[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 350
Thread images: 34

File: 1388450692620.jpg (279KB, 950x800px) Image search: [Google]
1388450692620.jpg
279KB, 950x800px
Previous: >>62182251

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources:
Your friendly neighborhood search engine.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ help %command%
$ %command% -h
$ %command% --help

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
https://wiki.archlinux.org
https://wiki.gentoo.org

/g/'s Wiki on GNU/Linux:
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux

>What are some cool programs?
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
https://directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page

>What are some cool terminal commands?
http://www.commandlinefu.com/
http://bropages.org/

>Where can I learn the command line?
http://mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
http://www.grymoire.com/Unix/

>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html

>How to break out of the botnet?
https://prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: >>>/t/769497
/t/'s GNU/Linux Videos: >>>/t/713097

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
http://fglt.nl && https://p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy
>>
Copying my chromium profile from my backup location(which i was running it on while i was restoring data) no longer works.It presents this error message.I checked for any lock files in the profile, and there are none.However if i point via command line to my backup profile, it works as expected.How do i restore my profile? There are no zombie or background chromium processes.

Failed to create a ProcessSinzgleton for your profile directory. This means that running multiple instances would start multiple browser processes rather than opening a new window in the existing process. Aborting now to avoid profile corruption.
>>
>>62200641
the amount of time spent asking here could have just re-setup a new profile by now
>>
File: 1488930272831.jpg (26KB, 534x401px) Image search: [Google]
1488930272831.jpg
26KB, 534x401px
>>62200641
>using chromium
>>
File: blender-socket.png (53KB, 1280x400px) Image search: [Google]
blender-socket.png
53KB, 1280x400px
Since this is dedicated FOSS thread i want to thank everyone contributing to blender.
>>
>>62200654
There is nothing wrong with my profile.
I am using it right now, from my backup drive.
If i copy(cp or rsync) the profile to my regular drive, it gives the above error.
>>
FUCK YOU CANONICAL
>>
Considering Debian/Ubuntu's newer install sizes are 1.5+ gigs of space even without a DE and generally take 30+ minutes to install, what distro should I get instead to quickly test stuff in VMs? Only requirement is an install size under 1GB that takes less than 20 minutes to install since they are disposable either way.
>>
>>62200761
alpine
>>
>>62200641
install gentoo
>>
>>62200761
Anything but Alpine.
>>
>>62200761
just do 1 ubuntu install, make snapshots of it.
>>
Neo-/g/ won't recognize what OP posted
>>
>>62200761
TinyCore. It's just 10mb. ~ 100 with full DE.
>>
>>62200801
haha wow why don't you enlighten us plebians if you're this much superior xD
>>
>>62200610
I want to suck on Stallman's 12 inch cock
>>
Funtoo or Gentoo?
>>
File: 1480529481214.jpg (77KB, 455x640px) Image search: [Google]
1480529481214.jpg
77KB, 455x640px
>>62200610
Holo likes apples. She's clearly a macfag.
>>
>>62200872
stop this
read about the differences in gentoo/funtoo and decide by yourself
>>
File: konqi and katie.png (191KB, 736x534px) Image search: [Google]
konqi and katie.png
191KB, 736x534px
Is it possible to hook up a Wii U Pro Controller to a GNU/Linux machine and use it to play Steam and emulator games? What about the Game Cube Controller adapter the Wii U also uses?
>>
>>62200872
git or rsync?
>>
not sure if this is the right place to ask but whats the difference between coreboot and libreboot and whats the most lightweight DE to run with debian? using an x60 so I wanna keep my 4chan machine nice and light
>>
>>62200943
use LXDE or just customise openbox for light de
>>
>>62200907
If you have working Bluetooth and the pro controller is still using the same tech as the old Wiimotes, then it should be possible. Never tried it though, so ymmv.
>>
Are there any issues with running touchscreen devices on gnu/linux? are there distros that support it?
I had ubuntu on my old laptop, but i want to try something new(could even use it), but my main reason for wanting the switch is speed/security.
I have a dell convertible laptop on which i want to install it.
Will i run into problems with a touchscreen?
>>
>>62200991
boot the computing using an ubuntu liveCD and test your hardware
>>
>tfw VMWare is actually good enough to play some games

What the fuck? Why didn't anyone tell me this before?
>>
File: C-QtKN-UIAAiAuE.jpg (110KB, 960x1200px) Image search: [Google]
C-QtKN-UIAAiAuE.jpg
110KB, 960x1200px
What license do I use for my dotfiles?
Is GPLv3 fine?
>>
>>62201432
WTFPL
>>
>If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following
>Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux
Alri what could i possibly miss as a CS student if i use GNU/Linux only?
>>
>>62201432
AGPL
>>
>>62201506
this
>>
>>62200828
Hit close to home, didn't I?
>>
>>62201588
As a CS student? Nothing comes to mind besides video games, if you are into that.
>>
>>62200907
I'd just like to interject for a moment. You appear to be using an element from this image in your post: >>62158182
You may have done this accidentally, but you've violated the terms of its copyright license. This is a serious offense and I hope you take it as seriously as it deserves.
Not to say that you're not allowed to create derived works from this image, you are, but this picture is released under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International license. Therefor, you are free:

to share - to copy, distribute and transmit the work;
to remix - to adapt the work;

Under the following conditions:

attribution - You must attribute the work in the manner specified by the author or licensor (but not in any way that suggests that they endorse you or your use of the work).
share alike - If you alter, transform, or build upon this work, you may distribute the resulting work only under the same or similar license to this one.

In this case, the attribution requirement is resolved simply by including the following in your post:

Line art CC BY-SA anonymous (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0)
>>62156016
Color CC BY-SA Xx_ToastMaster_xX
>>62158182
Konqi and Katie design CC BY-SA Tyson Tan
https://community.kde.org/Promo/Material/Mascots

Now that you have read this, I hope you have a better understanding of your rights and obligations when remixing and sharing this work. They will let you edit, now be nice and credit~
>>
>>62200943
coreboot/libreboot is like linux/linux-libre
one includes nonfree code, the latter doesn't
>>
>>62201203
>not using qemu
>>
>>62201432
GPLv3+
>>
It's not even a fight between what distro is better, it's a fight between what version of Debian is better. I'm already thinking of moving to testing because some packages I really like have some good updates, like neovim and postgresql.

Anyone know if we'll ever see LXD in Debian? Is LXC "enough" to do some container work for development?
>>
>>62200610
installing fedora brehs
>>
>>62202400
enjoy ur redhat
>>
>>62202449
what's wrong with it?
>>
just installed lxde and void but can't find network manager, anyone know where to find it?
it's not in session settings
>>
https://pastebin.com/URSF87LH

The top key was made with ssh in Termux, does it look legit? Looks kinda short and weak to me. I don't know if ed25519 is okay.
>>
File: thinkinghand.jpg (19KB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
thinkinghand.jpg
19KB, 480x480px
I have a weird issue with KDE.

The leftmost 1-pixel-border of the screen doesn't respond to clicks. If I have a window focused over full-screened Chrome for example, if I move the mouse all the way to the left and click anywhere on that border it won't refocus Chrome - but move it 1 pixel to the right and that does the trick.

Any easy way to turn this off?
>>
File: linuxtablet.jpg (23KB, 500x358px) Image search: [Google]
linuxtablet.jpg
23KB, 500x358px
What distro and/or DE do you recommend for a 2-in-1 tablet? I already run Arch on my desktop, but I probably want something simpler for the tablet since I won't be using or updating it as often.

Is Gnome my only option for a touch-friendly DE? I've heard of Plasma Mobile but I don't know what kind of state that's in, or if it's even for tablets instead of just phones.

Is there any good distro designed for tablets?
>>
>>62201506
>>62202581
It's fine. Ed25519 is different from RSA, makes smaller keys. If openssh generated the key, it's legit. It doesn't make "fake keys." You might have trouble using it some places, as its only implemented in more recent versions of ssh programs, but if it's supported I personally prefer it or ECDSA to RSA.
>>
>>62202815
Dont use that pixel, its broken
>>
Does any one recommend a music player that supports Google Play Music?

I only know of Harmony but it switched to privative model
>>
Stallman has been saying " im right, you guys just dont know it yet, but one day you will know it and then you will look to me as a master", for 30 years now,when will we "know it"?
>>
>>62203493
Everybody has long realized he's been right all along except for (You).
>>
>>62203550
How so?
>>
Which music player do you have installed? Also, which music player can be the most customized?
>>
>>62203642
mpd + sonata
>>
>>62203642
rhythmbox because it just do the job perfectly.
I also got ncmpcpp, but do not use it currently.

>>62203562
how new are you ?
search
stallman reason not to use
in any search engine and read its blog
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_surveillance_disclosures_(2013%E2%80%93present)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vault_7
>>
>>62202827
Good question.
>>
>>62203728
That's not a reason
>>
>>62203696
>>62203728
Thanks. I'll go with ncmpcpp for now.
>>
>watch the trailer of Mr.Robot
>see this
>use -q for quiet
>it isn't quiet

Why they do this ? What would cost them to actually record an actual linux and not do a such a mistake ?
>>
File: mr-robot-q.png (550KB, 1265x536px) Image search: [Google]
mr-robot-q.png
550KB, 1265x536px
>>62203927
forgot picture
>>
>>62203941
Do you blame NCIS when they have data lookup within seconds instead of the real hours you have to search the government databases?

Bet you're great at parties
>>
>>62204107
Funny, I'm pretty sure we do blame them every single god damn time. The entertainment industry doesn't give a fuck about being accurate and will portray whatever they want. There's no use getting butthurt over it though. Just look the other way and die a little inside every single time Hollywood makes a factual error.
>>
>>62204162
So you want one episode to literally last 6 hours while they sit there and do nothing while waiting for a dns match or a fingerprint match?
>>
>>62200610
guys, wine devs fixed mgq

Bugs fixed in 2.16 (total 19):
43510 Monster Girl Quest: crashes while playing
>>
What is objectively best GNU/Linux font?
>>
>>62204231
terminal:inconsolataZ
Everything else:Roboto
Kek: Comic Neue
>>
>>62204182
I was referring to factual errors rather than things being done rather quickly but in that case I suppose it wouldn't hurt to fade to black with a visible change on a clock in the background (if there is one) to denote that time has passed.
>>
>>62204291
You're just retarded and probly have autism if this bothers you so much, its entertainment, you watch it for enjoyment.
>>
>>62204254
Fira Code and Fira Sans
>>
>>62204308
It doesn't bother me at all, if it sounds like a give two shits I really don't.
>>
>>62204324
Yet you keep posting
>>
I'm trying to install Guix SD but I'm stuck in a Grub error, "failed to get canonical path of 'none'" Any clue of what this means?
>>
File: James May with a Cigarette.jpg (10KB, 222x203px) Image search: [Google]
James May with a Cigarette.jpg
10KB, 222x203px
What OS should I use for my normie parents? I finally talked them into hopping on Linux but I am not sure what distro is good for people without autism anymore. Mint? Mate? Vanilla Ubuntu?
>>
I'm using KDE on Fedora 26. The Steam window won't resize below some certain height and width and it's fucking with my setup.

How do I teach this pos a lesson?
>>
I need help with X. Right-clicking brings up the application list, how do I edit that list?
>>
>>62200872
gentoo, definitely.
Funtoo is mostly dead.
>>
>>62204906
>Steam
>>
>>62200610
Has anyone here installed Windows and Linux as a dual-boot? How was it?
>>
File: cute anime pic 0001.png (25KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
cute anime pic 0001.png
25KB, 300x300px
>>62204934
>Windows
>ever
>>
>>62204929
I know, I know. I'm growing my drm-free collection, but there's still some limitations.

>>62204934
It was nice. Can you be more specific?
>>
File: 56806287.png (19KB, 180x197px) Image search: [Google]
56806287.png
19KB, 180x197px
>>62204934
Works great for me. I install like 1 program on Linux every day. Slowly learning and adapting. This thread was very helpful and friendly!
>>
>>62204946
>I know, I know. I'm growing my drm-free collection, but there's still some limitations.
I feel you there, the big one for me is how much I've already spent in the steam store.
>>
File: drive.png (73KB, 1454x780px) Image search: [Google]
drive.png
73KB, 1454x780px
noob question

does this mean that where ubuntu installed I only have 26GB for my home folder?

The other drive has windows on it. I need to keep dual boot incase work asks me to do something I need windows for but I'd prefer to have more space for Linux.

Can I increase the partition size without losing everything I set up so far?
>>
>>62204979
I hope GOG eventually replaces it. Check GOG Connect. It gives you games you have on steam directly on GOG. It's limited to a few games only, but it might surprise you.
>>
>>62204934
Pain in the ass on Arch, finally got it working-ish, switched to Win 7/Debian dual boot, a kit easier, booted into Debian, haven't booted into Windows since and that was about 6 months ago now.

tldr: wouldn't waste time on that pointless exercise again/10
>>
>>62205020
That's what it looks like. You can take some of the free space from the windows partition though if you think you'll need it. Most Linux partition utilities are pretty good at resizing partitions without corrupting your data.
>>
>>62204182
It wouldn't kill them to work it into the scripts. You don't have to have the camera roll for 6 hours on the screen, you can just cut and have the actors act like it took 6 hours.

How you couldn't piece this together yourself actually kind of amazes me.
>>
>>62204920
How do I install from usb?
>>
>>62205024
Thanks for the heads up, last time I looked at GoG's service they didn't have that kind of integration yet.
>>
>>62204917
pls respond
>>
>>62205074
Because doing that multiple times EVERY episode would look stupid.
>>
>>62205020
Thats 26GB for your OS and programs. You dont have to store your files there. You can just mount your other partitions.
>>
>>62204934
I do, but the grub loader doesn't actually work so I have to manually select my boot drive from my bios.

This adds about 20 seconds, but I only boot into windows maybe 2-3 times a week to play titanfall and never any other time, so it works out for me. I've decided I won't touch any new games that don't come with a linux port. Makes it easier to run linux when you simply don't use non-linux software.

Only things I really miss are mspaint and irfanview desu
Also libre office is total trash compared to excel.
>>
>>62205113
No it wouldn't. It would build up an expectation with the audience - lookups etc. are not something to be done willy nilly. It takes time and effort.

The writers are simply too lazy and stupid to integrate the reality of computer software and use into their shitty TV dramas.
>>
>>62205070
>>62205118
Thanks. If I set up another partition would I be able to link my home folder to it? or could I extend the ubuntu one?
>>
>>62205188
You can "connect" your partitions to almost any folder you want.
>>
>>62205187
It would look like shit on camera.
Dramas are in real time relative to the show,putting in 5 time lapse breaks the flow of the show
>>
>>62204946
Thanks for all the help, guys. I solved it. I just tinkered with the special window/application settings to force a minimum size.

>>62205099
My pleasure.
>>
>>62205213
Then don't put in 5 time lapse breaks

This isn't a difficult concept.
>>
>>62205212
Cool. Sorry for dumb questions, I don't know anything about partitioning drives.

I think I found what I need here https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Partitioning/Home/Moving
>>
>>62205284
DNA scan on first suspect
6 hours later
fingerprint scan of 2nd suspect
4 hours later
check license plate from video screencap of 3rd suspect
4 hours later
NO PROFIT

You get my point
>>
horo is a capricious slut and whoreo posters are cucks.
>>
>>62204850
Fedora 26 here. No complaints.
>>
File: 1405853478531.png (18KB, 633x758px) Image search: [Google]
1405853478531.png
18KB, 633x758px
Why is everything on linux so fucking complicated?

I wanted to install new drivers for my nvidia. On windows i just download the setup.exe and double click to install. On linux the installed (no surprise) failed, so i google tutorials and there are millions of them, every one of them different, every one of them for different versions, they require editing config files and executing countless commands and it still doesn't even work anyway!

Jesus fucking christ, i am so fucking done with this OS. I gave it a fair shot after being being tricked by all those assholes praise loonix to the ends of the earth but fucking NO. For servers sure, but as a desktop? I haven't found one single thing it does better than windows desktop, everything is either same, or worse or just plain broken in linux.

A year of the linux desktop? Don't make me laugh, it has a LONG way to go still.

(The community is part of the problem too, almost all my questions i ever asked when i needed help were either plain ignored or answered with meme shit like "0/10 low quality bait")

So next time you are sitting there ricing and wondering why linux desktop market share is so tiny when it's sooo gooood, then this is the fucking reason. I am an average joe, and this is exactly what the average linux experience is for "us"

And before you go all edgy like " so fuck off back to windows faggot xD" that is exactly what am i going to fucking do and be fucking glad i'm doing it. I will try linux again in 7 years or so a see if it's borderline usable as desktop then

Okay, I'm done venting my frustrations now and i'm fucking outski.
>>
>>62204231
Terminus
>>
>>62204934
yeah sure, not sure it is really of worth to ask such a question.
it's piss easy and it's probably the norm, rather than the exception to do dual booting.
back when i had one drive it was a pain with windows taking up so much space, but now they are each in their own ssd.
>>
>>62205317
The plot of the show can work around actual time restrictions. They don't because the writers are lazy and stupid.
They can have concurrent plots running - send data to a lab for testing and then shift to more engaging drama before coming back to evidence results.

How does this not get through your head? You literally have to come up with contrivances to make your point of view work.

The reality is that hollywood writers, producers, and directors really don't know a goddamn thing about the technologies they show in television. They simply go with whatever is easy, and not whatever makes sense.
>>
File: 1497929109879.png (102KB, 475x375px) Image search: [Google]
1497929109879.png
102KB, 475x375px
>>62205375
I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.
>>
>>62205329
desu I have never used Fedora. From the way I see it get thrown around I had assumed it was an Arch kinda deal. Thanks for the suggestion and I'll give a look over.

The only thing I need keep in mind I am dealing with people who don't understand much beyond browsing the web so I hope Fedora is a good fit as it has a fairly good rep.
>>
File: asdf.png (44KB, 640x511px) Image search: [Google]
asdf.png
44KB, 640x511px
>>62205375
I just open my driver manager and pick a driver to use.

>it just werks for me
>>
>>62205415
So Eliot is in the heat of the moment, he is being chased by the chinease hackers and the nigger hackers.
He sits outside one of the homes,he beings up airsnort and starts to crack the wpa2-psk password on the wifi.
So were cool with him just chilling in the car on the road parking and cracking this password?
What scene do we turn to? One that isnt full of suspense that we just spent the past 10 minutes producing to the watchers?

Why dont you create a script thats so ground breaking with these new 'tactics" and make millions?
>>
>>62205375
>wondering why linux desktop market share is so tiny
This is a GOOD thing, moron.
more popularity => more retards shitting up forums => talented developers become tech support and the project stagnates
>>
>>62205449
It's good, anon. Try it.
>>
>>62205455
top kek

>hello users
>you have two options:
>a) (recommended)
>b) (open-source)
>you know what to do, don't you?
>>
>>62205375
nice pasta will respond anyway.
>I am an average joe
why should anyone care about the normies again? they are either up to snuff to figure it out, or brainlets that should fuck off back to windoze
>>
>>62205375
Complicated relative to what.

If you don't want to read directions then don't bother with Linux, its out of your league.
>>
MATE or xfce for ricing?
>>
>>62205506
*BSD doesn't have this problem
>>
>>62205455
>unironically enabling cpu botnet
Literally why?
>>
>>62205295
That'll do it for you. While you could just extend the Ubuntu partition, I recommend keeping home separate so you have a bit more fault tolerance and can reinstall without taking an extra step to backup your files if the mood ever strikes you.
>>
>>62205489
I'd be using the open source driver if I had an AMD card desu.

But from what I've heard, the opensource drivers for nvidia are terrible, so I made sure to switch to the proprietary one.

Not really sure about the AMD Microcode driver. Presumably if I select "do not use this device" linux kills itself because it stops communicating with the CPU.
>>
>>62205522
Can't be any directions if you can't do something right :P
>>
>>62205523
Because the other option is "stop using my cpu"
>>
>>62205544
You can safty disable the CPU microcode updates. It's not a driver. All it does it updating the nonfree microcode in your CPU when there are updates available.

>>62205564
No.
>>
>>62205536
Sounds good to me. I'll give it a go tomorrow. Thanks!
>>
>>62205580
then why does it literally say "driver" there?
>>
>>62200761
Just do the net install or the stage3 install like a fucking white man, you fucking double nigger
>>
>>62205375
Okay, I'll bite.
Depending on what your distro is and whether you want to install the open source (nouveau) or the proprietary NVIDIA drivers. In Linux, you need to get out of the mindset of downloading an installer and running it, everything is done through package managers. Also, don't just look up tutorials and mindlessly paste them into the terminal. Your search engine is your friend, look up what the command does and what all the bits and bobs mean.
When something goes wrong, 99% of the time there will be a log. Look for any errors and either try looking them up and possible fixes or try to figure it out yourself, you'll often find that you did something wrong yourself.
(I too share your pain with NVIDIA drivers on Linux, I fell for the Gentoo meme and was banging my head against the wall because the proprietary drivers were a bitch to set up, especially compared to the nouveau ones which I could just compile with the kernel it would just werk(tm) but the gayming performance would be awful. I got it working in the end and it was the most satisfying feeling.)
I wish you the best of luck and encourage you to give Loonix another shot.
>>
>>62205580
The option should say, "Do not use an alternative driver", rather than "do not use device".
>>
>>62205612
It's a mystery.
>>
>>62200872
exherbo
>>
>>62205628
That makes more sense, yeah.
>>
>>62200610
I was fed up with Windows in the Spring, so I popped a second SSD in my machine and installed Fedora on it.

Within 2 weeks, I had made it my main OS.

It's great.
Recently upgraded to Fedora 26.

Only thing I never figured out was how to use my scanner over Wi-Fi... Xsane wouldn't detect it.
I had to wire across my room to get to it.

Also, if anyone is interested in a new /g/ Discord Server, we have one here:
https://discord.gg/yWuYak
Several people here use some kind of Linux, so it's also good for when the threads are a bit slower, if you need a rapid response
>>
>>62201588
The loss would probably be negative, in that a free, unix-like operating system would in fact be beneficial for a cs major compared to a proprietary userland. and if you're using anything other than unix and expecting to gain something, you're an idiot.
>>
>>62205544
This. The nouveau drivers are a steaming pile of shit, it just about werks good luck trying to get any sort of acceleration though and you can forget about gayming.
>>
>>62205659
>discord
Thats a joke, right.
>>
>>62205491
I bet you like to fap to porn you dirty little filth don't you? If all normies stopped caring about and buying porn, do you think that it would still get made just for the 10 people who still cared about it? No. The less people use linux the more will it wither and slowly die. You need the normies much more than they need you, boy.
>>
>>62205659
what the hell is xsane besides a gimp plugin

also, nice blog

also, nice shilling
>>
>>62205667
just werkz for me
>>
Anybody here experience bugs in KDE that the processes baloo-file-extractor and krunner take up really high cpu power?
>>
>>62205771
>baloo
serves you right for using POO software
>>
>>62205623
>Your search engine is your friend, look up what the command does and what all the bits and bobs mean.
>When something goes wrong, 99% of the time there will be a log. Look for any errors and either try looking them up and possible fixes or try to figure it out yourself, you'll often find that you did something wrong yourself.
That is EXACTLY the problem.

Installing that shit on windows -> 2minutes tops, no interaction required - 100% guaranteed to work
Installing the same shit on linux -> 5 - 40 hours, requires constant mental focus on the task and constant execution of extremely tedious "manual labor" tasks like googling up every fucking logged error - not guaranteed whatsoever if you get it work in the end or not, you never go in knowing if you will just waste your entire weekend for nothing or not

Linux will simply never be mainstream popular until they can make sure the important stuff like drivers "just works"
>>
What's lighter, MATE or xfce?
>>
>>62205860
They aren't physical objects so they don't weigh anything, are you fucking stupid?
>>
>>62205891
You knew exactly what I fucking meant and yet you still replied this way
>>
>>62205812
oh no
>>
File: xsane.png (81KB, 645x588px) Image search: [Google]
xsane.png
81KB, 645x588px
>>62205695
xsane is for detecting scanners and allowing you to use them.

Here's a pic
>>
>>62205906
Well, maybe in future you will be more careful about being such a vague shit with your questions.
Next time word it in a way that isn't so filled with confusing double meanings.
Or do you think i have a magical crystal ball i can look into a see that you aren't some slow retard who is thinks that the size of software is measured in meters?
Thats all on you buddy.
>>
>>62205979
You're the most autistic faggot on this site.
>>
>>62205947
Speaking of... I have no idea why it detects a webcam as a scanner...
>>
>>62205979
destroyed kek :D
>>
>>62205979
>"f" is for "Friendly"
>>
File: 1480976600052.jpg (25KB, 240x221px) Image search: [Google]
1480976600052.jpg
25KB, 240x221px
Anyone here who uses Xubuntu and has a Nvidia card? Specifically the 970?
>>
>>62205812
> there is no Windows tech support industry
:thinkingface:
>>
File: JxNi533.png (61KB, 700x700px) Image search: [Google]
JxNi533.png
61KB, 700x700px
w-what's going on

w-why is everyone installing linux
>>
don't know how to properly format this so..
>have two hdds
>one has windows, the other completely blank
>want to put ubuntu on the blank
>did that, works fine except i don't seem to get the option to boot into windows on startup
>sudo os-prober does nothing
>>
>>62206220
holy shit is this legit? I just switched too 2 weeks ago but why now?
>>
>>62206292
I also just switched two weeks ago

I did it because I bought and put together a new computer and was getting sick of windows, but I'd honestly made the decision like a year ago, it was just waiting for the stuff I wanted to release.
>>
>>62206220
Because it's by far the most popular kernel for a gnu system.
>>
>>62206264
read archwiki entry about dual booting
>>
File: sdfasdf.png (38KB, 1118x639px) Image search: [Google]
sdfasdf.png
38KB, 1118x639px
https://explainshell.com/explain?cmd=sudo+rm+-rf

neat
>>
>>62206387
any local alternative?
>>
>>62206387
Thanks for the link, that's cool as fuck
>>
>>62206463
type 'man' before a command

like:
man grep

or:
whatis grep
>>
>>62206507
yawn
>>
>>62206521
>he doesn't spend his Friday nights reading software manuals
Yawn indeed.
>>
>>62206220
Based systemd.
>>
>>62206264
Use update-grub, not os-prober
>>
Why should I, as a normal user, should care about systemd?
>>
>>62206552
i do, just that that site just makes it easier to work with than having to scroll a man page.
do learn a bit from the clutter though i guess
>>
>>62206463
There is a link to the source right there on the page.
>>
>>62206569
you shouldn't.
next question
>>
I USE AAAAARCH ARCH ARCH ARCH ARCJH LIIINUXXXX ARCH LINUX ARCH LINUX AAARCH LINUX
>>
>>62206569
> hi, I'm a normie, what shills I do?
If you were a normie you wouldn't be here. The truth is that you are unimaginative.
>>
>>62206569
You must succumb to the power of f.u.d.
Resistance is futile.
>>
>>62206568
Is this really all I had to fucking do to get grub to recognize my window hdd?

I'm not even that guy but I have the same and just chalked it up to being fucking broken.
>>
>>62206645
Shut up.
>>
>>62206657
you really gotta up your troubleshooting game anon
>>
>>62206657
Works for me ;)
Update grub calls os-prober, which doesn't do anything with being passed a bunch of config. They are both just shell scripts that you can read and add print statements or set -x to to see what's going on.
>>
>>62206688
It was just a waste of time though

I was just going into the bios to boot from my windows hdd, probably takes an extra 15 seconds over working grub so it really wasn't worth all the effort to try and get something working properly.
>>
>>62206736
>It was just a waste of time though
eh, it's a page 1 result problem. if that's too much for you, don't know what to say really
>>
>>62206220
2017 year of linux desktop
let's pray it's not a statistical fluke
>>
Is there any way to use disk encryption on a tablet? How would I type my password on boot?
>>
is it safe to use mint again
>>
>>62206907
iris scanner
>>
>>62206777
No it is not just a "page 1 result" problem. It was a "try to figure out why grub isn't working, try to figure out how to make it work, and google 3 million different things to do it" problem.

Get fucking real buddy. People don't magically know the full extent of an issue before they've looked into it. I had no way of knowing that it was grub not being initialized, grub not even being installed, grub just not working period... The only way it would've been as fast as you claim, is if I literally already knew what the problem was and how to fix it.

What an oxymoron.
fucking shithead
>>
>>62206988
alright kiddo.
>>62206963
it was never safe to begin with.
>>
>>62206963
It's not feb 20 2016 so you're probably good2go.
>>
>>62206971
Anything else? I guess maybe my best option would be to use a USB drive with a keyfile or something, instead of a password?
>>
Lets say ive installed a driver which pulled lots of shit with itself... Will purge remove the driver and everything he pulled in? Will there any garbage left in my OS? Whats the correct chain of commands to remove everything in the most correct way?
>>
>>62207191
Assuming you mean apt purge, probably. You may get prompted to apt autoremove. There's also deborphan (or something like that) or gtk-orphan.
>>
>>62207647
≥not using aptitude
>>
>>62207191
here is how i do it on my ubuntu laptop
sudo aptitude purge $(deborphan)
>>
File: Sam_Hyde.jpg (15KB, 233x267px) Image search: [Google]
Sam_Hyde.jpg
15KB, 233x267px
just found this rare image of linus torvalds
>>
how to access java docs on arch from cli?
>>
File: 1503403206217.jpg (26KB, 328x328px) Image search: [Google]
1503403206217.jpg
26KB, 328x328px
I just realized I'm missing the most essencial thing ever: What's a suckless way to convert some text into binary ones and zeros and back to string?
>>
>>62207922
Figures the typical option would be a text based web browser - e.g. links2, elinks, w3c.

Maybe in framebuffer mode if that's available, otherwise I'd advise at least 256 colors if not truecolor.
>>
>>62207191
apt autoremove --purge <your package>
>>62207895
>linus torvalds
Who?
Learn binary, it's actually easy. Once you know it, you can use perl, python, or even bc via i/obase.
>>
>>62207991
forgot to quote: >>62207959
>>
>>62207959
Uh, your text file basically already happens to be binary. If you want to see it shown as such, use "xxd -b" or whatever else you fancy.
>>
File: 1497906033540.png (633KB, 587x551px) Image search: [Google]
1497906033540.png
633KB, 587x551px
>>62207922
>java
Why are people unironically still using inane languages?
>>
>>62207191
Generally speaking, package managers should remove all files they installed.

And in case of cave or equo purge or other such tools, it'll remove the packages that aren't depending on whatever is in the world file (where all packages your used profile has plus all packages you specifically installed are registered).
>>
>>62200991
Anything will work fine, if it doesn't work out of the box just find and install the drivers for your hardware (check your hardware & drivers with 'lspci').

I have an old convertible HP and it has worked with everything from Ubuntu to Void.
>>
>>62202509
Void might not be the best distro for you if you're asking that question.
>>
>>62208043
Because apparently it works better for many tasks than the even more inane C, C++, Perl and so on. And teams aren't all ready to switch to other JVM languages.

As such, it grows ever more. Latest major boost was obviously that it's the primary language on the most used personal OS - Android, and that high performance web stacks become increasingly reliant on it.
>>
>>62208104
So basically you got cucked by some buzzwords into a shit language.
>C, Perl inane
lmao
>>
>>62208104
> It works better for many tasks
I'll accept your excuse of mindshare and sloth but that ain't true.
>>
>>62208043
>languages
java, c#, .net, nodejs, etc = poo
>>
File: .jpg (40KB, 495x321px) Image search: [Google]
.jpg
40KB, 495x321px
>>62208104
>Android
Linux*
>>
>>62208104
b-but is it modular and how about webscale?
>>
>>62200610

What happens when you plug in an HDMI cable already connected to a desktop's HDMI port, into the HDMI port of a raspberry pi 3? Could it brick the pi3's sd card?
>>
>>62208237
wat
>>
>>62208132
Reality still is that Java is going very strong not only on old, long-standing software, but in new frameworks like those related to web servers, cloud computing, Android and so on.

Good luck doing it better with whatever language you prefer. The bulk of money and corporate effort will be pushing on the JVM/ART's side because that is what worked, though, and primarily with Java itself.

>>62208217
I think there were multiple things called that, I don't even know which one you are referring to.
>>
>>62207959
$ perl -lpe '$_=join " ", unpack"(B8)*"' <<< 'There is no system but GNU, and Linux is one of its kernels.'
01010100 01101000 01100101 01110010 01100101 00100000 01101001 01110011 00100000 01101110 01101111 00100000 01110011 01111001 01110011 01110100 01100101 01101101 00100000 01100010 01110101 01110100 00100000 01000111 01001110 01010101 00101100 00100000 01100001 01101110 01100100 00100000 01001100 01101001 01101110 01110101 01111000 00100000 01101001 01110011 00100000 01101111 01101110 01100101 00100000 01101111 01100110 00100000 01101001 01110100 01110011 00100000 01101011 01100101 01110010 01101110 01100101 01101100 01110011 00101110
$ perl -lape '$_=pack"(B8)*",@F' <<< '01010100 01101000 01100101 01110010 01100101 00100000 01101001 01110011 00100000 01101110 01101111 00100000 01110011 01111001 01110011 01110100 01100101 01101101 00100000 01100010 01110101 01110100 00100000 01000111 01001110 01010101 00101100 00100000 01100001 01101110 01100100 00100000 01001100 01101001 01101110 01110101 01111000 00100000 01101001 01110011 00100000 01101111 01101110 01100101 00100000 01101111 01100110 00100000 01101001 01110100 01110011 00100000 01101011 01100101 01110010 01101110 01100101 01101100 01110011 00101110'
There is no system but GNU, and Linux is one of its kernels.

happy hacking
>>
>>62208237
No, that shouldn't happen.

I'm not sure you can do *anything* useful with such a connection, though, unless your desktop's HDMI port is one of the rarer HDMI in ports.
>>
>>62208280
I think you need to define what you mean by "better" if you want to continue this argument. All the factors you cite are market forces.
>>
>>62206988
Next time try searching
"Arch wiki <problematic application>"
They can give you some decent insight, and most of the information is true regardless of distro
>>
>>62208104
does it support industry standards?
>>
>>62208217
top kek
>>
>>62208299
Yes, better for companies (web, cloud etc. stacks) and individuals (Android is the winning personal computing OS and pretty much no users complain much about what the apps run on).

Reality and market forces related to what's viable to develop, publish and work with, sure.
>>
>>62208369
> no-one ever got fired for choosing java
Isn't the same as
> it works better for many tasks
You're just signing the goalposts trying to defend your brain dead decision.
>>
>>62208291
neat, ty
>>
>>62208296

I had the HDMI from my desktop plugged and a micro USB coming from a wall outlet powering it, I removed the micro USB, I was about to pull the HDMI cable until I noticed the pi3 stayed on.....
>>
>>62208291
Linux is the ONLY kernel and without linux gnu would have never gotten anywhere.
Be more respectful to those that got you where you are now
>>
File: 1498493908572.png (150KB, 300x480px) Image search: [Google]
1498493908572.png
150KB, 300x480px
What are some cool terminal commands?
>>
Ubuntu minimal, Debian Minimal, stali, Arch, or Parabola for a minimal distro?
Or something else?
>>
>>62208456
anime website
>>
What's a good distro for someone comfy with Fedora except for systemd?
>>
>>62208463
Contributing some more perl conversations:

>base64 encode
perl -MMIME::Base64 -le 'print encode_base64("benis")'

>base64 decode
perl -MMIME::Base64 -le 'print decode_base64("YmVuaXM=")'

>html entities
perl -MHTML::Entities -le 'print encode_entities("b€nis")'
>html entities decode
perl -MHTML::Entities -le 'print decode_entities("b&acirc;&#130;&not;nis")'
b€nis

>hex encode
perl -le 'print unpack "H*", "benis"'

>hex decode
perl -le 'print pack "H*", "62656e6973"'
>>
>>62208463
classic: curl wttr.in
>>
This is still the last best thread on /g/, congrats guys, for keeping it up that long.

Love you all.
>>
no small number of solus users seem to have an issue with it not coming out of suspend/sleep after closing their laptop (since the beginning!) but none of the devs seemed to have solved the issue.

i wish the community were bigger so this wouldn't be a problem
>>
>>62208404
> no-one ever got fired for choosing java
I never claimed that. Maybe someone even got fired for choosing Java. No clue.

> your brain dead decision
I don't think I influence or own all these big and small companies, no. They kinda decided their increased reliance and investment into Java on the JVM & ART on their own.

I'll be waiting for you to do better than all of them though, seeing how it's "brain dead" it should be easy for you to win.
>>
>>62208683
follow arch wiki for sleep/hibernation
>>
So If I wanted leave me alone you don't have to be sysadmin in order to boot your pc to just program / browse web.

I would go with debian or debian alternatives right? Or could manjaro also work because of the way it's packed and shit is tested out.

Anyway should I go straight with Debian unstable instead of Ubuntu if I pick that route or can I safely go with Manjaro for what I desire?
>>
File: 1482297241821.jpg (92KB, 640x635px) Image search: [Google]
1482297241821.jpg
92KB, 640x635px
>>62208616
We're just here eating our piece of the cake. Thank free software. It's what keeps the community alive. Sharing, caring, helping each others to git gut, fix problems, escape surveillence, love. Where else do you have so much charity and beautiful autism?
>>
>>62208583
saved, thanks
>>
>>62208715
>majaro
No, never use downstream distros, definatly not that shitty one
>>
>>62208715
It's not like anyone is trying to break your setup, but it sounds like you want the *stable* version of a binary distro.

Be it Mint, RHEL, Debian or whatever.
>>
>>62208734
Perl is pretty cool. Once you know your way around grep, sed, awk, learn perl! It's all that in one and much more. Back in the days perl was pretty popular, sadly not many people use it anymore nowadays.
>>
>>62208741
you're pretty annoying with your "downstream distro" meme
can we have a thread without you fucking on people for using a distro that just does what they want?
>>
>>62200761
void or maybe gentoo

guixsd could be good too since you can recreate a system easily thanks to the declarative package management and such
>>
>>62200801
Horo or Gentoo?
>>
>>62200907
Yes to the first one, kind of to the second one. Wii U Pro Controller works out of the box but I had troubles getting the game cube adapter working.
>>
>>62200610
Will I get a qt fox gf if I install gentoo?
>>
>>62208827
yes
>>
>>62200761
I don't entirely get why you need something that quickly installs in a VM, because:
1. You can obviously reset and reuse or replicate VMs
2. You can start with a VM image that HAS the distro already. People made many images with VMs, containers running VMs and what not.
>>
>>62208827
wolf*
>>
>>62208774
>Manjaro
>set your clock backwards 19 hours to use the website
>Manjaro 1 year later
>set your clock backwards 19 hours to use the site
>manjaro 1 year later
>you cant even use the website unless you forge an ssl cert since we were late yet again

Not only that, but they had their downloads tampered with to point to a malware iso.

Its a shitty distro and mimics how downstream distros treat their userbase
>>
File: Screenshot_20170901_191601.png (71KB, 521x617px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170901_191601.png
71KB, 521x617px
Should I be worried about these rising package numbers?
>>
>>62208875
>Not only that, but they had their downloads tampered with to point to a malware iso.
Retard, that's was Mint.

Fucking meme lords speading their stupid half knowlege.
>>
>>62208907
Nah. Debian based distros fuck with your mind when you look at the package count. The reason is that Debian splits packages into parts, source, docs, binary, etc. Which means, - lets say you have a package count on Arch ~ 300, on Debian the same install would take be about 6-700 packages. It gets even harder when you're a developer who needs lots of C libs. I have a pretty much lightweight Debian system with a package count of 3k.
>>
>>62208759
python is the new perl
>>
>>62209018
Not really, the only current language compareable to perl is ruby. Python is full of cancer. Starting with forces whitespace wich makes it unusable for 1337 oneliners and the execution time is just horrible slow. But well, its easy for beginners.
>>
File: or - Copy.jpg (66KB, 768x531px) Image search: [Google]
or - Copy.jpg
66KB, 768x531px
My RX 470 shows up as "unclassified device" under device manager on Ubuntu. Is that normal? First i thought its because 16.04 doesnt have firmware for my GPU so i updated firmware but that didnt solve my problem. Ive also tried different mesa drivers from padoka PPA (stable/unstable), same shit. Please help, it drives me crazy!
>>
>>62208689
Well, i think it's an issue with my kernel or graphics driver. Probably the former as I was having problems even before the latter was installed.
>>
>>62209350
>kernel
Linux*

Why do people refuse to call it Linux?
>>
>>62209873
so people know I'm talking about the kernel
>>
bored with i3, whats the next step?
>>
>>62209933
The ultimate zen is manual tiling. Feels like out of prison, but you still have your shit organized. Check herbstluft.
>>
can anyone help me install virtualbox guest additions on Kali Linux ?

this doesn't work: https://docs.kali.org/general-use/kali-linux-virtual-box-guest

or this: https://www.blackmoreops.com/2017/01/24/install-virtualbox-guest-additions-in-kali-linux/

I have the latest version just downloaded today and I think they changed something again on how to install.
>>
File: vomit-chan.jpe.jpg (82KB, 680x680px) Image search: [Google]
vomit-chan.jpe.jpg
82KB, 680x680px
>>62210119
>using Kali
>using virtualbox
>requesting spoonfeeding
>>
>>62210219
its not spoonfeeding. linux's way of installing software is overly complicated and dumb.
>>
>>62210253
why don't you just install ubuntu like the rest of the noobs
>>
>>62210119
using Kali won't make you a 1337 h4x0r
>>
>>62210119
kali is basically n00buntu for script kiddies
why don't you use a REAL distro, like Arch Linux
>>
>>62210265
>>62210319
>>62210362
why can't you just answer the question ? I am pretty sure it either has something to do with the repos being fucked up or the linux headers being fucked up.
>>
>>62210378
check the Arch wiki on virtualbox
>>
>>62210420
i figured it out myself.

#1 my sources.list didn't have any actual text in it. just comments. the fuck ? no wonder all the apt-get installs weren't working.
#2 my linux headers were fucked up. and i couldn't update them until i added an actual repo to sources.list
>>
>>62210362
embrassing, that whole post
you're the reason why everyone laughs on arch loosers
>>
File: 1486830035810.jpg (12KB, 329x329px) Image search: [Google]
1486830035810.jpg
12KB, 329x329px
STOP LOWERCASE POSTING
>>
>>62210545
stop breathing
>>
>>62210551
Get the fuck out of my friendly thread, you unfriendly illness.
>>
>>62210556
>friendly thread
>Get the fuck out
OK
>>
>>62210593
All the shitposters come out at morning - the polacks, the botnet pussies, the shills, the meme queens, the fedora tippers, the canonical dopers, the vidya junkies, sick, venal. Someday a real rain will come and wash all this scum off the board.
>>
>>62210626
polacks operate more at night

shills are mostly based on the east/west coast of the US and work normal hours because they're paid employees at advertising* companies, so you don't see them at night

*brainwashing

unpaid shills work at all hours like regular neets
>>
File: 1473141306958.jpg (172KB, 1024x1344px) Image search: [Google]
1473141306958.jpg
172KB, 1024x1344px
How is Gecko Linux? Is it pretty simple? Any good?
>>
>>62200610
>install gpu drivers
>restart
>black screen
>install gpu drivers
>restart
>no boot loading option appears anymore
I tried, I really did try, but I am not going to stop using my fucking hardware just to switch.
>>
hey guys, only been on ubuntu for about three days and i still have no idea how to remove stuff so my question is what is the easiest/quickest way?
>>
>>62211912
sudo rm -rf /
>>
>>62211834
What distro and gpu, senpai?
>>
What can I put a spare SSD to use for on a headless ubuntu server? Its mainly a file/plex/qbittorrent server.
>>
Am i right in assuming that AMDGPU driver is built in Linux kernel and to update it you need to update the kernel?
>>
>>62211912
sudo apt-get remove --autoremove package_name
the --autoremove flag tells your system to remove automatic dependencies too.

To see your installed packages
apt list --installed|less
>>
>>62212181
Linux has modules. Modules are built into Linux. Most of them hold free drivers already, but you can install additional code into a module, which can be a proprietary driver or other botnets. See it like Linux is a browser engine and a driver is special addon. You only need to update the addon you installed additionally.
>>
Any utils to find similar images on my disk?
>>
>>62212399
findimagedupes
>>
>>62212393
>Most of them hold free drivers already
so I basically don't need to install drivers?
>>
>>62212400
>.go
What's this?

Also, how much can it do? Will it find the image if it's compressed/resized/cropped/modified (text added or shit)/pasted into another image?
>>
>>62212428
It's not like Windows where you need to get drivers from somewhere to make things work. It's there already. Always try the free drivers first.
>>
>>62212440
>>62212400
Looks like lua with pascal-like assignment operator.
>>
>>62212440
>>62212471
The fuck are you talking about.
http://www.jhnc.org/findimagedupes/
It's in most distros repos.
>>
What people mean when they say Git? For example "Mesa Git".
>>
>>62212491
The first result in Google is a git repo with that .go lua code.
>>
>>62212511
>using google
>>
>>62212509
git gut
>>
>>62212520
What if not Google? Yahoo? Bing?

What are that findimagedupes' capabilities? >>62212440
I want to get rid of as many duplicates as possible.
>>
>>62212491
>http://www.jhnc.org/findimagedupes/
The guy who made that website, I love him.
>>
I have horrible issues with screen tearing in Mint KDE, also the whole system is far slower than Windows 10 on a modern gayming PC. The whole interface it awfully buggy and slow. I have installed the drivers for my gpu and the screen tearing only got worse, then I spent like 6 combined hours trying shit off google but nothing seems to help.

I really want to know if it's normal for this piece of shit to be this buggy, and why the fuck isn't the linux kernel supporting this GPU out of the box so that the screen doesn't tear worse than a game running at 2856fps with no vsync.

Also hibernation doesn't work if you encrypt your home, and there doesn't seem to be any way to encrypt the whole drive, I thought Linux was all about security but maybe I'm still thinking of outdated memes (meanwhile, my bitlockered Windows 10 works perfectly and it took me 3 clicks to encrypt it).

Should I just give up and keep using Windows or should I try another distro? I want a modern one that doesn't resemble fucking Windows XP with a WindowBlinds theme applied.
>>
>>62212581
mint is already known to be a trashy distro. why didn't you just pick ubuntu...?
try ubuntu MATE or kubuntu if you really want kde
>>
>>62212552
try searx, startpage, even ddg is better
you should get out of the whole google ecosystem
>>
>>62212593
>>you should get out of the whole google ecosystem
Lol, so basically no email, no phone, no maps, no youtube? Lmao
>>
>>62212593
ok ok
I just asked about image dupe finder.
I asked you twice how good your recommendation is and still got no answer. I'm just too lazy to test it myself.
>>
>>62212612
things worked before google and they'll work after google
get a different mail, root your phone, use alternative maps, use youtubedl, whatever
there's life beyond a world where are people making money with selling your private data
>>
>>62212612
yes, disconnect from the internet and live in a forest because they can spy on you as if they cared about your pathetic virgin life
don't ever touch any electronic device. it's a dangerous botnet
>>
>>62212589
I tried Ubuntu some time ago and I didn't like it because it had bloatware and the interface reminded me of a retarded version of OSX. Honestly I don't want to deal with shit like web results, recommended apps, and Amazon shit on my desktop. If I were ok with that crap I wouldn't be messing with Linux.

Honestly though, why isn't the kernel supporting my hardware by default? And I'm not being an entitled faggot with a weird laptop with uncommon hardware, I have a GTX1060 (common as fuck), a realtek WiFi dongle using the RTL8811 chipset (common as fuck, 99% of cheap WiFi dongles use it) on a run of the mill gaming PC from 2 years ago. I expected ALL of my hardware to be supported out of the box, but apparently it isn't and I have additional problems with something else that leads to screen tearing and slow operation (not sure what, ALL of my hardware is common as fuck Intel, nVidia, and Realtek shit on a Samsung SSD).
>>
>>62212646
that amazon & web shit was only on unity. you need to stop falling for crap you read.
at least give a variant of ubuntu a try.
>>
>>62212646
>GTX1060 (common as fuck),
You were a good goy and bought Nvidia. They don't release firmware or help open source driver devs in any way. Mint probably has an old kernel by default which doesn't help with the HW support
>>
>>62212664
It's the most common GPU in the world, if there is ONE GPU that should be supported out of the box is this one.

http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/videocard/
>>
>>62212660
>g-guys, canonical did it only with unity
>unity is gone! everything canonical does it cool!
>>
>>62212717
that's not the point - he won't use unity anyway, so why concern him with it?
>>
>>62212681
Doesn't matter if you think it should or shouldn't, what matters is what Nvidia does and does not. If it's really getting your pants in a noose then send an email go Nvidia and see what they say.
>>
>>62212552
startpage.com is the only search engine with decent results while respecting your privacy.
They are a bit worse because you aren't tracked, but they basically anonymise your request and forward it to google.
>>
>>62212817
It was a rhetorical question. I already stated that I don't give a fuck.
>>
I'm looking for a simple and elegant application launcher. I like dmenu, but I can't launch it with KDE.

I've heard about rofi, but it's not in Fedora's repos.

What are my options?
>>
searx does the same and more
>>
>>62212936
go install rofi from outside the repos
>>
>>62212936

>can't launch with kde
You can.
>>
>>62212974
Then I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I googled the error to no avail. Any clues?

[anon@shitbox /]$ i3-dmenu-desktop
[anon@shitbox /]$ i3-msg: Could not connect to i3 on socket "/tmp/i3-ipc.sock": No such file or directory
Could not launch i3-msg: 256 at /usr/bin/i3-dmenu-desktop line 454, <GEN1> line 1.
>>
>>62212986

>i3-dmenu-desktop?
>"joke" hostname and username

There's no help for you.
>>
>>62213019
Thanks for the sarcastic remark, I guess.
>>
>>62213065

Hint: dmenu has nothing to do with i3.
>>
>>62213108
I know, but launching just dmenu doesn't get me anything.

With i3-dmenu-desktop I get the dmenu launch bar at the top, as I want, but trying to run any program returns the error I posted.

Any way around this?
>>
I'm tired of windows. Give me a linux distro that is, in order of importance

1. Not invasive
2. Just werks, as close to zero mandatory configurations as possible (I can tolerate having to install a few drivers but then it should just werk)
3. Friendly to SSD, already comes with trim and everything needed to not fuck up my SSD
4. Faster than Windows 10 at the very least
5. Supports whole disk encryption effortlessly and out of the box (I'm going to use it on a laptop)
>>
>>62213183
u b u n t u
or one of its varients
>>
>>62213122
try dmenu_run
>>
>>62213197
Damn, anon. I feel pretty stupid now. Thanks a lot!
>>
>>62200761
Anything. Either export of snapshot after installation and you can have it back to fresh quickly.
>>
can anyone help - i'm trying to install mysql on ubuntu but it says the service is already running (a previous install fucked up so I removed it) but I've removed all I can find and I can't see the process running with a ps -A ??
>>
>>62212509
Bump.
>>
>>62213183
ubuntu gnome.
>ubuntu
most supported distro
>gnome
most supported DE

You could go with RedHat if you are willing to pay for it, then you can get genuine customer support
>>
>>62213195
Which one? Anyway, I want it to just werk out of the box because I'm old and lazy, not because i can't troubleshoot shit or can't use Linux. I used Debian for years as a hobbyist when I was in high school many years ago but nowdays I'm just too lazy to re-learn (or even remember) all of that shit, doesn't help than I work as a Windows sysadmin nowdays and I basically overwritten all of my linux skillz with windows skillz.

Anyway, Windows 10 just doens't work, it fucks itself up after a while, I never had so many issues on my own home computer and on my 50 computer at the company where I work, but ever since we migrated to W10, shit just breaks itself after a while, and all the time it's weird little issues that seems impossible to fix, I've seen all sort of little bugs that took me way too long to fix, shit like computer not getting updates from wsus anymore for no reason, start menu not appearing anymore, start menu search results becoming impossible to click, the fucking new email button in outlook not doing anything, word crashing when you try to print, search not finding control panel items that it could always find, and so on.

This is the kind of shit I don't want to deal with anymore. Either I get a Linux distro that doesn't annoy me constantly or I'm going back to Windows 8.1, I'm that desperate.
>>
One question.

How do I bind a specific command to a keyboard binding in KDE?
>>
>>62213295
When it comes to Ubuntu, should I get lts or the latest one? I assume that if I don't get LTS I will be forced to update to a newer release when support ends, but how does ubuntu deal with big updates like that? Will everything fuck itself up completely like with Windows 10 feature updates or are ubuntu releases usually reliable?
>>
>>62204934
Works unceremoniously. I use Windows for vidya and "cross compilation", Ubuntu for anything else.
>>
>>62213286
Maybe the old process let a file somewhere.
>>
>>62213302
any you fancy.
lubuntu for higher performance, minimalist desktop
mate / xfce for windows-like environments
kde / gnome for a big & full featured environment
find one you like and liveboot it to test
>>
>>62213303
Ignore me. I found it.
>>
File: 1463548579465.png (782KB, 924x790px) Image search: [Google]
1463548579465.png
782KB, 924x790px
What distro to use if I want something that just works and has no unnecessary shit preinstalled?
DE doesn't really matter, going to use i3wm anyway
>>
>>62213464
ubuntu minimal?
>>
>>62208683
>>62209350

Back again, still having trouble and I'm at a bit of a loss. Did you guys ever know how much of a pain in the ass budgie can be? It's got so many neat little bells and whistles in its clean menus but then you go to system settings and there's barely anything for managing what your laptop does when the lid closes, for example.

I am actually more convinced that the issue is that while I can get the systemd logind.conf to say suspend, and then comment or uncomment it, there's something else telling the computer to suspend so that when i wake the laptop up (opening the lid) it does just suspend again. Are there any experienced Solus users here who may have encountered something like this before?
>>
>>62213286
>>62213358
This helped - I removed all mysql files manually from init.d

Still had another issue after - I had a ppa for maria-db and when trying to install mysql it was using the mysql-common package for mariadb instead of mysql.. after i removed the ppa it worked.
>>
File: 1489248925418.png (265KB, 768x480px) Image search: [Google]
1489248925418.png
265KB, 768x480px
>>62213493
Would prefer something without canonical botnet
>>
>>62213810
dont be a fucking idiot
>>
I have discovered the magic of
 watch date 
and two clocks.
>>
>>62213810

>talking about things you have no idea about

What's the point? My guess is you're too retarded to become self-aware.
>>
File: 2017-09-02-14:08:52.png (137KB, 1280x776px) Image search: [Google]
2017-09-02-14:08:52.png
137KB, 1280x776px
>>62213876

Thanks, I used to lose time, but now I'm always on top.
>>
How do i check if its necessary to install GPU firmware on my system?
>>
>>62214068
1) do you have GPU
2) do you want to use it effectively?
>>
>>62212509
>>62213293
Git is a version control system used by a lot of software developers to record each version of their code during development. Something like "Mesa Git" refers to using the very latest version from the Git repository, which is probably newer than whatever is officially released, but also possibly buggy or broken depending on the stability of the repository.
Thread posts: 350
Thread images: 34

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.