[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Computer idiot here. Every time I boot windows, just before the

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: hdd.jpg (103KB, 1200x918px) Image search: [Google]
hdd.jpg
103KB, 1200x918px
Computer idiot here. Every time I boot windows, just before the password screen some text appears asking me to "check hard drive for inconsistency", "check hard drive for bad sectors" or some shit like that. I usually press any key and skip the process. But today, when that screen popped, I was making some coffee and forgot to skip the process. It was at 49% completion and it just got stuck there. Since I'm very impatient, I resetted, booted again and this time I skipped that shitty process. But now, a lot of movies, documentaries, anime and many more data at root C: folder are corrupted and I can't play them at all. Is there a way to get them back or do I need to torrent it all. I'm so mad and pissed right now.
>>
Make backups of the data you store on chink drives idiot
>>
If you don't know, don't act on it as if you know.
>>
>oh hey, your ntfs volume isn't marked clean, want me to check that for you so you don't run into further damage?
>no? oh okay, you're the boss
>oh, want to check it now? cool, cool, hold up while i check things ou- *reboot*
now your fs is a mess, and guess who's fault it is?
>>
>>62297240
Try rubbing the disk with your peepee.
>>
>>62297809
It was all good before. It's all bad now because I haven't been there to skip this shitty process (was making coffee and forgot about it). Now I lost about 30GB of documentaries, anime, movies and much more which had no problem playing before (many episodes and files are now corrupted and unplayable) and I have to torrent all over again. Fuck Windows! How do I turn off this "inconsistency checking" or whatever which pops everytime I boot?
>>
>>62298153
>How do I turn off this "inconsistency checking" or whatever which pops everytime I boot?
shutdown properly so the volume never gets into an unclean state
>>
>>62298153
> How do I turn off this "inconsistency checking" or whatever which pops everytime I boot?
You can't unless you check it fully. There's a "dirty bit" enabled on a partition for that, it can be set from Windows but can't be removed.
>>
>>62297240
>/v/
>>
>>62298153
>loses 30 GB of non-backed up material
>fuck windows
No fuck you dude you're an absolute idiot for not having a backup and then replacing the hard drive at first sign of potential failure
>>
>>62298153
NTFS is horrible.
Look into BTRFS or ZFS if you want a filesystem that doesn't eat itself.

But STOP everything and use ddrescue to move all your data off your disk. Now.
>>
>>62298347
>But STOP everything and use ddrescue to move all your data off your disk. Now.
this, i would not trust op's volume anymore, and since ntfs doesn't do checksumming, you'll never truly know what condition everything is in
>>
>>62297240
>downloading scam "optimizers" and shit
>blames it on microsoft

Good job OP.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.