[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /g/, poor college student here, having some trouble picking

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 5

File: A ladder sticker.jpg (3MB, 4192x2358px) Image search: [Google]
A ladder sticker.jpg
3MB, 4192x2358px
Hey /g/, poor college student here, having some trouble picking out a cheap desktop. Which is better/are there any real differences between the obvious dual core i3 and quad core i5.

An Optiplex with a quad i5/i7 is ideal, but are the Chinkcentres any good? Do I just get the HP? Will OP ever stop being a faggot n00b and just fucking Google it?

Will post pics of the computers I'm looking at on Craigslist, eBay seems to be about the same on pricing unless I don't want a HDD.
>>
If you're really poor and want to go cheap, the answer is to get the cheapest one. Get your homework done and you'll soon not have to worry about what computers are most affordable.
>>
>>62275477
>buying prebuilts
>i5/I7 is ideal
>>
File: Dell.png (255KB, 606x750px) Image search: [Google]
Dell.png
255KB, 606x750px
>>62275488
I'm in college in IT so kind of willing to spend the couple extra dollars now.

Here's the Optiplex. I'm most interested in this one but don't know if there's a real difference between most Optiplex' besides different processors.
>>
File: HP.png (271KB, 831x752px) Image search: [Google]
HP.png
271KB, 831x752px
The HP
>>
File: Chinkcentre.png (255KB, 705x776px) Image search: [Google]
Chinkcentre.png
255KB, 705x776px
The thing that'll probably end up spying on me the most. Dude is also selling one that's $100 but a 500gb HDD instead of the SSD.
>>
>>62275477
What do you plan on using the computer for? What college studies?
>>
>>62275591
I'm going to school for network security.
My main preferences are:
Quad core i5/i7 but would settle for i3 for the right price
USB 3 but I have a pci card for that
Virtalization capabilities (current Core 2 Quad has been good to me but shits the bed when I use VMware)
4 RAM slots ++++

Not a gaymer either, mainly looking to upgrade.
>>
I'll eventually get a laptop once my loans come in, but the desktop situation is kinda grim and don't want to waste my money on shit I won't keep for a while.
>>
>>62275703
What are you upgrading from?

Sounds like an i7 would be totally overkill.

If you're looking for virtualization capabilities, you may want to go for the system with Windows 10 Pro as Hyper-V requires it. (Unless you're using something else)

Can't comment off the top of my head regarding what virtualization features the CPUs have.
>>
File: shitposter specs.png (165KB, 1138x648px) Image search: [Google]
shitposter specs.png
165KB, 1138x648px
>>62275765
I had to take out my 1gb graphics card because it was getting insanely hot, even with a fan directed at it, and Windows wouldn't go past my lock screen.
I was shitting bricks after reinstalling Windows and my fresh system image wouldn't load up either.

The classes I'll be taking in the future rely on VMware, so that's why a little overkill is okay with me as I like to have music and a browser and shit open while I do homework. Plus I don't want to wait on a slow ass virtual machine as it's kind of the reason I have to get it.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.