[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why is audio equipment so fucking shit /g/?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 1

File: 1365292999904.gif (85KB, 540x786px) Image search: [Google]
1365292999904.gif
85KB, 540x786px
Why do speakers still use analog cables to transmit digital source audio data and constantly have to deal with noise and interference? Seriously, even at a 192kHz sampling rate (which is way overkill) at 32bit depth (which is also overkill) the overall bitrate is just 5.86Mbit/s. Even USB 1.1 cables could transmit that. And at normal encoding rates of 24bits@48kHz, the resulting bitrate of 1.1Mb/s could be done by USB 1.0. We don't transmit video data with composite wires anymore so what the fuck is the hold up with audio?
>>
There is literally no reason why we haven't all switched to optic cables. It would literally be less components to make a speaker cause you wouldn't need a DAC.

Wtf companies.
>>
Who fucking cares? I have moderate tinnitus that doesn't go away.
>>
>>62209457
Because 24bit/196khz is nothing but snake oil.

You fell for the audiophile meme.
>>
>>62209457
It's called the analog hole and we're keeping it.
>>
>>62209457
if you're getting noise you're doing it wrong
not even my aftermarket car audio has interferences issues

wonder what a usb cable rated for several hundred watts would look like
>>
>>62209496
I wish I knew that hearing damage was permanent when I was a teenager.

I had no clue that listening to music too loud could permanently damage your hearing until my early/mid twenties. Now that I know, I always wear earplugs to loud events/concerts and keep my music to low-medium levels.

It didn't help at all that literally every adult around me was a grade A idiot who thought you could just "man up" through loud noise. I've got tinnitus now, but thank god I started paying attention to this shit when I did. All those 'adults' telling me my hearing would be fine need hearing aids and have to be yelled at during conversation.
>>
>>62211065
>I had no clue that listening to music too loud could permanently damage your hearing until my early/mid twenties

how many times did your mother drop you on your head?
>>
>>62209457
>analog cable

wtf am I reading. Dude, it's a fucking cable. At audio frequencies it's not gonna matter what cable you use. It will have absolutely zero effect on the audio.

What kind of cables you use only matters when you start getting into RF and microwave stuff, 3-300GHz. Then cables have a major impact and companies will spends thousands of dollars on cables and connectors that minimize signal losses and reflections.
>>
>not using a 7.1 setup with optic cable
>>
So you want to put the DAC in the speaker or what?
>>
>>62211092
>what is emi
>what are ground loops
>>
>>62211135
Exactly.
>>
>>62209457
>analog cables
You seem like a smart fellow.
>>
>>62209457

BECAUSE ELECTRICITY AND MAGNETS IN WOODED BOXES AND SHIT.
>>
>>62211419
>emi
lol, do you have your amp right next to a switched-mode power supply?
Try shielded cables, a common mode choke, low pass filters on the device input, or in the case of 50/60Hz hum a notch filter.

>ground loops
Nothing to do with your "analog cable" and entirely to do with your equipment. Use an isolation transformer to decouple your circuit from ground as an easy fix to the problem or try to source the problem like a man and figure out a way to eliminate the loop entirely.
>>
>>62211449
t. Apple
>>
>>62211729
>lol, do you have your amp right next to a switched-mode power supply?

Power supplies are at the bottom left of ATX cases
Sound stuff is at the bottom left of ATX motherboards
>>
>>62211729
>Use an isolation transformer

Who putts isolation transformers on all their shit?
>>
>>62211845
>motherboard audio
TOP PLEB

And even still you shouldn't be getting emi. There should be shielding and interference suppression unless you have some garbage tier brand like Diablotek and frankly then you have bigger problems.

>>62211863
It's an easy way to get rid of a ground loop. If you don't have a ground loop don't add it.
>>
>>62211845
They do not generate big enough fields to have audible effects
>>
>>62211065
Wish earplugs do you recommend?
>>
>>62209485
>cause you wouldn't need a DAC.
You'd need one in the speaker.
You'd also need to provide power to the speaker.
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.