[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

If I'm not a programmer or a developer, is there any benefit

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

File: 1504760699783.gif (1MB, 384x384px) Image search: [Google]
1504760699783.gif
1MB, 384x384px
If I'm not a programmer or a developer, is there any benefit for me to learn Vim or Emacs?
>>
>>62296325
yes
>>
>>62296325
vim is nice if you're a sysadmin
>>
If you write anything then a good text editor like Vim, Emacs or Sublimetext can be useful. You can add spell-checking and quickly make changes to the whole document.

Here is a lecture from a non-programmer (journalist and writer) who use emacs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtieBc3KptU

Here is a blog post from a non-programmer who uses emacs: http://standardsandfreedom.net/index.php/2016/10/09/an-emacs-update/

Stephen Pinker and Neal Stephenson have both said they use emacs.

>>62296361
Vim is ONLY nice if you are a sysadmin. Otherwise it's just a pain in the ass text editor to learn. Especially for anyone without an American keyboard who are not able to have sensible keybindings (even when you change them because as a sysadmin you mostly work with default keybindings anyway)
>>
>>62296478
Good post, thank you. Do you have anything like an Emacs guide for brainlets?
>>
>>62296579
I dunno... I personally use Sublime Text because it's easier. You can do more atm with emacs tho.
>>
>>62296325
>If I'm not a programmer or a developer
You should'nt ne using a computer.
>>
>>62296325
Tangentially related
In studying an engineering career and I'm going to start my 4th year (out of 5 years long the career is)
I'm thinking on learning LaTex, is it actually worth the effort?
>>
>>62296617
>I'm thinking on learning LaTex, is it actually worth the effort?

Absolutely... I studied engineering and LaTex made my job much easier when I wrote my thesis.
>>
>>62296617
Look up Luke Smith on YT. He can give you a tour of his LaTeX setup and some demos. Maybe seeing his content will help you make that decision.
>>
>>62296325
no
>>
>>62296325
sure, it will benefit you in lots of ways in the tech world. just not at getting laid fucking nerd
>>
>>62296617
Avoid Lyx... When I started LaTex I used Lyx because it seemed easier, but you get more control by just learning the code. It's worth it, you can make beautiful documents and I have used my latex skills at work because I am able to format a nicely formed pdf just with text which means I can make scripts to make automatic pdfs with diagrams and stuff I want to show and text I want to add. It's super skills to know.
>>
>>62296636
>>62296644
>>62296701
Nice ill give it a go
Truth is I already have all the base installed (miktix if I recall correctly and some editor)
I just saw it was like learning a whole new programming lenguage and was set aback by it
>>
I am neither yet and I absolutely love vim. I use it 100% of the time for editing text now. mpv playlists, notes to myself, etc.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtieBc3KptU

This guy is a complete idiot (although he kind of looks like Sufjan Stevens), but I think it's a decent video, nonetheless, if you can handle the filler.
>>
Vim is just fun and comfy to use and most modern editors support vim plugins. Vim was the only g meme I felt for like 4 years ago and I don't regret it.
>>
>>62296325
There are some people who use emacs to read their mail. Some people use emacs just for the org-mode.
>>
>>62296730
>Truth is I already have all the base installed (miktix if I recall correctly and some editor)

Sounds like you are doing stuff right.

Remember, if you get errors like "colorx.sty can not be found" and similar then you can likely install colorx (or anything else) with the MikTex package manager.

>I just saw it was like learning a whole new programming lenguage and was set aback by it

Don't worry... Latex can do A LOT if you know it in and out, but you can do a lot without knowing much. You can use templates ( https://www.latextemplates.com/ is one of many sources for templates) and just add to or remove stuff from it.

You can find a lot of good beginner-sources here: https://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/11/what-are-good-learning-resources-for-a-latex-beginner

I also thought it looked like a pain in the ass to learn, but the effort is worth it. When you know it, it's much easier to deal with stuff like references (referring to figures and external sources) and stufff like table of contents and that sort of thing. Latex does a lot of things automatic, but you have full control.

I don't know everything (of course), but I am glad to know what I have learned and I have used it for a lot of things.
>>
>>62298842
Those are some nice resources
Thanks anon
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.