[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Computer Science [Serious]

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: 1454027565893.png (186KB, 330x330px) Image search: [Google]
1454027565893.png
186KB, 330x330px
Hey /g/ I just started taking CS this week at college. I'm really struggling with the math and we're using DrRacket in my CS class.

I guess what I want to ask is if CS is worth the time and energy - or should I bother doing something else?

/r/ing CS students/majors for input
>>
What's so hard about the math? Use a calculator
>>
>>62192974
I'm not him but I can't even use a calculator on tests for my math class
>>
>>62192974

>>62193135
OP here this is my situation
>>
>>62192722
>studying CS
>struggling with the math
Literally kill yourself.
There's humanities degrees harder than CS. CS is made easy as fuck just to graduate as many people as possible every year.
>>
>>62192722
What math are you in? Assuming you're in an entry level calculus class (standard for cs majors), it shouldn't be an issue. A CS degree might not be for you. Also consider the fact that you are in your first week and the class may get easier as you adjust to college and the class. I would wait out the semester and if you absolutely fail your courses you can drop it then.
>>
>>62193597
It's important with any course that you attack it from day 1. If you leave it and hope for a miracle later you deserve what you get.
>>
>>62193135
Well then the problems aren't too hard if they don't let you use a calculator. Just do the homework and then some to memorize the rules and you're good to go.
I never had to study during calc using this method. Just understand logically what needs to happen, practice a few times and try out different situations to worm out the bugs and apply what you learned to the tests
>>
>>62194504
Work out*
>>
>>62193135
can i ask what class? because honestly thats a pretty retarded and ass backwards way of learning math in the year 2017
>>
>>62192722
You need to work hard at that maths angle, because what it means is if you continue into computing, that you'll probably need to consider a career focused more on business application in IT in the long run. That might or might not be what you want.

t. experienced compsci grad
>>
Which uni? Good uni if they teach functional lang as introduction. Its hard but you will make you strong compi sci student
>>
>>62192722
If your school isn't shit, CS will feel hard. Challenge yourself to give it your all for the semester, and see how you feel after. You'll know if you enjoy it/felt the work was worth what you learned.

>>62194554
not him but many of my classes didn't allow them. discrete, calc 1 - 3, linear algebra, ode, and a few others I can't remember. problems never required more than basic mental arithmetic since that's not what you're being tested on. there's no reason you'd need a calculator.

>>62193471
>There's humanities degrees harder than CS.
retard
>>
>>62192722
You will struggle in any subject-- that's the nature of exploring any major subject in college. Don't run from something just because it's hard.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.