[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What isn't to like about this language? >Expressive type

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 3

What isn't to like about this language?
>Expressive type system with built in variants
>Obvious and straightforward error handling
>Most polymorphic techniques from other languages are covered elegantly with just traits and generics
>Efficient, no GC
>Same opportunity for low level optimizations as C or C++ with unsafe blocks
I don't get what the hate is for. The community is wank, but the concepts are solid and so are the implementations.
>>
>>62264265

Convince me and post some neat examples of how the language looks like..
>>
>wants to be a system programming language
>doesnt have support for linux native polling functions and IPC, need external libraries that do it and those dont even do it completely
its a meme language
>>
>autistic language made for the most autistic freaks
>look at this dumbass, pointless pet project I wrote in Rust!

It's why you Rustfags will never be taken seriously.
>>
>expressive type system
That's why when working with Iterators, your types soon look like
core::iter::Zip<core::iter::FilterMap<'_, (&std::collections::hash::set::HashSet<attr::Attribute>, &attr::Attribute), &attr::Attribute, core::iter::Zip<core::iter::Repeat<&std::collections::hash::set::HashSet<attr::Attribute>>, core::iter::Map<'_, (&attr::Attribute, &()), &attr::Attribute, std::collections::hash::map::Entries<'_, attr::Attribute, ()>>>>, core::iter::FilterMap<'_, (&std::collections::hash::set::HashSet<attr::Attribute>, &attr::Attribute), &attr::Attribute, core::iter::Zip<core::iter::Repeat<&std::collections::hash::set::HashSet<attr::Attribute>>, core::iter::Map<'_, (&attr::Attribute, &()), &attr::Attribute, std::collections::hash::map::Entries<'_, attr::Attribute, ()>>>>>
>>
File: 1503841075156.jpg (546KB, 2000x1333px) Image search: [Google]
1503841075156.jpg
546KB, 2000x1333px
>>62264265
nearly completly replaceable by Python with statistics and numeric libs...

tho all the pain of learning it is wasted then.. ;(
>>
>>62264351
>what is type inference
>>
this shit language has even worse syntax than c++, which is already barely decipherable.
the only thing that puts slightly above c++ overall is that it's safer. That's it.
In every other regard it is worse, even in compile times with many crates.
>>
>>62264265
> What isn't to like about this language?

The syntax is absolute arse. But that's just a personal opinion, and the main reason why I personally won't ever touch rust.

> I don't get what the hate is for.

Because it was made popular not for it's credentials and abilities, not for its many appearances in scientific papers, and not for its wide adoption by enterprises and scientific institutions, but rather, because a metric fuckton of gays, feminists and SJW's would not shut the fuck up about it, and how progressive it is.

Hell, just look at the places using it. It's not NASA or CERN or Nasdaq or any kind of large commercial entity that uses it regularily.
The only companies actively using and promoting it are fucking diversity hire places like Mozilla, and the only reason -they're- using it is because their internal army of blue haired trannies and homo boytoys in chastity cages won't shut the fuck up about how fucking progressive it is.
>>
>>62264367

>the python fag completely misses the point

It's all good.
Learn some C basics and then come back.

Maybe you'll understand why "Python with statistics and numeric libs" has nothing to do with the problems Rust tackles.

>>62264404

Thanks, made me smile.
>>
>>62264404
go away /pol/
>>
Rust is an amazing language. It's also the future, as evidenced by it's objectively superior design, its rapidly growing community, and the fact that it was voted "most loved" on the StackOverflow survey two years in a row. You can join us on Rust, or you can get left behind.
>>
>>62264265
Difficult to use
>>
>>62264265
Chicken and egg problem. No companies are hiring for Rust. Developers likely not interested in re-writing for marginal improvement in performance
>>
>>62264404
>The SJW-argument
really?
also
>blue haired trannies and homo boytoys in chastity cages
Stop it, you are giving me a Boner.

Other than that: I am indeed highly suspicious of this language.
It is, at this point, so self hosted,
that it is impossible to truely and effectively audit the compiler.
And even if you self-compile, you will practically need to use a second binary-blob beyond CC to compile it.
Also for embedded: It is basically everything, that the embedded Dev never asked for.
Getting it to work, initially (bc. runtime and arse) , is awful, and it doesn't cover the whole spectrum of embedded (i.e. sub Cortex-M3) for the reason of not having a Point there.
>>
>>62264265
Tests fail on FreeBSD and OpenBSD
>>
>>62264265

>Same opportunity for low level optimizations as C or C++ with unsafe blocks

Defeat the whole purpose of using Rust then.
Anyway, C or C++ are literally invincible.
>>
>>62264265
.unwrap().unwrap().unwrap()
>>
>>62264351
>core::iter::Zip<core::iter::FilterMap<'_, (&std::collections::hash::set::HashSet<attr::Attribute>, &attr::Attribute), &attr::Attribute, core::iter::Zip<core::iter::Repeat<&std::collections::hash::set::HashSet<attr::Attribute>>, core::iter::Map<'_, (&attr::Attribute, &()), &attr::Attribute, std::collections::hash::map::Entries<'_, attr::Attribute, ()>>>>, core::iter::FilterMap<'_, (&std::collections::hash::set::HashSet<attr::Attribute>, &attr::Attribute), &attr::Attribute, core::iter::Zip<core::iter::Repeat<&std::collections::hash::set::HashSet<attr::Attribute>>, core::iter::Map<'_, (&attr::Attribute, &()), &attr::Attribute, std::collections::hash::map::Entries<'_, attr::Attribute, ()>>>>>
so this is the power language even worse than sepples
>>
>>62265018
>100% of the code is possibly unsafe
>small parts tagged "unsafe" are possibly unsafe

Which is better? Which do you think is easier to debug when there are errors?
>>
>>62265040
Better than exceptions.
>>
>>62265018
Fuck you, C++. Where is my modules system?
>>
>>62265094
Just wait for C++20 :3
>>
>>62264842
Why, the fuck, do you, write, like, a fucking, retard.
>>
>>62264842
this, reddit, typing
>>
>>62265220
this site, this anon^, thinks reddit is always bad
>>
>>62264288
Why would you want Linux shit build into your language? The language already favours Unix based stuff heavily and Windows is just an afterthought for them.
No clear standard of what does what and what means what. The module system is a fucking mess because no one really knows what a module is or what it is supposed to be a module.
>>
>>62264288
>Rust being more Unix than C
kek
>>
Maybe Rust fans should start making a point by posting programs they've made instead of shilling the language on /g/.
>>
Speaking of which, I'm looking for programs written in Rust. Not libraries, actual useful programs.

So far I have ripgrep, exa, a clone of parallel
>>
https://twitter.com/jonathan_blow/status/510870188896813056
>>
Honestly even more retarded than having a BC, enforcing it every single time you want to build your project is beyond fucking retarded. You simply can't prototype in such a language and that's half the work when programming. Only unexperienced programmers would think you are always going to write code you want to be as bug-free and clean as possible first try.
>inb4 "just unsafe {} everything lmao"
>>
>>62265092
except TheyArent as e:
print e
>>
>>62265373
Alacritty looks promising

>>62265541
That's from 2014 before 1.0. Still valid though.

However i don't see the difference between that and JavaScript programmers bitching about dealing with pointers in C desu.

Still i think jblow's own language might also be a decent entry itself. Modern C++ replacement without Rust's safety.
>>
>>62265616
>Modern C++ replacement without Rust's safety
You mean without the guarantee of rejecting valid programs? Sure beats Rust by an infinite margin, no matter how bad it ends up being.
>>
>>62265600
>hidden return values
>hidden execution paths
Exceptions are orthogonal to robust code.
>>
>>62265616
He seems like a pretty smart guy. I learned a lot from him and his friend Casey about programming - particularly related to how shitty abstractions can be. Hopefully Jai ends up being what he needs it to be.
>>
>>62265656
>particularly related to how shitty abstractions can be
They're as unreasonable about fighting abstraction as Idris programmers are about embracing them.
>>
>>62265616

> A GPU accelerated terminal

How about an useful project?
>>
>>62265667
They're not AGAINST abstractions as a concept, but merely point out that abstractions are not zero-cost, and often (in OOP especially since you're kind of forced to) programmers will imagine how something needs to be abstracted before they write the code, leading to abstractions that aren't really suitable for the problem. If you dedicate yourself to a particular abstraction before the problem is fully solved then you're just tying your hands.
>>
File: 1503318320348.gif (4MB, 334x251px) Image search: [Google]
1503318320348.gif
4MB, 334x251px
>>62265696
>mfw it's real
>>
>>62265643
>"Every language should make undefined behavior easy as C"

Retard
>>
One downside is it's slow as fuck to compile.
>>
>>62264288
> polling
why the fuck do you need polling? I've never used polling even for embedded systems
>>
>>62265783
As slow as sepples?
>>
I'm so glad anti-SJW /pol/turds will be too triggered to use this. If behaving like a SJW is enough to get /pol/ spastic bottom feeders to stop using your software then what else can we SJW-ify? We need to remove /pol/. They have never contributed anything of value to tech, they literally have mentally ill/unknown people like Terry to represent them while we have MOTHERFUCKING Silicon Valley. All of GitHub contribution is by SJW people for a reason.

Goodnight altshite.
>>
>>62264265
>What isn't to like about this language?
it's developed by anti freespeech SJWs and literal faggots
>>
>>62265920
t. a NEET or JS faggot who never coded a single c/c++ in his entire miserable life
>>
>>62265749
This has nothing to do with UB, moron.
>>
>>62265783
incremental builds are ready to ship in the next compiler version
>>
>>62265696
>A GPU accelerated terminal
>not useful
Clearly you never compiled before.
>>>/v/
(don't ever try gentoo)
>>
Redox OS has come along nicely.
I'd expect it to be more secure than Mac considering there's no market for existing malware to target it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Redox_OS
>>
>>62266150
I'm impressed that Redox is so close to being self hosted
>>
>>62266126
Woah... so this is the power... of rustlets...
>>
>>62266166
Not sure if that's irony but I'd think so.
>>
>>62266215
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rust_%28programming_language%29#Projects_using_Rust

>"Magic Pocket – Dropbox's file system that powers their Diskotech petabyte storage machines"

>rust filesystem that handles petabytes
>petabytes

BTRFS BTFO
>>
>>62266032
What valid safe program does rust reject that isn't trivial to solve with small ownership related changes?
>>
>>62266233
>Actually, full disclosure, we really just rewrote a couple of components in Rust. Most of Magic Pocket (the distributed storage system) is still written in golang.
>>
>>62266285
Xorlist
>>
The most amazing thing about Rust are the terrible abstractions they come up with. And when you think it can't get worse, they replace it with even crappier abstractions.

Their whole asynchronous IO shit is a prime example, makes JavaScript look sane.
>>
>>62266541
Async is not even a part of rust itself
>>
I legitimately don't trust Mozilla to maintain a project anymore. I'm sending this from their dying browser project known as Firefox.
>>
>>62266292
why would you fragmentate your code like this?
if people keeps rewriting code for every meme language that the market pumps out the whole thing eventually will collapse.
Just stay with the well established languages and document your fucking projects like a woman would do or just hire one to do that.
>>
>>62264351
Is that legit or just another Daft Punk song?
Thread posts: 64
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.