[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/g/, have you ever attend any hackathons? why and why not?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2

File: tech-crunch-disrupt.jpg (263KB, 640x427px) Image search: [Google]
tech-crunch-disrupt.jpg
263KB, 640x427px
/g/, have you ever attend any hackathons? why and why not?
>>
>>62296657
because I'm very interested by technology but don't actually understand very much of it
>>
>>62296657
i did a couple of times, though i have some struggle with working in a team because of my social awkwardness. that's why i try to work from home
>>
>>62296657
>techcrunch
these niqqas havent been relevant for at least 6 years
>>
>leaving my room
no, thanks
>>
Because "hackathons" appeal to the Big Bang Theory-like romanticized "geeks". Quite honestly, I don't feel like being part of it.
>>
>>62297496
I bet it would feel just like highschool "group assignments" where everyone wants to be the star of the group and each comes up with their own far fetched ideas, no one wants to cooperate, and they all start working on their own ideas alone and nothing at all gets done
>>
No, cause I'm afraid of making something that's not impressive enough, or not making anything at all.
>>
Yes.
You get a shit ton of free clothes from each one, and it's also littered with asian qt's who will fall in love with you if you can write code.
>>
Yes
Worth it even if just for the food and booze.
>>
>>62297496
hackathons were a thing for 8 years before "the big bang theory". they more appeal to nerd conventions.

>>62297509
try one and convince yourself wrong. working on same project make people cooperate even if each one has their own ideas and even rights to express them, ever heard of open-source community?
>>
File: 1342380491001.png (32KB, 566x557px) Image search: [Google]
1342380491001.png
32KB, 566x557px
I mentored a hackathon at a university in the Bay Area.

In the end, every team got a trophy, because they made up exactly as many categories as needed.

One girl asked me how their team can display something with a Raspberry Pi if their Python program is running on their MacBook. They were surprised to learn that one can plug a monitor with an HDMI cable into a Raspberry Pi.
>>
I attend hackathons every couple of months. It's a great way to meet interesting people and build your professional network. My last two jobs both came from recommendations by people I met at these events.
>>
Attended one, pretty much got raped by some grill. She's like "get yer dick out ur fucken me right now" and just unzipped me and went to town on it... 30mins later we're finished and I get up, get dressed and open the door, get on the floor. Everyone walk the dinosaur.
>>
Because I want to get paid for my work. Rent doesn't pay itself.
>>
>>62300032
Wtf did they think the HDMI port on the pi was for?!
>>
>>62302615
Guy from >>62300032 here.

They did not know the concept that a single-board computer can output to a monitor.
>>
I went to one once for highschool credit ajd i just drank coffee, sold adderall, and made friends with this other 4channer and we talked about politics and 3rd position and libertarianism and shit the whole night. It was fun. Didn't code shit though, didnt knowhow at the time.

This one guy came in with a bunch of sensors and a sax and made a digital sax so he could play without his apt neigbbors wouldnt get annoyed. I thought that was cool...
>>
>>62296657
i don't go where black people go
>>
>>62303069
Yeah, there is always that one guy that comes and makes something completely pointless but fascinating. I competed with one that used some gyroscope sensors to control quadrupter remotely with only rotating his wrist.
>>
>>62303069
>made friends with this other 4channer and we talked about politics and 3rd position and libertarianism
>caring about politics
>is in high school
Why do these things always go hand in hand
>>
A couple of times. Most people there don't know how to write code and there just for mingling. Usually the "winners" don't have anything that actually works, they just won at mingling with the judges. Sometimes people go there with shit they've been working on at home for weeks just to make an impression. Lots of "gurl koderz". Free stuff. Hackathons are weird.
>>
>>62296657
No
The basement dweller smell

no thanks
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.