[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Who here /secretary/? I just got a job as one and I'm wondering

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 7

File: download (3).jpg (6KB, 275x183px) Image search: [Google]
download (3).jpg
6KB, 275x183px
Who here /secretary/? I just got a job as one and I'm wondering what are the keys to optimizing doing trivial shit others can't be bothered to do
>>
>>62264196
Ask for a budget. And then proceed to hire your own secretary.
>>
>>62264229
Unfortunately not viable in my situation, but good idea. It's more of a personal assistant kinda thing than general management
>>
>>62264258
>PA
King of beta males
>>
>>62264196
Go as digital as you can.
No paper notes, paper diary and so on.
>>
>>62264196
Do you suck dicks ?
>>
>>62264844
Any good guides on optimizing data entry and stuff like that I should familiarize myself with?I feel like I'm doing too much manually
>>62264857
I mean I'm not opposed to it.
>>62264828
I can't be beta male, my dick is feminine
>>
>>62264888
>Any good guides on

At this point you already failed. Go keep writing things on paper, you don't need (((guides))) for that.
>>
>>62264910
It just feels like there are a lot of unnecessary steps to the process that could cost hours long term if I had a better understanding
>>
>>62264196
hot chick detected
>>
>>62264196
Learn programming.
Not because it is a better field, but because everything you do is tribal to implement and if you do implement it, you can goof off a lot more.
Something like python is efficient enough and it is mostly just plain English anyway, so it shouldn't take too long to learn.
If you can't think of what to implement, take notes for everything you do and note how much time it takes to do so.
Find the thing that would save you the most time and start with that.
>>
>>62265011
Thanks I'll look into that
>>
Post boipucci
>>
>>62264196
>>>/soc/
>>
>>62265066
Not sure you know what soc is. This thread wasn't made for socializing or real world connection. It was for discussing the largely tech based field of secretarial work
>>
>>62264196
install gentoo
>>
>>62264196
Learn vim and some programming language like Ruby or Python. The basics of shell scripting might be useful also.
>>
Fuck all these guys telling you to learn these 'odd' languages. You will probably live and die by whatever you can script in office. Maybe you could code your own web request forms and run them on a rpi or an old pc.

The average administrative assistant plays a game where they hide when in the office, take vacation scheduled around when the people they work for will be in the office, and be so much of a pain in the ass about trivial requests that nobody asks them to do anything.

If you can 'code' useful stuff in Access and excel and you actually work to solve peoples problems and handle the administrative burden, you can be a god to the organization.
>>
>>62264196
How'd you get it, I want to be a secretary.
>>
>>62265507
>how to become a secretary
Isn't that an entry-level job?
Our team-assistance has a masters degree in some field I don't know I'd there is any demand, literature or languages, can't remember and can't find her card atm.
Being fit and good looking certainly helps.
>>
>>62265637
I had no qualifications, I asked a job finding person to get me an office job, and this is what I got. I don't think you really need much more than an open position famalamy.
>>
File: espressomachine.jpg (99KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
espressomachine.jpg
99KB, 1200x1200px
Is this the coffee machine thread? Getting a new one and I've been wondering if the capsule or other instant coffee solutions are worth it in convenience or taste.
>>
>>62264196
I assume you're probably using Windows.

- Familiarize yourself with Microsoft products and shortcuts. Ctrl-<stuff>, Alt-<stuff>, Win-<stuff>. Customize your settings to your liking. Install Autohotkey if you have to.

- Excel and Outlook are probably the Office tools you will use the most. Have templates ready for trivial shit. No need to write "Please see the attached file for your reference." ten times a day.

- Try to learn VBA if you want to automate stuff. It's a shit language, but anything anyone asks you to send to them will just work because they don't have to install shit. There's stuff like batch and powershell. Don't bother with them unless you are comfortable with programming.

- Use package manager like chocolatey. If the not comfortable with commandline, install the GUI as well. Always try to see if there's a free program that can do X for you instead of wasting time with Visio/Powerpoint/whatever.

Also, don't forget my coffee, 8 am sharp everyday ;)
>>
File: 1479550628256.jpg (370KB, 657x1920px) Image search: [Google]
1479550628256.jpg
370KB, 657x1920px
Just make sure to look pretty for mr bossman and you can't go wrong
>>
>>62266031
damn, that's too much work, Being a girl sucks.
>>
>>62266194
guys can do it too, it's totally optional!
>>
>>62265819
Total meme.
>>
I don't believe there's a secretary here, probably 99,9% here are men, 90% are neet, 9% are CS students and 9% have a job in IT area.

In your office, probably you already have a software to do this shit.

But, if you tell us exactly what are this "trivial shit", we can indicate something.
>>
>>62266249
No, we can't, faggot.
>>
>>62264828
>king
More like the PA to the king of beta males.
>>
I'd probably write tools to automate stuff for me. But that's probably more work than the ordinary job.
It's work I'd enjoy a lot more though.

What kind of things do you do?
>>
>>62266462
If you have a little femboi doing your menial chores that is the surefire way to tell that you've made it into chad territory as an adult.
>>
>>62266474
Get coffee, keep track of schedules, talk to people for him, send his wife/family presents for Christmas, birthday etc., keep track of birthdays and holidays, restaurant reservations, plane tickets, game tickets. Just regular secretary stuff.
>>
File: 1480413469197.jpg (87KB, 500x566px) Image search: [Google]
1480413469197.jpg
87KB, 500x566px
>>62266474
A variety of tasks. Today I've been writing and printing some papers that show where people are seated as well as written a list of peoples birthdays and other trivial stuff. I've also been printing and cutting some business cards for my boss. The only challenging project I have going on right now is the translation of an instruction manual that another department needs for a ventilation system or something like that(it's hard to tell, I have no context). It's difficult because it's clearly been google translated into english from another language, and now I have to translate it one language further while still having it make sense, with technical language that I don't know what means in the first place.
I feel lthat particularly the writing of birthdays and names was very inefficient. But I guess now that I'm home I'll look into some of these suggestions to better myself and I'll see what I can figure out.
>>
>>62266616
Also stuff like getting coffee and other short tasks, but I haven't really done anything like keeping track of my boss schedule or taking calls, I think I'm being eased into it all.
>>
>>62264196
you are being paid to do the trivial shit other people can't be bothered to do. don't try to weasel out of it.
>>
>>62266429
watch a few episodes of Torchwood. Ianto Jones did it, and Jack Harkness blew him regularly.
>>
File: confusedblackman.jpg (84KB, 671x524px) Image search: [Google]
confusedblackman.jpg
84KB, 671x524px
>>62266687
Pretty sure I acknowledge that in the very post you're responding to.
>>
>>62266700
Every hollywood star period.
>>
>>62266616
Quit. No money is worth the shame.
>>
File: confused.jpg (176KB, 1280x1024px) Image search: [Google]
confused.jpg
176KB, 1280x1024px
>>62266810
I don't feel ashamed at all, I am happy to be a productive member of society.
>>
>>62266837
No the other anon is right, you're doing the work equivalent of crossdressing. Might as well work in a gloryhole if you're gonna be a fag.
>>
>>62266907
Mhm, sure anon.
>>
>>62264196
>PA
Lmao why not just get a normal data entry position
>>
OP: Learn excel, javascript, regular expressions and autohotkey scripting. And how to set up vmware environments. With this you can automate almost any task. For anything else there are deep convoluted networks, sql and a programming language of your choice though that's for people with a black belt in laziness only.
>>
>>62265972

>VBA

just press that record button and do what you normally do

The output will be hacky but its easy to automate
>>
>>62265254
This, if you want to seem like a decent secretary that wants an easy and efficient linux to work on.

>"Main reasons I came to Gentoo were that I wasn't happy with the technical merits of the RPM based distros and was put off by the elitist Debian attitude."

>"I essentially started using Gentoo because my ....ing KDE clock would never show the right time in Red Hat."
>>
>>62266616
>I've also been printing and cutting some business cards for my boss.
nope, you're bullshitting us. none of this is real
>>
>>62267521
Most secretary work is done in office programs. Why would you run linux.
>>
>>62267659
But it's true. They have this machine specifically for it. it's pretty neat.
>>
>>62264229
>managment drone
>>
>>62264196
go on youtube and search for glossy koding or klossy koding. She covers pretty much your line of work.
>>
>>62267521
>Using Gentoo because you dislike elitism
Thread posts: 53
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.