[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Does anyone here use a Pi as a small home server? Instead of

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2

File: home-products-cta__image.png (284KB, 574x391px) Image search: [Google]
home-products-cta__image.png
284KB, 574x391px
Does anyone here use a Pi as a small home server? Instead of one of those VPS things I'd like to use one at home for some programming / school fun. I was thinking of trying Gentoo or a BSD for this one (I have an Arch, have used all the normie distros in school/work).

Some other questions:

-How's compiling on it?

-In how little time could I configure it to run screenless with only SSH to meddle into it, if I'm used to installing Arch (ie. my install got fucked up multiple times by the Windows image also living on this computer).
>>
>>62269024
well for starters im not even sure that gentoo runs on it
second it takes literally seconds to get it running headless
>>
>>62269024
go for raspbian or void, nigger.
>>
>>62269058
Yup, there's an entry on the Gentoo wiki of Gentoo running on it, they advise compiling on PC and chrooting into the SD installation, but I'd like to use it for some idiotic remote compilation service I wanna try doing.

>>62269107
>debian
I'll look up void, thanks
>>
bad idea, pis are slow compared to PCs and if you compile on them you're gonna end up with arm binaries unless you set up a cross compiler, which is a gigantic pain in the ass. i would know, i have to deal with these fucking toolchains to build embedded crap for avr and stm32.
>>
>>62270360
A Pi is fine for compiling small projects. Stop trying to sound smarter than you are, no one is going to realistically try and compile large libraries or large embedded tools.
>>
>>62269024
yes
>-How's compiling on it?
fast
>>
>>62269024
>-In how little time could I configure it to run screenless with only SSH to meddle into it,
Download rapsbian lite
dd it to your m. sd card
ssh into it with default creds, change the password with passwd
>>
>>62270440
is it fine for compiling whatever you need on the pi? absolutely, will it suck for op's intended use: a remote compiling service? yep
dealing with cross compiling is so much worse than the speed, though. hope OP wants remotely compiled arm binaries.
PS no one "builds large embedded tools," they download them.
>>
>>62269024
I run rasbian on mine with a 2TB external usb hdd

Its really amazing for how cheap it is and how easy to setup.

Its the entry point to ssh into my home network. And I run an rtorrent server, and apache server on it and have backup scripts for my laptop and pc for it. I highly recommend you get one.
>>
>>62269058
>>62270478

In the newest version of Rasbian you have to put a file called "ssh" in /boot, as its disabled by default. Took me a while to figure out
>>
>>62270600
>they disable ssh by default
literally why
>>
>>62270623
So retards dont get hacked because they dont change the default password
>>
File: DSCN1196.jpg (2MB, 3456x4608px) Image search: [Google]
DSCN1196.jpg
2MB, 3456x4608px
>>62270642
this, pretty much

Minibian is a nice base for server-like stuff
>>
>>62270533
It's also amazingly slow. I hope you like your 6MB/s transfer speeds compared to like 100MB/s if you plug it in directly.
>>
>>62270642
you'd have to go an extra mile to ssh in to the pi from outside your network, no?
>>
>>62270686
Some people just set up DMZ... Yeah, really.
>>
>>62270683
Mine hits 11MB/s on a good day, hovers around 10,5 mostly. Networkcontroller is the bottleneck but its good enough for my files.

>>62270686
Imagine setting up the raspi in an office or workspace. The moment it your co-worker or peer boots it up for the first time you ssh into it and fuck it up. The poor guy only wanted to do some Python learing, never even heard of ssh
>>
It is a great idea but I will suggest you to spend a few bucks more. I bought an Odroid XU4 and I couldn't be happier. I feel it just fast, I mean, I'm not expert, I just think it could do everything even heavy tasks. Runniing some custom Debian from their own forum.
>>
Pis are great to tinker and learn new shit on, but when your needs exceed it, you can just spin up an actual server. I've still got an old Pi 2 running a PBX system and other PHP5.6 shit apart from my main server (with PHP7).
>>
>>62270623
because little kids get this and they all are too retarded to change the standard password
>>
I have one set up as a seedbox and media server. It works fine for streaming media, but dragging and dropping files is a nightmare thanks to USB 2.0 and the 100MB/s port.
>>
>>62269024
yes
>>
>>62272188
Mb, not MB.
>>
>>62269024
I hear it is a really bad idea to run a raspberry pi server for some reason that I forget. Something about the raspbians packages being old or being easy to hack for some reason. I don't remember but just mentioning this incase any /g/uys are gonna use this for public facing things.
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.