[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Or should i just do Primer?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 4

File: Guide.jpg (941KB, 1664x2450px) Image search: [Google]
Guide.jpg
941KB, 1664x2450px
Or should i just do Primer?
>>
SICP -> Practical Common Lisp -> Haskell from first principles -> Type driven development with Idris
>>
>>62300861
Youtube tutorials is the shit.
>>
>>62301430
thenewboston is the shit
>>
File: dog_thinking.jpg (90KB, 526x701px) Image search: [Google]
dog_thinking.jpg
90KB, 526x701px
>>62301430
>>62301444
>>
>>62300861
If you're new to programming start here: http://www.ccs.neu.edu/home/matthias/HtDP2e/. Then, if you feel like it, read SICP.
>>
>>62300861
you should probably not do C++ at all in the first place
>>
Just use Primer, it's a good book.
>>
>>62301461

>when you sit in the back seat of the car listening to the radio and imagine yourself running along beside the car doing tricks and stunts over obstacles that block your path.
>>
File: 1479077901149.png (3MB, 1534x1706px) Image search: [Google]
1479077901149.png
3MB, 1534x1706px
>>62301469
I've been considering reading this for a while. I've studied algorithms (very basic), and learned superficially java, php, python and C, but as I said, VERY superficially, I never made any useful/big project with any of those languages.

My plan was to read HtDP, SICP and then learn C. Should I tough through SICP and forget HtDP or should I "waste" a bit of time on it to properly learn it? I've tried going straight for SICP and struggled quite a bit.

>it should be noted that my main objective is C.
after HtDP and SICP should I go straight for K&R or read some other C book first?
>>
File: DFuXZeBV0AAaw68.png (3MB, 1170x1170px) Image search: [Google]
DFuXZeBV0AAaw68.png
3MB, 1170x1170px
Just use primer, it's a very good book.
I'm currently going through it and have encountered no issues. My only major gripe is that they teach you about c-style arrays before std::array.
>>
>>62303186
The dragon book is like an old Egyptian parchment that has no relation with the real actual world, to read it is a waste of time and A LOT of effort.
>>
>>62303448
Can I read Primer before learning C? I find C too dry.
>>
>>62303606
C++ primer is a C++ book not a C book.
C++ is a superset of C. Just because you know one does not mean you know the other.
tl;dr yes if you want to learn c++.
>>
>>62303642
Yeah I know, I want to learn C++ but everyone told me to read K&R first, that's why I'm asking
>>
>>62303667
It's a meme. C++ and C are like python 2 and python 3.
C++ is a superset, it's great for OOP but C is obviously more suited to low-level fuckery.
If you want to learn c++ do it, it's a great language.
>>
>>62303728
can't C++ do everything C can, and then more? Are there things where C is a better choice than C++?
>do it
thanks, guess I'll just read Primer then. I heard C++ was difficult for a beginner but at least other languages will be easy afterwards.
>>
>>62303186

SICP isn't really hard, only the math can be overwhelming sometimes.

Personally, I'd do it the other way around:
Go straight for K&R and do all the exercises.

Then learn some abstraction (design patterns).

After coding half a year of C, you can do SICP do get a different view at things (especially data vs. code and mutability/state).
>>
>>62303788
Yeah c++ can but it's just sometimes not as well suited. For very low level (read embedded, OS and actual hardware programming) C is a better fit, but c++ can do pretty much everything C can.
C was made to be portable assembly.
C++ is a terse language to begin with, but a lot of that stigma comes from the pre-c++11 days. C++11 made the language a lot nicer, as well as a lot safer.
>>
>>62300861
Java deitel
>>
>>62303843
thats a way I was thinking about too. Guess I will go on this route. thanks

>>62303558
can't really vouch for anything on that image, just saved it
>>
>>62303788

Not him, but I might comment here..

>can't C++ do everything C can, and then more?

"More" isn't always "better"..
C enthusiasts would say that C is good especially because it doesn't have all this crazy abstractions. (One day you'll find some legacy C++ code with some serious template fuckery and you'll understand what I mean).

Google why Linus used C instead of C++ for Linux. It's opiniated, but you'll get the idea.

>Are there things where C is a better choice than C++?

It's more or less about libraries and existing code. If you want to do something in [blablabla] and it's only C libraries, you're better off with using C for it.

That said it's easier to program C, coming form C++ than the other way around.

>C++ was difficult for a beginner but at least other languages will be easy afterwards.

C++ is just huge. I mean.. really huge. You can (read: have to) study it for a long time to get decent. C is a rather small language. But of course C++ is way more powerful. You have many different paradigms in C++, it's the swiss army knife robot generator deathstar coffeemachine fuckdoll of programming languages.

C++ is cool and I say go for it. But it's a completely different beast than C, Java or Python..
>>
>>62300861

they have actually very solid list of books to guide you through all intro to cs https://teachyourselfcs.com/

Also you can safely start from sicp as your first programming book but if you feel you stuck you can supplement it with Little Schemer.
>>
composingprograms.com is another good introduction which was influenced by SICP
>>
>>62303968
What does SICP actually teach?
>>
>>62303960
Yeah, I know C++ is huge, that's partly why I want to learn it, since it's powerful and versatile.
Why do people say some languages are better than others for beginners though?
>>
>>62300861
Programming: P&P using C++ / C++ Primer -> <any C++ Data Structures book like Drozdek/Sedgewick/Weiss> -> Algorithms by CLRS / Algorithm Design by Kleinberg -> Programming Languages: Principles and Paradigms by Tucker and Noonan / Programming Language Pragmatics by Scot -> ToC Sipser / Kozen / Arora and Barak
>>
>>62304066

Oh well..

There are basically two fundamental computational models. They are equally powerful and were discovered at the same time:
-the turing machine (the forefather of C, Java and so on)
-the lambda calculus (the forefather of Haskell, Lisp and so on)

SICP teaches you Scheme, a Lisp dialect. But that's only because Scheme has very little syntax. The real goal is to teach you about abstractions, about the differences/similarites of data and code, about mutable values and the problems that come with it, about scope of variables, about the different types of recursion, about runtime of programs, about analytical thinking and how to tackle some mathematical problems. And it also teaches you lambda calculus.

If you want to, take one day and do a lambda calculus tutorial. It sounds very scary at the beginning ("huh, a beta reduction!!"). But it's not that hard, only "different". If you done this, you will look at Scheme/Lisp with different eyes.
>>
>>62303043
In the country I was riding a dirt bike in the ditch, in the city it was a skateboard.
>>
>>62303558
Actually the dragon book is fucking awesome if you are writing a compiler, as long as it's not the shitty java-based 3rd edition which takes 40 pages to introduce a concept when the original could do it in one.
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.