[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

As a Biometric Systems major and after recently starting to store

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2

File: password_strength[1].png (91KB, 740x601px) Image search: [Google]
password_strength[1].png
91KB, 740x601px
As a Biometric Systems major and after recently starting to store tons of different cryptocurrencies in all manner of different wallets and online exchanges recently, I realized I need to revamp my password security.

I guess we've all seen the XKCD meme about how having a long password is better than a short, complex password. How should I structure my password selections so that the following criteria are met:

1. Fairly long for >dat security, but consisting of actual dictionary words in order to keep it easy to remember/type in

2a. Have each password be different for each site for uniqueness,
2b. and have each respective site's password contain a mnemonic memory jogger corresponding to said site. For example, my gmail pw might be: "Longpasswordforjewmail" and Citi credit card pw be: "Walkingthroughthec1t1"

3. Standardized format to start (or end) each password with. So maybe I start gmail like "Longasspasswordforjewgle" and Citi with "Longasspasswordforc1t1"...obviously being a little moore individualized than something as vanilla as that.

I'm sure there's an easy and concise way to do this, I just want it to be simple and to not be way too autistic about it. Any suggestions?
>>
>>62216382
Literally just do as the comic says
Maybe even use a line from a poem or novel you have read
>>
>>62216382
Use a password manager.
>>
>>62216382
And use multi-factor auth everywhere you can
>>
>>62216382
http://world.std.com/~reinhold/diceware.html

This link explains how to make a guaranteed secure and easy to remember "master" password within a few minutes. In my opinion you should write it down for the first week of use and then burn it.

Use KeePass2 or another password manager to generate the rest of your passwords. The reason you want to generate them is a) to make them unique across websites, and b) to match whatever bullshit criteria they have for passwords on their database.

Then you just use your master password to access your password manager vault and copy paste your passwords where you need them.

Also, enable two-factor auth for critical accounts (bank, primary email, anything with access to your credit cards).
>>
>>62216382
The problem, of course, is that the ACTUAL way people lose passwords these days is either from over-the-shoulder snooping or from just giving it away via a keylogger or phishing attempt.

In the latter case, no amount of complexity will save you. In the first case, common words are way easier to read from watching someone's keystrokes. The real answer here is using 2-factor auth and avoiding password reuse.

DESU, a perfectly acceptable password would just be the fully qualified URL for whatever site you are going to. Who would guess "http://www.google.com" as being the password for your google account? It is complex, contains various character types, is long, and easily memorized.
>>
>>62216382
Run each qt client in a vm, only use cold storage for larger holdings, store the wallets (with password) inside encrypted .rar files (with a different password) with 100% recovery records on an airgapped machine. Store as few coins as possible on exchanges. If you have to because of ico/token/what ever, spread them out over multiple exchanges. Keep offsite backups of you wallets. Use passwords that are resistant to rainbow tables. Don't put the capital letter as the first character. Combine a password, a phrase and numbers, special characters etc. Invest in wanton btw, you're welcome.
>>
>>62217937
Walton*
>>
>>62216382
I use my nearest electronic device's serial as password, which is nearly impossible to crack
Check fucking mate h4xx0r
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.