allows you to understand algos in depth.
>>
Cormen is the GOAT algo book right by TAOCP series. It's basically SICP of algorithms. It is huge though and some don't like the approach it takes. Stay away if you're not autistic
>>
>>62336781
Can someone define 'discrete math'? Like which topics should I look into, because discrete math seems to be a bunch of random shit.

>reminder that Google is abusing their captcha service, making us work extra hard for their AI
>>
>>62337728
>discrete math
look up the playlist "MIT - Discrete Mathematics" on youtube. also, you can force old text captchas if you use 4chan x.
>>
>>62337796
I got two playlists. I'm watching the "Mathematics for Computer Science" Lecture 1 video, and enjoying it a lot.

Thanks, Anon.
>>
>>62336565
Which of these are the real deal and which are memes?
>>
>>62333106
>Implying you can learn anything without some base.

You must have had a really rough time learning English without parents to listen to, pooloo. Fuck off.
>>
>>62334720
>after I failed it

Well, I would hope so. If your professor is even half decent, their lecture will basically explain the whole book and more anyway. You are a moron for failing. Your professor is good for teaching your dumb ass and getting you through the course the second time when algorithms is a cakewalk for anyone with even a remotely mathematical mind. Shit like complexity and why things like bubblesort suck are intuitive.
>>
>>62336565

Knuth is going to die before he finishes the series. Fucking lock him up and force him to finish before he takes a dirt nap.
>>
>>62339082
learn you a haskell is a literal meme book. i hate that it's one of the best books on haskell out there for people who don't know the language. it's a fusion of reddit and tumblr in humor, and it's chock full of it. it's not programmer humor you find in book written by middle aged guys. it's reddit humor written by a millenial. fcking hate it
>>
>>62333106
How are you getting shit done if you don't know how to get shit done?
>>
>>62333031
If you get a chance, absolutely go through it. For the purposes of your class, no that's an insane amount of time to spend.
>>
>>62333031
Yes. Learning algorithms is the first step towards becoming an actual computer scientist, and not one of those faggy hipster "coders" who wage slave from job to job, replaced by pajeet every time until they're finally considered too old for a software company to hire
>>
>>62340631
Lol post a joke from it. So every other book recommendation in it is good and up to date?
>>
>>62340631
Haskell itself is a meme. What do you expect?
>>
>>62336436
>in a jiffy
Is that a valid measure of time?
>>
>>62342710
It is if you are a tosser.
>>
>>62333031
>don't know shit about CS or even programming
>pick up the ebook accidentally
>get halfway through before I realize I can actually understand wtf I'm reading
I-is this my calling?
>>
>>62344164
No. Algorithms != programming. Algorithms are logic. Just because you can understand basic logic, does not mean you can put it to practical use or know anything about syntax / application.
>>
>>62344293
>basic logic
You have read the book anon right? The equations in there aren't exactly high school level.
>>
File: webcam-toy-photo2.jpg (29KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
webcam-toy-photo2.jpg
29KB, 800x600px
>>62344338
>t. Highschooler.

At most, there is basic calculus. I have the book myself. If you think that is complex, you obviously are like 16. Fuck off.
>>
>>62344293
you sound like a real fag m8
>syntax
oh wow, how hard, describing something with a small, strict vocabulary, how hard :o
>application
>practical use
vauge buzzwords

you sound like the kind of jackass that dies a little on the inside everytime he doesn't get to confirm he's the smartest person in the room (by his own metrics)
>>
>>62344524
You sound like a child that calls names when his wittle brain is insulted. I simply stated the truth: algorithms are not programming. They are used in it, but they are not it.
>>
>>62344535
he never claimed they are, einstein
>>
>>62344553
Then, what are you claiming? All I am hearing is insults. I used common jargon typical of anyone that knows the material. >>>/b/ is that way if you want to go act like an idiot.
>>
>>62333031

I prefer books that have kode too

so you can implement shit in your low level language of choice and learn/be prepared for the real world

purely theoretical "knowledge" is fucking worthless knowledge
>>
>>62336565
Where can i find these books online?
>>
>>62346972
Search: "[name of book] pdf" in your autistic browser of choice
>>
>>62336140
It's also about the connections you form. Networking could get you a better job.
Thread posts: 48
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.