[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>just got a job in a tech company as a developer >working

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: 1503534080750.jpg (54KB, 600x468px) Image search: [Google]
1503534080750.jpg
54KB, 600x468px
>just got a job in a tech company as a developer
>working on a project
>get asked to make changes to an open source so that company can include in the software we are developing and sell it as proprietary

This is illegal isn't it? Also fucking immoral. What do I do? I sure as hell am not going to do as they ask, I'll fucking refuse doing this. I might fired but fuck, at least I'll still be a good man in my eyes. How can I make them realize the immorality of it all
>>
>>62217077
It depends of the license.
BSD and MIT actually allow them to do that (with MIT you must mention the author of the open source project in the copyright)
>>
>>62217077
>This is illegal isn't it?
it is if its copyleft (any GPL flavor), it isn't if its permissive (BSD, MIT, Apache)

If its GPL, tell your manager you think that's illegal and refuse to do it. He'll either be afraid of legal risk and back down, or just get mad and have someone else do it. If he has someone else do it, snitch on them to the FSF/SFLC, and maybe the project they're taking.
>>
>>62217077
you don't know and yet you want to take actions based on what exactly? some bullshit reasons that you took out of your ass?

ask someone smart to read the license for you and tell you if you can do it legally
>>
>>62217077
Repost
>>
>>62217077
sometimes you have to fork a open source project so that you can make custom changes that are only relevant to your project and include it as a module. You are also responsible for taking care of that fork. It's not immoral as it is only a helper module not the whole fucking product.
>>
>>62217077
depends on the license how they want to include it.
If it's GPL and they tell you to not include it as a module, do it and inform http://gpl-violations.org/ after the product has been launched for about half a year.
NEVER try to talk to anyone about it, you'll only be mr-know-it-all and say bye to your job before the end of the month, especially if you've just been hired
>>
>>62217077
>>>62217077 (OP)
Report them to the FSF. Or better yet, ask them for a severance package that's out of this world, otherwise you'll snitch on them.
>>
>>62217077
My dog just died.
>>
Have fun getting blacklisted. Then you can make 10k a year working for GNU, making sure Stallman has plenty of red shirts and laptop neck straps on hand.
>>
>>62217077
Pic related might work if the dog runs fast enough
>>
Just do it then report the company to the fsf. Enjoy the folowing show
>>
>>62217077
Does your company have a legal department? I work for a pretty major Saas company and we actually have to be very careful about using open source in our core product and it can weaken our patent defenses. Use of open source in the core product has to go through an extensive review process.

Also open sourcing software we build internally is subject to a lot of scrutiny for the same reasons.
>>
It's not illegal, even if it's the gpl license. There are a few things you have to do to be correct, but it's not hard.

But even if you do things wrong it won't matter. No one enforces the GPL - the source author would have to pay a lawyer. The FSF doesn't do anything.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.