[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Redpill me on OpenBSD. Can I use it as my primary OS?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 4

Redpill me on OpenBSD. Can I use it as my primary OS?
>>
>>62261676
its shit
>>
literally the worst OS ever made
>>
>>62261676
FBI backdoored, do not touch.
>>
>>62261676
the mascot looks just like the average user
>>
>>62261676
Its good if you enjoy pain
>>
>>62261676
You can really only use it if you have an older Thinkpad or an old Macbook. It does work on servers too but it's really not meant for desktop use. Also don't listen to the Lincucks here, there are not and never were backdoors. This is a rumor based completely on some email thread form the early 2000's. There are several government agencies that use OpenBSD internally because of the higher security.

Source: https://youtu(DOT)be/BlgdvSNpi60?t=107
>>
Hoesntly I want to use it just because FreeBSDs mascot is gay
>>
File: 1413653190616.png (35KB, 300x260px) Image search: [Google]
1413653190616.png
35KB, 300x260px
>>62261676
Sure, but you're better off using FreeBSD for compatibility and performance.
>>
>>62261924
>(DOT)
Please end your miserable existence.
>>
>>62261676
It has a very limited software and drivers selection. For desktop usage, you'll be better served with FreeBSD.
>>
>>62261676
Dragonfly or go home
>>
>>62261676
It's great given it has the software you need
>>
I hear it's among the most secure OSes out there, if you can actually get it running encrypted, how true is this?
>>
>>62262237
free what?
>>
File: theoderaadt.png (158KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
theoderaadt.png
158KB, 300x300px
>>62261676
I use OpenBSD on a old tower and on a Dell laptop. It works great if you're not retarded. It has basic office features, but it shows its power for server use, with softraid, pf etc...
>>
>>62263138
Damn. Virtual kernel support looks dope. I might have to try it out. Know if it behaves under xen, or should I go with throwing it on a spare drive?
>>
>NTFS disks are read-only
>security model does not fit desktop that much (running a lot of untrusted software)
>either run -release with older packages, or -current but have to reboot to update base system
>less drivers, some laptops might not have wifi
>no bluetooth support
>no Pandoc port
>weaker VM support - Qemu does not have hardware acceleration and VMM does not handle systemd Linux distros
>forget proprietary graphic drivers
I was surprised how many things worked out of the box on laptop. All the volume keys, brightness, power button, closing lid, suspend and hibernate, settings this on barebone Linux is hell and on desktop distros it never worked for me. If you don't mind mentioned issues, it's solid main OS, but there really isn't any advantage for it as desktop system.
>>
>>62263469
>openbsd server
Constantly breaks something so the answer is no.
>>
>>62265746
>NTFS disks are read-only
openbsd supports FUSE and ntfs-3g
>>
>>62263331
BSD. It's short for "bastard", a word you'll use to describe your BSD operating system every time a driver breaks (i.e. very frequently).
>>
>>62261676
you can but why would you want to?
It's Linux from 10 years ago without it's best part (GPL License).
>>
File: 1504462446864.jpg (11KB, 326x326px) Image search: [Google]
1504462446864.jpg
11KB, 326x326px
[B]roken [S]oftware [D]issapointment
>>
>62261676
Depends on your use case. As a desktop it's a long shot.
As a router/server OS it's great.
>>
>>62266296
thanks for ntfs-3g tip, didn't know about that
>>
>>62266609
Any specific reason to use NTFS?
>>
>>62266626
just few occasional winfags who did not formatted their external hard drives to fat. Not a big deal but it's awkward having to boot liveusb just for this.
>>
>>62261676
Yes, but you're gonna be compiling most of your software from source, by yourself. And I mean real compiling from source, not Gentoo "let me traverse the USEflags menu and feel elite" compiling from source, but manually installing dependencies, setting environment vars, debugging make/configure/install files, etc.

It's a pain in the ass, but the distro is top notch.
>>
>>62265746
Do you have any idea if they are going to do something about the Bluetooth support?
>>
>>62267242
Never, they dropped bluetooth support deliberately in 2014.
>>
>>62267426
Who use Bluetooth in 2017?
>>
>>62267872
Me. Believe me or not but it's pretty useful to share little file when there is no internet connection available, for a wireless thetering or to connect to an external audio device
>>
>>62261924
>There are several government agencies that use OpenBSD internally because of the higher security.
yeah right
>>
>>62263331
BSD. It's short for "beast" because the developers are homosexuals who worship satan
>>
>>62268085
I was trolling anon.
>>
>>62267426
>Never, they dropped bluetooth support deliberately in 2014.
Why?
>>
>>62268267
this[1]

[1] https://marc.info/?l=openbsd-cvs&m=140511572108715&w=2
>>
>>62262237
HA
>>
>>62268166
>Human Rights and Equal Opportunity Commission, Australia
Established in 1986 and based in Sydney, HREOC is an independent statutory organisation which administers federal laws relating to alleged human rights breaches and discrimination. The Commission is also responsible for human rights education and the investigation and conciliation of discrimination and human rights complaints. OpenBSD is being utilised to offer various network services.
>Ministerio de Obras Públicas del Gobierno de Chile
The Public Construction Ministry of the Republic of Chile runs a national WAN and use OpenBSD for their firewalls and link loadbalancers, based on pf. They have been using OpenBSD since the year 2001, and selected the OS so they could sleep well at night without fear of being hacked.
>Instituto Distrital de Cultura y Turismo, Bogota, Colombia
In this government agency, OpenBSD is essential: perimeter firewalls, network intrusion systems, bandwidth managers and a mail filter gateway that uses spamd and some other OpenBSD tools keep their network secure.
>Sonora State Electoral Council, México
This government agency uses OpenBSD to protect its network and for intrusion detection. The OpenBSD-based VPN provides online electoral results to both internal and external users.
>>
>>62269247
Also PasientSky, network infrastructure for healthcare clinics in Norway.
Thread posts: 40
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.