[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

ITT: We argue and fanboy over companies that aren't AMD,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 3

File: images.jpg (12KB, 355x157px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
12KB, 355x157px
ITT: We argue and fanboy over companies that aren't AMD, Intel, Nvidia or ATI
>>
sun made some great things. their servers and workstations were rock solid. rip.
>>
>>62246703
Bump.
I have nothing but would be cool to hear of good technology
>>
>>62247692
ZALMAN BTFO HOW WILL THEY EVER RECOVER

That's kinda what I want itt
>>
>>62247435
not to forget software. sunos was great, java despite all the shit it gets it was awesome when it came out, solaris zones, zfs, nfs, etc

sun literally provided modern technology with a solid foundation in every area but ultimately failed because they didn't know how to market open source properly.

rip
>>
File: 1503233873540.png (8KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
1503233873540.png
8KB, 300x300px
>>62246703
i can't find any sun technology that's not good
>>
>>62247746
>zalman
>muh gaymen cumputa
>muh gaymen fan
>muh gaymen accessoirs

fuck off back to /v/ with you
>>
>>62247958
Java

Other than that, everything Sun made was bretty gud.
>>
>>62247958
I just picked some brand out of my ass dude. Wanna know why IBM is the GOAT
>>
>>62247969
ok now kiddo, what's bad about java. please keep it technical, im very curious about people having valid arguments about java
>>
>>62247985
The language is alright, going by the benchmark that many people still put up with C and Javascript.

The real problem with Java is that in the late 90's-early 2000s, the runtime never worked right. Unless you did a simple "Hello World" app, Java apps just wouldn't feel native in _any_ OS.
Either you used the shitty blue Java widgets or Swing/AWT/SWT which were kinda crap.

Oh, and we typically didn't have 128/256MB to spare for GC back then. Nowadays Android phones have 9000 TB of RAM, so it works alright.
>>
>>62247982
ibm never really was the same after they fucked themselves over with deploying their machines with windows.

they did some substantial research as well as some really great development like the barcode or modernizing flight terminals to be completely maintainable via computers
>>
>>62248032
I hear they were able to get a single bit of data on an atom and are making some 24 core CPU
>>
>>62247985
this, java is actually pretty good sispite the spiced curry memes
>>
>>62248027
swing and swt are both awesome. i tried gtk and qt and i found it horrible to work with. the concepts on both feel broken and unfinished and unnecessary inflexible.
>>
>>62248055
yeah and when's that gonna become relevant in modern technology? it's a nice poc, and until it is on the market it's nothing more than a fun and interesting project.

ibm necked almost everything that they built and now do consulting and research. their research is still interesting but doesn't produce as much valuable stuff as it did a long time ago.
ibm used to be a threat to the tech industry, now it tries to maintain the numbers on the stock market. i know so many ex-ibm guys that quit because the company tries to reduce costs in any possible way. they used to have a really great private pension system, they axed it and now treat employees like shit. google does what ibm did 60 years ago
>>
Ma Bell and Bell Labs. Modern life just wouldn't be possible without them.
>>
>>62248056
>hurr durr i just copy shit other people said like a dumb parrot

just end it, you know you will never add anything valuable to any community with your shit
>>
>>62248147
you are right, without bell labs and at&t modern operating systems would probably look a lot more different than we know it.
>>
>>62248199
>modern operating systems
Try modern technology itself.
>>
>>62248239
i think modern technology would have gone to where we are independent of their transistors or C. though unix itself and the idea of unix formed modern technology as we know it. being mostly open, providing the same fundamental functionalities, etc
>>
>>62248287
>unix, transistors, and c are their outstanding accomplishments
wew lad
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bell_Labs#Discoveries_and_developments
>>
>>62248381
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bell_Labs#Discoveries_and_developments
>going to list every single discovery because i need to remember them by heart.

wew lad go fuck yourself
>>
>>62248401
>ITT: We argue and fanboy over companies that aren't AMD, Intel, Nvidia or ATI
>>
IBM not giving up on the Power arch and continuing to move forward with OpenPOWER9 despite previous poor adoption in the face of X86's popularity
>>
File: larri_ehllison.jpg (47KB, 640x421px) Image search: [Google]
larri_ehllison.jpg
47KB, 640x421px
If your database isn't pic related then you need to question your choices in life.
>>
RIP Solaris. Why does everything Oracle touch get rekt?
>>
Reminder that oracle killed off solaris some days ago
>>
>>62251116
because oracle doesn't know anything about open source and they hate open source. look at their own list of open source projects and see what they have done with it or the developers that worked for them.

oracle only knows how to make money out of their famous database, being the first to introduce the concept of rational databases, they have kept their position ever since.

>>62251150
reminder oracle killed open office, they killed mysql (that's why every distro now goes for mariadb), they killed virtualbox, they killed solaris, they killed sparc, they are actively for years trying to kill android

oracle is never ever your friend, not even when it comes to databases.
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.