[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Tell me what sucks the most about UNIX-like OSes

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

File: IMG_20170808_123352_355.jpg (65KB, 599x565px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170808_123352_355.jpg
65KB, 599x565px
Tell me what sucks the most about UNIX-like OSes
>>
the users
>>
File: ottawa.jpg (103KB, 1080x1080px) Image search: [Google]
ottawa.jpg
103KB, 1080x1080px
>>62202395
>>
File: game_over.jpg (74KB, 650x433px) Image search: [Google]
game_over.jpg
74KB, 650x433px
Desktop environments and video/graphics editing tools.

For me Win7 have the all time best user interface. And Gimp/Blender duo will never be as good as photoshop/3ds max.
>>
>>62202440
I second the desktop environments. Could be much better
>>
>>62202390

I was always bothered by the fact that everything in UNIX revolves around streaming data through stdin, sdout, and stderr. Streaming bytes and text around all day sometimes isn't the most practical or efficient way to do it
>>
>>62202390

I have wondered about the command line / shell where white-space is traditionally used to separate fields in streams of input leading to all sorts of problems / security issues in shell scripts.

Why has nobody just picked another non-printable ascii character to demarcate fields? There are characters in the ascii table with names that suggest that they should be used for this.
>>
>>62202653
>>>62202390 (OP)
>
>I have wondered about the command line / shell where white-space is traditionally used to separate fields in streams of input leading to all sorts of problems / security issues in shell scripts.
>
>Why has nobody just picked another non-printable ascii character to demarcate fields? There are characters in the ascii table with names that suggest that they should be used for this.

+1
>>
>>62202653
Isn't that a problem with all whitespace characters?
>>
>>62202390
Everything with the word "graphics"
>>
>>62202766
https://www.dwheeler.com/essays/filenames-in-shell.html
>>
Personally: dependency hell.

Especially when you want something that ISNT in a package.
>>
>>62202551
Are you the powershell dev who had the idea to send C# objects through pipes instead of plain text? Because that's one of the stupidest decisions ever made.
>>
>>62203212
That sounds interesting actually. Source?
>>
>>62203289
https://www.johndcook.com/blog/2009/06/09/comparing-the-unix-and-powershell-pipelines/
>>
>>62202390
ioctl
>>
>>62202653
Why would using another character other than whitespace fix this? Surely the same issues would still exist just with a different character that causes them?
>>
>>62203212
I actually prefer Unix and Linux. But it's not perfect and I'm here sort of fishing for great ideas on how to make a better OS
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.