[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is this website legit? https://www.cpubenchmark.net/ Accord

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 1

File: amd-vs-nvidia-min.jpg (61KB, 862x467px) Image search: [Google]
amd-vs-nvidia-min.jpg
61KB, 862x467px
Is this website legit?
https://www.cpubenchmark.net/

According to its GPU side https://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu_value.html the best GPU performance-price wise is Radeon RX 560 ? Is this right?
Is this website good reference to keep track with hardware?

Recommend me something better?
>>
>>62248273
>Recommend me something better?
I meant better website to be updated with hardware not the GPU
>>
Passmark is complete and utter trash
>>
>>62248292
Ok , Im new so I dont have any arguments. I stopped tracking hardware years ago and now I want to get in again.
Recommend me better website for hardware news and benchmarks?
>>
Yes but they use very specific benchmarks. For example a CPU might be very good at calculating primes but not as good at installing Gentoo.
>>
>>62248316
Just search for reviews of whatever GPU you're looking for. What're you planning on doing with your computer?
>>
>>62248333
The thing is I dont have a computer yet. I want to build a new one so Im looking for the best and optimal parts. Of course Im not talking about some gaming battlestation but still want to rely on it for years to come, mostly programming work.
Had this asus laptop for 6 years and it he is doing really good but I need a desktop finally.
>>
>>62248369
Well if you're just looking to do programming work, GPU shouldn't matter much.

My machine, primarily also used for programming, is an i7-5820K and a 750Ti. A Ryzen 1700 would be my choice of CPU if I were building something now as the 8 cores would be really helpful for VMs and compiling.

The GPU doesn't matter much, but I got a 750Ti because I needed something capable of driving 4 different sized displays simultaneously.
>>
>>62248433
Although as I said I'm not up to date with hardware this all sounds too expensive for me.
I will probably have like $500 budget.Thats why I need to think this through.
>>
>>62248464
LOL get out pajeet
>>
>>62248316
Digital Foundry on YouTube.
>>
>>62248464
which puts you back into 3-4 year old tech
>>
>>62248786
fine with me as long as its a desktop and not a laptop
its still a good machine
>>
>>62248464
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/m6qTLD
>>
>>62249103
Thank you anon, I appreciate it very much
>>
>>62248369
Since you're not into gaming I'd shill you an AMD Ryzen CPU. They have a very good performance for that.
>>
>>62249531
Any kind of shilling is welcome lol as long as it goes with a little bit of info as to why to choose given item since i am clueless
>>
>>62248273
Passmark is highly Intel biased .. even two relatively equivalent CPUs, it still gives a 15% advantage to Intel.

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare.php?cmp[]=2966&cmp[]=2794

http://imgur.com/a/wMm1C
>>
>>62248273
Out of all the top value GPUs on that list probably the 1060 3GB is good enough if you're only going to be playing at 1080p.
>>
Forgot to mention that I will be using Linux. AMD/Intel and nVidia/radeon are equally supported? Any downsides?
>>
>>62250134
RX 550/460/560 would give you best price performance since GPU prices are fucked. Nvidia's linux drivers aren't that great from what I remember.
>>
>>62249963
Yeah definitely add an SSD to that build.
>>
>>62249963
But he should, given that Ryzen greatly benefits from highly clocked RAM. You can throw an SSD in there, too, I suppose, if the 1TB of storage isn't needed or in addition to it.

>>62250134
CPU doesn't matter, use open source AMD or Nvidia drivers and you should be fine given that you're not playing games or anything.

>>62250249
From what I can tell, he's not going to be playing any games, so he can get any random cheap GPU and he'll be fine.
>>
To be honest I didnt think there could be this kind of solid builds for 500 bucks.Or am I wrong? It seems that gaming is the break point wether you're going for unessessary expensive station or not.
>>
>>62250370
Well gaming typically requires a powerful GPU, which can drive up prices like crazy, especially nowadays given the situation of GPU prices. For non-gaming builds, CPU tends to be the main cost, which has been greatly reduced thanks to AMD's Ryzen lineup for high core count builds.
>>
>>62250435
>given the situation of GPU prices
dont tell me it has something to do with *coin miners?
Is that why rx580 disappeared
>>
>>62250487
Yes, it does, which is why there is no reasonable price on any AMD GPU made in the past 5 years.
>>
>>62250653
I thought the mining business went on a different level with their dedicated devices for mining. Didnt think they still buy commercial GPUs for that...
>>
>>62250683
Nah, some *coins require the use of GPUs, and as such, consumer GPU supply has gone to shit.
>>
>>62250134
If you're getting nVidia get an older model, 10 series shits all over Nouveau drivers and you can't run shit properly without tons of tinkering.

Look for either current gen (500/400 interchangeable afaik) AMD or last gen and earlier nVidia. If you go intel you can neglect GPU because of iGPU, but you'll most likely be stuck on 2 screens.

Don't cheap out on PSU, Seasonic is decent afaik. Logical Increments has a good list. And some good suggestions for build. You can cheap out on case/kbm/monitor if you wanna go for programming. You (((can))) cheap out on RAM, but if you do, get a single stick. Try to get at least a 120GB SSD. HDDs are dirt cheap usually, HGST>TOSHIBA>WD>Seagate in terms of reliability.

t. Phonefag, might go into detail when I get home.
>>
>>62251090
Samefagging

You can get 2 sticks of RAM if you have 4 slots, not 2. Just make sure you can add stuff later down the line.
>>
>>62251090
Really appreciate this.

>If you go intel you can neglect GPU because of iGPU
Does having Intel CPU implies having iGPU? I dont get it how this works exactly. Is iGPU separate chip integrated into motherboard? Do you have it regardless of CPU?
>>
>>62248292
I disagree. It's decent for getting a quick overview on the performance of a specific part. It may not be extremely accurate, but at least you'll have a ballpark.

It does sometimes mess up with mobile gpu's because of the benchmark sometimes switching to integrated graphics. Also, AMD gpus generally get lower Passmark ratings than their performance in the real world.
>>
>>62250134
Avoid nvidia on linux, only drivers worth using are proprietary shit and even those suck
The RX560 should do fine, is cheap and has good, free drivers
>>
>>62251159

Basically if its an Intel cpu thats not not an X chip or xeon it has an igpu. Intel's igpu is utter shit, but its on basically every consumer part.
>>
>>62251159
Both brands have Integrated Graphics. Ryzen chips with them on board haven't launched yet. Depending on how urgently you want the desktop, you can Waitâ„¢ for Covfefe/AyyPUs from AMD. If you want to buy NOW just get poverty tier build with a Pentium and hope you can slot a cheapish used i5/i7 down the line or get a R3 and a GT710 OR AMD 210 and slot a Zen2/3 later. I'd personally go AMD, but I'm also a bit of a fanboy for them atm.
>>
>>62251323
Samefag

AMD has hands down better iGPU. Also they have an APU lineup compatible with AM4 socket, but I don't know anything about the performance so I can't shill those with a good conscience :)
>>
>>62251361

>AMD has hands down better iGPU.

Want to know the real secret to AMD's igpu lead? Drivers. Intel is in no way equipped to provide the support required to actually squeeze the performance their igpu is capable of out of it because their software support is shockingly bad.
>>
>>62251361
The APU they've got out currently is still on Excavator. That's a no-go.

Honestly for that budget, I'd waitâ„¢ for Raven Ridge.
>>
>>62251323
>>62251361
>>62251417
BUT is it a separate chip on a motherboard? Is it pre-soldered into motherboard so you always get motherboard with intel igpu if you choose intel cpu?
>>
>>62251616
The iGPU is on the CPU itself. All Intel chips except for their HEDT and Xeon lines have one, though the quality varies greatly (and even the higher end ones are garbage really).
>>
>>62251681
sorry and thanks for clarifying that i know how retarded my question sounded with fuckin pre-soldered motherboards but i had to confirm
>>
>>62251167
GPUs, maybe, but CPUs are totally Intel biased on Passmark
>>
>>62251741
In my experience the CPU ratings are fine. Ryzen consistenly scores worse than Kaby Lake in singlethreaded stuff, and Passmark shows the same. The 8350 was really fast when all the cores could be used, but singlethreaded it was piss poor. This also showed in the Passmark results. IMO the CPU ratings are more accurate then the GPU ones.
>>
>>62251697
Bump while I fiddle with pcpartpicker.
>>
>>62251912
This doesn't explain why the top of the list is filled with Xeons at anemic clockspeeds, because they certainly don't have good single core performance.
>>
>>62252285
>>62251697

AMD Build:
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/ZNXjzM

Intel Build:
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/t2KWpb

A few notes on the builds:
You might need a better cooler for the Intel one.
I went with a Z270 because you might be able to slot an i5/i7-K in the future if you stalk craigslist/ebay, but if you go with an H mobo you can save about 70$.

Do OC the Ryzen CPU using the stock fan. I have my [email protected] on stock cooler with stock voltage, it's free performance.

AM4 is compatible going forward with both Ryzen2 and Ryzen3 if we are to believe AMD, Z270 is only compatible with 6th and 7th gen Intel as 8th gen is chipset locked.

You can also go for an Nvidia card as long as it's not 10 series.

Yes, PSU is overkill for the power budget of this build, but if you want to upgrade it's good. Also it was like 10-20$ more expensive than the cheapest ones so it's full worth it imho.

You'll hardly be able to game on the either one if you want to run modern titles. AMD should be better for emulators if OC'ed to Pentium levels speed.

Yes the RAM is expensive, yes it's worth it if you want to upgrade in the future. Yes I went with lower speed on the AMD RAM, but it also has lower CL so if you increase the CL you cna OC it to be faster. If you don't fancy OCing, get the kit form the Intel build. If you manage to find the QVL for the MSI mobo crosscheck with it that the kits are compatible at the rated speeds/latency.
>>
>>62252688
You forgot a case for the lad, he probably doesn't want it lying around like that...
>>
>>62249531
since he doesn't appear to be doing anything required a GPU why not go intel or wait for raven ridge
>>
>>62252688
>>62251697
Sorry I went full derp, FlareX has same CL as Ripjaws. Check with QVL if you can find, if you can't find it, get the Ripjaws.

Yes an SSD is worth it even if a bit expensive in terms of GB/$.

>>62252760
Use an empty box you have lying around as a case or go dumpster diving to find one. Any case post 2000 should do. Or just shell out 10$ for one.

If you can try and save up for a 1600 it's fully worth it. My SO used my rig to run some Tensormeme for her Bachelor's. It took her about 3 hours to run a simulation on my rig vs about 12 on her laptop (i5 2000 something, a bit worse than the Pentium).
>>
>>62252780
If OP can wait a few months, RR may be a good choice.
>>
>>62252780
Why go for Intel at all then? He'd just waste 200ish ameribux for nothing. He either goes full Intel with Pentium + decent mobo and stalking fleabay or AMD with a shitty gpu.

OR he can wait for APU/Covfefe launch to see what happens then.

>>62252803
>>62251697
Forgot to mention OP, both AMD APUs and Intel CofeeLake are to be launched until the end of the year. Smartest move is to <<<JUST WAIT>>>
>>
>>62252688
>>62252803
Thank you so much for your time to make this list and all the following info.
I will save this among other advises i got in this thread and inspect it carefully.
This thread really helped me a lot to garsp a little bit of whats happening in hardware world today.
>>62252894
>>62252892
I can wait, I mean i have to wait regardless. The thing is I just started my inquiry so I can be up to date when I decide to buy it.
If you advise me to wait I can wait
>>
>>62252954
Np, OP. Happy to shill. Also, I'll insists again. Do not shell out more than 10-15$ for a case. You might even be able to talk to some people you know to give you one they have lying around.
Thread posts: 54
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.