[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Dear /g/ I don't start community college until January.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 3

Dear /g/ I don't start community college until January. Ive dabbled into python and C#. I want to continue with C# and learn C++ afterwards. I'm a 19 year old geek who clearly just got into coding not too long ago. What advice do you have that I can prepare by practicing within these months? What math should I brush up or learn? Anything else? I didnt take AP classes in highschool.
>>
Damn.
>>
lmao good luck with those salaries
>>
>>62317106
I should've stated I plan to transfer to a proper university.
>>
>>62316510
Find an area of computing that interests you and delve into it. I wanted to know how people develop bots for MMO'S so I learned C, assembly (x86) and some basics of the windows header file. I learned about the underlying hardware more than anything. I never built anything useful, but I had fun reading through most of it.

As for learning to code, I did most of that by building a sudoku solver in C. I built my own file parser and set of data types (linked lists and hash tables), I learned a hell of alot just from those 2.

Literally just find something you want to do and do it, the materials to build it are online somewhere.
>>
>>62316510
>community college CS
>math

lmao

Worry about brushing up your math when you have your transfer acceptance.
>>
>>62317440
Read the whole thread instead of shitposting. Fucking dweeb
>>
As others have stated, the key is finding something you love. When I started programming I was all about video game development. Later on I got into robotics, machine vision and other cool stuff.

I guess the biggest question is - are you into learning programming and doing it for fun? Or are you just into passing the college tests?
>>
File: guideTo1stLanguage.png (74KB, 661x716px) Image search: [Google]
guideTo1stLanguage.png
74KB, 661x716px
>>62316510
>What advice do you have that I can prepare by practicing within these months?
No one give a flip about programming languages (unless you are a looking to be a code monkey). You didn't mention an interest in anything (like comm. systems, signal processing, electronics, machine learning, cryptography, robotics). Use your time before and during CC to find some areas of interest to you. In my opinion, programming isn't all that important. There are some really smart people who perform difficult tasks using programming languages...but you would never get those types of jobs because you were only good at "c++". You would need a solid background in something else. Programming is a popular topic on /g/ because it is easy to get into. Don't let /g/ be a guide to your future.

>What advice do you have that I can prepare by practicing within these months?
So assuming you aren't some kid posting here (like so many do) and you are actually attending a CC in the winter. Find a non-programming topic that is interesting to you. If you are interesting in a particular programming language then continue to do tutorials and keep practicing.

If you want to be a code monkey then find the "it" language and learn that one.

It is hard to give you any specific suggestions because you didn't say why you were going to CC or what you want to do after you get a degree. You just mentioned some programming languages (which makes it seem like your underage...desu I don't care about your age).

Good luck.
>>
EUfag here, how do burgers switch to uni after community college? Isn't it better to improve high school degrees in a high school and take the SAT test? Please enlighten me, ur education is very confusing and complex
>>
>>62316510
online courses for CS are extremely, extremely good. you could start intro to CS at Harvard right now, for free:
>https://www.edx.org/course/introduction-computer-science-harvardx-cs50x
this continues all the way up through advanced topics like computer graphics and machine learning

getting started on this shit is intimidating. it would be pretty fucking impressive if you could just grind it out. it's more feasible to follow one online course as a supplement to IRL courses. but if you're ever disappointed with the quality of an IRL course, know that you have online alternatives

the most important math for programmers is basic linear algebra, i.e. vectors and matrices. every programmer i know has at some point gone back and taken a remedial linear algebra course. you don't need to know advanced shit; you just need to know basic things like matrix multiplication. you'll see why it's important later
>>
>>62316510
As someone who is older than 19 let me give you some advice. That image you posted is a trap and a road to hell. If you choose a career based on how much money it makes rather than how much you enjoy it, you're gonna have a bad time.

Fuck the money. It should not be a priority for your life choices. Delete that image off your PC ASAP
>>
>>62318925
>switch to uni after community college
Community college is _much_ less expensive than state and private universities. I am enrolled in a CC that is offers transfer degrees for specific unis, and even has on-campus counselors for those unis. If you are like me, and didn't apply yourself in HS and can apply yourself to maintain >3.8 GPA throughout your time at CC, your transfer is almost guaranteed (especially if you actually keep in touch with counselors and declare your interest early).
The only downside I have came across is missing out on the "college experience," but lets be honest, anyone on here most likely wouldn't participate much anyways.

tldr; it's cheaper, convenient in that it's close to home, and a great option for those who didn't take HS seriously.
>>
>>62319497
So community college in America is a place for people who didn't take high school seriously and you can work on courses in community college for a transfer to a university? We have something similar here, but what's the difference between a college / university?
>>
File: 1481312879672.png (549KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1481312879672.png
549KB, 1920x1080px
>>62318702
I like video games. It'd be cool to make my own 2d games and work with a team for atleast one 3d game. I'm interested in all the things that can be done in programming. Like creating a piece of software that can be beneficial to one or something just visually appealing (see youtube channel The Coding Train).
>>
>>62319695
>a place for people who didn't take high school seriously and you can work on courses in community college for a transfer to a university
That's my case, but not the norm I'd say. There's a lot of worker retraining, specialized training (vocational) that often only takes 1-2 years max. A lot of people are just attracted to the lower price, and transferring is easy enough.

>what's the difference between a college / university?
CCs typically only offer 2 year degrees and vocational training. Unis are much more respected (for lack of a better word), and offer both undergrad and graduate degrees. The typical higher education path that most people take is a Bachelors(4 years) from a university.
>>
>>62316510
>advice
Ok, its almost always a dead end path. You are going to be working for slave wages, nobody will respect you, all of your hard work will be stolen by a business major, and you will be replaced by pajeet or a feminist at some point(sooner rather than later)
>>
>>62319912
>you will work for slave wages
>OP image clearly states the average salary is ~100,000 for any language
rly makes u think huh
>>
>>62319983
>rly makes u think huh
about the type of dumbasses that believe everything every picture on 4chan tells them?
The shit starts off at around 20k, and most programing jobs are in clusterfuk citites where 100k doesnt mean a damn thing because rend is 2k for a single room in some guys house, gas is 10/gallon and a gallon of milk is 8

100k per year in san fransisco is not the same as 100k per year in bfe indiana
>>
>>62319792
Now it makes sense to me. Good luck anon. There are lots of old people on universities so it's never too late to study and nobody needs to know your age so don't get too anxious about it. Also don't try to become a game dev, instead learn how to program and read more into computer science because it doesn't teach you how to program, most of the exams is about math. Also, don't listen to /g/, computer science is not a meme.
>>
>>62320074
I'm not OP, but in a very similar spot. Either shooting for one of the big four or web/mobile. Thanks anon.
>>
>>62320055
Fuck. So I guess current programmers are affluent kids?
>>
>>62320205
Nah, some people just fell for the tech giant meme, and relocated to SF, making 6 figures and living slightly above the poverty line.
>>
>>62320205
Im not saying _all_ programing jobs are soul sucking dead ends. There are a few people that luck out, but not that many.
>>
>>62320447
Oh wow, that's awful
>>
>>62318757
>There are some really smart people who perform difficult tasks using programming languages...but you would never get those types of jobs because you were only good at "c++".

Sort-of true, but not always. I'm good at my job because I'm intimately familiar with C++ and I translate the ideas and theories of my co-workers (physics and math guys who are mostly generating ideas and conceptual pseudo-code with me) into a functional prototype. Later on, I pick up a team of other C++ guys like me to hammer that into production quality software for the company.
>>
>>62316510
learn how to suck dicks. you'll need it when you are unemployed after graduating.
>>
>>62316510
>C a subset of C++
i have to take this shit serious? after that statement?
>>
>>62322406
For who?
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.