[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

openSUSE Tumbleweed

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 3

File: Tumbleweed.png (7KB, 285x84px) Image search: [Google]
Tumbleweed.png
7KB, 285x84px
Why are you not using it, /g/?
It's a rolling release with a stable software (thanks to automated testing) and the best KDE integration on the market.
>>
>>62186985
Because I'm ok with Leap 42.3 :-)
>>
because RPM based distros are cancer without exception
>>
>>62186985
rolling release ......and there lies the problem

LTS or nothing
>>
3rd party repo bullshit
>>
>>62186985
Long term support since I don't distro hop.
>>
>systemd
>>
>durr why don't you use what i use durrrrrrr
>>
Arch is better because of Pacman, the AUR, the thorough documentation, and the customisation.
>>
>>62189797
If you're retarded you didn't have to tell us in that manner.
I believe you need to learn the difference between suggestive content and factual statements.
>>
>>62189503
Ha, you dam sure got them with that meme.

>Embrace the future or die with the past.
>>
>why r u not usin *
Worse than frog posting. Kill yourself twice.
>>
>>62189807
Being unreliable that not industry standards recommends arch as their primary server.

>Not even a contender to Debain (GUI or core)
>Time wasting does not mean profit
>People believe fixing broken packages creates Linux skills. All you do is read a wiki and follow the steps.

Arch is a distro that no industry uses for any serious task. I have not yet seen a business or company use Arch.
>>
>>62189845
Fuck off poettering
>>
>>62189807
Well you have to have documentation if you are going to throw every broken package at the user.

Arch is good for a distro hop use but none the less I would never recommend this distro for anything past curiosity.
>>
On it and very happy with it.
>>
>>62186985
fuck off Bryan
>>
>>62186985
But im using it, the only problem so far is that i cannot play some games, for example Portal1 and 2, but the other HL2 game engines works normally, im not sure if is because the drivers itself or Steam, i remember playing it normally on Antergos
>>
>>62189930
Stop resisting the future.
People who resist evolution are usually the ones with no credentials to even speak on the matter they resist.

I don't see you develop a distro or contribute to any form of init distro. You can hide behind anon but you are a no one who bitches about movements you don't understand.
>>
>>62186985
the installer fails when trying to connect to http
>>
>>62189998
(You)
>>
File: how_unpleasant_0.jpg (30KB, 425x414px) Image search: [Google]
how_unpleasant_0.jpg
30KB, 425x414px
>>62186985
Its font rendering :(
>>
>>62189899
>>62189941
Not sure what you're talking about with broken packages. Arch is rock solid stable for me. I don't have to fix anything, just configure.
>>
>>62190014
Well at least we have been put into place. The difference between me to you is that I like init and systemd. I don't give a fuck about either of them as long as my system turns shit on correctly. You on the other hand are resisting the current state of Linux.

I suppose you're the one who bitches on Linux forums about how Microsoft will destroy open source.
>>
>>62190038
So I see you only recently installed within the last 5 days. Good for you. I do suggest you skip the distro hoping and just end at either Debian or OpenSuse
>>
>>62190065
(You)
>>
>there are actual systemd shills on this board
ew
>>
>>62190095
(you)
>>
@62189845
@62189998
@62190065
@62190114
(You)
>>
>>62190109
>Someone uses something I don't like, that is not Ok with me.
>>
>>62190132
>defending systemd
I don't care if you use it, but don't shill for garbage superior alternatives are available.
>>
>>62190126
>>www.4chan.org/gif/
>>
>>62190089
I've been using it for around a year or so.
>>
>>62190143
I simply don't have the time to invest my personal emotions into a software project. I installed my distro and it turns on using systemd, who the fuck cares. If my distro used init I would also say "who the fuck cares". Why invest time and attention to such a small thing.

The point on using a distro is so that I don't have to worry about design choices. I just need it to work when I need to use it.
>>
>>62190153
So you have never updated. No point lying from here on. Arch will break and it really only takes one update. So piss off it hasn't had issues for an entire year.
>>
>>62190182
>system-wide access to PID1
>no big deal
wew
>>
>>62190213
>100% turn on rate
>Works when I need it
Wew

When you turn on your machine and you don't need to construct the entire distro project from scratch or worry about designing such system.
>Wew
>>
>>62190237
i cringed at this post
>>
>>62190182
>>62190237
>just werks
go back to windows
>>
>>62190278
Enjoy investing time in this.
I will use Debian 9 on all my systems. Best to be as far away from your idea of Linux as possible.
>>
>>62190303
but muh new packages. Backports are good but there is still not enough of them.
>>
>>62190303
debian 9 runs like shit
>>
File: Memes.png (251KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Memes.png
251KB, 1920x1080px
>>62190297
>>
>>62190337
(You)
>>
>>62186985
DUDE TUMBLR WEED LMAO
>>
>>62190325
Works fine on my machine ™
>>
>>62190203
I don't think you've ever actually used Arch.
>>
>>62190360
I have actually. After needing to fix a module in the kernel and repair broken drivers for a graphics card I simply went to something that worked.
It is not every day the a "stable" file browser fails to locate its home drive. This was in 2015 and 2016 as well.
I know the reason why Arch is not used in the server industry first hand.
>>
>>62190385
It's perfectly stable for me in 2017. If there are updates that require some kind of manual intervention, there'll be a post about it on the Arch news website and on the mailing lists. You're supposed to stay informed, and if you blindly update in one of those cases, then it's your own fault if things get fucked up. Manual intervention updates are extremely rare occurrences anyway.
>>
>>62190385
>can fix kernel modules and repair drivers
>can't arch
I believe you.
>>
>>62189807
>Arch is better because of Pacman
You mean that shitty package manager with shitty options that used to (until very recently) delete config files for no reason?
>the AUR
Shitty 3rd party repos that are never audited. You could be installing malware and never notice it or recieve an update that breaks other packages. I mean, at least Canonical warns users about using PPAs.
>the thorough documentation
Only if you care about anime wallpapers and terminal color schemes.
>and the customisation.
Every distro can be "customized".
Debian is much better in every regard.
>>
>>62190789
yep, it's weird that Arch users sing praises to AUR which is just a dump of untested packages.
Debian Unstable/Testing is shit, though.
>>
>>62190789
Pretty much everything you said there is wrong. Try using it sometime and educate yourself.
>>
I read it keeps breaking for people.
>>
>>62186985
I tried it, it's good, especially btrfs, but:
- I'm the type who doesn't restart his computer, with Debian, Arch, it can reach upto 3 months continues running before I remember to restart it,however, with opens use, after 3 to 4 days, it becomes leggy and slow, and need restart.
- The code isn't running out-of-the-way box
- If you try to run or install any software out of their repo, it is a a nightmare, ex: VMware.
- The font rendering isn't that good.

Have to say, YaST is fucking good.
>>
>>62186985
Made by German SJWs, backdoored, systemd cancer.
>>
>>62194502
Suggested alternative?
>>
>>62194550
Debian, Devuan, or OpenBSD.
>>
>>62194650
Void?
>>
>>62189807
>pacman
>good

LMAO kid use a real package manager like dnf and come back to me.

Your pleb manager can't even do globs. Even Debian's abortion, known as apt and apt-whatever, can do globs

basic features that are in apt and dnf require shell autism and poor cli ux to replicate the behavior in pacman.
>>
First off, systemd is not an init system, it has an init system as part of the systemd suite. systemd is a project to build a standardised lowlevel userland for Linux. The project is pretty comprehensive and it delivers a lot of functionality under one umbrella. It does away with a lot of older, often undermaintained software packages, which were traditionally used to assemble a low level userland.

Which is where the contention comes from, as a system suite systemd is restrictive for Unix virtuosi who are used to tailor a system with wit, ingenuity, a lick and a prayer and a couple dozen of unrelated packages. systemd makes such knowledge useless.

The faction that thinks that systemd is Linux's Hiroshima, finds all the added functionality bloat, unnecessary and dangerous, as it is all under development in one project.

All the systemd jokes stem from the comprehensiveness as a low level system suite. People against it love to joke that one day systemd will write its own kernel.

There is a lot of FUD and hate going around. Some arguments do have merit, a lot of eggs in one basket is certainly true, but as with all things in life, it depends which tradeoff you prefer. Do you want a suite of well designed software, working closely together, so that system management is streamlined or do you want the complete freedom to tailor your own low level system with a lot of time tested, interchangeable components.

I have no desire to be a low level system designer, so I prefer systemd. I don't hate traditional init systems though. If a Linux system has one and I need to work with it, I'm still happy it boots and starts the necessary services.
>>
>>62194691
You could also try Source Mage. I have no experience with Void so I don't know.
>>
>>62194775
Systemd is buggy, stupid, and the developer is an SJW cuck who works for multiple intelligence agencies. You'd have to be retarded to use it.
Thread posts: 63
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.