[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Modems + Routers

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

File: asus-rtac5300-ddwrt-opt.jpg (51KB, 700x457px) Image search: [Google]
asus-rtac5300-ddwrt-opt.jpg
51KB, 700x457px
When did you come to the conclusion that
the surfboard combo your ISP leased to you
needed to go? What alternative worked out
best? I've heard the combos can have issues
with VPNs.

Inverted arachnoid tabletop citadel of EDGE not
necessarily related.
>>
>>62215570
I just tether my phone nowadays. LTE is fast enough for me and I have unlimited data plan.
>>
My ISP doesnt use modems, and they let you use any router you want, including pfsense..
>>
>>62215596
How does that work? I'm only familiar with the cable wall-jack hookup.
>>
>>62215596
This reminds me that I need to setup pfsense, now that my $12 network card arrived.
>>
File: 2017-05-10 01_54_27-.png (6KB, 305x97px) Image search: [Google]
2017-05-10 01_54_27-.png
6KB, 305x97px
>>62215749
Fiber network, authentication happens at the ONT which is attached to your property and owned by the ISP.

You just hook up ethernet from the ONT to the WAN port on your router. Boom you're done.
>>
>>62215775
So like every GPON ever.
That ONT is probably a full on RGW but defaults to passthrough.
>>
>>62215570
I still have a Surfboard modem. It works, I get the speeds I pay for with it so I can't complain. I do have a Linksys WRT router, I can't be bothered to check which one, that I use. I love that thing, it's awesome.
>>
Always used ISP routers. No problems. I only get ADSL though
>>
>>62215829
>That ONT is probably a full on RGW but defaults to passthrough.
It has no LAN ports, so I doubt it.
It's literally a big plastic box mounted on the exterior of the house with a single fiber cable going in and a Coax (for QAM) and ethernet for WAN. That's it.
>>
File: ScathisComparison.jpg (270KB, 1238x965px) Image search: [Google]
ScathisComparison.jpg
270KB, 1238x965px
>>62215570
>>
>>62215570
DON'T BUY ASUS.
THEY'RE COMPLETE SHIT.
>>
>>62215596
this
where i am, the option is to use the 8 port enterprise grade HP switch which is very reliable and connect your router to that or plug your own router directly with a SFP module
no retarded crappy boxes from the ISP beside that switch which is actually good and works
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.