[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>out of 2 billion android devices only 6% of people use android

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 2

File: Clipboard01.png (33KB, 718x595px) Image search: [Google]
Clipboard01.png
33KB, 718x595px
>out of 2 billion android devices only 6% of people use android 7 which has been out forever

Jeez, just like... update your shit mang, stop holding everyone back.

It's such a pain in the ass when you have to develop your applications for droid several versions lower, because stupid fucking normies are incapable of taking 5 minutes to flash their shit
>>
I'll update when xposed comes out
>>
android runs on a bunch of garbage devices that can't realistically be updated. even "good" devices (like flagship consumer smartphones) can't be assured updates for more than a year or two out. no company has a consistent track record of releasing phones that are still supported more than a year out (maybe it would help if they focused on fewer lines of phones and actually committed to supporting them, but i digress).

if you can't be sure a smartphone from 2 years ago will get prompt security updates, you can sure as shit bet that a lot of shitty quasi-internet-of-things devices that run slightly more high end hardware and therefore run android will _never_ get updated.
>>
Newer versions of android generally tend to perform worse.

>It's such a pain in the ass when you have to develop your applications for droid several versions lower
Just use the support library, dumbass
>>
>>62262862
I won't, the main dev is a lazy cunt who only pretends he still works on it so that people won't spam him with hate.
But as he himself said, due to fuckery in nougat, he would have to rewrite almost the entire xposed from scratch.
So if you want it, you will have to use one of the unoficcial branches, which provide only 10% of the stability
>>
>>62262882
Anyone who purchases a phone without checking if it has a massive community behind it on XDA is an idiot. I purchased an xperia l 4 years ago, and back then it was already outdated and low end tier phone, which only got updated to jelly bean by sony and thanks to xda i'm running nougat 7.1 on it smoothly as fuck
>>
>>62262843
I've been waiting for this thread. Now you're here, you can use your ample flashing wisdom to help me out.

I have an LG G2 which was stuck on Android 5 or so, so I decided to flash it up to LineageOS's current build. I followed these instructions to the letter:

https://wiki.lineageos.org/devices/d802/install

Rooted the device, installed recovery, loaded up the images, wiped the device, flashed the images and rebooted and... Nothing, just straight back into recovery. I tried flashing about ten different images from two different versions of TWRP and in all cases the phone just booted straight into recovery without exception, regardless of what boot option I selected in TWRP or adb. I tried custom ROMs from XDA Developers, I tried with and without GApps, I tried installing every nightly build Lineage had to offer. I couldn't locate any kind of boot logs to indicate what was going wrong or really any useful information of the ARM boot procedure at all.

So, if flashing is as easy as you claim, what went wrong and how do I fix this?
>>
>>62262843
>lolipop
>kitkat
>jelly bean

android faggots confirmed for overweight sugar addicted menchildren
>>
>>62262933
>Anyone who purchases a phone without checking if it has a massive community behind it on XDA is an idiot.
1) a lot of people buy a phone soon after it comes out. going to XDA to see if there will in the future be a thriving community is difficult what with time flowing in one direction and all that.

2) most people — hell, even if you specify "people who self-report an interest in consumer electronics" — have no interest in relying on a grassroots community for updates that ought to be drama-free in the first place. the fact that you have to go to any extra effort to get major android updates for your phone is insane. you've been trained to accept shitty support from lazy companies.

to be clear, i'm not saying these communities shouldn't exist. it's good that they do. if you want to run a custom ROM, you should be able to. but you shouldn't *have* to run a custom ROM to get the latest major android versions (to say nothing of security updates that carriers and OEMs drag their feet getting to consumers).

all of this is why android is a fragmented mess. be a condescending faggot if you want, but the fact remains that the community of people who use android is inexorably fragmented. just like there are still bank machines running COBOL code, there will probably be decrepit public terminals running Android 4.whatever in 10 or 15 years. your savvy picking of the best smartphone based on future knowledge of what will get first party support (and apparent precognitive knowledge of what will attract a reliable community 2 or 3 years out) notwithstanding, most android devices are garbage and never getting updated.
>>
>>62262986
Are you sure you installed the recommended version of TWRP? I couldn't install LineageOS on my phone because I had the wrong version of TWRP.
>>
>>62263023
As far as I know yes, I tried the most up to date one I could find for the d802 and also the known good one that I used last time I flashed on the G3 firmware back in 2014 or so.
>>
>>62262986
That is impossible, if a rom is installed incorrectly it will cause a bootloop or constant resets, it it boots into recovery it means there is no rom installed on the phone. Look at the lg g2 thread on xda, i am pretty sure many people are running nougat since g2 is a flagshit phone, even thought it's old as fuck by now
>>
>>62263019
>is difficult what with time flowing in one direction and all that.
Not it's not.

Is the phone a flag ship released by a major company like sony, xiaomi, lg or similar? Then it will have a huge following.
It's literally that easy
>>
>>62262843
>implying the updates ever get to us

my g4 onplus one, galaxy s4, and oneplus x almost never recieved updates
>>
>>62263199
You have to do it yourself by flashing manually
>>
>>62263237
i flashed cyanogen on the onplus phones and got maybe 1 update
>>
>>62263245
I hope you are joking. Cyanogen project is deprecated and was replaced by lineageOS, not to mention that in 80% of cases over the air firmware update is not working in custom roms, you have to stop a being lazy cunt and check the rom release threads for your phone once a month

Also, cm and leange os are trash, use ressurection remix
>>
>>62263271
this was awhile ago
>>
>>62263161
How can there be no ROM installed if TWRP reports that the flash completed successfully?
>>
>>62263333
Check the xda, if you see that other people with the same phone are flashing without any problems it means it is your own fuck up
My guess would be the boot image is not being flashed for some reason
>>
>>62263271
>Giving that much fucks
Chill
I won't even update my honor 8 to 7 because of shitty emui 5 and no I won't bother with custom roms.
Btw phones tend to work best with appropriate software from their age. Bloated shit doesn't really fit well with old hardware.
>>
>>62263353
I've checked XDA multiple times, it's the scarcely comprehensible ramblings of non-English speakers who know exactly nothing about anything, even the people who clearly know something and provide tools are still bad at English, provide all their tools as inscrutable Windows binaries and explain exactly nothing.

Is there no boot log I can check to see what the bootloader attempted to do and what actually happened?
>>
>>62262843
Android's design flaw is that it lets anyone but Google be in charge of system updates, at least for phones that don't run fully custom androids like Touchwiz/MIUI. Plus the fact that "rooting" is a thing. Without those 2 shitty design decisions Android would be amazing.
>>
>>62263422
>Without those 2 shitty design decisions Android would be amazing botnet platform.
Well, in fact it still is.
>>
>>62263422
>Plus the fact that "rooting" is a thing
>you should not be able to use the device you purchased the way you want
Really Makes You Think !
>>
>>62263563
I interpreted that as "The fact that rooting is a dangerous sometimes impossible procedure and not the default state of the device".
>>
>>62262843
android 7 is out since forever

meanwhile android 7 launched a year ago
>>
>>62262843
What is the point of updating? Anything special about 7?

Don't you need to update iOS or be locked out of apps?
>>
>>62263563
>>62263690
I meant it should come with root permissions by default just like every desktop OS.
>>
>>62263751
There are much better ways to word that.
>>
>>62263759
Reading back I agree, but I've been saying the default no root permission is shit since forever so I don't pay attention on how I word it anymore.
>>
File: 1503380202899.jpg (112KB, 574x899px) Image search: [Google]
1503380202899.jpg
112KB, 574x899px
>buy android phone
>never receive updates

You only get the latest Android by buying the latest flagship phones regularly. Most people buy cheap android phones running Jellybean, so OP's pic is hardly surprising.

You should not buy Android phones. The OS has all the failings of Linux mixed with Google spyware.

I wish Windows phones were still around, yeah they were a meme, but it was nice to have a low end alternative to lagdroid.
>>
>>62263839
>lagdroid
You're a huge fan of memes I see.
>>
>>62262882
>no company has a consistent track record of releasing phones that are still supported more than a year out
Have you even heard of a company called Sony, asswipe?
>>
>>62262986
Its lg fuckery. Use this. https://forum.xda-developers.com/lg-g2/development/twrp-twrp-2-8-0-0-kernel-f2fs-tools-t2898705
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.