[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are you ready for the WebExtensions apocalypse? What are

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 8

File: Firefox addons.png (62KB, 275x275px) Image search: [Google]
Firefox addons.png
62KB, 275x275px
Are you ready for the WebExtensions apocalypse? What are you doing to prepare?
>>
Embrace it, I guess.
>>
I used to use Auto Hide Sidebar but with the imminent demise of XUL extensions I'm forced to use this /chrome/userChrome.css hack:

@namespace url(http: //www.mozilla.org/keymaster/gatekeeper/there.is.only.xul);

#sidebar-box {
position: fixed !important;
top: 65px !important;
left: 0 !important;
overflow: hidden !important;
}

#sidebar {
min-width: 10px !important;
max-width: 10px !important;
height: 1015px !important;
overflow: hidden !important;
opacity: 0 !important;
}

#sidebar:hover {
min-width: 200px !important;
max-width: 200px !important;
opacity: 1 !important;
}

#sidebar-header {
display: none !important;
}

#sidebar-splitter {
}
>>
File: 1504466429937.gif (2MB, 480x270px) Image search: [Google]
1504466429937.gif
2MB, 480x270px
>>62269078
>all of your addons have already been ported and/or replaced
>>
>>62269078
Everything is already ported.
>>
>>62269078
>What are you doing to prepare?
by not using memefox
>>
>>62269078
I switched to smart https instead of https everywhere, but sometimes it just fails.

Like every xth time I go to /g/ it will not load in https.
>>
>>62269078
Update my plugins.
>>
>>62269078
esr

>>62270438
https everywhere has a webextension version
>>
This is completely over-hyped, when the time comes I'm sure most extensions will be updated so they are compatible.
>>
File: file.png (53KB, 498x859px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
53KB, 498x859px
JUST
>>
>>62270536
>https everywhere has a webextension version
Still says Legacy for me on Firefox 55, as does uMatrix.

Maybe they'll automatically get there by 57.
>>
>>62269078
that picture sums up the type of users who use firefox
>>
>>62270607
You have the wrong version installed then.

>>62270556
Decentraleyes has a webext version.
I have tabs groups, canvas blocker and classic theme restorer
>>
>>62270626
>if you want a usable browser installed then you are an autist.
>>
>>62270649
the fanatics who keep shilling it on this board fit well into that camp
>>
File: firefox os.png (357KB, 1406x676px) Image search: [Google]
firefox os.png
357KB, 1406x676px
>>62270681
also these emojis appear to have been designed by and for autists
>>
>>62270630
>You have the wrong version installed then.
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/https-everywhere/

I have this one.
>>
It's got more extensions than Brave.

WRECKED
>>
i turned off automatic upgrades and I'm going to sit on FF56 forever.
>>
>>62270681
everyone shills chrome on /g/ so you can stop it with muh ff boogeymen
>>
File: hmm.png (132KB, 1170x1170px) Image search: [Google]
hmm.png
132KB, 1170x1170px
almost there
>>
>>62271046
>reddit
>>
>the browser once known for customization
>"lol no you can't touch the UI anymore"
>>
>>62270708
Here's the one you want: https://www.eff.org/files/https-everywhere-test/index.html
>>
>>62270556
Self-Destructing Cookies > Cookie AutoDelete
Greasemonkey > Violentmonkey
S3.Google Translator > pick a Google Translate addon you like, there are plenty
>>
>>62271077
>4chan
>>
>>62271077
>3rd most popular website in the US
Might as well >Facebook or something.
>>
>>62271181
>>62271158
>>62271046
kys you're selvfes
>>
>>62271181
>facebook
>>
>>62269208
this, but unironically
>>
Is there a good webextention dark theme for firefox? FT DeepDark isn't supported anymore and the default "Compact Dark" theme has the bookmarks menus white
>>
I will run pale meme in a sandbox forever.
>>
File: 8326473284.jpg (691KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
8326473284.jpg
691KB, 1920x1080px
>>62269208
>tfw the last extension i was waiting on got ported last week
>>
>>62269078
As an addon dev, mozilla pissed me off one time too many a few years ago. I took all my shit, ported it to chrome, and ditched firefox entirely.

Now with webext, my addons are starting to break, but I CBA to put in the time and effort to fix them (read: rewrite them again) because I don't use them anymore myself (not the firefox versions anyway). My 15k users aren't happy about that.

I found a guy who uses my addons and thus has an interest in keeping them working, and is also a programmer. He's gonna learn how jetpack and webext work and port it for me, then I'll review and publish his new versions. Everybody wins.

Mozilla can still suck my dick though. Their priorities are still wrong and their ability to get anything useful done in a timely and practical manner is still non-existent.
>>
File: 6Uh5DjP.png (6KB, 461x122px) Image search: [Google]
6Uh5DjP.png
6KB, 461x122px
once 57 drops i'm switching that to "never check"
>>
>>62271655
Why is that?
>>
>>62271623
So enjoy sucking corporate cock and let NSA fuck you in the ass.
>>
>>62271133
https://www.reddit.com/r/FirefoxCSS/
>>
>>62271792
at least google offers good shit and doesn't fuck you over all the time by needlessly changing shit, especially not for the worse

I prefer opensource and freedom and all that wherever possible but if it's defunct garbage (like firefox and linux), then no fucking thanks, my time is valuable to me
>>
>>62269133
New and improved formula...
@namespace url(http: //www.mozilla.org/keymaster/gatekeeper/there.is.only.xul);

#sidebar-box {
position: relative !important;
overflow-x: hidden !important;
margin-right: -10px !important;
left: 10px !important;
min-width: 10px !important;
max-width: 10px !important;
}

#sidebar-box:hover {
margin-right: -200px !important;
left: 200px !important;
min-width: 200px !important;
max-width: 200px !important;
}

#sidebar {
opacity: 0 !important;
}

#sidebar:hover {
opacity: 1 !important;
}

#sidebar-header {
display: none !important;
}

#sidebar-splitter {
}
>>
>>62271840
>like linux
you're in the wrong place here friendo

>>>/v/
>>
>>62271840
Time is valuable for big corporations, banks, super computers, other research centers and so on - hence they use Linux.

About web browsers, who the fuck gives a fuck as long as you're 100% sure you've stopped tracking and obfuscated as much of data collection as you could.
>>
>>62271896
nuance: linux on desktop

linux is glorious on servers but it's shit on desktop
>>
>>62271921
>About web browsers, who the fuck gives a fuck
people who do more serious work than just facebooking

>as long as you're 100% sure you've stopped tracking and obfuscated as much of data collection as you could.
whatever data google collects about me, I don't care they collect it. If I gave a fuck that they know my browsing habits and everything else I do online, I'd avoid them, But I don't care that they know that about me, it doesn't disturb my life in any way. I would use firefox if it had the same speed, convenience, stability and comfort as chrome, but it doesn't, so I turn to better alternatives and compromise what I can compromise.
>>
>>62271932
It's shit if you're a simple user computer that even on a full GUI operated system you click just 10% of the buttons mostly for basic tasks, browse the web, game then shut your computer down.

Graphic designers get a free pass as their core software is not available on Linux, but otherwise no other reason not to use Linux on your desktop, especially today consider how much it progressed.

Hell 5 - 10 years ago I remember using Linux from time to time ( it was truly garbage back then for desktop ) simply because it had built-in driver support, drivers were a mess on windows before..
>>
I cant no longer use my own custom html as a new tab startpage

WTF FIREFOX!
>>
>>62271968
What they know NSA knows - what NSA knows every governmental agency in USA knows alongside every intelligence agency in other countries around the world - and other governmental agencies in the respective country also know it.

If you ever googled about drugs, talked about it on facebook and other illegal stuff - I'm sorry for you.

Even if you're a clear person one day your friends, family member, person you're in close contact with from work or other sources will get caught and you will get linked instantly, investigated and become a high profile for everything else for the rest of your life.
>>
>>62271999
I just switched to bookmarking the pages.

Has less style but it's not annoying at all, you can just begin to type in the top bar and the bookmarks will show up first.
>>
>>62271980
I do a lot more than that on my pc and therein lies the problem. On windows setting anything up is a matter of point-and-click pretty much. On linux it's config file and script hell. I want to use a finished OS, not have to program it myself before I can actually make half decent use of it. Every time I try any distro based on any base system, there's always a metric shit ton of problems right off the bat. Boot log full of cryptical errors about god knows what at this point, graphical bugs all over, shutdown hangs, sleep mode hangs, logoff hangs, unsupported graphics setups (nvidia optimus laptops), sound issues, having to look up and install all sorts of stuff to get basic shit like status icons to work right, programs failing to integrate with each other (like with the DE), all sorts of shit oyu need to invest a lot of time and effort into to figure it out, like getting goddamn wifi and resolv.conf to work (my resolv.conf kept getting overwritten by some unknown process, even after I disabled the most likely culprits), etc. Meanwhile on windows everything just works and if you need to tinker with anything there's a simple gui for it that lets you do all you need to be able to without having to practically learn a config-file specific DSL.
>>
>>62271834
Stop shilling your shitty new subreddit you tard
>>
>>62272151
I found it helpful.

Shill on, you crazy diamond.
>>
>>62272025
>What they know NSA knows - what NSA knows every governmental agency in USA knows alongside every intelligence agency in other countries around the world - and other governmental agencies in the respective country also know it.
I'm of no interest to any of those 3 letter word organizations

>If you ever googled about drugs, talked about it on facebook and other illegal stuff
I'm not a degenerate doing shit like that

>Even if you're a clear person one day your friends, family member, person you're in close contact with from work or other sources will get caught and you will get linked instantly, investigated and become a high profile for everything else for the rest of your life.
I don't keep degenerates like that as friends
>>
>>62272100
as long as they dont change this i guess i will be using chromium
>>
File: ad0a72aeceee41210e71686a25b136.jpg (27KB, 471x252px) Image search: [Google]
ad0a72aeceee41210e71686a25b136.jpg
27KB, 471x252px
>no more DownThemAll
>no more FEBE
>>
>>62272404
>>no more FEBE
just make zip archives of your profile folder. Making a backup of your profile files while firefox is running and modifying said files is a pretty dumb concept
>>
>>62272479
Which one?
D:\Programs\PortableApps\PortableApps\FirefoxPortable\App\DefaultData
D:\Programs\PortableApps\PortableApps\FirefoxPortable\Data
>>
>>62272568
>using portableapps
that was a pretty horrible experience desu

>he uses something called portableapps and doesn't realize making backups consists of nothing more than making a copy of the root directory of the program, D:\Programs\PortableApps\PortableApps\FirefoxPortable
>>
>>62272667
>that was a pretty horrible experience
Why?
>>
>>62272691
if a program's original developers don't make their own portable version, a portable mod cobbled together by enthusiasts is bound to have all kinds of issues. It was years ago that I used portableapps but I remember having all sorts of stupid problems with it that would never happen with an original portable version of my programs
>>
>>62272762
Well, I've been using it for years and never had any problems.

Anyway, I've made zips of both folders. Thank you for the advice!
>>
>>62272788
>Anyway, I've made zips of both folders
no no no!
Make a zip or other form of copy of just the root folder of the entire program. It's in the name portableapps: you just "port" the entire apps wherever you need them, be it another pc or a backup. That's the simplest, fastest, and most error-proof way to do it and doesn't require you to dissect the structure and integrity of a portableapp
Thread posts: 62
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.