[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is there a book like this for C++?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 6

Is there a book like this for C++?
>>
A C++ equivalent of this I mean
>>
>>62210023
iirc Stroustrup's C++ reference is like 6 million pages long
>>
>>62210023
No. C++ is best learned with Youtube tutorials.
>>
>>62210565
It pains me that this post was probably made unironically, and even if it wasn't that there are posts like this every day that are made sincerely on /g/
>>
>>62210023
A Tour of C++ is the closest you'll get. It basically gives you the rundown on what you need to know to actually use C++.
The C++ programming language I use more for reference than learning.
>>
>>62210023

C++ changed a lot over the years. If you plan to work on modern projects, you'll want a book that teaches the modern style.
>>
>>62210023
C++ is too big and covers too many styles to cover everything that K&R could.

This guy >>62210598 has it right.
>>
>>62210598
>>62212135
What about the two most commonly recommended books: C++ Primer and Accelerated C++?
>>
File: 1503937708014.jpg (1MB, 500x2855px) Image search: [Google]
1503937708014.jpg
1MB, 500x2855px
>>62210023
>>
>>62212175
Those are good if you need to learn C++ from scratch. The two books recommended there are mainly references.
>>
File: 5Fm5GuC.jpg (51KB, 860x860px) Image search: [Google]
5Fm5GuC.jpg
51KB, 860x860px
>>62212183
Is it better to learn C first then learn C++ or just learn C++?
>>
>>62212272
I think knowing basic C (K&R is good for that) would be an advantage.
>>
>>62212272
C and C++ are very different languages. While it may be true that C++ is a rough superset of C, modern C++ isn't written much like C.

My advice is to learn C first and get comfortable with it before you start learning C++. C is a complete and small language, so it shouldn't be too time consuming.
Don't fall into the trap of writing C++ the same as you write C or the same as you write Java, pay attention to the best practices for C++ specifically.
>>
>>62212305
I'm reading through that but I find the exercises at the end of the chapters particularly difficult to complete with the knowledge given in the same chapter, I might read through the whole book and try them again after.
>>
>>62212453
Yeah, I think that's normal. K&R's exercises are pretty difficult.
>>
File: 1492112056686.png (23KB, 307x259px) Image search: [Google]
1492112056686.png
23KB, 307x259px
>>62212527
Thanks, I was getting real demotivated every time I had to refer to the Internet for help
>>
>>62212656
As long as you actually try you can just look up solutions if you're stuck, and do your best to understand them, then redo the exercise on your own.
>>
>>62210023
I started with 2 books
K&r the c programming language
And the schildt c: the complete programming reference
Then when I moved to c++ i used
Stroustrups the c++ programming language (which is a reference and if you know the oop concepts it's what you will only need)

If you want to gitgud on ooo and generally programming you should read
Design patterns: elements of reusable oo s/w
And last but not least
Effective c++.

For those who want to dive more into project linking, object files e.t.c.
I'd recommend also the
Advanced linking and compiling c and c++
And that's all.
>>
File: PPP2frontNback.jpg (113KB, 1170x677px) Image search: [Google]
PPP2frontNback.jpg
113KB, 1170x677px
Ok so do i understand that this thread correctly, learning modern c++ is very important because it differs strongly from old c++.
And c is even more different.

So if i am naive in c style languages and want to learn powerful c++ i should just start by learning modern c++?

Is pic related any good for that task?
Why do those books have to have 1300 pages? I know arrays from other languages, why do i have to wait till chapter 18??
>>
>>62212893
>Ok so do i understand that this thread correctly, learning modern c++ is very important because it differs strongly from old c++.
>And c is even more different
Yep. C++11 is practically a new language. Most of what changed afterwards is minor. Anything older is trash.
>So if i am naive in c style languages and want to learn powerful c++ i should just start by learning modern c++?
Learn C first, if only for context.
>Why do those books have to have 1300 pages? I know arrays from other languages, why do i have to wait till chapter 18??
Arrays in C and C++ are weird.
>>
>>62212893
Learning modern c++ is for those that want to brag about "muh lamda functions" and other similar staff.
That's the reason why many projects avoid c++ and go for c or other languages.
If you want to learn modern c++ you'll have to read the news every couple of years to keep up with the shitload of features.
Personally I code in prior to c++11 but when possible, e.g. target compiler, I use the convinient enum class feature.
I believe the rest of the modern c++ features bloat your code and make it unreadable for most c++ devs.
...but that's just me, others overdo it with the new features...but their source code look worse than perl code.
>>
>>62212840
>Effective c++.
is that the oreilly one with a bird on the cover?
>>
>>62213089
Yes, you can pick whatever versiin of it, pre or post c++11
>>
>>62213110
I thought pre-11 c++ wasn't worth learning?
>>
>>62213119
Opinions differ I guess.
Personally I'd just disregard them. The single best reason to use C++ is RAII and prior to C++11's move semantics it was either broken or a waste.
>>
>>62213119
Depends on what you do.
If you want your code to be portable, light weight, use small footprint, can target embedded devices and other good staff... Then use pre c++11 features.
Imagine if I had to write some kernel or usersoace program in my work and I put some lambda expressions in there. The boss would come and hit me with a shovel on the head.
Imagine if you try to optimize c++ and open up the fsource code and see a flood of auto pointers.
First we had pointers... Which were replaced with references... And then auto pointers....what's next?
That's basically java with a different name.
>>
>>62213238
>First we had pointers... Which were replaced with references... And then auto pointers....what's next?
>That's basically java with a different name.
You really have no idea what the fuck you're talking about.
>>
I want to start writing on a genetic algorithm for a very specific scientific topic in my masters degree. My masters degree time starts in 6 weeks.
I have no time to read K&R before starting with c++

What book should i start now?
>>
>>62213355
I hope you have plenty of programming experience already. A Tour Of C++ covers everything you need to know in breadth but not depth.
>>
>>62210141
I almost killed myself when i saw it.
>>
>>62213380
I have only experience in fortran and a little bit of c#, but no fundamental just hacking around with existing code and introducing new features.

Does this book introduce those new concepts i will encounter by moving from my past experience to c++?
I think it will be much easier and faster in the long run to create, maintain and expand a great program with c++ instead of fortran
>>
>>62213652
The hacking around was meant for c#.
I have created code from the ground up in fortran.

I just dont have any knowledge of the arcane concepts introduced by oop and c++'s other (not yet known to myself) features
>>
To be completely honest, there's no point learning C++ now. Rust is a modern and better designed language and it's going to replace C++ going forward.
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.