[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Macbook display question

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 5

Hi guys,

/p/ here. I know that you are not here to provide tech support services. But I have a serious problem which I haven't been able to resolve despite googling and trying to find answers, and I want to know if it's common or easily resolved - or something someone here has encountered before.

I have a recent model macbook pro (the model one before they introduced the touchbar thing) which I was using yesterday to watch some shit on an external TV/monitor using an HDMI cable. When I disconnected the cable, the actual built-in display on the laptop would not turn back on. When I reconnect the cable, the TV displays everything normally, but when I go to display settings it claims that it's the only display available. There is no "arrangement" tab in the Displays options in System Prefs either. I reset the system's NVRAM, which someone online claimed might help, but no dice.

Has anyone seen anything like this before? I'm concerned it is a major problem, and I don't have the money to bring it to a repair shop (especially since i don't even know how expensive it might be to fix). I would appreciate it immensely if someone could at least point me in the right direction. And once again, I'm sorry to ask this here and disrupt normal discussion - but I've been using 4chan since 2007 and I'm aware of how slow and unhelpful /r/ can be - and I have an immense level of trust in your expertise.
>>
>I know you're not here to provide tech support services, but now that I've acknowledged that you'll provide me with tech support anyway right?
No
>>
restart the fucking computer
>>
>>62276998
I know it's annoying and I am sageing this post so as not to bump the thread and bother people. But I am not coming here before using google and trying multiple different solutions to no avail - and I'm not looking for step-by-step instructions if it's complicated, just in the hopes that someone could point me in the right direction. Even if that is telling me to just go to a repair shop because it's a hardware problem.

>>62277009
Have done so, including restarting and manually resetting the NVRAM.
>>
the screen or its connection to the mobo needs to be replaced imo
>>
>>62277094
Why/how would it break all of a sudden like that?
>>
>>62277121
>>
>>62277134
pictured: not me
>>
File: ????.png (72KB, 612x491px) Image search: [Google]
????.png
72KB, 612x491px
I am sorry to bump this thread again, but can someone suggest a more appropriate place to post this, at least? Someplace more support-oriented where people are willing to help? I've gotten some good help on /g/ in past years, but I guess you guys have gotten tired of it - hard to blame you... but I hope this small piece of advice isn't too much to ask.
>>
>>62277239
Jesus Christ dude:
Apple technical support
Reddit
Stackexchange
Apple forums
Did you open the MacBook up and look at the connection to the display?
>>
>>62276987
>mac
Found your problem.
>>
>>62277281
Thanks.

I haven't physically opened it up; I don't have the sort of weirdo star-shaped screwdriver I would need to do so.

Thanks again for the advice, I am not much of a tech guy and so in the past X number of years the only place I've ever gone for help has been /g/ (prior to this no tech support rule being officially implemented, I guess - last time I had a question I knew it was sort of rude to drop in to beg for help, but it wasn't addressed in a sticky or anything).
>>
>>62277369
The thing that confuses me about it potentially being a hardware problem is that it happened out of the blue - the laptop wasn't dropped or even jostled hard. All that happened was that it was connected to a TV and then disconnected, and once it was disconnected there was no more indication that a built-in display was recognized by the system at all.
>>
File: 1478064230498.png (256KB, 407x557px) Image search: [Google]
1478064230498.png
256KB, 407x557px
>>62276987
>>
>>62277434
I am going to ask elsewhere and I am saging my posts itt so as not to bother people (maybe I forgot with the last one? if so, my apologies).

I just have had a lot of help from /g/ in years past, and I was hoping you guys could point me in the right direction because I trust your level of knowledge. Clearly board culture has changed and become a lot less hospitable to polite questions in the past couple of years, and I understand that now. Thanks for the help those of you in this thread have provided me.
>>
Don’t bother coming to /g/ if you have a question about computers or technology. ONLY show up if you intend to post copypasta about GNU plus Linux.
>>
>>62277495
Reset the SMC and make sure there's no gunk in the HDMI port
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.