[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Who switched to Linux this year?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 265
Thread images: 50

File: win_to_linux.jpg (42KB, 1600x800px) Image search: [Google]
win_to_linux.jpg
42KB, 1600x800px
Who switched to Linux this year?
>>
Your mom
>>
>>62284171
Install gentoo
>>
I just installed Linux Mint on my laptop, I study computer science on nooblevel and my teacher recommended Mint. I like working with the terminal
>>
Give me one legit reason to switch to Linux apart from privacy bullshit. Because right now that's the only argument penguin fags have.
>>
I switched back to Windows after 4 years of Linux
>>
>>62284234
also did the same about 3 months ago for my work laptop. some drawbacks (compatibility) but mostly improvements all around
>>
Tried it, spent over 8 hours copy+pasting terminal commands to try make it not run like shit, even just trying to get a somewhat responsive feeling web browsing experience but even disabling chromium flags gives less hw compatibility than windows so I gave up and put Windows 10 back on.

I'll try again in another decade maybe.
>>
>>62284253
making your desktop work how you want, using alternate window managers, updating all software at once
>>
I switched back to Windows because I realized that I can run everything that sucks on Windows on Linux in a VM and this is 1000x better than the other way around.
>>
Yeah me. Ran a Hackintosh first for a while until I got real tired of Apples locked down bullshit.

Running Arch w/ Plasma now. Not looking back.
>>
>>62284253
It uses less disk space.
It is easy to grasp.
It is easier to troubleshoot.
Update system that works.
Better software license -> more comfortable to use as a user.
>>
>>62284320
>It uses less disk space.
Literally irrelevant unless you run a 64GB ssd macbook air or some shit.
>It is easy to grasp.
Yeah, well... no.
>It is easier to troubleshoot.
If you know your way around, certainly. Not everyone knows /proc/ by heart though.
>Update system that works.
Unless you are on anything other than RedHat/Fedora/Debian stable in which case every update always breaks something.
>Better software license
Literally irrelevant.
>>
>>62284352
H8ter
>>
Last year i switched from linux to openbsd
>>
>>62284253
>privacy bullshit
If you don't care about your privacy - you are very stupid kid.
That being said if you are not a dev - GNU/Linux is worse than Windows in almost every way. It's unusable for any kind of professional work and as an entertainment platform its capabilities are very limited.
So yeah, looks like there is no reason for to use it (at least for you).
>>
Me.
And my mom, unironically
>>
>>62284171
I've switched in 2012
>>
Is Kali any good?
>>
>>62284352
>Literally irrelevant unless you run a 64GB ssd macbook air or some shit.
I personally use a laptop w 256gb ssd and it matters to me.
I have windows in a VM for a single application I use once a year and that image is 55gb.
That is relevant to me.
>Not everyone knows /proc/ by heart though.
because sane people use /sys/
>>Better software license
>Literally irrelevant.
The software license is the main reason why I use it.
When I spend money on computers, whether it is for my workplace or privately, I don't have to set aside money for licenses.
Privately, I avoid applications that nag me to purchase it or I avoid malicious features.
Professionally, I avoid worrying about the extra costs of adding another system or who to contact when I need to set things up.
If something doesn't work, I ask my employer if it is okay that I fix it the proper way and they usually say yes, so I get to contribute to open source projects while I work.
This is mostly relevant because of my profession, but still.

>>62284488
not for a daily use distro
>>
>>62284511
>I use once a year and that image is 55gb.
See? My Linux VM that I need to develop databases etc. is 20GB.
>because sane people use /sys/
Sane people use a system that just werks.
>The software license is the main reason why I use it.
Is this your main pickup line?
>>
I tried several distros but they are all buggy as shit.
>>
My switch is pretty gradual, so maybe me? I think I started dual booting on my macbook after new years, but I started dipping my toes in LiGNUx like 6 years ago.

First I dual booted Ubuntu/windows, which you could just set up from inside Windows without a usb or anything, super conveniently. I don't think they still have that, but it was what made me start.

Then about 3-4 years ago I installed Debian, writing over all my viruses and proprietary software, but that was just because I had got another laptop (the macbook) and felt safe. I basically only used the new one, and still do.

Then 2-3 years ago I bought an old x220, and installed debian, then arch, and now fedora. I really liked fedora scientific, so I installed that on all three previously mentioned laptops around christmass.

Oh yeah, and I tested OpenSUSE on my oldest laptop last week.
>>
I switched from GNU/Linux to Chrome OS.
>best update system of any OS
>ultra fast
>amazing battery life
>runs Android and Linux apps
Get on my level.
>>
File: 1504002288366.png (44KB, 500x338px) Image search: [Google]
1504002288366.png
44KB, 500x338px
>>62284171
ITS CALLED GNU/LINUX
FUCKING MILLENIALS
>>
>>62284728
OKAY NO NEED TO SHOUT!
>>
File: interject for a mement.png (319KB, 900x474px) Image search: [Google]
interject for a mement.png
319KB, 900x474px
>>62284728

THIS !!
>>
>>62284389
I just got nothing to hide. And it doesn't really bother me that the most the botnet can do to annoy me is to give relevant ads based on my google searches.
>>
been jumping back and forth for around 20 years.

Started on Red Hat 5, then Debian... went back to XP...then 2000, then hopped on Red Hat for a bit again, back and forth back and forth. Stuck with 7 for its lifespan, went to 8 and 8.1.. that was alright, used 10 for about a year before realising the start menu cant even be fixed so going from the release candidates to gold was no different. Ended up on Mint, Debian, Arch, Antergos (yeah yeah same shit i know), Ubuntu, Manjaro, back to Windows 10 after Red Stone to see.... got fucking annoyed within a month and back to Manjaro.

Got fucking annoyed with how utterly shit and pointless Linux is still in the year 2017 and went back to Windows 10.... before giving up on Windows 10 after 3 days because it still wants to do forced reboots while i'm in the middle of doing shit at 5am and you can't disable the forced reboots not to mention the zillion fucking trackers its connecting to constantly flinging DNS requests up the wazoo....

and now i'm back on Manjaro. Originally stuck with this because fglrx still works with a downgraded xorg and I need fglrx because open source drivers for linux despite what everyone will loudly and rudely tell you, they fucking suck shit

the linux community is mostly snarky elitist assholes and even if you join one somewhere and ask a simple question someone will come along and be rather abrupt and rude and pretend they know exactly what the problem is and proclaim how its such a simple fix.... but then after you follow a bit of their advice they simply disappear and never return because they literally have no fucking clue what they are talking about , I think the shit community mostly is what drives a lot of new users away.

so for now, Windows 10 is better in every single way except for a shit start menu, shit forced reboots, shit privacy,

Linux is better because: ..... I can reboot when I tell it to. that's about it for me.

20 years using various linux distros and it's still pozz'd
>>
>>62284827
>and you can't disable the forced reboots
The option to disable that is literally there. How the fuck do people have so much trouble dealing with Windows' update policy? Or am I being trolled?
>>
>>62284171
Bot me but i'd like to. The only things stopping me are photoshop cs6 and ms office, both work like shit on wine and powerpoint doesn't even open.
>>
>>62284790
>I've got nothing to hide

That is the dumbest fucking statement ever conceived. Everybody has something worth hiding. Something personal. And everybody deserves the right to their privacy. Just because you're comfortable with some company or group knowing every detail about your life, doesn't mean other people are. How would you feel if you knew that every day when you left for work or school, that some asshole was walking into your house and going through everything you own? Even if you had 'nothing to hide' you would still feel violated. Its like someone looking over your shoulder ever second of every hour of every day of every month of every year of your god damn life.
>>
File: 14947959632920.jpg (95KB, 745x913px) Image search: [Google]
14947959632920.jpg
95KB, 745x913px
>>62284827
>Got fucking annoyed with how utterly shit and pointless Linux is still in the year 2017
yep, that's also bothers me. 99% of applications are below shovelware standards. You literally can't do shit on your system if it's not some kind of media consumption or dev work.
I've got a Debian install on my notebook which I mostly use to browse the web, IRC, etc. but Windows 10 on my main rig where I do all my work and spent the most time in not going anywhere anytime soon.
>>
>using Linux as a primary and only OS
Jesus Christ how horrifying.
>>
File: 1500324154382.jpg (75KB, 779x708px) Image search: [Google]
1500324154382.jpg
75KB, 779x708px
>>62284790
>I've got nothing to hide

Literally kill yourself, brainlet.
>>
File: 18.jpg (18KB, 1039x641px) Image search: [Google]
18.jpg
18KB, 1039x641px
>>62284253
Much easier to develop PHP and node.js on GNU/Linux. I currently develop on Windows 10 and I always need to use both git bash and windows command line.
Other than that Windows 10 is perfect for everything. Literally best OS if you aren't a sperg nor a drooling idiot who needs a golden cage.
>>
File: question.png (29KB, 741x568px) Image search: [Google]
question.png
29KB, 741x568px
>>62284171
>this year?
are we in 2012??
>>
>>62284827
>the linux community is mostly snarky elitist assholes

Well I'm not one of them. I know its a rule that /g/ isn't tech support, but I'm glad to help people that need it. Fuck, I've been there before and the transition to a new OS can be weird. If someone has a legit question that I can answer, I will ever time.
>>
Just got memed into uninstalling Windows 10 and installing Arch. How hard did I fuck up?
>>
File: 1495713256664.png (331KB, 1020x638px) Image search: [Google]
1495713256664.png
331KB, 1020x638px
I only use Windows because NT > Unix-like.
>20 years and ReactOS still isn't even XP level
If ReactOS could even just get to NT 6.0 level compatibility I would switch in a heartbeat, it would be literally everything I want in an OS, my dick gets hard just thinking about it.

>>62284827
>shit start menu
You can resize it, if you drag it all the way to the left it you get a much more 9x-esque start menu like in pic related. Why this isn't the default look I have no idea.

>shit forced reboots
It doesn't force a restart unless you ignore an update for a long time (2 weeks?), which you shouldn't be doing anyway. If you must postpone it even further, you can disable the automatic rebooting in the task scheduler.

>shit privacy
Can't really do anything about this, it's inherent in Windows. You can reduce it quite a lot if you use the enterprise edition but it still spies on you about as much as 7 does.

Also Windows 10 uses p2p to partially deliver updates by default, make sure you disable that, it's a big source of 10's network usage.
>>
File: yuii.jpg (44KB, 350x400px) Image search: [Google]
yuii.jpg
44KB, 350x400px
>>62284171
I switched in 2008,but welcome Anon!
>>62284253
>Give me one legit reason to switch to Linux apart from privacy bullshit. Because right now that's the only argument penguin fags have.
Alright
>ext4
>use any DE/WM you want
>package managers that aren't hacky 3rd party solutions
>secure
>doesn't crawl to a slow over time
>UNIX inspired structure
>freely distributable and mass deployment with no licensing issues
>don't have to reboot constantly without affecting your system
>all the major drivers are in the kernel so you can install it on most hardware in the past 20 years no problem and everything will work with no extra setup required
>large communities surround it making troubleshooting ezpz
>hardly no shitware, most publicly available software was made to do a job of soem sort
>You can play SuperTuxKart the way it was intended
Look nigga, nobody's gonna force you to use GNU/Linux. If you're happy on Windows then good on you my dude. But I could keep going on for hours.
>>62284591
All those system D ridden Jewbuntu/redhat/BLEEDING EDGE Archshit distros are fucking unusable. Give Slackware a shot, or Devuan if you like dealing with apt.
>>62284790
>I got nothing to hide
I have nothing to hide either, but I don't want to promote the government's unconstitutional infringement on my civil liberties, nor do I want to encourage the degradation of the civil liberties of other fellow Americans.
>>
>>62284171
I did 5 months ago. I tried to install Linux before but I always came crawling back to Windows. This time I haven't booted back into Windows yet. Feels good. I wanted a system that didn't come with any thing preinstalled apart from the bare essentials with a nice DE. KDE neon fit the bill.
>>
>>62284352
>If you know your way around
If you know your away around a search engine that is.
>>
switched to debian 8 a few months ago
>>
File: screen_components.png (56KB, 1136x851px) Image search: [Google]
screen_components.png
56KB, 1136x851px
>>62285068
I miss that start menu. Not a fan of the current one.

>>62285111
>I wanted a system that didn't come with any thing preinstalled
>>
>Linux is user friendly
>its just picky when choosing friends
First and only rule you need to learn.
>>
>>62284935

I tried to join some mp4s the other day for a friend and I literally downloaded and tried all of the "best" video editing software available

Kdenlive, open shot, videocut or whatever the fuck, something starting with C.... basically all of them I found in the best software lists

every single one of them was a huge piece of shit. All Linux apps are just shit, I get it... "they are free if you dotn like it make your own"

the UI looks like shit on pretty much every linux app ever made to go along with how shit the software is I guess.

yes it's more stable than Windows, but that's completely pointless when it's near next to useless for pretty much everything you want a fast computer for in the first place
>>
>>62285162
>"best" video editing software
There is no such thing as best in any part of any linux system.
>>
>>62285162
Video editing software is one of the only areas in GNU/Linux that software is lacking, and this is coming from someone who's done lots of pro video editing. The rest of this post is bait or underageb&.
>>
>>62285135
Just grab your start menu and resize it like you would a normal window, it should look like that if you make it as thin as it can go
>>
>>62285068
>It doesn't force a restart

it forces one "after hours" all the fucken time, and you can only move when "after hours" are you can't tick a box that says fuck you i dont want you to forcibly reboot my machine

even if you make changes to the registry to stop it the next time windows does an update and you reboot it changes it and you're back to where you started anyway

I use Classic Start and that's Ok, the start menu is still completely fucked though. How can they take something so basic and completely fuck it up I will never know

>hi im cortana

fuck off, I dont want to use you

>disable cortana

why the fuck is cortana in my task manager 3 fucking times running in the background!!

you cant even uninstall all of that useless shit
>>
File: Kdenlive.png (101KB, 1440x876px) Image search: [Google]
Kdenlive.png
101KB, 1440x876px
>>62285135
Why go through that when you can just install neon and don't have to fumble around something like that to remove things that you don't want?

>>62285162
>Kdenlive
It works fine here. As for the UI, I run a qt DE so it matches my system theme (breeze-dark).
>>
>>62285225
Cortana was the main reason we switched to linux.
Bloody obvious spying.
>>
>>62285204
>Video editing software is one of the only areas in GNU/Linux that software is lacking
and in graphic design area...and in sound editing area...and in every other area that is connected to content creation.
>>
>>62285204

it was shotcut I was using in the end, was the only one that would let me export an mp4 without just closing itself down mid way through.

In the settings menus, half the text is bold and half the text is normal. What dumb cunt thought that was a good idea when designing it.

none of that was bait, unfortunately, I truly fucking despise pretty much 95% of software on Linux systems because it looks like shit, runs like shit or simply doesn't do the shit it's meant to do
>>
>>62285213
Not since 1607 unfortunately, they actually reorganized shit. It's the one thing about the start menu that makes me unnecessarily mad. They had a good thing and ruined it.
You can still set it so that it shows the app list, but I like that version posted (from 1511) much better, have access to most used programs, folders, and an app list if needed.

>>62285245
>Why go through that
Honestly because I don't want to use a hobby OS.
>>
>he restricts himself to one operating system
>>
>>62284171
i installed ubuntu gnome a few months ago. had to get rid of windows 10. it was getting slower and slower the more i used it. The creators update really bogged it down even more.
>>
I think my problem now is there is no OS I'm actually happy with. So I just keep changing back and forth after getting completely fed up with the one i'm currently using.

do this every month or two for a few years. It's kinda annoying.
>>
>>62285272
That sucks, I actually really liked that design. Felt like a good continued evolution of the start menu.
>>
I did for about a week but I like things that just werk without having to spend hours autistically searching forums for answers to things that would take 30 seconds to do on macOS
>>
>>62285268
I've done work in audio tech and grpahic design with GNU/Linux just fine. Just because you can't break free from Photoshit doesn't mean that other people can't be productive without it.
>>
>>62284171
I did until my motherboard began to fuck up.

I think it also damaged another computer.
That said, when it wasn't breaking my computer I was quite impressed.
Even if it was Mint.
>>
File: cruel.png (593KB, 702x794px) Image search: [Google]
cruel.png
593KB, 702x794px
I want to but i just cant justify it.

Most of the software i use is only windows based and the ones that arent usually have performance drops or other issues.

I also cant for the life of me get graphical instalation interfaces to work properly on linux, so 9/10 times i have to do it through console, which i can do but when it comes to my personal life i dont want to have to use the terminal.

I like linux. I like open source. I use linux at work pretty much everyday, and while im nowhere near an expert at it im confortable enough with it.

But i just can't use it in my dayly computer usage.
>>
>>62284253
I found it had a major performance boost.
Like a drastic performance boost.
>>
>>62285473
And what does that extra performance give you? Nowadays modern machines are powerful enough to run W10 without any hiccups so "performance boost" in Linux isn't noticeable.
>>
>>62284171
Not entirely but I use it on my laptop for school. The battery life improved a lot and the fans don't make earrape noises anymore. I still use windows for gaming on desktop
>>
>>62284171
>not using 3 versions of Windows and 3 versions of Linux, dos, and an iOS.
S A D
A
D
>>
Mint is fine until you try and install Chromium via apt and it installs a 6 month old version that wont access any websites because it's too old and needs to be updated. Only to have the Linux Mint developer idiots on the forum say "use another browser, no one is maintaining that anymore for your release"

well funny because it's a LTS, LONG TERM SUPPORT... until you just release another dot release and completely fucking abandon it that is...

I'd say if you're looking to be incredibly pissed off lots of the time and frustrated and to raise your anger levels... yeah sure go ahead install Linux as your only OS.
>>
>>62284171
I switched from Lubuntu to Windows 10, actually. Linux simply couldn't satisfy my needs.
>>
>>62284269
Good choice
>>
>>62284171
I did two weeks ago. Its great. I dual boot Win 7 for games.
>>
>>62284285
I'm just making the backup to do the same with my work laptop, but I'm planing on installing manjaro
>>
>>62285500
You could just use Firefox or Chrome...
>>
>>62285488
This was an old computer.
Like 2010 from a retail store. It was on it's last gasps.

It booted faster, programs opened faster, the computer used much less RAM than it did before.
>>
>>62285409
>Just because you can't break free from Photoshit doesn't mean that other people can't be productive without it.
Ohh, just cut the shit. Adobe got the industry by the balls. I've been working in graphic design for 5 years and not once have seen anyone using anything other than Adobe products (there were some weirdos who used Corel products for vectory stuff but it looks like they dead now). Even if you are willing to spent 3x more time on the same work by using inferior software - nobody else is and in this field compability of source files is very important.
>>
>>62285701
>Even if you are willing to spent 3x more time on the same work by using inferior software - nobody else is and in this field compability of source files is very important.
KRITA and GIMP export to industry formats just fine. I've never had a client complain.
Also on the Windows side Corel > Adobeshit.
>>
>>62285701

infidel. you should bow down to the almighty GIMP....

if you like being enraged and furious that the thing is literally the biggest piece of shit. MS Paint is better to use and easier.

cant even draw a circle in gimp
>>
Yes. Posting this from a Windows 10 WM.
>>
>>62284790
>I have nothing to hide
>"Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy because you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say"
>>
>>62284171
Me
>>
File: Screenshot_2017-09-06_20-50-41.png (2MB, 1920x969px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2017-09-06_20-50-41.png
2MB, 1920x969px
>>62285749
You are either lying or working with very simple files.
On the left the way how psd file should look like (minus background) on the right the way how it looks in the latest Krita version (downloaded an appimage from site). Can't show GIMP because it just gave up.
>>
>>62284171
I did. Full Linux Switch (NAS, Laptop, MainPC)
Wangblows only exists in a VM with a bridge connection to a firewall which allows almost nothing.
It was not THAT hard.
>>
>>62286046

>Wangblows

you missed your chance to call them Micro$oft

so edgy
>>
>>62285988
Yep. Opening Adobe files (.psd, .ai, etc) with GIMP or Krita without losing most of layers from the file is impossible. But it musn't stop you from using ethical software. Just don't work with people who use Adobe.
Also, is this fucking WinXP?
>>
>>62285988
Windows can't open appimage. It's Debian with Xfce.
>>
>>62286111
>you musn't be stopped by software that prevents you from doing your job, you should just find other jobs
the mind of a freetard is a magical thing
>>
File: 1490910581952.gif (717KB, 400x225px) Image search: [Google]
1490910581952.gif
717KB, 400x225px
>>62286072
It became a habit as soon as i started working with IT-Professionals. "Winschrott" (german), Wangblows, Winshit, Electronic Jew, Microshill/shit. you name it.
>>
>>62284488
Used it to mooch on wifi. But not for daily
>>
>>62286111
>But it musn't stop you from using ethical software. Just don't work with people who use Adobe.
When will freetards realize that the most important thing while working with computers is getting the fucking job done properly? If I had a job to do and the only option was to use software made by Nazis, I'd use it without a second thought.
>>
>>62285539
manjaro works great, been using it for a few month's now, and having the AUR is great too
>>
switched in 2008
>>
>>62286170
I'm assumingly largely because they've never had a job. Meanwhile, those who utilize linux and have jobs regularly go on to say they just use whatever accomplishes the job. Hence them loving macos.
>>
File: smile.jpg (7KB, 296x265px) Image search: [Google]
smile.jpg
7KB, 296x265px
>>62286170
>If I had a job to do and the only option was to use software made by Nazis, I'd use it without a second thought.
>>
>>62284352
>>It is easy to grasp.
>Yeah, well... no.
>Unless you are on anything other than RedHat/Fedora/Debian stable in which case every update always breaks something
Confirmed for never having installed linux. You read blogs by pajeet. >>>/v/
>>
>>62285988
he was talking about export, not import. But Krita and GIMP are still unusable for professional work, though.
>>
>>62284352
>If you know your way around, certainly.
Literally does not know how to use Google.
>>
i did 1 month ago, I love it
>>
going dual boot LTSB/Linux and trying to not have to boot the former.
>>
>>62285500
>Mint
Just use Ubuntu. The Mint devs are extremely incompetent and retarded, the distro itself adds next to nothing over ubuntu, I don't know why it gets shilled so much as a distro for beginners.
>>
>>62284171
use BSD and NT about equally now
>>
>>62284253
some scientific software requires linux

least thats why i switched
>>
>>62284253
very configurable. I customized it without really knowing what I'm doing and it's incredibly comfy now
>>
>>62284171
im thinking of doing it but not sure what version.
>>
which linux can you recommend? i need it for college. nothing special, just for writing, surfing and presentation. i prefer something easy to handle. elementary?
>>
>>62285059
a lot Linux is shit I used linux for a year its shit you will come back trust me

Also I was never foolish to unistall windows I always go for dual boot
>>
>>62286595
Get a stable distro and not some tryhard bleeding edge shit like Arch, I'd recommend Devuan for new users and Slackware for slightly more advanced users. Avoid System Dicks now and thank me later.
>>
File: mic.jpg (47KB, 635x387px) Image search: [Google]
mic.jpg
47KB, 635x387px
>>62286595
windows 10
>>
File: poohlinux.png (561KB, 651x664px) Image search: [Google]
poohlinux.png
561KB, 651x664px
>>62286624
>I'm a weak willed faggot so that means everyone else is too.
Been using GNU/Linux for about 9 years now. Couldn't be happier.
>>
>>62284253
>when my OS is slow i can figure out what is doing instead of the M$ messages like "doing something"
>I can track and remove easy all the extra shit and useless files (ccleaner fags are dumb af)
>i can have a backup of my entire system in 15Mb, how ?, just keeping my config files and package list so automatically recovers all
>i can have exactly the same system in all my devices and easy remote manage them
>on windows y use cygwin, libreoffice, even openbox, so there is no reason for me to use windows
>>
I started using it on my laptop 4 years ago while my main desktop has had Windows 7. I didn't really use the laptop that much but it was better on the battery.

Linux is not something anyone but ricer NEETs actually enjoy using. Unless you're doing programming or very basic stuff it sucks. macOS is probably the best modern operating system that is not duct-taped together freetard shit. Windows is not worth it at all, even if you're a gaymer you can just have an offline-only W7 or W10 install.
>>
>>62286640
Bill-kun come back pls
>>
>>62284171
Aciidentaly nuked my win10 harddrive with dd so im pretty much switching full-time linux, gonna try and get a better knowledge of wine and better virtualisation, we'll see where it goes...
>>
>>62286640
gtfo
>>
>>62287222
suck my dick.
>>
How stupid is it for me to jump into Gentoo if I know nothing about Linux

Also is it easy to switch distros
>>
File: chinese tourist warning.png (299KB, 550x477px) Image search: [Google]
chinese tourist warning.png
299KB, 550x477px
I started using Linux regularly years ago. But I made the full switch to Linux as my main desktop OS back in 2015. I haven't looked back.
>>
>>62287244
You suck microsoft's dick, i dont even wanna be near you
>>
File: 1503613482178.jpg (209KB, 1500x844px) Image search: [Google]
1503613482178.jpg
209KB, 1500x844px
>>62284253
Why should I bother? You probably know all the reasons and don't care about them which means that windows is right for you while Linux is much better for me.
>>
File: winn.png (183KB, 600x200px) Image search: [Google]
winn.png
183KB, 600x200px
>>62286651
>>62287100
>>62287206
>>62287222
>>62287244
lol Linux minority
>>
I used Linux from 2004 as my main OS.

I switched last year to MacOS. I get to keep my terminal and also get to play league of legends and civ 6. Plus I get a 5K screen included.
>>
File: Hurricane hits Florida.jpg (86KB, 442x767px) Image search: [Google]
Hurricane hits Florida.jpg
86KB, 442x767px
>>62287316
Whenever you find yourself on the side of that majority, it's time to pause and reflect.
-Mark Twain
>>
File: 1498798805556.jpg (78KB, 600x745px) Image search: [Google]
1498798805556.jpg
78KB, 600x745px
>>62284171
I've been using Debian since 1999. I haven't used Windows as a main OS on any machine since 2001 and around 2010 I stopped using it in VMs because of improved WINE support. I just use Debian, Fedora, OpenBSD, and some other hobbyist stuff like Haiku OS now. There's no good reason to run Winshit at all on your personal machines.
>>
>>62287316
You know supercomputers run linux, right?
>>
>>62284171
Me, I did it

I no longer have this worry in the back of my mind that everything I type is being transmitted and recorded by microsoft for future use against me and that's one of the bigger reasons I switched.

Things I like:
>Way easier to customize basically everything, ricing is genuinely fun in linux where in windows it's a huge pain in the ass to do it
>UI is more consistent in appearance and behaviour
>Repos and package managers + terminal commands make installing things available in a repo so fucking easy and simple
>Fonts are rendered better and it's way easier to switch fonts or install new fonts
>No worry about random malware infecting my computer
>Terminal is fun to use
>Pretty much every available file browser is better than windows'
>Desktop management is easier, I can customize keybindings for everything, tile windows, switch desktops, it's all easy
>Linux looks better than Windows once you've riced it up a bit
>If something goes wrong, you can probably fix it. Something goes wrong in windows it's usually a reinstall
>My computer no longer has random bursts of the CPU working at 100% for no discernible reason
>File search is a million fucking times better than windows
>Folder layout is simpler
>Linux actually knows how to use my SSD properly
>Driver manager (mint only apparently) makes it piss easy to manage the proprietary drivers I'm using
>It's easier to program in linux
>Linux task manager is better than windows task manager
>I DONT HAVE TO FUCKING REBOOT AFTER EVERY FUCKING UPDATE
>>
>>62287632

Things I dislike:
>Installing anything outside a repo/package manager is completely fucking retarded on linux
>LibreOffice suite is ass compared to excel etc.
>Small niggling OS bugs like Firefox's default file browser being nautilus instead of dolphin, or VLC causing screen flickering when a webm finishes playing, or UI customization bugging out and requiring closing the system setting window and reopening it to fix
>The games I actually play (titanfall/planetside 2) aren't on Linux, and upcoming games I'd like to play either won't have linux ports, or won't get them for months/years
>WINE is a massive pain in the ass to set up for anything
>2/3rds of the image viewers available on linux lack BASIC FUNCTIONALITY like using right/left arrows to cycle through images in the current folder.
>There is nothing in linux that matches perfectly what irfanview does, it's sad - other programs have SOME of the same features, but none of what I tried had all of them
>There's no basic editor I could find that functions like mspaint
>When using the nautilus/nemo/whatever file picker that's default with firefox, I can't right-click to open/preview any files (e.g. if I want to see what a webm file is about).
>Pulseaudo is satan, volume automatically resets to default on reboot, and every fucking application has its own volume which in theory is great but in practice it means my system volume has to be low so I don't blow out my eardrums opening a program that defaults to 100% volume which means 10,000% volume if both it and my system are normal. Who the fuck made this piece of shit audio system? No joke, just to have normal volume I've had to set my system volume to 25% and then application volume to 50%.
>>
>>62284171
Last year, but this year I've exclusively used Linux and removed windows completely. I couldn't stand Windows' trash display. Everything has too much blur, including all fonts. It's almost as if it's made to make you blind and I don't understand why I haven't noticed that before.
>>
>>62286595
linux mint

Pros:
Stupid simple
Just Werks
As customizable as any other linux

Cons:
Updates take awhile to trickle downstream to you
You will be constantly harassed by linux hipsters who've installed some special snowflake version of arch or whatever because your distro is so simple and easy to use and REAL LINUX MEN only use a distro that requires endless hours of tinkering, configuring, and bashing your head against a wall
>>
>>62287650
>>Pulseaudo is satan, volume automatically resets to default on reboot, and every fucking application has its own volume which in theory is great but in practice it means my system volume has to be low so I don't blow out my eardrums opening a program that defaults to 100% volume which means 10,000% volume if both it and my system are normal. Who the fuck made this piece of shit audio system? No joke, just to have normal volume I've had to set my system volume to 25% and then application volume to 50%.
install ALSA config, I don't have any issues with pulse
>>
>>62287855
These problems are with ALSA
>>
I used Arch since mid-2006 and stopped using it once the weebs discovered it. Using Xubuntu now. Just werks.
>>
>>62284488
not for daily use unless you're a hax0r.
>>
>>62284384
Phoneposter?
>>
I'm switching as soon as I get time to transfer all my files to my new thinkpad so I have one that's a straight Linux machine
>>
>>62284171
I did, but my reasons were nothing to do with ideology or privacy. I just have no reason to use any kind of local software anymore. Every one of my development tools is on AWS or similar. Office Suite is free online for basic use when needed. Games are stale and repetitive even when I do have the time to play them.

For all intents and purposes, local desktop OS is becoming irrelevant for me. So I just decided to kick off the paid service (Windows) and use the free one instead (Linux). I've used Linux VMs and containers for a long time at work so the transition was not hard. I guess someone who had no such experience would be disoriented for a while. I'm not an evangelist for either camp though so I don't care.
>>
>>62284790
Jesus Christ, fool. At the very least think of all the wasted processing power you get when running that shit. Not to mention the relentless assaults and annoying interuptions from Microsoft. Using Windows 10 is like having a hyper-active autist in the room with you when you're trying to get shit done. I got rid of it because I couldn't even focus on what I wanted to do. You get work done in Windows allright, but it's all just work to feed their annoying ad machine.
>>
>>62285225
>even if you make changes to the registry to stop it the next time windows does an update and you reboot it changes it and you're back to where you started anyway
Which fucking russian botnet version are you using? This has never happened to me.
It also never even asks me to reboot. It just puts a red message saying that I should in the settings.

>why the fuck is cortana in my task manager
That's the name of the process that shows the search window regardless of whether you have cortana enabled or not.
>3 fucking times
You fucked something up.

>reddit spacing
I guess that explains some things.
>>
>>62287650
My screen flickers occasionally on Windows 7 after playing some webm files. I have no idea why
>>
>>62287300
Reminder that Tomoko uses Windows
>>
File: 1472866103763.png (122KB, 338x304px) Image search: [Google]
1472866103763.png
122KB, 338x304px
i want to switch to it and like it, i really do, but i swear to fuck, every single fucking time i try to switch to linux it always falls apart into an unstable buggy piece of shit without me having to touch it at all

i've tried manjaro, various flavors of ubuntu, and most recently fedora. everything prior to fedora suffered from such a ridiculous slew of issues, sometimes inherent after install, and sometimes they'd crop up after very minimal use. fedora actually seemed to be working great for a time being, i was really liking it, but i stopped using it for a while. i booted into it yesterday, updated, booted into it today, and now it's totally fucked unless i switch to one of the older kernels.

and then there's always just minor annoyances, too. im not educated enough in linux to necessarily pinpoint where this problem comes from, but as an example, in every fucking distro i've used, the leftmost monitor is always considered the primary monitor for whatever reason, so if my secondary monitor is to the left, new windows and desktop icons always default to that. or, just a second ago, i'm now unable to place any desktop icons on the upper 1/3rd of my desktop for whatever reason. it's just always weird bullshit like that. windows has its issues but at least it doesn't constantly pester me with tiny issues like this. i just use windows 7 to avoid most of the windows 10 cancer

if anybody wants to recommend a distro that actually fucking justwerks im all ears. for the record, the DE i've been using is XFCE
>>
>>62284171
>Linux
Yes, I sold my iPhone and got an Android this year. I also upgraded my router.
>>
>>62289378
Its your hardware, also dont use proprietary gpu drivers.
>>
File: windows me.gif (495KB, 400x600px) Image search: [Google]
windows me.gif
495KB, 400x600px
>>62284171
I've set up a dual-boot, I like Linux but I still want to play games.
>>
>>62289480
i've had issues on multiple PCs, though
>>
ITT
>who's still underage in this year?
>>
>he dual boots because he's too retarded to into windows and still wants /g/ brownie points
???????
>>
>>62285070
What's wrong with System D?
>>
>>62289600
It's a convoluted pile of shit that is developed by RedHat (the NSA is their #1 customer) that adds an attack surface as big as the Linux kernel itself to your system as process #1. Security shit aside, the real problem is that it makes your OS no longer a UNIX clone because it insists on having your init system handle fucking everything and from a usability standpoint it's goddamned retarded.
>inb4 Potteringdrones fly in
>>
>>62284171
I did. Thank you based Windows 10.
>>
>>62289488
Windows ME is a cute
>>
>>62289651
So what's a better alternative?

I'm currently using Xubuntu, and I'm really liking it.
>>
>>62289689
manjaro
>>
>>62284171
I have three things stopping me from switching otherwise I'd be all in

>Steam games
>Adobe suite
>iCloud
>>
>>62289689
Devuan is debian without System D. XFCE is the default DE. Ubuntu and Debian are practically the same Distro, but Debian is more malleable by default.

I personally use Slackware with XFCE.
>>
>>62284171
switched to peppermint last month
>>
>>62289651
>makes your OS no longer a UNIX clone because it insists on having your init system handle fucking everything and from a usability standpoint it's goddamned retarded.
Linus supports it, Linux is his thing, he must have his reasons. And Linux was never intended to be Eunuchs.
>>
>>62289795
Linus has always been a Fedorafag so it makes sense. I know that Linux was never supposed to be UNIX, but it's still a good design philosophy. In fact, Linux is just a kernel, so everything else is up to the person designing the OS. It just so happens that the System D design we have now is a shitty idea.
>>
>>62289795
And yes, a large part of this may be that I no longer feel like I can trust "init" to do the sane thing. You all presumably know why.
-Linus
https://lkml.org/lkml/2017/7/6/577
>>
When I see GNU/Linux haters, I just see young white men whinning about not knowing their way on how to be a poweruser. They just want their things done by some shady programming and don't care about the consequences.

I couldn't be more glad if you guys stick to Microsoft or Apple.
>>
Me

I started to install arch on Friday, and its perfectly usable now, but im not done with the ricing. Jump directly on i3, vim and cli apps, but i have to get used to the work flow.

It's fun so far
>>
Does anybody have a link to that blogpost by a notable linux contributor who talks about the simple fact that if everyone who used Windows and/or macOS actually started using Linux distros, we'd be neck deep in shit in every way imaginable?
>>
>>62289980
It's white-fragility.
>>
>>62284171
Me
>>
>>62290033
It's kind of ironic to see how the biggest communities of free software are not based in USA.

Stupid americans.
>>
>>62284171
Me. Using CloverOS (Gentoo)
>>
>>62290066
It's not at all that ironic when you actually bring context into the picture. Other communities can't really afford to pay for quality products and services so they turn to free software (majority of work done largely by privileged first worlders) to compensate.
And then on the 'freedom' aspect, the GOP/Dems thoroughly enjoy fucking over their own citizens as long as they're getting paid so they have no problem supporting toxic corporations who stall innovation and general development. On top of really weird tax exceptions, largely based on religion, and you've got a stereotypically American disaster.
>>
>>62289910
what happened with systemd that made linus say this?
>>
>>62284253
No, it's not for retards like you. It's not really for the average media consumer or autistic video gamer.
>>
>>62290480
True this. Exclusively for autistic neet ricers.
>>
>>62290497
I'm none of those things and I love Linux.
>>
>>62290517
Might want to double check on at least one of them. ;)
>>
>>62290535
Well my Linux install isn't heavily configured. I have a full time job, and I have none of the signs of autism as diagnosed by professionals, rather than some person on a German Jew worshipping forum.
>>
File: qr-code-gl.png (1KB, 124x124px) Image search: [Google]
qr-code-gl.png
1KB, 124x124px
>>62284171
>>
I went all in in March.
>>
>>62284700
>First I dual booted Ubuntu/windows, which you could just set up from inside Windows without a usb or anything, super conveniently. I don't think they still have that, but it was what made me start.
I have been trying to do that for months, nothing works.
>>
File: 1502876291026.jpg (7KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
1502876291026.jpg
7KB, 250x250px
>>62284171
Been running it on my laptop(s) since 2010.
Still using a mix of slackware/ubuntu on my various machines, pretty comfy.
>>
>>62284171
yrs of running arch on dual boot,
i completely switched to solus.
>>
>>62284171
I'm so desperate to get away from Win10 but Ubuntu is trying as hard as it can to keep me from running it. It refuses to boot. Goes straight to Windows each time. Nothing I can do will make GRUB run before WBM.

>Live USB works
>Installs just fine
>boot-repair does nothing
>sudo efibootmgr did nothing
>allocating space on HDD did nothing
>buying an entire SSD running only Ubuntu did nothing
>>
>>62291035
It sounds more like windows is trying it's hardest to stop you from switching.
>>
File: 20170906155533_1.jpg (679KB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
20170906155533_1.jpg
679KB, 2560x1440px
I play video games so I didn't.

I'm good too, I beat rapha in a FFA game today.
>>
>>62284171
>Who switched to Linux this year?
lol
linux is shit.
>>
>>62291233
Quake Champions is fucking shit. QuakeWorld and OpenArena all day everyday.
>>
>>62284171
Xubuntu, pretty damn comfy. Also have puppy on a live stick, also comfy.
>>
>>62291287
isn't open arena abandoned?
>>
I did, then I went back after realizing I'd rather spend my time doing something else than getting this piece of shit to work.
Windows literally just works.
Ubuntu is for faggots, it's literally windows except worse and it's not windows.
Boot times are faster.
Drivers aren't even hard to install or find, it's literally one on site.
Vidya is available.
Servers work.
Linux is literally the ultimate form of autism
>>
>>62291331
They transferred over development to some furfag under the table a long time ago and apparently he's made significant progress. We can expect OpenArena 3 within the next year or so.

If you're talking about playerbase, the playerbase doubled a few months ago and is steadily picking up because Quake Champions is shit.
>>
>>62291431
>the playerbase doubled
02 == 0
>>
>>62285070
Been a while since i saw a slackware user, how does it compare to gentoo?
>>
>>62284171
Not yet but I will. Should I download Arch, Fedora, or Debian? Leaning Fedora > Arch > Debian testing (though I read testing is the least secure?) Have some Ubuntu/Xubuntu experience but like almost 10 years ago.
>>
File: 1503886901593.gif (2MB, 450x258px) Image search: [Google]
1503886901593.gif
2MB, 450x258px
>>62291487
Gentoo is great for exotic CPUs and people that would be using FreeBSD otherwise. Slackware is the closest thing to a "normal" distro (Debian right behind it, but as of System Dicks I could hardly call it normal anymore. Devuan suffices.)
>>
>>62284728
>ITS CALLED GNU/LINUX
not all Linux is Gahnoo/Linux
>>
>>62291545
Just call the OS by its name.
Linux is the kernel, GNU is the operating system. Just call it GNU.
When Linux is the kernel, and Android is the operating system, you just call it Android.
It's simple shit. Nobody goes around saying Android/Linux, Windows/NT, or MacOS/XNU. There's no reason to even mention Linux unless you're actually talking about the kernel.
>>
>>62291536
I tried and hated debian, but it was because of systemDick and aptitude, so i guess i will give slackware a chance next time i need to install linux on a secondary machine. Just cant use anything but gentoo on my daily driver.

Btw can i get a source on that gif?
>>
Windows is free, you only pay if you want
>>
File: 1500727287280.jpg (47KB, 944x670px) Image search: [Google]
1500727287280.jpg
47KB, 944x670px
>>62291335
>Boot times are faster.

Systemd boot
>>
>>62291943
>Btw can i get a source on that gif?
You're a HUGE fucking newfag but you said you'll try Slackware so I'll tell you.
It's from The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya It's bretty gud, you should watch it since you haven't.
>>
File: 1504270651016.png (37KB, 715x974px) Image search: [Google]
1504270651016.png
37KB, 715x974px
>>62291287
>>
>>62285270
>95% of software on Linux systems because it looks like shit, runs like shit or simply doesn't do the shit it's meant to do

Hey that sounds exactly like what I ran into when I tried to use feh.

>Okay this is cool, very minimalist
>wait what, I can't browse the folder with arrow keys????
>uninstalled

How do these programs always get like 80% of the way to being finished, and then just fucking completely abandoned as soon as they're almost good enough to use?
>>
>>62291287
apt-get install xonotic
>>
>>62292046
No incentive to finish and maintain is the biggest problem.
>>
>>62292042
Grasping at straws I see. There are plenty of good FPS games that aren't Quake like Xonotic and Saurbraten. Quake Champions is a laughably shitty game and the fact you have to post such a retarded infograph shows how much buyer's remorse you have.
>>62292066
Do they even have that in most repos? But very much this.
>>
>>62292066
sudo pacman -S xonotic
>>
File: 1503972266003.jpg (298KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
1503972266003.jpg
298KB, 960x720px
>>62292087
>shows how much buyer's remorse you have.
I'm having a ton of fun with QC
>>
Come again when I can use Adobe programs, office and other work suites on Linux. Until then, no thanks.
>>
>Xonotic
>good
I mean I know you fags have deluded yourself into believing a server OS is usable desktop-wise, but this is too fucking far.
>>
File: GREENISMYPEPPER.png (4KB, 32x32px) Image search: [Google]
GREENISMYPEPPER.png
4KB, 32x32px
>>62292119
>I'm having a ton of fun with QC
Sure you are sugarcube :^)
>>
>>62284171
I tried put Ubuntu on my laptop and liked it but it's not as fun as I was expecting.

Ant suggestions of things to do with terminal
>>
>>62292158
I am ;)
>>
What's the easiest distro that respects my freedumbs
>>
>>62284253
There is none. BSD is superior as a Unix-like. Every GNU program is way bigger and more complex (and thus more buggy) than it needs to be. Same with the Linux kernel.
>>
>>62284352
>Unless you are on anything other than RedHat/Fedora/Debian stable in which case every update always breaks something.
Updating software is retarded anyway. Linux distros like Debian and Slackware actually do things sanely by only issuing security patches and bug fixes.
>>
File: 1367453410.jpg (15KB, 569x600px) Image search: [Google]
1367453410.jpg
15KB, 569x600px
>>62286111
>HURR YOU'RE SUCH A FASCIST FOR USING MAINSTREAM SOFTWARE! WHERE ARE YOUR ETHICS BRAH? JUST STAY AWAY FROM THOSE EVIL CORPORATE SLAVES AND COME TO THE OS OF PEACE
This is the type of mind set that makes me want punch all penguinfags in the face.

To be clear, I hate Microsoft. I hate monopolies, and most of all I hate surveillance and anti-freedom policies.

But, and this is what you fags don't understand: I have to WORK!

You have no idea how ridiculous you make yourself look when you say shit like this. It's almost as if you're some early 20s homo child living at the expense of your parents, carefree and full of pseudo-science jerking off all day and feel like John Lennon 9000 for using your anti-establishment OS. You can't comprehend that there are people who don't have the time to painstakingly plan every little action to compute with their ideals. We need to get shit done, hassle free and we need to be able to communicate with our works and our products. Yes, it sucks that everything is controlled by the evil corporations, but that's the price you have to pay in order to take part in society.
>>
>>62284171
Hopefully I will have enough $ to buy a new laptop at the end of the year. Currently, I'm using Windows 10 with tons of Linux VMs. It works but painfully. Still better than doing development on Windows directly, though.
>>
>>62292287
That post was clearly a bait and you look stupid by replying to it.
Also, in your post you show a complete ignorance towards other peoples opinion and choices of software but yet demand from these people awareness of your computing needs an getting shit done. Pathetic.
>>
>>62284171
I switched. I found myself not using any software that wasn't also available on Linux except games (which I run through a VM). Chose Arch because it was the meme around here at the time. It's like any other minimalist distro I've used except it has AUR which is neat. I used an installer for the first install then did my own with the vfio-lts kernel to prove to /g/ i'm cool. inb4systemd
>>
>>62284289
Anon at least install 7.
>>62284269
Look at this brainlet probably has a job.
>>62284253
Bloat, less restrictive, easier to do certain programming work, packages that are easier to install then most windows programs, no proto.
>>62284352
Why aren't you using debian stable.

>No proto
>>62284384
Drivers? I tried freebsd and it didn't work with my wifi card. Also it runs like shit on a Pentium MMX.

Compiling anything was a multiday process.
>>62284591
Hannah Montana Linux?
>>62284709
Why do you let people sleep with your wife anon?
>>
I did, but went back to Windows because it just works.
Linux Mint mostly worked too but every now and then I had to babysit it a little, a few games that had linux builds didn't run as good, and the overall ugly UI made me fuck off back to Windows.
>>
>>62284171
Nope, still straight!
>>
>>62284171
3 years of linux in VM, finally made the full switch on my main desktop this year.

Deb 9, i3gaps.
>>
i did, been like... 4 months?

on ubuntu with i3
i'm glad i discovered tiling
>>
retarded faggots
>>
>>62294079
Thanks for your contribution to the thread, anon. Don't be afraid to test Linux, yourself!
>>
>>62285070
Jesus fucking christ you're a nice guy. You're just nice.
>>
File: the grinch on ps1.jpg (52KB, 479x420px) Image search: [Google]
the grinch on ps1.jpg
52KB, 479x420px
>>62294131
I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic or not, but thanks Anon!
>>
>>62285278
It's all about what you need to get the job done.
>>
>>62294168
I swear to you, I wasn't. Re-read your post, the gist was "if it works for you, it just works. Don't leave your comfort zone."

You just don't see posts like that here every day.
>>
>>62284253
For for privacy is alright, but when I realize that I will connect with same hardware, same internet provider, same backdoored CPU - I suddenly realize I cannot escape so easy and I should just be careful what I do online.

BUT Linux is amazing, it gives you total control over your computing - you are in charge + it's nice to always have newest technologies at use.
>>
>>62285473
Cant play any decent vidya on it, performance boosts are pointless at this point
>>
File: Screenshot_2017-09-07_00-38-47.png (139KB, 1244x231px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2017-09-07_00-38-47.png
139KB, 1244x231px
>>62284171
>1.79%
Nobody
>>
4 of my friends did
>>
>>62284253
Package manager is probably the biggest reason
>>
File: IMG_0597.jpg (33KB, 500x333px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0597.jpg
33KB, 500x333px
>>62294408
>it's nice to always have newest technologies at use.
>>
>>62294773
Man you're always here shitposting with least amount of effort of all shitposters always using that same image and never replying back to anyone with any arguments, you must've came this summer right?
>>
>>62294455
> not taking into account that ChromeOS IS Linux
>>
File: retarded.jpg (22KB, 197x420px) Image search: [Google]
retarded.jpg
22KB, 197x420px
>>62286111
This is why I can't do it. This is why I can't take these fucking people seriously. It must be nice to live in mommy's basement and let her pay all your living expenses. It must be nice to be able to adopt whatever bullshit hippie "ethics" you want, no matter how misguided or idiotic they are, because you don't have to worry about rent, bills, or food.

>But it musn't stop you from using ethical software.
From which speech/blog of Stallman's was this taken?
>Just don't work with people who use Adobe.
Not practical or even possible.
>Just don't work
But this is why you think it is.
>>
File: serialexperimentslainpcbuild.jpg (360KB, 1008x720px) Image search: [Google]
serialexperimentslainpcbuild.jpg
360KB, 1008x720px
>>62284171
I'm using KDE Neon as my main OS on my laptop
But my gaymen machine is Windows 10 for muh AAA games
>>
>>62284171
>Who switched to Linux this year?
I've first used Linux in like 2005, I think? (Puppy Linux). I'd read quiet a few books on it prior to that. Though the hardware support wasn't quiet as good back then, in a way, I like it because in those days NO ONE else was really doing it. Back then it had more of intimidation factor, which was really important too.
https://idle.slashdot.org/story/12/09/26/0526231/linux-forcibly-installed-on-congressmans-computer-in-act-of-terrorism
>>
>>62284171
I switched back from 5 years of mint cinnamon on my desktop back to Windows 8.1 with classic shell because: pro audio hardware and programs

Fuck poettering and that laggy pulse audio abortion
>>
>>62284171
In October 2016 to ubuntu to fedora to debian to centos to arch to debian to gentoo
>>
>>62284171
I switched around two years ago.
>>
yeah this year. windows always screws me over. debian hasnt yet
>>
>>62284171
Thinking about it for a looong time.
Next step for me will be switching from 3DsMAX to Blender in a next year or so.
Also I'm building second rig for testing.
The only reliable solution for 2D graphic software problem on Linux for me is running photoshop cs6 in win7 VM in Linux. Sorry anons GIMP suck all the way in openning 4GB PSB files in CMYK mode. And thats the reason why you buy 32GB or even 64GB of RAM.
>>
File: kickapu.jpg (161KB, 1354x889px) Image search: [Google]
kickapu.jpg
161KB, 1354x889px
>>62284171
>not being a dualboot masterrace
>>
>>62284171
Halfway, once windows crashes I'll go full way
>>
>>62284176
pls /g/ never change
>>
File: 1504116535032.gif (250KB, 266x243px) Image search: [Google]
1504116535032.gif
250KB, 266x243px
>>62286146
>>62286170
>>62292287
>>62295290
people still responding to this obvious bait. Why is /g/ so retarded all of the sudden?
>>
>>62284171
I moved my last Windows 7 installation to a VM if that counts.
>>
>>62284171
Can't, I have a job.
>>
just rebooted my computer and it says

cryptodrive not found

so look at that - now i'm back to wiping my fucking drive and reinstalling linux because something changed between the time I turned it off and on.. (nothing)

going back to win10 which just works. fonts look beautiful. shit works properly. spying I will have to put up with.
>>
Just use a separate drive for each OS.
>>
>>62284228
btw I run arch
>>
>>62291035
Have you tried to ask on the Ubuntu Forums? They are usually ready to help anyone, especially in a situation like yours.
>>
File: tuxpepe mint.png (28KB, 602x500px) Image search: [Google]
tuxpepe mint.png
28KB, 602x500px
Why should I use anything else when I like it?
>>
File: Micropenis.jpg (223KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Micropenis.jpg
223KB, 1920x1080px
>>62284171
i didn't. no gaems
>>
File: smug777'.png (65KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
smug777'.png
65KB, 300x300px
>>62284790
The thing is that someone can take one of your shitposts or messages or anything you do and broadcast it out of context to make you look like a racist or criminal and then fuck you in your little pink arse.

That being said, its probably too late for most of us and we will have to form our own country some day.

>tfw i live in kekistan and my neighbor is a 14 edgelord who i hate but he is the only friend i have left
>>
Why do linux fags think its normal to work with a terminal in the current year?
>>
>>62301984
May you always be comfy
>>
>>62289697
manjaro uses systemd, sperg
>>
File: 3snapshot_08.08.png (3MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
3snapshot_08.08.png
3MB, 1920x1080px
>>62291233
quakebabbys can't into overwatch
>>
Switched last year nigga
>>
>>62302724
I played overwatch for a while when it came out but it did not hold my interest.
>>
>>62302122
Because current year isn't a valid argument and the terminal works beautifully for many things, even on Windows. For instance, I can't stand the gui for git on Windows. So I need to use a terminal emulator, which looks like ass but it's better than not being able to use one at all.
>>
>>62302122
I am a Winfag but still like to use terminal. It's just more efficient for some tasks.
>>
File: 1503941749701.png (180KB, 392x309px) Image search: [Google]
1503941749701.png
180KB, 392x309px
>>62302724
On the contrary, Ovewatch kiddies can't play Quake. Overwatch has an absurdly low skill ceiling, so just about everyone levels out at some point and there's a constant dick grabbing contest to try to be 1% better than everyone else. You have to be underage to think there would even be a comparison if QC wasn't trying to ride Overmeme's ass.
>>
switched to kubuntu this year
Thread posts: 265
Thread images: 50

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.