[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Just got 400 Mpbs internet. What router should I get to take

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 4

File: common pepe.png (44KB, 540x540px) Image search: [Google]
common pepe.png
44KB, 540x540px
Just got 400 Mpbs internet. What router should I get to take advantage of my speed?
>>
>>62170683
Netgear night hawk
>>
File: pfsense-logo.png (13KB, 406x226px) Image search: [Google]
pfsense-logo.png
13KB, 406x226px
>>62170683
custom pfsense build.
>>62170706
are you high?
>>
>>62170706
Which one? X10 seems like overkill. Would the X6 be sufficient? What about the Asus RT-AC88U: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B016EWKQAQ/
>>
>>62170818
custom build ftw. Get a 1 or 10gbit card with 2 ports, a decent switch, and reuse old router as an access point (for wifi).
>>
>>62170818
Thirding pfSense.
A spare pc with two NICs is all you need, and the rest is hand holdingly easy.
>>
>>62171198
What about a new CPU flag requirement on future versions of pf sense?
>>
I have a netgear nighthawk, great router.
>>
>>62170683 There is no router which can handle 400mbit openvpn over shadowsocks for a reasonable price. Build your own x86 router. Proper dual core cpu with aes-ni will do the job. Clocks, ram and storage is not critical at all.
>>62170818
>pfsense
Useless without WMware and additional linux VMs with shadowsocks, i2pd, pihole. Shit becomes too complicated. Just use LEDE
>>
>>62171249

Link with an explanation how to build something like that?
>>
>>62171272

Just get an Asus AC router and install a custom firmware.

These people recommending pfsense are retarded.
>>
>>62171284
Which AC speed? 3100 good enough?
>>
>>62171214
Don't know about that, i hadn't used it myself for a while until I recently stared using it in a VM on my QNAP, haven't been keeping up.

If you don't have a spare machine handy a good alternative would be to make a cheap custom build with a low end dual or quad CPU and 2 gigs of RAM.

>>62171249
pfSense has an automated traffic shaper wizard and with blockerng does the same thing as pihole.

>>62171284
Depends on OP's knowledge really. If OP wants something super simple and foolproof, I completely agree with you.
If OP can handle it, pfSense is a superior option though.
>>
>>62171314
Yeah. That number is the max speed of both the 2.4 and 5GHz bands combined. If you have lots of devices that will be more than enough.
>>
>>62171395
> tfw when you buy AC router but you have 0 AC compatible devices
>>
>>62171272
There is no single guide for it.
Install LEDE. It's a openwrt fork so there is lots of info.
https://downloads.lede-project.org/releases/17.01.2/targets/x86/64/
Gunzip & dd it to the flash. Install extra packages like drivers, tor, openvpn, shadowsocks.
https://wiki.openwrt.org/
Set up openvpn and shadowsocks separately, them make openvpn use shadowsocks as proxy. Do same thing on your VPS and/or remote clients.
https://shadowsocks.org/
>>
>>62171249
Why the hell do you want OpenVPN over Shadowsocks?
>>
>>62171596 Why opennvpn? Shadowsocks is a proxy while openvpn tap is a proper level 2 connection.
Or why shadowsocks? Because it is great for traffic obfuscation. And it is also great for mobile devices - it reconnects much faster than openvpn while still maintaining perfect forward secretacy.
>>
>>62171707
Well more specifically, why do you need both simultaneously? Also, how would you do this?

I currently have an OpenVPN server on my pfSense box and Shadowsocks on an Ubuntu server. Can I do this or would I need to go from me -> VPS (Shadowsocks) -> pfSense (OpenVPN)?
>>
File: 1500738560029.png (42KB, 406x453px) Image search: [Google]
1500738560029.png
42KB, 406x453px
>>62171864
Many applications don't working well with proxy so you need to to use tun/tap interface like openvpn. But bare openvpn is easily detected by DPI systems like Cisco ASA so it might be throttled by isp, blocked by it department, or just mark you as a potential threat to the regime by goverment.
Small amounts of shadowsocks traffic on top of lots of innocent data from vk or youtube is pretty hard to detect.
>Also, how would you do this?
Standard openvpn setup with mssfix 0 & tunmtu 1350, proxy set to shadowsocks port, listen only on localhost.
Standard shadowsocks setup on port 433. Just don't forget to enable udp if you need it.
Debian 8 server (there is something wrong with 9 but i haven't investigated yet), openwrt and mac/win clients with viscosity (openvpn client should be able to run pre/post connection scripts to start/stop shadowsocks)
>me -> VPS (Shadowsocks) -> pfSense (OpenVPN)?
Your openvpn client will connect to your local shadowsocks client, which will connect to shadowsocks server and then server will redirect data to openvpn server.
>>
>>62170683
A gaming router/chair combo.
It amplifies the connection to accelerate the electrons going through your internet processor
>>
>>62170683
One dem dead spider routers son. I have 215/20 and an asus ac68r and im comfy af
>>
>>62172567
you also need gaming glasses to enhance the superfast internet electrons on your screen
>>
File: 1501730456985.png (7KB, 420x420px) Image search: [Google]
1501730456985.png
7KB, 420x420px
>>62170683
>DOCSIS

Enjoy your 20Mbit/s at 9pm
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.