[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Any one remember what it was like getting there first computer

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 3

File: Capture.jpg (32KB, 602x335px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.jpg
32KB, 602x335px
Any one remember what it was like getting there first computer back in the day
>>
I was probably 6 or 7 I got my first 'pc' in my room, I'm not sure if it was an amiga or atari. All I remember was that I had a parrot program where the parrot read what you typed, some breakout clone and a game where you played a top down Indiana Jones frog. It really started with 9 when I got a 386, I loved that thing. Always got the crap stuff when my dad had enough of it, which I was okay with.
>>
Started relatively late when I asked for a family computer at the beggining of 2004 when I was 17 which I used for some college typing projects and also getting into IL2 - Sturmovik. The computer was some Dell prebuild which was ok to use, I mean it did the job well enough. This is what started off my interest in computers.

The family had a computer back around the early 90s but I never held an interest in it back then. Dad bought a couple of history cd-roms on air battles that I liked going on but that was about it. Think it was running Windows 95
>>
Oh boy, Pentium processor, 512 MB of storage and 16 of RAM I think. My first computer that was my own.
My parents had a 486 before this that I used to do stuff on but they were very panicky that I would "break" it
>>
Got a white box Pentium 166 with Windows 95. I was super excited but I'm not sure why, all I did with it that day was doodle around in Paint and then look up model train kits on MSN.

Computers just seemed magical back then.
>>
Get mom to bring work computer home and type
Cd keen
Keen

Only a black screen. Apparently my mother brought the monochrome screen, beg to bring the color screen, eventually she does. Then my uncle gives me doom on a bunch of diskettes and everything changed. I was 7 at the time, windows 95 came out a little while after and I never went back to dos
>>
>>62211742
yeah dude i have a photo i recently scanned

my sister and i both loved that machine

iigs forever, still works great and with upgrades
>>
File: expert_ddplus_caixa.jpg (33KB, 400x291px) Image search: [Google]
expert_ddplus_caixa.jpg
33KB, 400x291px
It was absolutely glorious.
Those 5 disks of whooping 720KB each, loaded with 32KB pirate games, and also some books with even more games that i had to type to have.
Truly a magnificent machine.
And then i discovered that in some of my books, there were a bunch of games i could not play because they were written for the apple II or TK85 (a ZX81 clone), and i learned by bruteforce and guesswork how to port em to my machine and learned how to actually code this way.
>>
>>62212626
I wonder if modern one-task microcomputer with some sort of script language (basic, python, lua...) would be successful as machine for learnin how things works
>>
>>62211742
> 24MB Random Access Memory Memory
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.