[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why is whatsapp used when this exists? It is owned by the same

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 7

File: Facebook_Messenger_logo.svg.png (81KB, 2000x2018px) Image search: [Google]
Facebook_Messenger_logo.svg.png
81KB, 2000x2018px
Why is whatsapp used when this exists? It is owned by the same amount of people but for some reason normies don't use it as much. I wish telegram or messenger would totally replace the green cancer.
>>
because you need a facebook account to use that

>calling whatsapp normies when messenger is worse

Whats wrong with you
>>
>>62178010

Is this really all you have to sit in your room stewing about? I feel bad for you, get a hobby or something.
>>
why not just text?
wtf is wrong with you that you need a dedicated mesaaging app
or just fucking call somekne ffs
use a phone the way it was meant to be used
>>
>>62178010
it used to not be owned by kikebook tho.
>>
File: 800_DownwardDog[1].jpg (27KB, 525x540px) Image search: [Google]
800_DownwardDog[1].jpg
27KB, 525x540px
whatsapp has excellent features, is lighweight and easy to set up with nothing more than a phone number. I actually prefer it to SMS because of the features.
>>
>>62178010
This Pos kike app destroys batteries
>>
>>62178035
Texting with an app is much more comfortable. You can see if the other person is typing, and if he isn't a cunt then you can see when was he last online. Sharing photos and videos is much easier and you can have group chats (family, job, friends).
>>62178031
Back to yahoo comment section
>>62178059
Yeah but it is buggy and requires a phone online even when you use it on a computer or a tablet. That is retarded as fuck. I wish telegram was bigger.
>>
>>62178132
i dont use proprietary garbage like these apps but cant you run it on a android vm instead?
>>
>>62178140
Are you talking about whatsapp? There was some shitty workaround some time ago. Google is your friend. It requires a phone number unlike messenger that doesn't even need a facebook account unlike what this >>62178018 dumbass says. Telegram also asked me for a phone number. Not sure if I could skip that or was it required.
>>
>>62178132
Telegram requires a phone number to sign up. Also the encryption is shit and not implemented everywhere. Stop recommending it, it's literally worse than Whatsapp.
>>
FB Messenger doesn't encrypt messages by default.
At least Whatsapp has end-to-end encryption.

Plus messenger.com is awfully slow on PC.
>>
>not using pgp xmpp to arrange your Friday night magic with your friends and send girls dick picks
its like you want the NSA laughing at you
>>
>>62178218
>implying that there's no Secret Chat in Telegram
>>
File: wire private messenger.png (21KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
wire private messenger.png
21KB, 300x300px
>>62178010
Why use that, which requires a phone number, when Wire exists, and doesn't?
>>
>>62178229
I don't get this, how can you prove its encrypted. Why would a data mining company do this
>>
>not using parrot

Do you even communication
>>
>>62178243
>Telegram user can't read
imagine my shock
>>
>>62178252
by encrypting your messages with pgp before posting them on the botnet service.
>>
>>62178243
Can't you read? It's a US based company that doesn't E2E all encryptions by default, and the encryption used has been demonstrated to be problematic. Telegram is not a good app in comparison to Wire, Signal, or Wickr (the latter two I have issues with due to them being based in the US, as well).
>>
>>62178295
It's good because those apps eat lot of CPU because they made on top of the chromium engine.
>>
>>62178323
Maybe if you're using a CPU from 2005.
>>
>>62178337
and lots of battery on modern devices.
>>
>>62178409
I've seen no real increase in battery usage on my phone in comparison to a texting app.

As for desktop, who uses battery on that for long?
>>
>>62178218
If it's good enough for ISIS it's good enough for me. Also it's objectively better than WhatsApp, kys.
>>
>>62178618
I'm glad that you're happy using a honeypot. Seriously, why not just use facebook messenger? Secret Chats are E2E encrypted, too.
>>
>>62178295
>US Based company
>Actually headquartered in Germany
What did you mean by this?
>>
>>62178765
Not him, but they are an American LLC.
>>
Why would you ever use something that isn't encrypted through and through, nowadays?
I don't get it. I mean if you get something really nice in return, say a huge user base, fine, at least it's something. But Telegram doesn't even have that.
>>
>>62178928
It does if you're Iranian. I'm not, but I'm just pointing it out. Wire user, myself.
>>
>>62178244
I love that you can set custom photos. I always set mine to bulges OwO
>>
>>62178647
Because I don't want to.
>>
>>62178132
>group chats
Never needed it
>family
Group sms will send the same message to all of them and then I can get a reply.
The "only" problem with this is android still doesn't have an easy way to do this without making a new conversation nobody can reply to.
It would be much better if it was put into each existing conversation.
>job
Don't use sms, either we call or we email.
>friends
sms is fine here.
You use your phone to contact them in order to meet in person.
You don't need group text as you are usually contacting the one person who isn't there.
If you need to organize an event, email works for everyone.
The only messaging app that has taken off in my social circles are imessage because most people didn't realize it wasn't just sms.
So I wouldn't mind using something more sophisticated, but sms is fast, free and uses less power on your phone.
I would gladly switch if everyone could agree that xmpp is the best alternative
>>
>>62178010
Because i can add contact on whatsapp without having to friend them on facebook, simply by adding their number in my contact list
>>
>>62178018
>whatsapp and messenger both owned by facebook
>calling messenger worse

kys normie
>>
>>62178035
Outdated and worse performing protocol/hardware. I completely removed SIM cards from my life. Why use them when WiFi exists and gives better speeds?
Also, IMs are superior in every way
>media sharing
>file sharing
>not nearly as limited messages
>voice chat
>group chat
>group voice chat
>completely free of charge no matter where you are and where the receiving people are
>some IMs support encryption and are better for privacy (example; Wire)
>modern IMs have desktop clients too
>>
File: Feels_good_man.jpg (20KB, 329x357px) Image search: [Google]
Feels_good_man.jpg
20KB, 329x357px
>>62178010
> Working on my laptop all day.
> Whatsapp wants me to turn on my data connection and keep my smartphone on all the time.
> Using Telegram from my laptop
It has never been that comfy
>>
>>62179878
Or you could do the same thing with Wire, and not have half-assed broken encryption.
>>
>>62178035
>why not just text?
All of my this. Fuck using 6 different IM apps to talk to everyone, I'll stick to SMS, which everyone has. Plus it integrates into my phone's OS instead of using a different bullshit app with a different bullshit UI for each person.
>>
What do /g/ think about Tox?
>>
>>62179928
SMS isn't encryption. It's fine for non-personal stuff, but I wouldn't use it for anything else.
>>
>>62179939
If it's personal enough that you're that worried, discuss it in person.
>>
File: line.png (11KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
line.png
11KB, 300x300px
You used the wrong picture, OP.
Unzucc yourself.
>>
>>62179969
>Unencrypted
Hey, Black Pigeon Speaks. Might want to do a little more research before you make a video like that.
>>
>>62178035
Some of us have friends outside of the US where texting can be prohibitively expensive and due to much lower data costs people use messanger apps.

That said if you are using anything that is not open source and 100% encrypted by default (i.e signal messanger) you are a cancerous fucking normie who should commit ritual sudoku
>>
>>62178235
>girls using pgp
>not using omemo
>>
>>62180028
>US based.
>No desktop app
Only issues I have with Signal. If they move to Switzerland and make a desktop app, I won't have a single concern with them.
>>
>>62179451
I agree with much of what you have to say but wifi is almost always slower for me on mobile for one reason or another. Some reasons are controllable, others not so much. For this I almost exclusively use data with my handset.
>>
>Self hosted VoIP service with personal IP PBX and SIP phone
>Self hosted XMPP server for IM
Bonus points if you use a VPS in a privacy respecting country to host both services.
>>
>>62180028
>closed source server software
Enjoy being logged and your metadata given to TLAs. Don't forget that CIA kills people based off metadata.

If you can't run your own Signal server then it's not 100% secure.
>>
>>62180118
You haven't looked at the metadata that was given in court, have you?
>>
>>62180118
source pls. not because i don't believe you.
>>
>>62180165
nvm
>>
Why can't i use WhatsApp on my computer without having my phone around?

My theory is that because of the e2e encryption and the private key is stored in the device. Probably same reason why you can't have more than one phone connection. But isn't there a conventional way to solve this?

Maybe e2e was a mistake
>>
>>62180137
Oh darling, do you even know what FISA is?
>>
>>62180216
There is. Wire shows the specific fingerprint for each device, and allows both yourself and other users to verify such a thing.

For example, if you have a friend that is worried about your desktop app, you can send him a picture of the fingerprint on your desktop, over your phone, which they already verified. You could also use something else, like Tutanota to Tutanota, which would also be E2E encrypted and require a different password.
>>
>>62178132

Telegram is bad for privacy. See this

https://www.reddit.com/r/privacytoolsIO/comments/6r655i/telegram_isnt_safe/dl2vveb/

And this:
https://gizmodo.com/why-you-should-stop-using-telegram-right-now-1782557415

**Thomas H. Ptacek**

> https://twitter.com/Snowden/status/678274362609426432
> By default Telegram stores the PLAINTEXT of EVERY MESSAGE every user has ever sent or received on THEIR SERVER.

**Edward Snowden**

> I respect @durov, but Ptacek is right: @telegram's defaults are dangerous. Without a major update, it's unsafe.

> To be clear, what matters is that the plaintext of messages is *accessible* to the server (or service provider), not whether it's "stored."

> https://twitter.com/snowden/status/778592275144314884
> Use Tor. Use Signal.

**Moxie Marlinspike**

> https://twitter.com/moxie/status/678219238394298372
> It's just how Telegram works and is self-documented to work: Only their marketing copy suggests otherwise.

> https://twitter.com/moxie/status/678277776391077888
> If you're on an iPhone, they also send a plaintext copy of every msg you receive to Apple's servers. So not even in transit.

> https://twitter.com/moxie/status/678309008789258240
> For iOS push notification previews. They didn't do the work to make them privacy preserving.
>>
>>62180165
Just read about Signal, they only allow you to use their servers, based in the US. Trusting anyone apart from yourself if how you get undone. The point of secure crypto it to eliminate trusting in 3rd parties. If you have to trust an unknown entity you've already lost.
>>
>>62180251
Wire will allow hosting it on your own server in 2018. Right now, their open source servers are hosted in Switzerland.
>>
>>62180264
XMPP already exists.
>>
>>62180216
>Maybe e2e was a mistake
No, it's just the way Whatsapp does it.
Whatsapp is really just a SMS replacement, it's not an IM optimized for your PC. Same for Signal.

Nothing that relies on your phone number for verification should be trusted for serious privacy anyway. Governments, ISPs and other people with access can take control of your phone number.
>>
>>62179928
People get angry at me for only using SMS... I don't have normiebook or any other of these apps / social media things they do... 95% of plans here in Australia have unlimited texts so I don't know why people care so much...

>also green bubble meme
>>
>>62180326
That's like a doctor saying that he doesn't understand why people are upset that he sends them mail via postcard, where literally anybody who touches it can read what's written on it.

That's SMS. A postcard. Ditto for unencrypted email.
>>
>>62178010
People here in Germany use What'sApp since they actually don't know telegram. I use both (Telegram more than What'sApp) but it's something that kinda happened here
>>
File: signal.png (26KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
signal.png
26KB, 300x300px
>>62178010
Because this exists
>>
>>62178244
sweet but buggy, trying to use it and convert everyone tho
>>
>>62179969
Shitty UI, bloated, and shitty paid stickers. That's all i can say
>>
>>62178018
>because you need a facebook account to use that
No you dont
>>
>>62180241
Then why the data isn't leaked like Whatsapp?
Thread posts: 69
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.