[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Far Away WiFi

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 2

File: nalleyscantennabig.jpg (45KB, 600x413px) Image search: [Google]
nalleyscantennabig.jpg
45KB, 600x413px
There's a cafe four or five blocks away from me. If I built one of these cantenna things, could I connect to the internet without much trouble? What are the odds that it would be easily detectable that someone keeps connecting to them from far away?
>>
oh look its one of these
a thread died for this shit
>>
>>62200811
Why didn't you just search this up? It's very well documented.
A TL;DR:
>extremely high ms
>detectable, but only for those searching for it
>>
>>62200811
Wouldn't you have to go to the cafe, and install a cantenna for them to point at your cantenna?
>>
File: woktenna.jpg (48KB, 620x465px) Image search: [Google]
woktenna.jpg
48KB, 620x465px
>>62200811
>If I built one of these cantenna things, could I connect to the internet without much trouble?
The cantenna is the transmitter only
>>62200970
>Wouldn't you have to go to the cafe, and install a cantenna for them to point at your cantenna?
that would be ideal, but I doubt that they'd go for it.
What he needs is a receiving antenna in addition to his transmit cantenna.

Your typical multi antenna router only uses one antenna for transmitting, the other one is for receiving.

So, he'd probably need a woktenna in addition to his cantenna.
>>
>>62201026 That makes a lot more sense. I was researching it but it wasn't very clear to me how it actually worked.
>>
What's a good DD-WRT-capable router with one receiving and one transmitting external, detachable antenna?
You don't even have to tell me, just tell me where to find it because it's really hard to research things that specific for me. What am I doing wrong?
>>
>>62200811
the 2.4ghz is omnidirectional regardless of what type of antenna you have so he will need a big ass good router
>>
I don't understand how something is always omnidirectional regardless of the type of antenna.
>>
Is it illegal to put a meshnet across my neighborhood?
>>
>>62201026
>woktenna
can't stop laughing
>>
>>62201638
Changing your antenna is not going to modify the router's microwave's propagation, you'd have to change the router's antenna.
>>
>>62201026

>The cantenna is the transmitter only

The absolute state of /g/.
>>
>>62201716
Of course not.
>>
>>62201716
>>62201803
>Of course not.

Maybe I should clarify. I want a mesh network, not to like give everyone internet, but as a means of data on my local area. So for example each node will have a lithium battery, solar panel, radio, raspberry pi and then a system of sensors, so say video, audio, etc.
>>
>>62201829
As long as you're using frequencies you can legally use I don't see why there'd be an issue.
>>
>>62201780
This
>>
>>62201026
>So, he'd probably need a woktenna in addition to his cantenna.
I can just imagine living next to the guy with cans, and woks littered around his yard.
>>
>>62203510
>one can and one wok purposely placed
>littered around the yard
>>
>>62201853
You'd be putting these nodes on other people's and possibly government/public property.
I don't know if this would be considered any more than littering though.
To play it safest, getting permission everywhere you want to place a node would be smart, but it's not like they'll put the time into finding who you are unless it becomes a huge pizza shop or something.
Regardless, I'd imagine there are ways of interpreting all kinds of weird laws that could get you in a lot of trouble if they cared, especially if you're attaching to other local networks without their permission (and no, not being password protected doesn't mean you have permission to connect).
>>
>>62203616
>no, not being password protected doesn't mean you have permission to connect
It does in the US if you can access the signal on your property.
>>
>>62203575
It starts with just one can, and then just adding one wok, later you find a few sattelite dishes, and hubcabs. Now crazy wifi guy has a yard littered with functional trash instead of just paying for service.
>>
>>62203575
Nigger want to make a mesh network. Try doing that with only one can, and not enough money to pay for the internet in the first place.
>>
>>62203650
good luck with that in court
>the door wasn't locked, so of course i had permission to come in
>>
>>62200811
It depends on whether you have line of sight with the cafe. If you can't see the cafe from your house, then you don't have a chance. Even foliage in the way can make it difficult to get a signal.

>> detectable
As long as you aren't building a huge satellite dish pointed at the cafe and that the people running the cafe aren't looking at network traffic, not very.

>> cantenna
Is a meme, get yourself a large cheap yagi from one of the chinese websites

>>62201772
No you don't need to change the router's antenna. All you need is a big directional antenna. A bigger antenna means you pick up more of the disperse omnidirectional radiation of the router.
>>
>>62203650
Wrong. If someone sets up a server or wifi without a password it is illegal to connect to it without permission. That is solved case law and you can go to jail over it.
>>
>>62203650
source?
>>
>>62203707
OP here- I'm not the mesh network guy.
>>
>>62204015
>No you don't need to change the router's antenna
You're misunderstanding what I said. I'm not saying the router will need a directional antenna, I'm saying that unless you change the router's antenna the router will still be broadcasting omnidirectionally.
>>
>>62204216
With that logic it's illegal for me to make a HTTP request to 4chan without their prior permission.
>>
>>62200970
This.

You need directional antennas on BOTH sides to be effective.
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.