[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why does short message service protocol have a max. size of 160

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: 1501800118268.jpg (20KB, 320x320px) Image search: [Google]
1501800118268.jpg
20KB, 320x320px
Why does short message service protocol have a max. size of 160 charakters?

>inb4 because the protocol was limited to 140 bits

yes, but why? Was this a technical decision? Or was this simply deemed to be the right amount for marketing purposes? Why was it never changed?

pic not related
>>
SS7 Mobile Application Part payloads have a maximum payload length of 140 bytes and were sent in GSM between unused signalling cells.
>>
How about you searx it, nigger
>>
>>62180336
>Why does short message service protocol have a max. size of 160 charakters?
Because it's a deprecated price of shit and no one should use it anymore
>>
>>62180336
>yes, but why? Was this a technical decision?
the technical reason was that they needed to send and receive signals to and from the phone anyway and fitting 128 bytes on the end was basically free for the provider, later upgraded to 160 characters but still, the rational behind keeping this size is that it's about the same as what you'd write on a postcard or other similar short message services anyway but primarily because it's basically free: <$2 for 10k sms messages, where they can charge $2 for 20 sms messages from the customer and get away with it

consider how popular twitter is with its 140 character limitation when it could feasibly be far more, even irc with its 512 character limit, depending on server, is excessive for less in depth conversations
>>
>>62180336
Does it matter? It's not like when phones would split messages that went over 160 characters, every phone receives longer messages as a single message.
>>
>>62181757
The 160 characters comes from using a hacked character set that's a subset of... I can remember. It basically missing things like some accented characters, some brackets, etc.
>>
>>62181628
It's not deprecated. Every phone in the world supports it.
>>
>>62182014
its the most widely used message service according to wikipedia
>>
>>62181757
thank you, that's an interesting point.

I was wondering if it was completely arbitrary or technical, your explanation makes a lot of sense

>>62181403
>state of /g/
>>
>>62181794
underage iOS cunt detected
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.