[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are the benefits of gentoo?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

File: 1482527260765.jpg (57KB, 680x680px) Image search: [Google]
1482527260765.jpg
57KB, 680x680px
Surely you fuckers will be able to enlighten me.
>>
Compiling programs and the kernel for your specific machine, use flags for wanting/not wanting certain software installed eg: wanting gnome without, uh, some libraries to help it be compatible with kde as an example. (Note: I don't use Gentoo so while I'm sure I'm going to get shit for that example, the idea still applies.)This reduces space taken up on your computer.
>>
Google, Facebook, Amazon, Apple, and the Anti-Defamation League all run their vast infrastructures entirely on gentoo.

If you want to swim with the big boys, install gentoo
>>
there is no point to using gentoo at all
>>
Its a good way to waste time for people who have no hobbies
>>
>>62176436
There aren't any. The kiddos will be along shortly to explain to you why having to compile everything lets you "set flags 2 make ur progrims fastur" and how "there is no le systemd le botnet" but you can just go ahead and toss all that bullshit into the trash.
>>
it's excellent for getting a really good grasp of the linux ecosystem and understanding how you're hardware fits together to create a computing experience most people take for granted.

that said I wouldn't use it as my primary OS. the installation/setup can be painful, the USE flags take a fair bit of getting used to and compiling new software can be an unsatisfying timesink.
>>
>>62178606
That's not true, at least as long as Google is concerned. They use Debian on the servers and Ubuntu or macOS on desktop PCs.

Chrome OS is based on Gentoo though.
>>
>>62180303
>not true, at least as long as Google is concerned
>Applel uning linux
>vast infrastructure of ADL

u took the bait anon
>>
>>62176436
I bet that's a Brit.
>>
>>62180570
english blood for sure
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.