[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What do I need to study to get into emulation?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

File: Bzv_69GCYAINk1d.jpg (26KB, 600x455px) Image search: [Google]
Bzv_69GCYAINk1d.jpg
26KB, 600x455px
What do I need to study to get into emulation?
>>
>>62242015
Programming
>>
>>62242020
That's very vague.
>>
If it's a system that's never been emulated before--electrical engineering.

If it's a system that's been emulated--other people's documentation, for start. At some point you will want to run tests on the actual system, just to understand how the system truly works (because no documentation is perfect). Hence you need a way to run custom software on the system which may or may not be easy (depending on the system).

You should at least know assembly programming for that system and have experience debugging / reverse-engineering at the assembly level. Knowing some of theory behind computer architecture and integrated circuits will also help.
>>
>>62242038
so was your OP
>>
>>62242015
Emulating something like an Android Phone or a modern console is quite different to emulating something like the NES or an Atari, conceptually speaking.

A simple NES emulator is something a sophomore could do after a first course in machine languages (ie. assembly)
>>
Emuparadise
>>
>>62242015
assembly for really old hardware
semi modern hardware use C
>>
>>62242184
but i cant
>>
>>62242184
>A simple NES emulator is something a sophomore could do after a first course in machine languages
you're telling me i'd could learn to do that shit after just one course?

wow, sign me up
>>
>>62242289
>Emuparadise
they started removing all the Nintendo ROMs from that site
>>
>>62242655
>>62242684
You basically have to make a virtual RAM (an array) and map every assembly (well... actually machine code) instructions of whatever you're emulating into the same operation, but working on your virtual RAM. Your virtual CPU is just a while loop that execute the instruction in virtual_ram[program_counter].

Same shit goes for input and output.
It's not really easy because realistically the documentation is not precise enough, but conceptually speaking of not that hard either.
>>
>>62242015
http://problemkaputt.de/portar.htm

Have fun.
>>
>>62242542
C is just compiled assembly.
>>
>>62243141
JavaScript is just JITed assembly
>>
>>62243166
Yep.
And what you need to do if you want to emulate a java virtual machine?
He was implying you have to somehow emulate C instead of a CPU architecture to emulate modern systems.
>>
Wanting to emulate something like a tamagotchi or even one of those crappy LED games in C (which I barely know), what would I do? I'd have to read the documentation on the processor, but then what? I'm not sure what the first step is. Would I try to export the ROM off one of the devices and start by trying to get it to interpret that file?
>>
>>62243437
Learn what a CPU do, and try to imitate it with C, or even basic, or java etc..
If you're going for slow 70's CPUs, any language that can do at least a million of loops per second should do.
>>
>>62243114
what about things like syscalls?
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.