[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Whats the best VPN provider for linux?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

Whats the best VPN provider for linux?
>>
openvpn installed on a VPS

But explain to me why a provider would be better/ worse dependant on operating system?

Here's a hint, if they don't use openvpn then its trash, even if they do, its trash.
>>
>>62299510
>installed on a VPS
Enjoy that traffic correlation faggot
>>
>>62299581
How do you think vpn companies work darling.
>>
>>62299607
Not sure what you mean by that m8, no-log VPNs certified via court records are a lot safer to use than some idiot hosting a misconfigured VPN while also pretty much red-flagging all his extremely simple to trace connections.
>>
>>62299658
Then such an idiot has no place on /g/? - my suggestion isn't based on legal or privacy standpoint, its simply an ideological one. Do it yourself and learn something.
>>
>>62299760
>my suggestion isn't based on legal or privacy standpoint, its simply an ideological one
Your "How do you think vpn companies work" post would make me think otherwise...
Anyway all my initial post was saying is that self-hosting isn't exactly the safest option (especially considering groups like Lulzsec/Xbox Underground used plenty of self-hosted VPNs and still got themselves caught, with court documents going into detail of the servers they used. Though other things probably helped them get caught the self-hosted VPNs were still documented by the authorities, meanwhile I've yet to see a single commercial no-log VPN being mentioned anywhere)

I'm not stopping anybody from hosting their own VPN, it may be a good learning experience to set one up, I'm just not really much of a fan of people using them for anything besides intranet purposes.
>>
>>62299866
I don't think a self-hosted openvpn server is as insecure as you think. Sure some retard can go far out of their way to enable some completely broken cipher etc, but otherwise its better idiot proof.

If said person follows the many simple tutorials to set up a basic openvpn server then it can be hardened to a insane degree.

Of the mainstream VPN protocols, openvpn is the only one that should be considered secure. a couple of the VPN companies I've tried default to L2TP and its shit.
>>
>>62300015
Eh I never really meant to say self-hosted OpenVPNs are insecure in that way, I'm mostly talking about the issue of correlation, the misconfigured VPN part but was just an example of how someone could screw up.

But if your adversary has the ability to see "oh the connections from [vps ip] are VPN encrypted, but the only connection actually being made to [vps] is from [your ip]" it's not exactly difficult to put 2+2 together.

Maybe most people wouldn't have to worry about that, but I'd bet if Lulzsec/XU had been using a VPN that was shared with thousands instead of their self-hosted single-use ones it would have been much harder to trace whatever they used it for.

I guess it just depends on what you want to use a VPN for. If it's just encryption you'd probably be fine with a self-hosting one, but for privacy I'd always prefer to have my connections mixed in with other users, at least it sorta adds another layer of security to it.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.