[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Walkman WM-41 sounds like fucking shit. Please help

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 10

File: Fuck.jpg (864KB, 6000x3376px) Image search: [Google]
Fuck.jpg
864KB, 6000x3376px
The belts were done when i received my Walkman, so i put in some soft rubber bands that looked just like the other ones, just not goo.
The top one with the motor and the giant golden disk has a tight and thick rubber band while the tiny disk below that one has a long, skinny, stretchy rubber band, I manually rotated the double staged brass disk and everything seemed to have nice traction. I then re-assembled it and the tape played slow and kind of wobbly. I then tried many batteries, which did nothing. I then adjusted the speed. Once i fixed the speed, i found out that the audio still came out very shaky at high notes. I have cleaned the tape head. I have no idea what to do.

So in all.
Tight top band, what i assume to be a perfect bottom band, wobbly audio at high pitches, different speeds for different tapes, and audio distortion, mostly on the left side.
>>
you do realize it's 2017, right?
>>
>>62291955
nvm fix'd it
>>
>>62291987
Are you helping or not?
>>
>>62291987
It's kinda nice to go back and use old tech
>>
>>62292001
yes
even if you manage to get it working you're still stuck using magnetic tape, it's going to sound like shit no matter what
>>
>>62292007
Not nice when it gives such a big fucking headache.

>>62291987 You do realize a lot of albums release today are put at max volume in the studio, and it gets very compressed. Obviously, older tech does have its faults.
>>
>>62292040
what the f*ck does that have to do with anything? it's not like you can buy modern releases on cassette tape so what difference does it make?
>>
>>62292045
I don't listen to modern releases though, I listen to bands from the 90s, and when they remaster their music, it sounds like shit. It's compressed to fucking hell.
>>
>>62292063
so don't download the remastered versions, they had cds out in the 90s that sound fine
>>
File: 1.jpg (138KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
138KB, 1024x768px
Just buy something that sounds better OP.
>>
>>62292077
How much is that one? I got the walkman above for $40 bucks and i can resell it because of a show about a suicidal teen for $100.
>>
>>62292045
Why did you censor "fuck"?
>>
>>62292113
you can't swear on a Christian website
>>
File: iphone7plus-colors.jpg (141KB, 956x700px) Image search: [Google]
iphone7plus-colors.jpg
141KB, 956x700px
>>62291955
here family, something better
>>
>>62292118
oh man, understandable, thank you for notifying me.
>>
>>62292131
What the fuck is that shit?
Their music app sucks, its compressed, and it was produced like shit. Did you not read anything above?
>>
>>62292152
you can use your own music you f*cking moron, download whatever release you want
>>
File: IMG_4339[1].jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4339[1].jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>62291955

belts might be wrong pitch (thickness / shape)... order ones for your medel and not just anything you find the tolerances are very important

check the capstan (gold disc) bearings are free and smooth and give them some oil

dont know how you changed the speed so i will leave that one

also heads have play life, you can demagnetize them but you may need to accept they are worn out and need replacing

fixing my ex walkman at the moment to cash in after the recent techmoan video... ill be here all day
>>
>>62292157
Off the internet?! you "f*cking" moron?! Its compressed, no matter what, even if it advertises as lossless, it will never be as pure as the Aryan race, like it should be.
>>
>>62292098
Depends where you buy it.

If you care about sound you should look up higher end non-Sony models. Aiwa has the HS, HX, HC, PL lines. Many sound amazing and are reliable and are priced way less than Sony ones, just be sure to get one that uses normal batteries.

The higher end Sony players sound good, but everyone knows they sound good, they are overhyped, and there is the sony brand fanatics. I paid like 6000JPY for that Aiwa model and the difference in sound between this and some of the Sony DC/DD models which people pay like 4 times more for is nonexistent.
>>
>>62292165
Thats one sexy ass walkman. I haven't thought about lube, or demagnetization. Ill try it and ill post results.
>>
>>62292165
>fixing my ex walkman at the moment to cash in after the recent techmoan video...

Too many whack opinions in that video. Aside from that Aiwa I posted I also own a WM-EX631 and I hate this line of walkmans. The over reliance on computer and the remotes makes too many things go wrong which are hard to fix/replace imo.
>>
>>62292196

thanks anon i have owned it for 20 years... i will be selling it as soon as i order a new belt...
>>
I cleaned out the port. Did the trick with the distortion on the left side. For lube, all i've got is canola oil, ill look for something else.

>>62292165
>>
File: gay sony connector.jpg (137KB, 1365x768px) Image search: [Google]
gay sony connector.jpg
137KB, 1365x768px
>>62292223

totally agree with you walkbro although i havent had a remote fail yet

this fucking plug on the other hand is literally the bane of my existence... literally the turd in the punchbowl... BRAVO SONY
>>
Op here, i put lube up in that bitch and now its shaky as fucking hell. I made it worse. Left side no longer has that crunch though.
>>
>>62292373

it made it worse because the belt tension is wrong and the bearings were giving some resistance to the wow

silky smooth bearings are normally what you want in a proper functioning walkman
>>
>cassette player sounds like shit
Sounds like everything is working normally to me
>>
>>62292420
I guess ill just buy some tape bands for the model.
>>
>>62291955
>Can't fix a tape machine
Come on anon!
If you've had gooey bands the surface could be irregular.
Run it and scratch the rest off with a flathead screwdriver.
If the band directly rives the capstan and nowt else then if its not a specific tension it will have a lot of fluctuation.
I pick up several every week at carboot sales and have fixed hundreds of them.
I'd say no matter what you do 50% of them are shite anyway.
>>
Odd thing is, ive got some amazing sounding cassette decks, i know they arent that bad. I would go as far to say that it was better than CD.
>>
>>62292433
yep no going back after becomming a hi-res fag

>>62292444
correct answer... you will amazed at how such a small tolerance can affect the sound that much... cleaning my ex atm... waiting on a belt and gumstick
>>
>>62292564

decks =/= walkman...

easy to make a good mtape echanism when you have space for 3motors and huge flywheel capstan inertia... which reminds me... should pull out my teac r2r and have look at it while im motivated
>>
File: IMG_8604.jpg (132KB, 1024x682px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_8604.jpg
132KB, 1024x682px
>cassette thread
These things give me an industrial design boner. Post your favs.
>>
>>62292184
Good place to get an Aiwa? Craigslist gives nothing in my area and eBay seems like a shitshow. Taobao? Yahoo Japan?
>>
>>62294097
It happens when it happens a deal will find you ... Although nothing will compare to the Walkmans I got for nothing at cash converters and goodwills circa 2002 - 2007 teheheh
>>
>>62293837
ID?
>>
>>62295821
Looks like a screen cap from the new techmoan Walkman video
>>
>>62295903
With that branding on the bottom right?

>>62294097
Yahoo Japan is too expensive for non-junk labelled items usually. ebay isn't that bad.
>>
Im looking for one wit the ability to record audio from input jack, recommendations?
>>
>walkman
>sounding good

If you're serious about cassettes, get a deck. Or go digital.
>>
File: IMG_20170907_115504.jpg (75KB, 879x860px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170907_115504.jpg
75KB, 879x860px
Gore thread?
>>
>>62296855
>what is lofi
>>
>>62291987
Maybe OP doesn't want his music player spying on him.
>>
>>62296855
t. never used a good portable player
>>
>>62296914
>HISSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
>its just lofi bro
>>
>>62297014
>implying every walkman has hissing
>>
File: SONY UX-S 90 Type-II.jpg (115KB, 1004x752px) Image search: [Google]
SONY UX-S 90 Type-II.jpg
115KB, 1004x752px
>>62296953
Really this.
There is so many that will claim anything negative about any technology.

While magnetic tape is a time and money sink, it has an extra layer of satisfaction when you get things right.
There is also so many factors to cassettes to sound good. The tape quality & type, and how it was recorded.

>>62296919
This is one of the reasons why I used portable cassette tapes. I fucking hate how locked down and botnet phones are.
>>
Although I too love cassette, remember anon that the usual cassette sounds worse than 32kbps Opus. You either have to get a fucking hi quality mint condition deck with Dolby NR or find some higher quality/material tapes.
>>
File: rawmeme.png (217KB, 320x256px) Image search: [Google]
rawmeme.png
217KB, 320x256px
Recording images to cassettes is fun, although the quality is shit.
>>
>>62292420
Do you just oil the bearings then?
I'm using a WM-11, rewind is fucked, but I fixed the FF.
Waiting on a new belt
Thread posts: 52
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.