[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Planing to set up a cheap Kodi box for my uncle, is Orange

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2

File: google.ba.jpg (8KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
google.ba.jpg
8KB, 225x225px
Planing to set up a cheap Kodi box for my uncle, is Orange PI PC a good choice.
>>
>>62169469
Better get a finished Chinese HTPC with case and all included.
>>
File: tx3mini.jpg (11KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
tx3mini.jpg
11KB, 500x500px
>>62169490 (cont'd)
Kodi often also comes preinstalled on these BTW.

Could get something like this 30 burgermoney device. With the case and all it's not really more expensive anyhow.
>>
>Hooking your own uncle into piracy
>>
>>62169469
odroid
>>
>>62169602
OP's picture was pirated on a board full of pirated images. What did you expect?
>>
>>62169469
RPi is British master race.
>>
>>62169604
Also generally more expensive than my suggestion of just getting a finished HTPC.

By the time you have a box, shipping fees, PSU, storage and so on covered to the same degree it probably costs nearly twice as much, and it's not like he'll ever use the serial pins or whatever.
>>
>>62169469
>type "Kodi on Orange Pi" into google
>first result is instructions for compiling Kodi 17 for Orange Pi and steps to take to make sure you get basic functionality
>type "Kodi on Raspberry Pi 3" into google
>first result is a wordy walkthrough of downloading an ISO onto an SD card and booting from it
Listen OP, don't be a dumb shit. You're not going to gain or save anything by trying to be unique, especially when it involves other people and obscure technology. Just take the low hanging fruit that is an RPI 3 or >>62169490
and be happy with how effortless it is for you uncle.
>>
>>62169469
Kodi is dead
>>
>>62169898
There is a image of Libreelec for Orange Pi, don't need to compile anything. I have Rpi3 for myself but I found Orange PI with the case, power adapter and 8gb SD card for 30 bucks. Uncle doesn't need 4k video, just 720p.
>>
>>62169932
wut
>>
>>62169681
>british
This makes me want to stay away from it.
>>
>>62169469 OrangePi peripheral devices drivers is a total unuseble mess. Even with armbian. So its is fine to use it as headless server but miltimedia or low-leve stuff is a no go. Get a Raspberry. 20 extra bucks will save you days of time.
>>
>>62169469
Don't

I've used every single mainstream SBC out there and they are all shit, slow as fuck, not compatible to some formats, they have little support or it doesn't last that long... just get either a HTPC or a chink microPC
Even if people never actually cared for them, the Vita is a surprisingly solid HTPC for about $70 bucks, you can play all the Vita, PSP, PS1 and even some ported PS2 games, has a solid 3rd party community and multiple homebrews (including emulators for older consoles) and uses very little energy.
>Inb4 sony shill
I prefer a full sized HTPC, but for it's price is pretty amazing, can' believe almost no one recommends it.
>>
No love for nanoPi? :^(
>>
>>62169602
You don't wanna do this unless you know for sure they're tech savvy enough to find stuff them self after you teach them. You'll be the guy family members pester to find movies/music/etc.
>>
>>62169932
Nigger are you actually retarded?
>>
>>62169469
any of these thiny arm shits will not play your videos well if the format is not supported by the hardware acceleration part.
>>
>>62169469
Orangepi 2 will decode hevc at 4k with kodi. Highly recommend. Everyone posting these expensive or poo-tier boxes are retarded. Set him up with a simple remote as well. Also.. Don't force him to rely on shitty plugins that constantly break. Make your own share with his own user and give him access to your shit.
>>
>>62169469
I remember trying kodi on Rpi3 before, booting up, updating library and starting movies was horribly slow due to sdcard speeds.
Also, video would get choppy on some codecs during 1080p playback (but on others it would work fine)

I have since switched to some intel nuc with cheapest ssd i could find as my htpc and never looked back.
>>
>>62169898
You raspberry cucks are just as bad as Apple cucks
You overpay for what you get
I've got 6 orange pi (2 zeros and 4 lites) and they all work great and took less setup time than my old raspberry pi 2
>>
>>62178266
and it will be useless when some other meme codec becomes popular instead.
>>
>>62178332
>>62178332
work great for you as dust collectors i bet
>>
Which pi clone supports the most video codecs? Rpi3 can't handle muh animes
>>
>>62178431
One zero manages a home website
The other zero turned my old printer into a wireless one
One lite controls my 3D printer
Another runs my radio
Another lite controls my security cameras
And my last one is being used to fuck around with and convert text to Morse code and vice versa over the radio waves
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.