[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Elementary OS

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 9

Is anyone using this?

Looks ok. It seems pretty vanilla but it also looks much nicer (imo) than ubuntu gnome / unity, so why doesn't this get shilled as hard for more "normal" users?
>>
>Elementary OS
isn't it spelled "El3m3nt4ry O's"?
>>
>>62175008
I just installed Ubuntu and it's good enough for me, never caught the distro-hopping fever
>>
>>62175085
With that said Elementary looks good, certainly better than Fedora.
>>
>>62175097
>certainly better than Fedora
leave.
>>
>>62175053
I don't think it is, no.

>>62175085
I guess because so many are available for free, people get curious.

Distro hoping is dumber than testing out different DEs though.
>>
>devs think anyone who doesn't donate money is an ungrateful thief

Sorry, not going to even entertain the idea of installing this reskinned Ubuntu distro.
>>
>>62175008
Might aswell just install hackintosh
>>
>>62175008
Gnome DE fork using enlightenment, eats little CPUs like candy.
>>
>>62175008
yeah it's pretty good, it used to be my main distro with the previous version (was it Luna?)

I kinda miss some aspects of it
>>
>>62175008
>looks much nicer than ubuntu unity
Maybe you just have shit taste.

Ubuntu has by far the best installer and largest community. No reason to go anywhere else for 'normal' users.
>>
>>62175440
The op screenshot looks better than unity.

And the community size could be irrelevant for really "normal" users. If i'm just running a browser and libreoffice, who cares about the community size.
>>
>>62175008
>budgie
I thought Elementary used Pantheon
>>
>>62175462
>screenshot looks better than unity
Not really. Only an idiot would run a dock ACROSS their screen on a 16:9 monitor. Seriously? you have 768 lines and you're going to take up 70 of them with that dock bullshit?

Also the unlabeled min/max/restore buttons are cute but not particularly user friendly for a 'normal' user.

Besides that, the color scheme is a bit retarded. Dark grey on black? ooo edgy! Definitely a great starter distro!
>>
>>62175563
>Also the unlabeled min/max/restore buttons are cute but not particularly user friendly for a 'normal' user.

Alright, macos confirmed for only the most hardcore hackers then.
>>
eOS is alright for a retard-proof workstation. It's so feature-starved that most people could use it without issue.

>>62175008
>Distro literally made to peddle one single DE
>Switching the DE
why though
>>
>>62175085
Mine stopped with Solus ::':)
>>
>>62175008
hi op, long time user here (since 1996)
ignore the self-wanking plebs. i used eos for about 6mo and i found it quite pleasant as a desktop os. the ui is smooth, polished and FAST with very little bloat.

its still just linux under the hood, so anyone complaining about a lack of features is just ignorant. linux is linux.
>>
>>62176165
>its still just linux under the hood, so anyone complaining about a lack of features is just ignorant.
Linux is just the kernel, dude.
A kernel is lacking features of a fully functional operating system.
Do you mean GNU/Linux?
>>
>>62175008
wtf is this? why teh fuck even use a top bar if you gonna use it in such a retarded fashin
>>
>>62175008
I used Elementary OS for two years non-stop until there was an update that fucked up just about everything.

I switched to straight Ubuntu, installed plank, and cusomised the little things I liked best about Elementary. It's like a never even left
>>
>>62177662
don't lots of DEs give you the option to do this. it's like the active open programs as icons but put in the middle of the bar instead of the left.
>>
>>62175008
Well obviously I wouldn't be old enough to post here if I was using an OS for elementary school students.
>>
>>62175008
I recommend it for those switching from MacOS. I recommend Mint for people switching from Windows.

I find that people have greater success with Linux when they start with something that they are familiar with.
>>
>>62177762
thats what the dock is for. Im macOS clone there should be a global menu
>>
Works great for my wife and my wife's son.
>>
>>62175008
it looks way too tryhard mac for me, I'd rather go with barebones installs like Arch etc then set things up how I like them
>>
>>62175749
Why? What makes Solus so comfy?
>>
>>62178336
Solus - nothing

But the budgie on solus is good. Budgie on other repos is aids
>>
>>62178343
which package manager does Solus use?
>>
>>62175085
Mine has gone terminal. I'm now using TempleOS unironically as a daily driver. I've rewritten most tools (PDF viewers, image/jss/html/css browser, etc) just so it would work.
>>
>>62178349
eopkg
>>
Gentoo -> Layman -> pentoo.
Compile, compile, compile.
>>
File: feelin_dazy.png (275KB, 491x549px) Image search: [Google]
feelin_dazy.png
275KB, 491x549px
It's designed for the most beginner of linux users - as in it's designed for Mac users, AKA, computer retards. It's shit and Pantheon is an even worse version of Gnome 3.

Use Linux Mint if you are a beginner it's better in every way.

I personally use ubuntu minimal though because I hate how most other distros package too much stupid shit, and I'm not autistic enough to use Arch or Gentoo.
>>
>>62178683
>I personally use ubuntu minimal though because I hate how most other distros package too much stupid shit, and I'm not smart enough to use Arch or Gentoo.
Fixed
>>
File: serveimage.png (117KB, 1465x1007px) Image search: [Google]
serveimage.png
117KB, 1465x1007px
>>62178706
Ahh yes, thank you friend. My sub 150 IQ isn't enough to deal with pacman breaking my configs everyday.
>>
>>62178751
Dude, there is an installer for you autists unable to RTFM. And I've not had issues like that ever. L2 not emerge World every 20 minutes. Autists being autistic. Go figure.
If you're still too autistic to use Gentoo or Arch, then at least use damn small.
Much autism, very screech.
>>
File: QZQIADt_d.jpg (568KB, 640x4310px) Image search: [Google]
QZQIADt_d.jpg
568KB, 640x4310px
>>62178836
>doge memes in 2017
This is why no one likes Arch users.
>>
>>62178886
Waiting for relevancy...
Not my fault if you're scared.
I know children that know how to use Gentoo.
What's you're excuse again? Don't want to read the manual. Go back to Winblows or OSX.
Wait is or because your software only runs on windows xp?
A new user to *nix I would expect to use debian saege, ubuntu minimal or even Fedora.
But a seasoned user , trying to learn more about *nix should be using gentoo, arch, or bsd.
Expert users use multiple platforms so tev.
>>
Buggy piece of shit.
>>
File: GNOME.png (1MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
GNOME.png
1MB, 1920x1080px
>>62175008
observe
>>
>>62181011
A S P E C T R A T I O
>>
>>62175008
There is absolutely no point in using it.
Pantheon is just a Gnome fork. It doesn't solve any of Gnome problems (like wasted space at the top of the screen) but brings new bugs. Default icon theme is nice, though.
Also, Ubuntu LTS base gives you a lot of outdated packages but gives you none of Debian stability.
>>
File: fcp_hero_large.png (505KB, 903x527px) Image search: [Google]
fcp_hero_large.png
505KB, 903x527px
>>62175008
>>62175097
Elementary OS is literally designed after macOS.
The problem is that it lacks the professional apps that help make macOS great.
>>
>>62181325
>>62178683
Pantheon is not a GNOME fork. Its written from scratch.
>>
been using it for several months now. No significant bugs to speak of. The UI is smooth as fuck too.
>>
It was cool before they decided to fuck up pantheon design
>>
>>62175008
crappy distro trying to imitate macos
get the real thing or install a good distro instead of that crap
>>
>>62182041
at this point it doesn't even really look like OSX so the imitation accusation doesn't really stick
>>
>>62175008
Wtf is wrong with the finder icon, can't stop laughing lmao
>>
File: dasdwef.png (844KB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
dasdwef.png
844KB, 1366x768px
the unriced default is good enough
>>
>>62181994
It's not. It even uses almost the same fucking shell.
>>62182238
this looks much better than OP's plebean rice.
Thread posts: 52
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.