[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>be american >get doxxed So if you're American m

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 341
Thread images: 36

File: equishit.jpg (25KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
equishit.jpg
25KB, 900x900px
>be american
>get doxxed

So if you're American most likely your private data including your social security number has been leaked.

How fucked are you /g/?

https://www.nbcnews.com/tech/security/massive-equifax-data-breach-could-impact-half-u-s-population-n799686

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHcGVOJXRzI
>>
File: 1367395357920.jpg (19KB, 336x349px) Image search: [Google]
1367395357920.jpg
19KB, 336x349px
>>62311380
I'm already fucked
>right before obamacare
>heath insurance security breach
>didn't let anyone know for 7 months
>someone using my SS number, can't get obamacare, send them my dox and I'm still not """verified"""
>SS office says lol not our department
>btw your SS number is highlighted in pink, means pending criminal charges
>never had criminal charges before
>cops can't do shit
>have to provide a fuckton of personal information now to """verify""" it's me to anyone who needs it
>all that information is now probably hacked
the botnet was a mistake
>>
File: 1504247988611.png (184KB, 713x509px) Image search: [Google]
1504247988611.png
184KB, 713x509px
Jokes on then , I have 0 credit
>>
There's an easy way to solve it, contact all the credit bureaus (there's three big ones and one minor one) and ask for a permanent credit freeze. Not that worthless "monitoring" crap, a full freeze. Once that's in place anyone who tries to obtain credit in your name won't be able to, because the lender will try to pull your credit file and get a message saying "We won't give you this information, don't lend to him"

This also stops you from getting credit, but you shouldn't be doing that on a routine basis anyway. If you want to get a mortgage or a car loan you contact the bureau and say "unfreeze my file for X business days" and get your loan.
>>
>>62311469
Doesn't matter, they still have all your info.
>>
>>62311380
>most likely
No. This affects a large minority but odds ate that your data was not leaked, at least in this incident.
>>
>>62311478
But I have no credit cards

Am I missing something
>>
>>62311489
Doesn't matter if you have a credit card. They know everything about you, from late rent payments to your SSN, address, DOB, name, etc. even if you've never given it to them.
>>
>>62311489
yeah, missing your ssn, home adress, etc etc
>>
>>62311499
lmao
>>
>>62311380
>in multiple database dumps from hacked sites
>voter registration is public
>home ownership records public
>credit report is now leaked
fugg
>>
>>62311380

frozen credit with all bureaus
>>
>>62311498
How do they have access to this though
>>
>>62311380
>Based on the information provided, we believe that your personal information may have been impacted by this incident.
wonderful
>>
>>62311604
because equifax had access to this information and their data got breached

holy fuck can you read?
>>
>>62311634
But why does Equifax have access
>>
I already had my info leaked when they hacked the GSA for my clearance.
>>
Should i bite the bullet and try the site?
>>
>>62311380
Not just American. Canadian and Brit, too.

Anyways, copypasting a solution:

>Ok. Here's the solution: Credit Karma covers Equifax and TransUnion scores. Credit Sesame uses Experian.

>Credit Karma offers weekly updates, Credit Sesame offers an update per month, but Credit Sesame allows daily updates if you want to pay (2 bucks for a week of daily updates, 30 days for 5 bucks).

>Both offer detailed breakdowns of what accounts you have, as well.

>1 update per month isn't ideal, but I can't find a free service that updates Experian more than once per month.
>>
>>62311649
we're all asking that question now thanks to this breach and I have a feeling there's really no answer, they just do because they have their hands dipped in everything related to your credit and SSN
>>
>>62311649
Because they want as much access to your financial history as possible in order to accurately measure your risk level.

You can bitch about this, and you aren't wrong to, but it's a waste of time. You are playing the credit game whether you want to or not.
>>
>>62311649
they just do anon, it's fucked up but right now it's about safety then about answers
>>
>>62311649
You can't dodge the score companies.
The moment you do any transaction in the financial system, be it rent a house, get a debit card, etc you are in their database.
>>
>>62311489

You don't have to have credit cards to have a credit score. Ever taken out a loan, student loans maybe? Credit. Have home or auto insurance? Credit. Have a savings account? Credit. It's all tied together.
>>
>>62311699
>Safety
Either monitor your own shit, or pay someone like lifelock to monitor it for you (and offer insurance). There's literally no other answer, which is why Equifax is offering a year of free monitoring/insurance to those they believe are affected by the hack.
>>
>>62311723
Not just that. Rented from a corporate apartment? A job? Either of those can report to the credit agencies, as well.
>>
>>62311725
thats "safety" anon
for now
>>
File: wut.png (65KB, 653x209px) Image search: [Google]
wut.png
65KB, 653x209px
>>62311380

Isn't this literally insider trading?
>>
File: 1500676783951.png (129KB, 2000x2000px) Image search: [Google]
1500676783951.png
129KB, 2000x2000px
>"Equifax was founded in Atlanta, GA, as Retail Credit Company in 1899. The company grew quickly and by 1920 had offices throughout the US and Canada. By the 1960s, Retail Credit Company was one of the nation's largest credit bureaus, holding files on millions of American and Canadian citizens. Even though they still did credit reporting the majority of their business was making reports to insurance companies when people applied for new insurance policies including life, auto, fire and medical insurance. All of the major insurance companies used RCC to get information on health, habits, morals, use of vehicles and finances. They also investigated insurance claims and made employment reports when people were seeking new jobs. Most of the credit work was then being done by a subsidiary, Retailers Commercial Agency.

>Retail Credit Company's extensive information holdings, and its willingness to sell them to anyone, attracted criticism of the company in the 1960s and 1970s. These included that it collected "...facts, statistics, inaccuracies and rumors… about virtually every phase of a person's life; his marital troubles, jobs, school history, childhood, sex life, and political activities." The company was also alleged to reward its employees for collecting negative information on consumers.

>As a result, when the company moved to computerize its records, which would lead to much wider availability of the personal information it held, the US Congress held hearings in 1970. These led to the enactment of the Fair Credit Reporting Act in the same year which gave consumers rights regarding information stored about them in corporate databanks. It is alleged that the hearings prompted the Retail Credit Company to change its name to Equifax in 1975 to improve its image."

I guess I deserve what happens to me for not doing the research on these dumbfucks before I used them on my annual credit report.
>>
>>62311754
Yes. I'd be shocked if there weren't arrests made. This is open and shut insider trading. They waited a full month to disclose the breach because they wanted to sell off their shares of stock. Not only did they do a mountain of potential harm to consumers, they literally manipulated the situation to protect themselves.
>>
>>62311754
No it's just abandoning ship before you turn on the alarm
Which is fucking close
>>
>>62311758
You don't have a choice. Nobody signs up to the Big 3, and I'm pretty sure you can't even opt-out.
>>
File: G1.jpg (13KB, 362x220px) Image search: [Google]
G1.jpg
13KB, 362x220px
>>62311723
>>62311675
>>62311716
>>62311686
>>62311699

I am become death , the destroyer of worlds.
>>
>>62311766
That's literally insider trading. It's having information that isn't available to the public, and using it to benefit/protect yourself.
>>
thinking financial fraud committed using your identity is the worst of your problems. nope because if you jump through a gorillion hoops you can get a chance to clear your financial record. the worst of your problems is medical because legally required that your medical record can never ever be cleared. so you might die because the person who has your identity has a different blood type than you do for example.
>>
>>62311781
Jew retribution when
>>
>>62311424
Yet there are people on /g/ right now who mock those doing what they can to circumvent the botnet.
>>
>>62311793
btw I should add that there are not just three credit reporting companies. I have a 250kb txt file with notes I've taken back when I was researching these. There are many many different kinds of credit reporting companies. You literally can't do anything without your data getting sucked up into the botnet.
>>
>>62311799
At this point, it's not a concern. Worry about what you can control, and ignore what you can't.

Credit scores are the closest thing you can get to a video game IRL. You can manipulate the rules for maximum gain, but those same rules can manipulate you, even unfairly. Make their weaknesses your strengths, and defend your weaknesses.

If you aren't monitoring your credit by now, you need to be.
>>
>>62311826
You can't circumvent this one unless you are a literal hobo.
Even then you'd be registered as "Loss" in one of the bureaus.
>>
>>62311380
Why does all this seem so fake? I feel like whatever happened didn't happen by mistake by any of the parties involved.
>>
>>62311723
>>62311739
Those really don't use credits, although they are all owned by the same three for-profit companies.

Bank accounts uses chex systems
Insurance uses CLUE reports
Employment/Government uses The Work Number

Any time you have a banking issue it goes into your chex report.

Any time you file any sort of insurance claim - auto, home, credit card, even squaretrade, it leaves a mark on your CLUE report which will be used to calculate your premium.

Don't even bother lying about your employment history. Most if not all major companies uses the work number now.

To be clear these are all different from a credit score. There's no score. Only a permanent history tied to your identity. An entry level background check goes through all of that and more.
>>
>>62311854
>To be clear these are all different from a credit score. There's no score. Only a permanent history tied to your identity. An entry level background check goes through all of that and more.
They are, but you can bet your ass that at LEAST one of the 3 scoring agencies has all that info.
>>
>>62311489
You can literally never change your SSN. Once they got yours, they got it forever.

They got my info now because of my student loans and work credit check that both went through Equifax. I don't have any credit cards either.
>>
>>62311872
They also have all your addresses, as well as your employment history. Don't believe me? Try signing up for Credit Karma or Credit Sesame. See what they ask for, regarding "verification questions."
>>
>>62311569
Just put your own nudes up and maybe your medical history so you can't be hacked in the future.
>>
>>62311380
That's nothing. This happened to a friend of mine.
>get dns changed
>attacker steals your google account with every login info
>starts streaming every webcam and screen of every device
>follows you with a bunch of people ("the viewers" ) to harass you on every board and game you play
>can't get rid of the virus because is too new
>it cucks you out of the modem, you can't factory reset it
>even if you reset it with a pen it gets reinfected because you can't tell which device is infected because well... virus is brand new
>>
>>62311872
>Site says i wasn't fucked
>know they have no idea of telling if it is or not
I know for sure someone somewhere has my shit
because of student debt, student loans, work shit and otherwise.
>>
>>62311892
I know. They got D.o.B., past/current addresses, parent's names, work history, etc. Everything to take out loans/ get other credit in my name.

I have to get a credit freeze probably tomorrow and see what to do from here.
>>
>>62311910
Windows user? I can't imagine anything getting that kind of access on Linux without a Super User password.
>>
>>62311830
point is that the rabbit hole is too deep to go into it here but I guess here's a starter.

https://www.reddit.com/r/technology/comments/j1mit/how_to_remove_yourself_from

https://www.privacyrights.org/data-brokers

https://www.worldprivacyforum.org/2013/12/data-brokers-opt-out/

https://paranoidsbible.tumblr.com/post/114108745259/opt-out-master-list
>>
>>62311725
They're offering it because they have a clause in their agreement when you sign up to waive your right to be a part of a class action lawsuit against them.
>>
So let me get this straight, even if I've never USED Equifax, or even had a credit card or any other kind of debt, as long as I've done anything financial like opening a checking account or paid rent, now my personal info is up for grabs?

And these avaricious kikes wonder why everyone in history hates them and their "industry". Un-fucking-believable.
>>
>>62311940
You're fucking retarded. Nobody "signs up" with Equifax.
>>
>>62311946
>So let me get this straight, even if I've never USED Equifax, or even had a credit card or any other kind of debt, as long as I've done anything financial like opening a checking account or paid rent, now my personal info is up for grabs?
That is correct.
>>
>>62311926
http://jennstrathman.com/consumer-tips/your-private-info-sold-you-have-a-right-to-a-free-report/

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-in-the-News/The-quot-Work-Number-quot/td-p/2665139
reminder equifax owns the work number
https://www.annualmedicalreport.com/do-a-total-background-check-on-yourself-annual-consumer-reporting-agency/

https://getoutofdebt.org/14925/secret-credit-bureaus-you-dont-know-about-but-they-know-about-you
>>
>>62311946
You messed up confusing personal with private
>>
>>62311946
Yes.
Now you know how credit bureaus work.
>>
File: 192519.jpg (39KB, 225x350px) Image search: [Google]
192519.jpg
39KB, 225x350px
>>62311926
Just be a good goy and stay clean anon
>>
>>62311946
I've already been trying to dump the info in this thread. Have you ever had a job?
>>
>>62311978
There are a surprising amount of people on /g/ who presumed they weren't playing the game, despite it being completely obvious that it is borderline impossible to avoid playing the game.
>>
File: equifax_2.png (19KB, 527x358px) Image search: [Google]
equifax_2.png
19KB, 527x358px
hhhmmmmm
>>
>>62311976
>haha guys I have nothing to hide
We'll see how the open door fags spin this
>>
File: Capture.png (15KB, 378x247px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
15KB, 378x247px
>>62311950
Their service they're offering to people who are affected.
>>
>>62311978 >>62311961
https://www.nbcnews.com/technology/exclusive-your-employer-may-share-your-salary-equifax-might-sell-1B8173066
JAN 30 2013
EXCLUSIVE: Your employer may share your salary, and Equifax might sell that data
The Equifax credit reporting agency, with the aid of thousands of human resource departments around the country, has assembled what may be the most powerful and thorough private database of Americans’ personal information ever created, containing 190 million employment and salary records covering more than one-third of U.S. adults.
Some of the information in the little-known database, created through an Equifax-owned company called The Work Number, is sold to debt collectors, financial service companies and other entities.
"It's the biggest privacy breach in our time
one piece of information is still sacred to most people: their salaries.
But salary information is also for sale by Equifax through The Work Number. Its database is so detailed that it contains week-by-week paystub information dating back years for many individuals, as well as other kinds of human resources-related information, such as health care provider, whether someone has dental insurance and if they’ve ever filed an unemployment claim. In 2009, Equifax said the data covered 30 percent of the U.S. working population,
>>
>>62311978
I mean I've held several jobs, paid rent, held checking accounts in banks and credit unions (never financed a car - cash is king), it's just that I guess I didn't realize that apparently I'm still part of their system.
>>
>>62312005
Now show me where it says you waive the right to sue. Be sure to include the web address.
>>
>>62312006
How does Equifax obtain this sensitive and secret information? With the willing aid of thousands of U.S. businesses, including many of the Fortune 500. Government agencies -- representing 85 percent of the federal civilian population, including workers at the Department of Defense, according to Equifax -- and schools also work with The Work Number. Many of them let Equifax tap directly into their data so the credit bureau can always have the latest employment information. In fact, these organizations actually pay Equifax for the privilege of giving away their employees' personal information.
Equifax turns around and sells some of this data to third parties, including debt collectors and other financial services companies.
Companies sign up for The Work Number because it gives them an easy way to outsource employment verification of former workers. Firms hate taking these calls, which usually come when a former employee is applying for a new job, because they are a costly distraction for human resources departments and open the firm up to lawsuits if someone says something disparaging about the former employee. So they contract with The WorkNumber, which automates the process. In exchange, firms upload their human resources data to The Work Number,
>>
>>62312018
You're pretty naive bro
>>
>>62312018
Whether you realize it or not, you are playing their game. When I registered for Credit Karma, they listed a bunch of streets, and asked which one of them I lived on. The only street I lived on in that list was Huntington Street, which I hadn't lived on since I was 7 years old.
>>
>>62312023
They can destroy you
>>
File: 1494909626826.jpg (7KB, 171x172px) Image search: [Google]
1494909626826.jpg
7KB, 171x172px
>>62311380
It ends now!
>>
>>62312018
even if you think you're off the grid or hidden, you're on. That's the part that is kinda funny to me. Even if you don't want to be and try your hardest you're still there.
>>
>>62312018
there are multiple credit reporting companies dedicated to employment,
there are multiple credit reporting companies dedicated to rentals,
there are multiple credit reporting companies dedicated to checking accounts.
>>
>>62312023
https://www.trustedid.com/premier/terms-of-use.php

in the 'Arbitration' section.

>Notwithstanding anything in this Section, either You or TrustedID, Inc. may bring an individual action in small claims court as long as (i) the claim is not aggregated with the claim of any other person, and (ii) the small claims court is located in the same county (or parish) and state as Your address that You most recently provided to TrustedID, Inc. according to TrustedID, Inc.’s records in connection with this Agreement.
>>
File: 1503729811786.jpg (60KB, 540x532px) Image search: [Google]
1503729811786.jpg
60KB, 540x532px
>>62311910
schizophrenia much?
>>
>>62312043
with so many affected this would surely have to still be looked into right?
>>
>>62312043
>Small claims court
Do you know what "small claims court" entails? If you sue, this shit won't be small claims. It will be class-action.
>>
>>62312068
expect to have more illegal aliens goy
>>
>>62312030
The Work Number offers consumers some benefits. It provides an easy way for prospective landlords to verify an applicant's income, for example.
give to a landlord so he or she can verify that the potential tenant can really afford the apartment.
Kathy Sandy of Sommerville, N.J. was surprised to find that a debt collector had accessed information from her report two years ago, something she learned only when she obtained her "consumer disclosure" from The Work Number.
Sandy's Work Number report, which she shared with NBC News, is 22 pages long -- an amazingly detailed history of every paycheck she had received for years. The first page of the report lists "verifiers who have requested your data in the past 24 months." On the list is "Pressler and Pressler," a law firm that specializes in debt collection. The firm had sued her in small claims court over a credit card debt that she says she was already repaying.
"I found out debt collectors can access this information, which is strange," Sandy said. "I assumed with The Work Number, for that information, you had to have a (passcode) … but they got in, and got it somehow without my consent."
>>
>>62312072
>This arbitration will be conducted as an individual arbitration. Neither You nor We consent or agree to any arbitration on a class or representative basis, and the arbitrator shall have no authority to proceed with arbitration on a class or representative basis. No arbitration will be consolidated with any other arbitration proceeding without the consent of all parties. This class action waiver provision applies to and includes any Claims made and remedies sought as part of any class action, private attorney general action, or other representative action. By consenting to submit Your Claims to arbitration, You will be forfeiting Your right to bring or participate in any class action (whether as a named plaintiff or a class member) or to share in any class action awards, including class claims where a class has not yet been certified, even if the facts and circumstances upon which the Claims are based already occurred or existed.

Maybe go actually read the thing.
>>
>>62312043
https://www.cga.ct.gov/2013/rpt/2013-R-0070.htm

The upper limit for small claims court is 10k or less for 90% of the states, and Tennessee is the highest at 25k. Believe me, if you're suing Equifax, you'll be suing for a lot more than that.
>>
>>62312086
That's regarding Trusted ID, not Equifax.
>>
>>62312081
"The Work Number specializes in employment and income verification. It's direct from the source: the employer. It's current, as of the last pay period. It's delivered quickly -- on demand
confirmed that "pay rate" information is shared with third parties, including "mortgage, auto and other financial services credit grantors,"
"Debt/Collection agencies may request employment information -- which may be nothing more than verifying that a consumer is working where they say they are

an assertion made recently by Equifax CEO Richard Smith in 2009, when he talked about how detailed The Work Number data is. "With FirstSearch and TALX we can provide information about a debtor’s location, income and employment," said Smith in an interview published on NYSE Magazine’s website, "That can help prioritize which accounts to pursue first. If they’re employed, that business has a better shot at collecting what is owed to them."
>>
>>62312100
Equifax owns trustedid
>>
>>62312106
Neat, but you wouldn't be suing Trusted ID. You'd be suing Equifax. Two separate entities.
>>
File: Capture.png (212KB, 968x865px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
212KB, 968x865px
>>62312043
full Arbitration section
>>
>>62312101
at the Privacy Rights Clearinghouse, had heard of The Work Number, but only because some consumers have complained to his agency that the data in its database is inaccurate. Some workers find that when they try to use the information for employment verification, their titles are outdated or otherwise misrepresent their work history, which can be embarrassing for a job applicant.
"I think it is something that would be offensive to many people. One typically considers salary information to be shared by your employer just with IRS," he said.
>>
>>62312115
>TrustedID, Inc. ("TrustedID," "we," "us," "our"), an Equifax company, provides its products to you ("You," "Your")

Note how they didn't include Equifax in the description of TrustedID, Inc. You can still sue Equifax.
>>
I have a job, 1 credit card from my bank, and paid of a Federal student loan and their system says I'm not affected by the hack.

I think its because I don't really sign up for anything online. I don't trust anything with my information unless I have to do it to get by, such as opening a bank account.
>>
>>62312156
It has nothing to do with signing up for shit online. If you have ever lived at a legal address, you're part of their system. You were just lucky on the coin flip of whether you were fucked or not.

My wife has never had a loan or a credit card, and she was affected.
>>
>>62312132
moving on

https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/2010/07/protect-your-identity/index.htm
ChoicePoint Full File Disclosure includes a public-records search, auto and homeowner claims reports, pre-employment background checks, searches for criminal records and evictions, and address history.
MIB consumer file has coded listings of medical conditions and tests, hazardous hobbies, and driving records.
Chex Systems and TeleCheck reports have information about checking accounts.
>>
>>62312156
This guy again: >>62312169
She's also only had a single bank account. Savings. Through a small, local credit union, which was opened for her when she was around six years old.
>>
>>62312169
It could be her job background check. Mine included an Equifax credit check and they gave got a ton of info on me from that.
>>
>>62312178
Nobody is reading this shit, dude. Thus the fact that the only (You)s you are getting are from you.
>>
>>62312184
She has worked 2 jobs in her life. Movie Gallery when she was a teen, and Walmart when she was around 20.
>>
>>62312169
I don't think this has anything to do with luck. I think everybody affected has something in common or everybody in the US would be affected.
>>
>>62312190
Walmart checks your credit history.
>>
>want to check if I'm affected
>too smart to give them data in case they're keeping a database of everyone who checked which hackers will then target

fuck
>>
>>62312201
You don't give full data. Just partial.
>>
635 12 3096

Plz check
>>
>>62312208
You have to give literally the most important part of your social number to check.
>>
Is this Russia hacking the US?
>>
>>62312201
Then just monitor your shit yourself. Credit Karma and Credit Sesame cover all 3 agencies.
>>
>>62311910
no.
>>
>>62312208
you mean my last name and last 6 (yes six!) digits of my social? the only thing they're missing is the first 3 digits. They should have just asked for the full social at that point.

>>62312220
Is monitoring the only thing I can do? Should I freeze my credit score?
>>
>>62312242
>Is monitoring the only thing I can do? Should I freeze my credit score?

You could, but then you will need to keep lifting it (the time this takes varies greatly) for credit checks and the like, and you'll still be exposed during that time. You're looking at a MAJOR hassle. Also, if they have your account info, it's not going to stop the thief from making charges to your account. You'll still need to monitor your shit to make sure that there aren't fraudulent charges.
>>
>>62312269
Alright, thanks for the advice anon. I'll just keep monitoring my profile and hope I'm lost amongst the crows, just like everyone else.
>>
>>62312186
I know that's why I stooped. Not surprised though, I always get ignored when I info dump and then see others post right after asking questions I already posted the info that would answer. Partly due to this tldr culture.
>>
>>62312280
You could also set an Initial Fraud Alert.

https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0275-place-fraud-alert
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (18KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
18KB, 480x360px
Feels good not being affected.

I'm 21 and still in college so they probably didn't have enough credit history for me to be in the system.
>>
>>62312285
People want answers ASAP, not to have to read through a mountain of shit in the vain hopes of getting an answer.

The tl;dr version of this shit is, "Yes, you are part of the game. No, you can't opt out. Monitor your credit, and if you see shit that isn't right, call the reporting company and report that its inaccurate. If you think it was fraud (instead of an error), then freeze your credit or set the appropriate Fraud Alert."
>>
>>62311854
Holy shit I just read the wiki on The Work Number.

>The Work Number collects week-by-week salary information which is as up to date as the last pay period and can go back many years.

How the fuck do they get access to this and why isn't this illegal?
>>
>>62312418
Read the thread. It's an agreement with employers.
>>
>>62312340
Thanks for the reply. But the reason I post sauce is because there are always way too many fake and gay posts with nothing to back it up.
I was just showing that its not just coming from some random anon but really there is no way that the data brokers don't have your personal data. The second you're born they are already putting your data into their systems.
I would add to your comment that there is more you should do than just monitor. I guess I won't provide sources but you should strongly consider flagging fraud alert and also freezing all the reports that they will let you, and also pray to god that your information is not used in regards to anything medical.

>>62312418
Case in point.
>>
>>62312430
Yeah, sorry I wrote that in haste. The rest of the thread has cleared it up. But seriously, how is sharing this kind of personal employment info with other parties not illegal.

We need to have a major party push for increased privacy with regards to this kind of personally identifiable financial/employment/medical info. Fat chance of that happening I know.
>>
>equifaxsecurity2017.com

This sounds like the most blatant phishing website I've ever fucking seen
>>
>>62311760
>I'd be shocked if there weren't arrests made.
lol retard
Drumpf is president. Nothing will happen
>>
>>62312539
it's linked directly from the Equifax site though.
>>
>>62312570
LOL

This releases trumps taxes!
>>
File: 1504462270726.png (15KB, 601x619px) Image search: [Google]
1504462270726.png
15KB, 601x619px
>>62312539
Christ, why are they not using EV for something like this, especially after having a massive data leak like that?
The other one is worse because it alt names to the cloudflare ray.
>>
File: 1498565196401.png (427KB, 1273x1953px) Image search: [Google]
1498565196401.png
427KB, 1273x1953px
>>62312340
Actually I was thinking and realized I completely forgot but awhile ago I did do a summary as a reply to some anon on biz who's identity was stolen. Maybe someone will find this helpful. But you where saying some people just want the immediate answer asap, I think a good idea to take away from that post is that many states have people to help in matters like this and even better they can give you the information that's relevant to your state's laws instead of information that may not apply in your state but does in others.
>>
>>62312605
The signup page has no EV, and isn't secured via DNSSEC.

If my fucking free email provider can do it, why the fuck can't they?
>>
>>62312636
well they did leak everyones details
>>
File: worst security.png (21KB, 966x81px) Image search: [Google]
worst security.png
21KB, 966x81px
>>62312652
One would think that would be a wakeup call, and they would secure it at least as well as 4chan.
>>
>>62312570
this, two scoops and now equifax, it's time to IMPEACH
>>
>>62312636
>If my fucking free email provider can do it
let me guess it's ran by some autist from /g/
>>
>>62312736
It's tutanota, dipshit.
>>
>>62312331
Do you have any student loans?
>>
>>62312802
Don't bother, anon. The fact that the dude is acting like it wasn't dumb luck that he's affected tells you that he's being willfully ignorant in this thread.
>>
>>62312802
Yes.
>>
>>62312840
Then you're definitely in the system.
>>
>>62312812
>like it wasn't dumb luck

If you think this was luck, you are going to look like a fool when the investigation into this hack shows that the people affected all had something in common.
>>
>>62312845
If I'm in the system, why wasn't I affected?

Because there's clearly something unique about the people who were affected. Note that not everybody in "the system" was affected, even within Equifax's records.
>>
>>62312858
>Because there's clearly something unique about the people who were affected
It's literally half of America. I have no idea what 140+ million Americans could all have in common, but 160 million Americans don't do.
>>
>>62312858
No idea. I'm not saying you were affected by the breach, just warning you that it doesn't take much for these companies to get your info. A loan is something they will know about.
>>
>Equifax has established a dedicated website, www.equifaxsecurity2017.com, to help consumers determine if their information has been potentially impacted and to sign up for credit file monitoring and identity theft protection.

We just leaked all your data, buy our product!

It was probably intentional too to normalize data breaches and sell product.
>>
>>62312883
>I have no idea what 140+ million Americans could all have in common, but 160 million Americans don't do.

Having enough of a credit history to be put in another category? Signing up for an online credit report check?
>>
>>62312915
online credit reports is what i'm betting on
>>
>>62312915
My wife has almost no credit history, and her score is around 600. Didn't even check her score until tonight (after checking). My score is 735, and I have 12 years of credit history, and check my credit weekly.

We were both hit.
>>
>>62312935
I have a feeling it is that because I have never signed up for an online credit report check in my life and I am not affected.
>>
>>62312959
My wife hadn't either. She was affected.
>>
>>62312036
^^ This ,I find it hilarious some idiots on here think theyre safe.
Well fuckwits you arent!
>>
>Based on the information provided, we believe that your personal information was not impacted by this incident.

Wow, it's fucking nothing.
>>
>>62312961
Does your wife do anything online that would make her as big of a target as you?
>>
>>62312979
She sucks dog cocks on her webcam.
>>
>>62312979
Nothing that would require any sort of info. She doesn't even have a credit card in her name. She did IRC before Wire became a thing, but that's about it.
>>
Why were 140 million Americans affected and not every single American?

What makes those 140 million Americans unique? What did they or Equifax do to put them in danger?
>>
>>62313006
I'm not saying that there isn't a common thread, but it has nothing to do with having a credit card, having a debit card, having a bank account, or signing up for credit monitoring services. My wife and I are polar opposites in these areas.
>>
>>62312988
proof it
>>
Lel, I always tought that Equifax was a Chilean corporation.
We call here "DICOM"
Well, if you play in the credit system you are on Equifax, you want or not.
>>
>>62313017
Do you both have/had student loans?
>>
>>62313033
I did (they are paid off now). She never went any further than HS.
>>
>>62311472
This, best thing I ever did.
>>
>>62313057
Doesn't that cost money every time you freeze?
>>
>>62311472
>There's an easy way to solve it, contact all the credit bureaus (there's three big ones and one minor one) and ask for a permanent credit freeze. Not that worthless "monitoring" crap, a full freeze. Once that's in place anyone who tries to obtain credit in your name won't be able to, because the lender will try to pull your credit file and get a message saying "We won't give you this information, don't lend to him"
>
>This also stops you from getting credit, but you shouldn't be doing that on a routine basis anyway. If you want to get a mortgage or a car loan you contact the bureau and say "unfreeze my file for X business days" and get your loan.

I did this the same year I graduated from college and got a job. Never have to worry about a damn thing.
>>
>>62313065
$10 per company but it's easy to do and easy to unfreeze for temp or permanent. Better to be fucked out of $30 than for thousands from some fuck buying themselves shit.
>>
>>62313088
Why not just do an Initial Fraud Alert?

https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0497-credit-freeze-faqs

>Initial Fraud Alert. If you're concerned about identity theft, but haven't yet become a victim, this fraud alert will protect your credit from unverified access for at least 90 days. You may want to place a fraud alert on your file if your wallet, Social Security card, or other personal, financial or account information are lost or stolen.
>>
>>62313120
This'll be the third time my information has been fucked over by some retard company. First was Sony, which was just a CC number. Second was Primier, someone opened a CC in my name, I had to close that and then froze my credit. Now with this no one cane do something shifty with my social. They could still charge the CC but that is by far easier to fight than a fraudulent CC loaded to max.
>>
>>62313150
You didn't answer my question. Why freeze instead of just perpetually be on the Initial Fraud Alert (which is free)?
>>
>>62313150
I should note I still occasionally get CC rejection letters says that I was denied due to a credit freeze. I never applied for these cards.
>>62313161
I did do a Fraud Alert when the Premier deal came out. They waited until after 90 days to open the card. This is just far easier to know it's frozen and no one but myself can change that. The money is more than worth the piece of mind it brings. Am I being cucked, maybe but I don't care. It's better than dealing with another CC fraud.
>>
>>62313179
>I should note I still occasionally get CC rejection letters says that I was denied due to a credit freeze. I never applied for these cards.
Why on earth would those letters arrive at your house?
>>
>>62313193
They have to use my address to apply for the card or it will fail on that. It's a good thing too as I never would have known about the original card being opened.
>>
>>62313203
But wouldn't they also mail the cards to your house?
>>
>>62313203
>>62313193
>>62313206

What they do is apply with your name, then go to your address and wait for the mail person to come by, they sort through your mail looking for the card and then leave. My mailbox is locked so they couldn't get into it.
>>
>>62311380
Who the fuck are these people? I've never heard of them.
>>
>>62313215
>What they do is apply with your name, then go to your address and wait for the mail person to come by, they sort through your mail looking for the card and then leave
Didn't even think about that. I've lived at the same place for 5 years, and I don't have a mail box. I have a mail slot in my front door (and no basket attached to the door).

For whatever reason, I completely forgot that this wasn't the standard. Head up my ass, I suppose.
>>
>>62313218
They are one of the 3 big credit reporting agencies. Ever lived at a legal address? Worked a job? Had a bank account? Credit card? Insurance? Loan?

If so, they have your info.
>>
>>62313215
Glad my mailbox is locked down. Holy shit that sounds bad.
>>
>>62313222
>>62313234
Fuckheads who do this don't give a shit about anything. I would bet there are ways to get the number before the card has even been shipped.
>>
>>62312006
what the flying fuck, i want off this ride
>>
>>62313246
Like what?
>>
>>62313230
Good day to be a europoor then.
>>
>>62313251
Canadian and British identities have been compromised, too.
>>
>>62313256
fugg
>>
>>62313263
Proof: https://www.equifaxsecurity2017.com/
>As part of its investigation of this application vulnerability, Equifax also identified unauthorized access to limited personal information for certain UK and Canadian residents. Equifax will work with UK and Canadian regulators to determine appropriate next steps
>>
>>62313250
It's a felony to stake someone else's mail. Most of them are usually crack/meth heads who are looking through the mail since they were told to by the person who actually took the information.
>>
>>62313282
Yeah, but how would you get the info before it arrived at your mailbox?
>>
>>62311472
>>62313057
>>62313081
Probably a stupid question, but does this effect credit cards or anything else one would use regularly? Like if I don't need loans would little to nothing have to change about my day to day life?
>>
>>62311846
vote for people who want to get this shit abolished
>but people would never do such a thing so it is just a wasted vote
>>
>>62313383
Most employers check your credit score before a hire, so yes, it can still affect you, even if you will never need a loan, and already outright own a house.
>>
>>62312570
>Drumpf is president. Nothing will happen
two things that have literally nothing to do with each other, no mater what retard has the white house nothing would happen
>>
>>62313399
US politicians with ideals don't exist
>>
>>62313404
What if I'm self-employed?
>>
>>62313424
I don't see how self-employment will guarantee you never needing another loan or guarantee that you'll never need to get another job.

Keep in mind that if someone fucks with your credit, the lenders can come after you for it if it goes unpaid, even if you don't realize it.

If you never need to access credit, spend the 30 bucks it will take to freeze it.
https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0497-credit-freeze-faqs
>>
>>62313404
>Most employers check your credit score before a hire

Only if you apply to work at a major corporation. Most employers do not check that shit because they don't need to.
>>
>>62311472
Can't the fraudsters call and claim they're you? They're going to have all your personal details, including your social.
>>
>>62313445
>I don't see how self-employment will guarantee you never needing another loan or guarantee that you'll never need to get another job.
I don't expect that it will, I'm just trying to pin down how often I'd need to unfreeze and refreeze my credit if I were to do this. From what I understand so far it seems not too often, so it sounds worth it.
>>
>>62313461
There's no need to check the credit score of cart pushers at Wal Mart, but they still do. Don't think being a blue collar/minimum wage worker protects you.
>>
>>62313479
Only when you need a credit check for something. Phone contract, new bank account, new loan, new lease, new credit card, or a new job are all possibilities.
>>
>>62313483
That's why I said major corporation. Walmart is a major corporation that can check anybody's anything.

Most employers are not major corporations. They don't give a shit. They don't want to check credit scores. They don't need to. There's no point.
>>
>>62313247
that was just the beginning, the rabbit hole goes much deeper, didn't even get the chance to start exploring some other Equifax stuff like Certigy and Identity Report For Landlords which is for "Verify consumer identity, credit worthiness, criminal history, rental history, eviction history, employment background and verification", and more importantly Equifax Workforce Solutions is "one of the contractors hired by the United States Department of Health and Human Services to work on the HealthCare.gov web site".
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equifax
Products
consumer credit and insurance reports and related analytics to businesses in a range of industries
Business customers include retailers, insurance firms, healthcare providers, utilities, government agencies, as well as banks, credit unions, personal and specialty finance companies and other financial institutions.
sells businesses credit reports, analytics, demographic data, and software. Credit reports provide detailed information on the personal credit and payment history of individuals
also provides commercial credit reports, similar to Dun & Bradstreet, containing financial and non financial data on businesses of all sizes.
collects and provides data through the NCTUE, an exchange of non credit data including consumer payment history on telco and utility accounts.
>>
>>62313494

In 2009, businesses with fewer than 100 employees employed 40,128,249 workers, according to the census bureau. That’s about 35 percent of the 114,509,626 workers included in the census data. Now, one should NOT think that all 40 million employees did not have to undergo credit checks, as even small businesses can require it, depending on the job.
>>
>>62313489
Yeah, sounds manageable enough. I'll get started with either this or a fraud alert tomorrow when I'm less drop dead exhausted, as I don't think I'm in the right mind to fully process which would be the better option right now. Appreciate the info.
>>
>>62313500
they could get all of their servers wiped and all of their offices burned down and i wouldn't really feel sorry for the company.
>>
>>62313544
Happy to help.
>>
>>62313494
I would wager that the number of people who crossover with "never have had or will need any sort of credit check for anything" and "have never worked at any job that performs credit checks," is infinitesimally small.
>>
>>62311754
They more than likely had a blind trust that executed the trades -- like most executives do to avoid potential insider trading. Also, last month was start of the new quarter -- I wouldn't be surprised if the trust was just selling off a previous quarter's vested stock options.

If there was collusion with the maintainers of the blind trust and executives, then that's a big deal -- not just insider trading but several federal fraud charges and disbarment against the law firm responsible for the blind trust.
>>
>>62311380
this is what happens when government things are moved to "cloud" services. they are probably hosted on windows xp servers with no firewalls too.
>>
>>62313698
Looking at their claim website, I wouldn't be surprised. See pic here for more info: >>62312691
>>
>>62311649
and who else has access? anything that can be accessed from internet can be hacked and most private companies do not care about security because it does not make them money.
>>
>>62313734
Well, in this instance, their lack of security is certainly going to cost them money. I mean, half of the US is eligible for a class action lawsuit.
>>
>>62313747
The issue is they usually wait until shit like this happens before implementing security measures and then they don't keep up with it and cut costs over time until it happens again. Somehow they never manage to go bankrupt. Amazing.

This will happen again.
>>
>>62313773
I don't think that anything of this magnitude has ever happened.
>>
>>62313800
Not on this scale, no. This is the largest data breach I'm aware of.
>>
>>62313421
What about Ron/Rand Paul and Bernie Sanders?
>>
>>62311380

It is nothing to being American you idiot.

The problem is that internet isn't a secured network and it was never one to begin with.

Encryption just keeps honest users honest. It doesn't stop a determined cracker with sufficient time and resources.
>>
>tfw Equifax employee
Oh boy, I can't wait to for the weeks upon weeks of security training that I have to go through.
>>
>>62314206
What's it like to work for the botnet?
>>
>>62314220
Comfy, but things like this make me anxious.
>>
Why aren't SSN replaced by a public-key cryptography?

* never have to reveal your Social Security Private Key
* your Social Security Public Key can be know by anyone
* authenticate yourself simply by signing a message
>>
>>62314270
>Why aren't SSN replaced by a public-key cryptography?

Because Jews want to continue this stupid system where people can be defrauded.
>>
>>62313851
taking "donations" from presidential parties to not run
>>
File: Whats happening.png (736KB, 1657x1010px) Image search: [Google]
Whats happening.png
736KB, 1657x1010px
They won. Everything is dust in the wind, if necessary. They control what the vast majority knows and cares about.

Game Over.
>>
So... what do we do now?
>>
>>62314359
We die
>>
File: What Is Happening.jpg (2MB, 1424x6698px) Image search: [Google]
What Is Happening.jpg
2MB, 1424x6698px
>>62314359
You can learn that marathon runners dying more from water intoxication than water dehydration is more important that 143 million SS numbers being stolen, along with every bit of information about said 143 million.
>>
>>62311919
You can't do anything like that without the equivalent of superuser access on Windows either, but unfortunately most people are retards and use Administrator accounts.
>>
File: 1486931685141.png (112KB, 500x348px) Image search: [Google]
1486931685141.png
112KB, 500x348px
>tfw the botnet spread to pen and paper
>>
>>62311994
>>62312005
Why are you guys giving these people your information? Did the first time they splooged all personal information of their "customers" over the Internet somehow fly by your head?
>>
>>62314445
>implying we have a choice

>implying they wont pry that info out of whatever your connected to / hired by or was connected to / hired by

>implying those companies wont turn over your info for dosh
>>
>>62314445
>>62314465
Just put the fucking chip in your arm already.
>>
>>62314434
it's always been like this
>>
>>62314471
>be implanted with a 24/7 gps
no thanks

do >>62314270
you fucking jew
>>
>>62313734
TransUnion, Experian, and Innovis. Freeze your credit at all of them, including Equifax, if you don't want to end up like
>>62311424
>>
>>62314481
The chip is easy to implement. Did you play some stupid video game(s) or watch some fictional, dystonia movie(s)? That's not real life. Get with the times.
>>
>>62311380
>tfw you didn't signup for the botnet
>>
>>62313297
>>62313383
Sorry I was building a Lego while waiting for my phone to finish backing up so I can update to Oreo.

>>62313297
They have all day, they just wait till the mail person comes by and waits till they leave and then goes through your mail.

>>62313383
Credit score mainly. This big issue is someone can open a credit card in your name, run up a debt and then fuck off. Meanwhile you have creditors breathing down your neck wanting money for shit you never bought.
>>
>>62314010
The internet becoming big was a mistake.
>>
>>62314499
>buying
>implanting
and
>maintaining chips
is somehow easier than
>printing everybody a public + private key

never work in anything requiring you to think anon
>>
>>62314510
>implying the botnet didn't sign up for you
>>
oh look another thread where /g/ knows absolutely nothing but is panicking as usual

/normieswholovetech/
>>
>>62311994
>Enroll
>you automatically opt out of class action lawsuit
kek

This is scummy as they can get
>>
>>62311483
It was roughly half of the population you fucking retard. 73 million-ish of the population are kids.

If you are an adult, you probably got your information stolen. If you are an adult that has received a loan, you did.

Shits fucking fucked m8, big time. But at least I can rest easy knowing that I can buy the companies protection services. It also helps that I've never had a loan. Not having any credit has finally worked in my favor.
>>
>>62314546
t. Equifax shareholder or identity thief
>>
File: 1504575351339.jpg (72KB, 600x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1504575351339.jpg
72KB, 600x1000px
So let me get this straight. Americans are given a number at birth and that number which can't be changed along with basic information that you'd find on someone's Facebook is all you need to pretend to be that person? And there is no way to change your number, so once someone has it you're fucked forever? That seems like a really poorly thought out system.
>>
>>62314595
yup
worst part?

there is no 2factor auth

literally anyone can pretend to be anyone and they dont need any proof

welcome to highIQland
>>
How do I check if Ive been affected?
>>
>>62314624
you sign up for >>62311994
like a good go- customer concerned about their privacy...
yes....
>>
>>62314595
and get this. the law says it's not supposed to be used as a unique identification XD
>>
>>62314640
Fuck that, is that literally the only way to know? You don't use that kind of doublespeak branding unless you're a zog trap.
It's like staring directly at the sun to confirm that you can indeed still see.
>>
>>62314673
>is that literally the only way to know?
Flip a coin. Heads, you're screwed. Tails, you lose.
>>
File: 1502152624805.png (139KB, 394x360px) Image search: [Google]
1502152624805.png
139KB, 394x360px
>tfw you didn't realize they'd force implants on the populace this fast
>tfw you didn't have any investments in this tech
>>
>>62314407
Man, the sky just got bluer, here in non-America.
>>
File: puke resistant adidas.png (294KB, 409x477px) Image search: [Google]
puke resistant adidas.png
294KB, 409x477px
>>62314708
>>
File: 1471770593216.png (153KB, 438x269px) Image search: [Google]
1471770593216.png
153KB, 438x269px
>>62314704
>this is all a gov scheme to become futurama with tech implants w/ GPS in them
>the leak was intentional
>nobody was really compromised apart from >>62311424
>it was all a public scare to increase the gov botnet's power
>>
File: News.jpg (1MB, 1394x4914px) Image search: [Google]
News.jpg
1MB, 1394x4914px
>>62314407
>filter it down to "News" instead of what Twitter employees deems the most important for the populace
>still this far below
>>
>>62314270
I suspect not enough companies want to spend the money for changing all their systems to having digital signature for transaction.
>>
>>62312604
Damn, I wonder if they obtained them.
>>
>>62314742
The small Wisconsin company who got all their employees to get chips was also intentional. Some benefactor got a company to do it by slipping them money, knowing full-well that the media would throw 1000 articles out about it, just as they did.
>>
>>62314801
Make it a law.

Many companies also didn't like environmental protection laws. It was much easier to just dump hazardous waste into rivers.
>>
>>62314579
I'm a shareholder. I have vested interests. Not op though.
>>
>>62313773
This isn't the first time Equifax was hacked.
>>
>>62314824
I'd rather see credit issuers and bureaus held accountable for issuing credit to the wrong people. Call it fraud. SSN was never intended to be used as identification and authorization.
>>
File: 67%.png (62KB, 1412x640px) Image search: [Google]
67%.png
62KB, 1412x640px
>>62314794
>see pic related
>related link: "Tech Billionaires Are Asking Scientists For Help To Break Humans Out of Computer Simulation"

Uhm, anons, isn't this literally the tale of the Tower of Babel? Didn't "God" smite them down after trying this?
>>
whats the deal with debt collectors anyways? they know they are not getting my money so they just call and stay silent the rare time I do answer.
>>
>>62314935
You're doing God's work. Please continue to default on your debts anon. If everyone did this all the sub-prime lenders would be fucked and they wouldn't be getting another round of bailouts this time. The financial institutions need to collapse. We need a big crash to reset the system and allow us to rebuild it the right way. Right now we're trying to build on a tower of matchsticks.
>>
File: 124543234.jpg (29KB, 600x494px) Image search: [Google]
124543234.jpg
29KB, 600x494px
>>62312331
Can't have a credit breach if you don't have credit
>>
>>62311649
Credit score agencies keep track of all your personal details that can be used to assess the degree of risk you pose when seeking credit.
Credit can be an overdraft, a mortgage, any kind of loan, a credit card, contract phone bill.

So the details of your bills, where you've lived (so how stable your address might be), any past credit, how well you've handled debt and the relationship you have with your money in your account; can all be used to build a picture of how dependable you are with money and your ability to pay things reliably.
That's why they have this. Even if you don't seek credit there are details present in the event that you might. I
>>
>>62315091
Yes you can as has already been pointed out numerous times ITT. Your information gets reported to credit agencies when you open a checking account or get a job. You don't have to have any established credit for them to have you on file.
>>
>>62312331
Do you have a bank account or have lived somewhere?

Everything is recorded. Being registered to vote, renting, paying bills, opening bank accounts, searching for car insurance quotations online lol.

YER FOCKIN FOOKED M80
>>
>>62311380
They should just give everyone a new SSN and absolve all liens.
It's only fair.
>>
>>62313476
Deletr this. The system has safeguards in place. It's infalible.
>>
Anyone have the dump?
>>
>>62312115
This only affects their credit monitoring service. A class action will still happen.
>>
>>62315219
This. I agree with this.
>>
Here's what needs to happen:

1.) The government needs to step in and seize all of Equifax's assets and liquidate them.
2.) The assets need to be divided up and disbursed to the effected customers.
3.) A criminal investigation needs to be opened up on the CEO of Equifax as well as all other high level employees, especially the three that may have been involved in insider trading. Anyone who is found to have made cuts to cybersecurity or who knew about the exploit and failed to report or take action on it needs to have the book thrown at them. Life in prison with no possibility of parole. Financial crimes are real crimes and they need to be treated like it.
4.) In addition the IRS needs to immediately freeze and audit the personal assets the of all the aforementioned parties as part of the criminal investigation.

This is just what needs to happen to Equifax. There are a host of other sweeping financial reforms that need to happen on a higher level as well.
>>
>>62315342
email trump whitehouse with this. srsly. Kind of curious how he would respond.
>>
>>62314650
And it likely won't be for much longer after this breach. Really, this is more of a blessing - an overhaul of security is better than keeping a broken system around while a large amount of identity theft goes on year after year because we believe it's safe enough.
>>
File: 1500903763785.jpg (32KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
1500903763785.jpg
32KB, 640x360px
>tfw no new lines of credit in my name
>yet
>>
Why are none of these retarded fucking companies encrypt their db? How many people need to get fucked before they realize?
>>
>>62315479
Encrypting, Jesus I feel like a pajeet
>>
>>62315479
They did. They just didn't salt the appropriate hash. Peppering isn't even a thing in entreprise systems yet.
>>
>>62315479
Boomers are retarded and can't into technology. If you told me they were storing everyone's personal information in notepad on a machine running Windows XP I'd probably believe it.
>>
>>62315505
Well by encrypting I obviously meant salt+hash, not just some throwaway technique that may work on a blog.

Seriously, there's like one leak I can think of where the info was properly secured, and that was Valve.

This shit just makes me mad as fuck because I know all my info is stored insecure.
>>
File: 1487349247610.png (81KB, 409x406px) Image search: [Google]
1487349247610.png
81KB, 409x406px
>>62315549
>have more faith in valve keeping my data safe than aniki
>>
>>62314595
idiots use the social security number as verification. so many places ask for it even if they dont need it that theres a 100% chance that it will be leaked some day.
>>
>To check if my personal information was comprised from an equifax database, I need to enter my personal information into an equifax database.

This is un-fucking-believable.

Also, using their new "security site" enrolls you into one of their products("free"), which per the TOS, you agree not to sue them, and, after x amount of time, have to pay for the product their offering for free.
>>
>>62315582
Of course. It's probably out there and has been for a long tim. Your best (only) bet is to just stay vigilant with your financials
>>
File: 1484780530593 (1).png (422KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
1484780530593 (1).png
422KB, 600x600px
>>62315631
>To check if my personal information was comprised from an equifax database, I need to enter my personal information into an equifax database.

anon....
how the fuck would you find out if you was compromised if you DIDNT input personal info?
>>
>>62315646
I think the irony flew over your autism.
>>
>>62311659
You waive your right to a class action lawsuit if you use the website. Also the website is running WordPress, so they've got that locked down for sure.
>>
They should hang for this.
>>
>>62311380
>146 mill fullz
holy shit, someone is going to make mad shekels with that hack
>>
>>62315772
Heh. Dick Smith, the Equifax CEO, will now be the next chairman of the FCC

You heard it here first
>>
>>62311380
considering im poor as dirt, it be hilarious to see someone try to use my identity.

i couldn't even get a loan for a hamburger.
>>
>>62315802
[citation needed]
>>
>>62315818
That doesn't matter, Anon. They can still use your identity for shit, thus making you more poor than you already are, essentially forcing you to be poor for the rest of your life.
>>
>>62311872
>You can literally never change your SSN

Yeah that's not true.
>>
>>62315841
Can these companies sort of freeze and revert to a snapshot of people's credit history before the big hack happened.

Once they do that can they not either look for inconsistencies in financial behavior that would suggest fraudulent activity or use the credit history freeze to reassign social security numbers and issue new credit cards.
>>
>>62314595
it needs to be replaced with public key crypto. that way someone would have to steal your private key to impersonate you. not impossible but a heck of alot harder than an SS number.

PGP could literally replace the SS system.
>>
>>62312528
>We need to have a major party push for increased privacy
Won't happen. Both major parties are either funded by people who benefit from data like these, or themselves benefit directly.
>>
>>62315885
Sure they can, no doubt. Will they? Fuck no. Lulz.

It's up to you to freeze your own shit, though, which you can if you want.
>>
>>62315802
FTC is more likely
>>
>>62315915
Okay then, how do we eliminate lobbying from politics altogether so we don't have to worry about who funds who?
>>
>>62315909
A majority of PKI authorities are themselves misconfigured such that they're vulnerable. I wouldn't trust that ballet with my eggs if I had a choice.
>>
>>62315938
To eliminate lobbying and the overt bribery it amounts to, you need to lobby harder than all the other lobbyists combined because appeals to morality have been out the window for decades.
>>
>>62315947
PGP keys are generated locally. Not issued by CA authorities. Your thinking of SSL.
>>
Apparently I'm affected
I signed up for their protection thing because who fucking cares at this point, what else should I do?
>>
>>62315981
How do you distribute your (proprietary, by the way) public PGP key without some sort of PKI or certificate? What's to stop anyone from saying "anon revoked previous key, here is new public key" without a trusted signing authority? Without one, you're in a system where everyone is forced to just believe you are who you say you are.
>>
>>62316023
Well, now you can't claim your shekels when the class action suit comes through.
>>
>>62315974
Well we need to do something. Our government was supposed to be based around the will of the people. In a sense we never really escaped monarchy that we fought against so hard. The only difference is instead of America being ruled by a king it's ruled by an oligarchy of wealthy aristocrats. We're content with that rule when it's too our benefit but when it isn't it can be very destructive.
>>
>>62316065
Do you own a rifle?
>>
>>62316065
END THE FED!!!
>>
>>62316064
To be fair no individual makes much off of class action suits. You'll be lucky if you get $100 10 years from now. Realistically it'll be more like $20.

Not saying you still shouldn't do it and make Equifax feel some pain for this shit but if you're expecting a big payout you're in for a rude awakening.
>>
>>62316064
Nigga I have a negative net worth right now
I'm just worried some pajeet would fuck over my credit score and I wouldn't be able to take out more loans (fuck myself even more) to continue med school.
I probably got into this whole mess because this is my first year I've used a loan and I'm fresh in database or something
>>
>>62316024
You distribute your pub key via keyservers.

As for the proof of your identity you could register your pub key with the government. by sending them a PGP signed message verifying a conformation number they give you.

It could easily be done. It's just that the federal government is incompetent as are most of the citizenry.
>>
>>62316161
>register your pub key with the government.
This is different from a federal certificate authority (and de facto root authority of a PKI) how, exactly?
>>
File: 1496187600631.jpg (86KB, 496x200px) Image search: [Google]
1496187600631.jpg
86KB, 496x200px
>>62316161
>It could easily be done. It's just that the federal government is incompetent as are most of the citizenry.

>reminder that these people are also allowed to vote on the nations future

>reminder that these people dont give a fuck that the gov is basically ran by the same people each year

>reminder that these people dont care that laws can be overturned/overruled at anytime because someone with money/power fucked up hard

>reminder that
>california

end me
>>
>>62316065
>The Oligarchy sees the populace getting angry and unruly
>JP Morgan asks Tim Cook: "Come on guys, we need another Apple product tease to distract them again."
>Tim Cook: "On it."
>Populace is thoroughly distracted in anticipation for new iProduct

We'll never win. Aristotle was right about humans needing there being a higher purpose to humans than animals and plants. We've lost touch of what it takes to achieve eudaimonia.
>>
>>62311994
Enrolling removes your ability to sue
>>
>>62312340
Good luck getting them to fix anything since they're just the reporting agency l, not the one who made the report
>>
File: 1481771919986.jpg (38KB, 512x316px) Image search: [Google]
1481771919986.jpg
38KB, 512x316px
>>62314595
>>62315909
Wait a minute, this is stupid.
Are a americans that behind they can't use a smartcard with public key crypto? Plenty of countries have been doing it for years.
>>
>>62316542
>Are a americans that behind
YES

we JUST got chip and pin to be viable in time compared to swipe and pin

its still slower though
but viable now
>>
>>62316542
the problem is that only few government places use those. private companies have no proper id verification if you get loans or buy shit online.
>>
>>62313851
No, the system is set up so that if you're not running for one of the two main partys, you have basically no chance of getting elected.
>>
File: 1498372448319.jpg (32KB, 480x550px) Image search: [Google]
1498372448319.jpg
32KB, 480x550px
>>62316616
except if your rich enough to run as a third party

>if a third party gets 5% of votes they get funding for next years election

or your trump and can pay the other elects to fuck off
>pic related
>>
So does one guy have it all or is it public or what
>>
>>62316707
I have it
>>
File: Screenshot_2017-09-08-12-00-47.png (151KB, 720x1280px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2017-09-08-12-00-47.png
151KB, 720x1280px
>>62315200
Friendly reminder that property tax records are considered public documents in the US, and anyone can access them if they know where to look.
>>
>>62315938
You wouldn't want to eliminate lobbying; lobbying is how we petition the government. Maybe eliminate the kickbacks and payoffs, but it's difficult to see where to draw the line.
>>
>>62315646
equifax releases a list of identities they believe have been compromised.
>>
>>62316697
>implying the citizenship would vote for a third party
the whole point of this system is to make sure that the vast majority of the population thinks that It's not worth to vote for third parties.
If trump didn't run for the republicans then he would have lost
>>
>>62317580
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deez_Nuts_(politician)#Polling

/pol/ meme magic
>>
>>62317574
>Sorry for releasing your personal info!
>Here, take this publicly available list of millions of people's names as an apology!
>>
>>62317574
>>62317898
Where's this list?
>>
>>62317663
How on Earth did Deez Nuts poll higher than Limberbutt McCubins? That's a way funnier name.
>>
>>62317924
I assumed he was just talking about a hypothetical list as a better way to notify people.
>>
File: 1380922552123.png (59KB, 265x265px) Image search: [Google]
1380922552123.png
59KB, 265x265px
i got rid of my bank account years ago and have no credit cards, am i fucked or am i off the grid enough?
>>
File: 1492119467403.jpg (225KB, 1249x1331px) Image search: [Google]
1492119467403.jpg
225KB, 1249x1331px
>>62317967
>captain crunch
>17%
>>
>>62317982
Well not names obviously.

Release info that an individual can cross-reference to determine if they're compromised, like last four of SSN and street name or something.

hell, how hard would it be for them to set up a key system where a pair is generated based on your info? you can use your info, according to instruction, to generate a key and see if you're on the list.
>>
>>62318021
You're doubly fucked because in addition to being doxxed, you also have no credit.
>>
>>62318055
what's the worst they can do with an empty credit report?
>>
>>62318119
They still get your SSN and other PII.
>>
>>62318142
is there anything any of us can do to protect against SSN being stolen?
>>
>>62311489
The reason you cant get credit cards is because they already have all of your info.. how do you think they know to decline you?
>>
>>62318163
Anything? You can get credit freezes from three main credit bureaus though. But the info is already out there.
>>
>>62318119
take a high-interest loan out in your name from a bunch of payday loans places or auto loan places.

>>62318163
get a credit freeze. when someone tries to take out a loan, the creditor will check with the big 3 to see if you're creditworthy. when the credit pull comes back with 'no info, account frozen' the loan won't go through.
>>
>>62318329
So what do you do after you freeze your credit? What if you need to get a loan at some point in the future?
>>
>>62318343
They give you a passphrase to use to unfreeze at a later time.
>>
>>62318358
So you just freeze your credit, unfreeze it when you need it, and then as quickly as possible freeze it again to minimize your odds your info is used in the time it was unfrozen?

That's fucking stupid. Well, I mean, I guess if you freeze it long enough the odds of it being used goes down cause the identity thieves probably discarded it once they realized they wouldn't be able to milk it but you can never really know for sure. I don't know if they ever try to take cracks at frozen identities again in the future.
Thread posts: 341
Thread images: 36

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.