[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can we decide this once and for all? What's the best E2E

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 5

File: IMG_2873.png (26KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2873.png
26KB, 300x300px
Can we decide this once and for all? What's the best E2E messaging app?

Wire is more feature-filled and doesn't need a phone number but everybody talks about how they're just a bunch of corporate shills. They're FOSS though?
>>
the wire app is bloated shit with an ugly UI, the desktop client is even worse

Signal is nice and the audio compression is the best compared to both telegram and wire
>>
>>62219285
>ugly UI
I think it looks pretty good. I'm less concerned with aesthetics and more with security though.

I don't care what Signal does better if they're just going to hand over my phone number.
>>
File: Screenshot_20170721-200919.png (287KB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170721-200919.png
287KB, 1080x1920px
>>62219285
>Signal
>>
>>62219396
RIP
>>
>>62219396
It's open source. Those permissions are just for convienience (so that you can send people pictures, etc.). If there were a botnet baked in, you could find it in the source code. And then you could fork it into a version without the botnet.
>>
>>62219396
>not having privacy guard
>>
>>62219262
Telegram is as secure as Telegrams servers
Signal is as secure as your phone, you pick.
>>
>>62219262
Silence.

>Works 100% bugless on all versions of android above 2.0
>Strong end-to-end encryption for anyone else who has the app as well
>Beautiful material design
>Does its job, and does it well, no bullshit only what you need
>100% free open source software
>Privacy aware, no 3rd party connections to your SMS
>>
>>62219480
kys
>>
>>62219637
Not on iPhone.
You might not like it, but it's a large market share.
>>
>>62219682
iPhone isn't a legitimate platform. Why would you care about E2E when your screen in being recorded at all times?
>>
>>62219707
unless you're exclusively talking to other encryption nerds, you're going to have to give normal people an option too, compromised or not.
>>
>>62219682
Outside the US and a couple random countries in Europe (Switzerland, I think), android pretty much owns the entire market place.
>>
>>62219809
Unless you are communicating with someone who is also using encryption, it's not E2E it's end to unencrypted network to unencrypted phone. Silence works with regular SMS, and does this too, it keeps your regular sms encypted on your phone, but the line and the other end is insecure. The purpose of encryption is too add a layer of security to your data, if that data is not encrypted over the mobile network (which it has to not be in order for a normie to get your message) it's practically useless other than protecting anyone else who has access to your phone from reading your SMS. The other issue is that with stock android or iOS whatever you are doing is going to be tracked like fuck by either Google or Apple, so encryption is pointless, since they have the keys you typed, and the keys the other person typed. The only useful nature would be if you and another individual both have custom privacy aware roms, and you both are using an E2E application for your SMS communications
>>
>>62219262

Wire is the superior app. There are a few issues with it (most notably the notification issue that seems to plague android devices when I last used it).

Signal is a piece of shit that the dev refuses to add a option to remove the invite this user to signal banner.
>>
>>62219947
the fact that it seems to be on the same level as imessage is good enough for an EDC phone.
>>
>>62219285
>audio compression
how does signal utilize it
i thought it was just a sms app
>>
>>62220154
It's a standard minimal SMS app with E2E Encryption. Don't know what you mean by comparing it to iMessage. Apple isn't a viable platform for privacy, don't bother trying to add encryption on a phone that is being monitored 24/7.
>>
>>62220345
Because the FBI are technologically illiterate, is why.
>>
>>62220375
Then why encrypt at all?
>>
>>62220427
they've said in the past, they can get SMS just fine but they can't get at imessage.
>>
>>62220432
imessage is an Apple product; they store all that data on their private servers and sell it to anyone they want. SMS is over the network, if the other party doesn't have an E2E application for handling SMS, it's obtainable via your carrier, which is a simple sapena process. Even with both devices on E2E, the data you type is still recorded by the National Security Administration, Apple, and the Carrier network which can be used against you in a court of law.
>>
>>62220531
>sapena
holy shit
not to mention, you don't know the first thing about how Signal works
keys are generated on the device itself
>>
>>62220584
Subpoena* soz
Yes, I know, it works the same way as silence, which also generates keys on the device itself. Just because your data on your phone is encrypted, doesn't mean the carrier doesn't have your text and call history.
>>
>>62220649
it's encrypted to send, what the fuck
hiding who you're talking to will always require proxies.
>>
>>62220672
If it's encrypted to send, then the other device needs to know how to decrypt it. Unless it has an application which can decrypt said information, it would just look like garbage to the other device. To send to someone without a means of decrypting the message and for it to come out looking like a normal text, it has to be unencrypted over the network. Make sense?
>>
>>62220725
yes, both devices have their own keys.
>>
>>62220793
Right, so, you have a full E2E, where everybody is using a particular application to send encrypted messages. On the devices themselves, if they are iPhones what you typed is recorded, reguardless of what you send, regardless of which network you are on, regardless of the encryption that it goes through. It's typed and then each keypress goes to Apple, the NSA, and sometimes the carrier (AT&T, Verizon, Sprint, and T-Mobile all do this) Before it's ever encrypted, the keypresses themselves are recorded on Apple devices, that info can be subpoenaed.
>>
File: 1474713817814.png (233KB, 469x576px) Image search: [Google]
1474713817814.png
233KB, 469x576px
>>62220886
Don't be retarded. Don't use apple for privacy.
>>
File: 1503423920726.jpg (8KB, 283x178px) Image search: [Google]
1503423920726.jpg
8KB, 283x178px
riot.im
>>
>>62221010
nice local host pic
>>
>>62220886
There are levels of opsec. Don't be an idiot and you'll be fine 90% of the time with compromisable encryption.
>>
>>62221188
actually make that 99%, I don't think the NSA bothers with anything less than terrorism these days.
>>
Wickr.
>>
>>62219637
Just installed, how is this different than Signal? It's the exact same UI & since Signal is Open Source, they're probably using the same encryption (Whisper Push)
>>
File: why.png (357KB, 381x560px) Image search: [Google]
why.png
357KB, 381x560px
>>62219262
No, fuck off
>>
>>62219262
it doesnt matter what the best is if no one uses it

just use whatsapp like everyone else
>>
>>62219604
>Those permissions are just for convienience (
Sounds familiar
>>
>>62219262
E2E on a cellphone is a misnomer.

You need a librebooted or pre 2006 device with no firmware blobs and full source stack to do encryption with any certainty.
>>
>>62219262
Signal is nice if you want to have SMS-like instant messaging (and the UX feels like an upgraded version of SMS/MMS). It's great for that use case but there are a lot of use cases it's not good for. Group chats are fucking horrible, and the multiple device support is not baked in nicely.

Matrix is unironically pretty awesome. Riot is kind of immature though. And I don't think it saves the message history locally (so if you close your session you can't read old messages).
>>
>>62223856
It's a fork of Signal, from a while ago (back when they were called TextSecure) which allows the encryption to work over SMS. TextSecure used to have the same feature but they removed it because they felt that it didn't work very well, but now all E2E messages sent through Signal are routed through their servers and delivered by them -- so the really nice off-the-record feature of Signal no longer is useful (Signal can provide third-party evidence you sent the message).
>>
>>62226151
Your telecom can see the SMS messages you send.
Thread posts: 43
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.