[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why should a normal person switch to Linux. It seems like all

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 105
Thread images: 7

File: 1503417895861.png (29KB, 741x568px) Image search: [Google]
1503417895861.png
29KB, 741x568px
Why should a normal person switch to Linux. It seems like all the reasons you guys go on about like botnets and service updates and being able to do shit from the terminal is all irrelevant for regular people. Convince me /g/. I want to do it but last time I just spent the longest time trying to get my fucking drivers to work. Windows is easy and works for 99% of shit people do.
>>
>Convince me /g/.

No
>>
>>62239985
There is no reason to switch to Linux.

/thread
>>
if it doesn't immediately work on your machine I wouldn't bother

some people will claim its great but those are the "werks on my machine" people that didn't have driver issues.

Ubuntu couldn't even install without errors coming up during installation on my machine

The UI and stuff is great when it works, even despite the terminal being required. Like compared to windows with it's 2 control panels everything is much better.

Unfortunately when it doesn't work, you basically have to fix it yourself and wade through autistic forums with replies from years ago. Only free if your time is free. From what I hear it's not really that power efficient either if you have a laptop. If you want a real alternative to Windows and don't care about muh free software get a Mac.
>>
>>62240084
This. Keep feeding the database. Microsoft needs you.
>>
>>62240151
>when it doesn't work, you basically have to fix it yourself and wade through autistic forums with replies from years ago
as opposed to when windows breaks and you have to wade through shitty forums full of nonwhites until you find three different cryptic fixes on microsofts site

>pm'd you the fix :)
>never mind i fixed it
>>
File: Windows-10-GodMode.png (557KB, 600x315px) Image search: [Google]
Windows-10-GodMode.png
557KB, 600x315px
>>62239985
lets get real for a moment. You install windows 10 in about 45 minutes and for most linuxes its about the same but remember. Biggest base linuxes are about 1 gigabytes or 2 while windows 10 can be more than 5 gigabytes of data. And what happens when you open them. On the linux there are about 2 functional buttons, 3 are nonfunctional and in those two buttons there are some pictures to play with. Maybe slide down or up. On windows though, you feel like a god. Its professional its fast, its all functional. You have a godlike user interface. The thing that the linux does not have. You have those two buttons in the linux, but you still search google for codes to write in terminal. Linux is free because its not worth a penny. Nobody would sell a paper without taking the money. Just not sure why people still buy android while windows phone does 10 times more. Trust me. When you work with windows you know some genius ground breaker dedicated himself to give you an operational os
>>
>windows: gaems
>linux: nogaems
simple
>>
Well a big one for me is that I can get a free as in freedom OS of my choosing that isn't backdoored, rather than getting some shifty bullshit windows iso off piratebay. Arch runs better than windows does on my hardware and I have more control over what I do with it, I like a lot of native linux apps that don't exist on windows without emulation like lftp, naut, kdeconnect and I don't have to stress about malware or even run a scanner because nobody targets linux with malicious scripts, return on investment is non-existent. Those are just a few of the reasons I like it, the MOST important is how comfy working in a terminal is, you can do fucking everything in the linux terminal, windows CMD is like terminals retarded little brother.
>>
windows 10 is unusable.
>>
>>62240187
People like this make me so fucking angry dude, when there's ONE thread with your problem from 6 years ago with the edited: "nvm, I worked it out :)" I always ALWAYS leave the instructions in retard-friendly format if I solve something myself.
>>
>convince me /g/.
I just use linux because I enjoy development and floating windows trigger me. The average joe is honestly not gaining anything by switching off the bat. I like having a sometimes frustrating, more intimate relationship with my computer. Consider it a hobby I guess. I suck big dick.
>>
>>62242161
Yeah I agree with you, the average joe shouldn't swap. Whenever friends use my pc they ask about it and how to make theirs the same, always tell them its not worth if you play games.
>>
>>62242201
I honestly still use win7 on my gaming rig, but 90% of the actual work I do is done on a thinkpad running a tiling window manager. Its very worth it to me because using windows with a mouse is just plain frustrating. Linux takes a certain amount of struggle to get up and running for most people but its totally worth it.Even if I didn't program at all I'd still prefer like debian or something with i3 over windows just due to comfort.
>>
>>62242257
Yep, I'd like to do the same thing and build a gaming pc with windows on it, but I use my desktop for most of the day and I fucking hate using windows, so I'm just going nogames for now. It's definitely a hobby project though, maintaining linux.
>>
>>62242274
dualboot?
>>
>>62239985
Whether they become power users or do mainly the same stuff, they'll be on a more secure system, they'll help marketshare of an objectively better OS, and slowly we can eradicate Windows from the market.
>>
>>62240151
>some people will claim its great but those are the "werks on my machine" people that didn't have driver issues.
Hard to argue with this I suppose, but I really have never had driver issues on any hardware I've come into contact with (excluding Windows stuff, obviously).
>>
>>62242284
I should, I just hate running windows in general. The games I play daily all have linux ports or run decently under wine anyway. It's fucking annoying having to reboot and swap OS if I want to play a game.
>>
>>62240151
I've had driver issues with ubuntu the justwerkz(tm) distro and then installed Arch with no such issues.
>>
>>62239985
a gnu/linux distro like ubuntu is almost perfect for normies but is lacking that ms office suite, you can use libre office but really it's kinda lame and if ur doing school work it's better to have ms office. there's ways to get it i am sure but i don't think a normie would do the steps necessary
>>
>>62242308
>they'll be on a more secure system
This isn't the reality whatsoever.
macOS is the already objectively better OS.
hmmmmmmmmmm I wonder why it isn't suggested more...
is it because you're all just third world poorfags ruining everything great about the internet?
>>
>>62242315
Most users are just dumb man. For linux to get popular someone is going to have to make something even closer to babby's first linux than ubuntu already is. The user experience just needs to be able to compete with stuff like osx out of the box
>>
>>62242344
non-free operating systems aren't really worth paying attention to
>>
>>62242345
I don't see a huge difference in usability between mac os and ubuntu. I guess I'd probably be able to write a small essay on it and learn a bit more if I used them side-by-side on two different machines for a day or two.
>>
>>62242345
>what is mint
Even my mum can use Mint, if they're too brainlet to use mint then there's no hope for them, they probably can't use windows either.
>>
>>62242365
>they probably can't use windows either.
This is a point that isn't brought up enough. I've fixed a lot of Windows computers for people. They don't know how to use ANY OS. Why bother putting them on shit if you're gonna have to come fix it no matter what?
>>
>>62242374
This. If the extent of their "use" of the OS is clicking the firefox/chrome icon and then a facebook bookmark it doesn't fucking matter what OS is on it, could be gentoo and it wouldn't make a difference.
>>
>>62240151
Ubuntu tells me it installs just fine with no errors in Live USB, but reboots back to Windows rather than GRUB2 every time. According to BIOS, Windows is the only existing operating system.

I'm so desperate to get away from Windows, but I still need it for a few things like Vidya, so I can't nuke it. It's gotten to the point where I caved and bought an M.2 SSD so I can boot from there instead. Hoping it works.
>>
>>62242354
It's free though.
No one cares about "free as in freedom". If you actually lived by that principle you wouldn't be posting on 4chan of all places.
But alas! Hypocrisy rarely wants to confront itself. :)
>>
>>62242344
>>62242365
>>62242374
Apple isn't liked often times because the company is scummy as shit. It still has users because its the only OS that makes things literally fucking brain dead. Your average user doesn't know how to sync their email between their apple devices. They don't know how to save a text document without losing it. OSX caters to retards the best. Every time I hear someone complain about other operating systems they don't realize how little most people care about computers.
>>
>>62242411
Sounds like you need to format your drive and write a new partition table friendo. Boot the live ubuntu USB, open 'gparted' find your partition and delete it completely, make a new ext4 partition then use the installer to put ubuntu there.
>>
File: 1480313620386.png (275KB, 465x450px) Image search: [Google]
1480313620386.png
275KB, 465x450px
>>62239985
if you have no reasons to switch then stay on windows, stupid frogposter.
>>
>>62242425
I think Android/iOS are the most brainlet friendly operating systems. Closely followed by OSX.
>>
>>62242433
Wait, I need to format the entire HDD, or just the partition containing Ubuntu?
>>
>>62242453
formatting the entire drive will format the windows partition as well, so no, dont do that if you want to keep it
>>
>>62242453
Format the entire HDD if you're making a switch, it sounds like you're installing Ubuntu to a dead partition and the BIOS is autoselecting windows. If you want to dualboot it's a bit more complicated, when you say it autoboots to windows have you tried going into your bios and seeing if you have the option to boot into Ubuntu after you install it? Pic related is gparted, it will look like this, right click and format the whole HDD to ext4 if you want windows gone.
>>
>>62242425
The company isn't actually scummy at all once you get past the slander.
Honestly it's the optimal balance between allowing beginners ease of use while keeping them protected, and allowing power users free roam.
The literal only downside is you can't willy nilly install it with support from apple on any hardware.
>>
>>62242493
Yeah, I think apple are pretty good as far as the company goes, they sell overpriced shit but you get what you pay for in terms of support, my Mum took a 4 year out of warranty iPhone that she dropped and broke the screen into the apple store and they replaced it no questions asked. Can't think of many companies that would do that.
>>
>>62242493
I'm actually pretty happy with apple as a company in terms of their privacy policies, (to the point where I'm considering switching to a used iPhone 6.) When I say they're scummy I mean they're overpriced as shit and use their power over the market to fuck progress
>>
Apple will keep getting away with their business practices until someone puts together a free alternative that actually fucking works. Something your grandmother could use. It feels like people who are actually capable of doing this take pride in their OS's having such a high barrier of entry though and thats fucked.
>>
>>62242545
Fuck it doesn't even have to be free, just an operating system that isn't restricted to hell for the sake of apple shareholders
>>
>>62242545
I dunno dude, I just don't think distros like Mint could get any easier to use, like what more could they do? It's set up exactly like windows, if your gran can't open a browser and type facebook.com there isn't much more hand-holding the OS could do.
>>
>try to sell me freedom

That's how idiot you sound
>>
>>62242473
That was my worry. I've deleted the volume containing Ubuntu and reinstalled over the unallocated space a couple times, but that didn't help either.
>>62242489
BIOS shows that Windows 10 is the only extant operating system on my HDD. I don't have much experience with Linux nor hard drive /boot issues in general, so I don't want to fuck with things too much and risk losing Windows 10 and having to buy a new one (the program that outputs a bootable .iso always crashes for me)
>>
>>62242573
Its not just about the operating system itself. The support and accessibility are important too. Can your granny make install media?
>>
>>62242510
Definitely running laps around others with customer service.
>>62242529
Right which links back to the trade off about being able to install on anything vs pre configured hardware. Diminishing that trade off through either opening things up or some other solution would go a long way but could also be a huge downfall.
They've been iffy with standards I feel. One hand they've been focused on the future by getting rid of flash, and on the other it's this refusal for modern web standards like webms.
>>
>>62242596
Maybe even a competitor in the field of pre configured hardware would go a long way. (Not counting chromebooks, I mean a full OS.) I feel like most windows users want a mac and can't afford it.
>>
>>62242594
Now you're talking about manufacturing though, very few distros have the connections/funding to ship laptops/pc's with their distro installed, the only one that got close was Ubuntu. Only big outfits like red hat would have the capabilities to do that and they don't give a shit about catering to your gran.

>>62242592
Ah you want to keep the win partition, I see, are you doing Ubuntu installers dual-boot option? Is it a laptop or desktop? Do you have 2 flashdrives? I'd make a win10 backup on one, then use the other to do a full format to Ubuntu, that way even if it fucks up you can just reinstall win10.
>>
>>62239985
For common user the good distro is linux mint.

But seriously people hate on this distro like hell but this one distro actually is the closest option for being common user friendly distro.

Well this is a first distro i met what contains tool called "Driver Manager" at start, normie user will click on it, then wait untill this tool loads list, then user ticks on "reccomended" and then clicks apply changes, and this makes all driver stuff for him, no terminal needed, and in most cases no obscure forums needeed.

Firewall? Linux mint has GUFW on board. Window what manages firewall.

And actually mint goes in one way... to be a normie friendly distro and so far it does.
>>
>>62242444
Maybe I just don't know what I'm missing
>>
>>62242627
Yeah +1 mint, I'd say Ubuntu is even kind of "hard" for normies compared to mint, the Ubuntu GUI is completely different/confusing if you're coming from windows as a brainlet. Mint is pretty much windows-linux edition as far as style goes.
>>
>>62242624
Yeah I think we're just in socioeconomic at this point and I know jack shit about that
>>
>>62242613
Yeah but that's an extremely fragile field. If anyone attempts to cross into that field (chromeOS excluded, it's obviously a killer in education), all it takes is for apple to pull a iphone 5C but with macbooks.
>>
>>62242624
>I see, are you doing Ubuntu installers dual-boot option?
Yes, but I've tried the manual installation option too, didn't work.
>Is it a laptop or desktop?
Laptop. Shipped with Win10.
>Do you have 2 flashdrives?
No, just the one with Ubuntu loaded.
>>
>>62242643
It's too late for Linux to gain reasonable marketshare with a generation that grew up on windows, if mint/canonical/whoever could strike a deal with the education departments in various countries along the lines of:

>We'll install a custom Mint OS with guaranteed compatibility on all 700 of your laptops and then support it for free for 5 years, this is better than the deal microsoft is offering.

then these kids grow up using the OS and being familiar with it, that's how it'd have to spread.
>>
>>62242668
>>62242643
>>
>>62242669
You could try a different distro potentially, are you set on Ubuntu/Ubuntu derivatives? Do you have any CDs? Burn win10 to one of them if so.
>>
>>62242699
I liked Ubuntu bc I heard it's babby's first Linux distro. It also seems to have the widest acceptance IMO, so I figured as fucked as it's been for me so far, it was probably the best I was gonna get as far as bugs go. That said, if you have a better solution, I'm all ears.
>>
>>62242731
Fedora has a pretty solid installer. I've tried it on ~3 machines so not the biggest sample size but the iso isn't huge and its instlaled without hitches. It's gnome3 by default as well so should be very similar to ubuntu for a newbie.
>>
>>62242731
Well, depending on your hardware it can be babby's first distro, it depends on how much time you have to learn/how good you are with instructions, distros that ship with newer kernels support more recent hardware, like Antergos which is based on Arch, Arch gets a lot of shit around here but the arch wiki is the most comprehensive source of info for any distro. I'd recommend it, currently use it myself. If you're going to use any distro you need to consider it a hobby and be ready to learn/fix shit on the go.

If you have some CDs burn win10 to one (you can use microsofts tool to keep your key I'm pretty sure) then download Antergos (https://antergos.com/) and give it a try.
>>
>>62242731
or Fedora like >>62242746 said, I'm personally just a big fan of Arch because it's worked with no problems on everything I've ever installed it on, from tablets, to laptops, to desktops.
>>
>>62242731
Just use what works. It may take some trial and error, but if you enjoy linux you won't stick with your current distro for long. You tend to develop a taste, hence why /g/ can sling shit about distros endlessly for all eternity. It does turn into a hobby. Get /something/ up and running and go from there.
>>
>>62242810
This guy is correct too. You likely won't stay with your first distro for any more than a month before you want to try something else. Get literally anything working and your foot is in the door. Linux is a hooby.
>>
>>62242345
Use Mint.
>>
>>62242634
If you care enough check it out, are you slow? Oh and use Linux Mint, it's good.
>>
>>62242731
Linux mint, just try it out.
>>
>>62242910
>>62242919
>>62242932
chill shill
>>
File: 1634564745668502.png (401KB, 601x601px) Image search: [Google]
1634564745668502.png
401KB, 601x601px
>Want to use Linux as my main OS
>Want to run Windows 10 in a VM for vidya and other windows software I need
>PCI pass through stuff is still autistic-level computing and over my head
>Dual booting is a fucking hassle

why does this have to be so complicated
>>
>>62242940
It works well what can I say
>>
>>62242943
Fuck VM, why not just use WINE? New versions work pretty good for most games desu.
>>
>>62242940
>shilling for a free software
>>
>>62242959
Maybe it's just bad luck, but I have never been able to get a single game to run on Wine without issues.
>>
File: Girls.jpg (77KB, 600x536px) Image search: [Google]
Girls.jpg
77KB, 600x536px
>>62242943
>he plays games that don't have linux ports
>>
I switched to MacOS. I get my terminal, plus I can play more video games than Linux.

But I miss the window managers.
>>
>>62242976
When was the last time you tried it? I've been running Witcher3(pretty recent) under Wine with 55FPS stable.
>>
>>62242983
Rip
>>
>>62242983
which video game can you play on mac that you can't play on linux?
>>
>>62242995
Probably some time last year, I don't remember the game specifically though. I wanted to play Age of Empires 4 when it released, but it seems it is going to be a W10 exclusive. I don't want to join the botnet though, I only wanted to run windows 10 in a VM for things like that. Will games like this eventually be compatible with Wine? Don't people have to cater wine specifically for each game to make sure it runs as intended?
>>
>>62243022
Oh for something like that you could probably run it in a VM, I thought you were referring to resource heavy games like crysis3 and shit. If windows can run it, whether it's exclusive or not then wine can run it, any popular game will have a wine port made for it, WINE is loading the windows file system/drivers to make it happen, it's basically like a VM except you're only emulating the parts you need to play the game.
>>
>>62243053
Well there may be resource heavy games that I will want to play as well. I guess I will give wine a shot, thanks anon.
>>
>>62243077
Check out WINE front ends that do all the work for you like Lutris.
>>
>>62239985
(((Windows))) is love, (((Windows))) is life.
>>
>they fell for the Ubuntu meme
>>
>>62242545
ElementaryOS
>>
>>62239985
>Why should a normal person switch to Linux
They shouldn't.
Normal people exist to feed the botnet and act as a meat shield between Linux users and corporate spying.
If guys like you stopped using Wangblow $ then the FOSS community would draw the ire of massive multinationals, so thanks for taking one for the team.
>>
>>62242943
Get another hard drive, install your distro as sole OS on that drive, and set your BIOS to boot from there first,
>>
>>62242332
Opposite experience for me. My Ubuntu install was painless but my arch install took fucking ages and even the antergos auto install took me a few hours due to an issue with my usb drive.
>>
if you really know what you're doing, keep using windows. linux is more for ppl who are concerned with security, but don't have much time to fine-tune windows to be ultra-secure. or people who have time and motivation to learn something new.

>convince me
wannacry

again, not really relevant if you know what you're doing
>>
I game and need to use MS Office for my university course, and I have a 1600x so stuck with the windows 10 botnet
>>
>>62239985
Reasons for normies:
>No forced reboots
>No lag from antivirus
>Free version upgrades (or is win11 going to be free too?)
>Less shit to infect your system, and less likely to be infected since you won't be downloading random executables from the web
>No ads inside software/os
>All your web shit like fagbook still works fine
>>
>>62239985
Linux mint has easy to use "Driver manager". You just open it, tick on "recommended" drivers and it does all driver job for you
>>
>>62239985
Ubuntu has come a long way, and its free. Also the fact that slow ass laptops with pentiums and celerons could use the performance gain
>>
File: IMG_20170701_115623470~01.jpg (908KB, 2100x2707px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170701_115623470~01.jpg
908KB, 2100x2707px
>>62239985
Normal people don't
But if you like to tinker around, and are a technology enthusiast, program, play around with embedded systems, Linux is the os for you. It's so versatile that it fits every need the user has, and those it doesn't, it can be made to
I've been Linux user for years. I started with windows as the majority of people, but somewhere in between I figured windows just couldn't cut it for my usage and requirements. So I switched over to Linux.

The versality of Linux is so great, look, I even managed to install a subsystem of it on my smartphone
>>
>>62242413
What do you mean? I'm using a pass if you're just referring to captchas
>>
>>62242413
>No one cares about "free as in freedom".
You are in the place on the Internet that probably cares most, aside from the fsf/gnu sites. You probably don't belong here if you can't understand how we feel.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3uUbTBSofo amelia airheart has been found
>>
>>62239985
Now that there's Windows 10 S was announced Loonix is dead.
>>
>>62242039
this was a great game
>>
>>62239985
Honestly? The only reason I use linux is because it runs faster on my machine, it hogs less memory, has less bloat, and uses less battery life.

If you don't have a need for linux, or you want to play games, or you do windows dev (like i do which is why i kept the dual boot) then don't get linux.

No-one's forcing you to do shit.
>>
https://freedompenguin.com/articles/opinion/windows-power-users-break-linux/
>>
>>62246126
> Windows and Mac people have a hard time wrapping their heads around that. They’re used to venting frustration at Microsoft and Apple. If they do that in a Linux forum, they will most likely get flamed. It’s important to understand that attacking Linux is like attacking the entire community.

Jesus christ linuxfags really are insufferable
>>
>>62247567
>fuck up something that is much less user friendly but much more powerful at the same time because of ignorance
>blame the OS instead of your own ignorance, and attempt to learn
Bravo
>>
>>62247764
You do realize you're just backing up my point?
Normies fuck up everything they touch, but at least with macos and windows they have something there to help them. With linux all we have are fags like you, utterly worthless failed abortions trying to act high and mighty because they changed the icon theme to paper.
>>
>>62247801
Mate I'm a kernel module dev, I probably have forgotten about Linux more than a majority of people will ever learn
The problem is the attitude people have towards linux. It's not like another OS that babies you, it's an OS that expects you to learn, grow up. Normies fail to realize this and end up posting hate threads on forums, blaming the OS, because that's what they're used to, when the OS doesn't work, it's the OSes fault, not theirs.
Now the forums can work in two ways, you can either ask about your problem, other members answer your questions, and everyone goes home happy. That or you can post a hate thread where you vent out your frustrations, so that other members can in turn get frustrated and a shitfest ensures
Thread posts: 105
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.