[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What do with old laptop?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 3

File: laptopzah.jpg (10KB, 275x233px) Image search: [Google]
laptopzah.jpg
10KB, 275x233px
I just recently fixed my laptop and managed to get the wifi working on it. woo hoo!

Thing is, it's old, shitty and i don't really know what to do with it (DON'T want to sell it)

>Pc is pic related.
HP Pavilion DV4000
1GB RAM
128 MB Graphic

How can i put it to good use /g/ ?
>>
>>62216460
give it to a recycler
>>
>>62216538
I wanna use it
>>
>>62216557
install linux
>>
>>62216560
It has windows xp sp3 on it, i may install linux if there is a linux only feature i could have fun with
>>
Retro Gaming Machine with Windows 98 SE
>>
I use my old Laptop for online banking. Just throw in a live CD like Knoppix.
>>
File: 5e0.png (119KB, 200x291px) Image search: [Google]
5e0.png
119KB, 200x291px
>>62216460
Install Linux Debian and use as home server, laptops are pretty power efficient. and you can prolly host a simple website
>>
>>62216460
That was my old laptop as well. Fantastic speakers.
>>
put linux on it

write hello world in C

take some screenshot of you browsing /g/

bitch about 3.5 mm audio jacks and removable batteries
>>
>>62217716
Never owned a server, what are the advantages of having one?

>>62217731
Yeah, i think so too, haven't checked tho
>>
>>62216460
put puppy linux on it and have fun.
Maybe use it for a retro emulation system. You could probably emulate all 8 bit systems perfectly fine. Get a usb controller and have fun
>>
>>62217739
>even the latest m*cbook has a 3.5mm audio jack. Though probably not for long. Faggots.
>>
I'll pay you $20 for it.
>>
>>62216460
i had the 17" version of this. in 2005 the screen broke and i sent it to HP. after about a week they called me that they can't fix ist and they are going to refund it.
>>
>>62216460
Paperweight.
>>
>>62216460
>1GB RAM
Wow.
>How can I put it to good use?
There's nothing you can do with it, in terms of modern computing. You can TRY to browse basic web sites, but with all the javascript and shit they hamfist into every site, I doubt you'll be able to do anything.

Best you can do is install Puppy Linux and use it for programming in a very very very lightweight text editor, like vim. That's the only way I can see you being productive with it.
>>
>>62217716
Why Debian? Why not Fedora?
>>
>>62216538
fpbp
>>
>>62218331
>redhat testbed

that's why.
>>
>>62218194
That isn't exactly true, this laptop i use as my main one has 1 ram and 256mb graphic, can play OSRS which is basicly the only thing i play, facebook youtube, google, and pretty much any website, i think.
>>
>>62216460
install xubuntu;
use it for anything you want
>>
>>62216460
install windows xp/98 and play games on it
>>
>>62216460
make it a DNS server. everyone should have their own DNS server.
>>
File: Master_Chief.png (2MB, 1490x984px) Image search: [Google]
Master_Chief.png
2MB, 1490x984px
>You have selected Microsoft Sam as the computer's default voice
>>
That's what I did with a t420 with broken screen
>Install Ubuntu server edition
>configure owncloud on it
>¿¿¿¿
>profit

Owncloud is basically like your own Google drive but with as much storage as your hard drive is big. With minimal autism you can configure it to work from outside of your home network in about 10 minutes too
>>
>>62218518

This anon said something similar>>62217716
What are the advantages of having a server?

And doesn't it mean it has to be turned on a big chunk of time if it's a server ?
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.