[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1TV 6JFxMEcI Why is Murrika

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 262
Thread images: 32

File: maxresdefault.jpg (197KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
197KB, 1280x720px
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1TV6JFxMEcI

Why is Murrika such a retarded country?
>>
Rankine is better than Kelvin though.
>>
>use the metric system and celsius scale, goy
>they're more (((scientific)))
Nice cultural marxism
>>
>>62169540
That's right, Jesus hates fags and the metric system.
>>
I don't think this is really worth a thread. I hope it gets bumped into oblivion.
>>
basically a chick thats been here for less than a decade talks about why America uses fahrenheit and stil doesn't understand it?
>>
>>62169698
it's a
"my measuring system with agreed arbitrary reference points is better than your measuring system with agreed arbitrary reference points"
and adds a few fuck ups that come with conversion errors
>>
>>62169720
What's arbitrary about the freezing and boiling points of water?
>>
>>62169414
excuse me. America is a 1 billion continent and only ~320 million (so, about a third) are using the imperial system. So, this "America still uses fahrenheit" statement is wrong and you should check your "calling a country by a continent's name" proviledge.
>>
>>62169856
the fact you're choosing water
why not ethanol? why not the absolute minimum? why not body temperature?
choosing the boiling and freezing point of water is just as arbitrary as choosing the coldest night of winter and the hottest day of summer
t. I actually use metric
>>
>>62169414
>B-but with Fahrenheit outside atmospheric temperatures are almost always between 0 and 100! This is important somehow and temperature isn't used for anything than weather! Also I don't like negative numbers they confuse me
>>
>>62169889
Because water is the most abundant liquid and everywhere in our lives, ethanol isn't. It's also not raining ethanol.
Body temperature changes and isn't a constant.

By the way Fahrenheit tried to have 100F be the average body temperature but he of course failed. You're using a temperature scale of a loser who failed.
>>
>>62169941
At least try to read my entire comment. I said I use metric. I live on a country that has used metric for over a hundred years. But going on and on about how metric is better than imperial is literally rebbit tier levels of "my way to do stuff is better than yours, old man! at least mine makes sense lmao"
want to make sense? Use K, since energy is also way more abundant than matter, and temperature is a measure of energy to begin with, Kelvin's abstraction is way better in that sense.
>>
can anyone explain how celcius makes conversions easier? when do you ever convert temperatures?
>>
>>62169899
>This is important somehow and temperature isn't used for anything than weather!
How is that not the case for most people? It's like that, and baking, and for baking it's not like you need to reference the boiling point of water constantly.
>>
>>62169414
>muh Celsius
Fahrenheit is better for anything everyday temperature.

Take for example 0-100 Fahrenheit degrees.

0 is very cold
32F is freezing water temp, aka cold
50F is cool temp.
70F is warm temp.
900F is hot temp
100+F is very hot

In short, 0 = very cold, 100+ = very hot. 50-70 is mild.

Ideal temp is between 50-70s. If you have no thermometer, you can use your body temperature to measure the outside temp since our body temp is ~98F, we can easily calculate what outside temp is in relation to our body.
>>
>>62170050
It doesn't, people that need to convert from celsius to farenheit are like people that haven't gotten fluent at their second language yet and have to literally translate word for word to understand stuff instead of immersing on the language and getting past that
like a kid that doesn't have the slightest grasp on math so he has to count with his fingers
>>
>>62170039
Celsius is an offset of Kelvin at least, because it IS a bit unintuitive and weird to say "I can't believe it was over 300 Kelvin today, just a week ago it was barely 280".
So with Celsius you can just use your familiar scale and only add an offset, and then use it in scientific formulas, because ΔK = Δ°C. Whereas with Fahrenheit you're all over the place.

>I live on a country that has used metric for over a hundred years
So I'm guessing leaf or bong, something like that? Either way I'm not bracing for quality discussion
>>
>>62169414

>rest of the world
height in m/cm

>burgerland
height in foot
>>
>>62169414
>posting a vox video
Murrika could be the most retarded country in the world, and you'd still be a thousand times worse, cunt.
>>
>>62170126
Naturally, there are equivalences in any temperature system. In celcius, people also pay attention to decimals.
>>
>>62170087
>Food
>Drinks
>Refrigerator
>Freezer
>Heater
>Boiler
>Shower
>Water temperature (sea, lake, swimming pool)
>Cooling fluid
>Oil
>Hardware components

There, just a few that concern you daily. Not mentioning any other kind of machinery or natural phenomena. Atmospheric weather temperature is really a tiny part of what we use temperature scales for.
>>
>>62170284
>unintuitive
>familiar
So intuition and familiarity are relevant on measuring systems? Not very reasonalbe, is it?
>>
>>62170406
If you love Kelvin so much, either try to get the whole world to use it for everything, or use Celsius which is much closer to it than Fahrenheit.

Saying "Celsius isn't any better than Fahrenheit because Kelvin is best" is asinine.
>>
>>62170385
>Food
>Drinks
Rarely do I care about the exact temperatures of these, maybe with food but even then the temperature scale doesn't make much of a difference as long as you know the proper reference points.
>Refrigerator
>Freezer
You monitor those on a daily basis?
>Heater
This basically comes down to atmospheric temperature but inside, unless you're talking about the internal temperature of the heater.
>Boiler
In the context of a source of hot water? That's kind of a set and forget thing, not a daily check.
>Shower
I can't speak for everyone but I have never cared about the exact temperature of my shower. Not even about approximation, just "does it feel hot enough?".
>Water temperature (sea, lake, swimming pool)
I guess.
>Cooling fluid
>Oil
>Hardware components
The first two definitely not for me, the latter maybe a bit more but fahrenheit or celsius doesn't make that much of a difference there to me.
>>
>>62170448
and saying something is better because a lot more people use it is asinine too
>>
>>62170344
>celcius
0 = cold/freezing
40 = very hot

30 = warm

15 = chilly

Less intuitive than 0-100 scaling of Fahrenheit but works somewhat.
>>
>>62170448
Aah, but that's the difference between me and the retards that sperg out at the thought of not having a single measuring system. I respect the will of states and nations to use whatever measuring system they feel like. I'm not a brainlet, I know how to multiply and divide with my head, and if they end up losing money because they can't do the 1 line formula it takes to do the conversion, better for me, that means that the people with the brainpower to use more than a single system is king
>>
>>62170126
But why is the freezing point, which is really what interests me most, at such an odd number like 32? Also the range of temperatures in places where people live is closer to something like -40° to 40°. Not -17° to 38°. So your scale is skewed in favor of warmer climates. Maybe if 50F were the freezing temperature you'd have a point.

That's why Celsius uses water, which is what everyone from any culture or climate is familiar and concerned with. Everybody boils water, and it has a severe impact on our lives whether the temperature outside is below freezing or not.
>>
>girl claims she's only 100kg
>she's fucking enormous

Fuck metric.
>>
>>62170689
>only 100kg
That's a lot though. Normal girls are 60-70. Even I'm 80, and I'm quite flabby(and not a woman).
>>
>>62170580
>Less intuitive than 0-100 scaling of Fahrenheit but works somewhat.
What the fuck are you talking about? In celcius, 0 is the freezing point of water and 100 C is the boiling point. It doesn't get more intuitive than that. Compared to 32 and 212 F? What are you smoking? Also, how is Fahrenheit "0-100 scaling"? Surely you're mentally retarded.
>>
>>62170126
none of what you said explains WHY you think its better..
>>
>>62170689
So Fahrenheit is good because 100F denotes a very hot temperature that is rarely exceeded.
100 kg denotes a weight of a very heavy human that is rarely exceeded and now this is bad?

>>62170728
70 would be too heavy for almost any woman except a really tall and thick one.
Normal girls are more like 45-65.
>>
File: images_2.jpg (9KB, 262x193px) Image search: [Google]
images_2.jpg
9KB, 262x193px
I use Rankine.
>>
>>62170126
>we can easily calculate what outside temp is in relation to our body

No, you can't calculate anything. It's like saying you can measure the weight of an object by lifting it to see if it feels heavy. Why would lifting an object make it easier for you to estimate its weight in pounds rather than kilos?
>>
>>62170126
yeah except 0°F is cold, 32°F is brisk and anything above 85°F is fucking heatstroke. Try living somewhere that isn't a jungle.
>>
>>62170654
Fahrenheit measured salty ice water i think and his wife's armpit and made those 0 and 100 respectively, 32 just happened to be where water freezes on that scale.
>>62170738
It's intuitive for daily use. I don't have to worry about what temperature water boils at every day, I have to worry about whether it's warm or cold. Having the entirety of the average weather range between 15 and 30 is not intuitive, it's ridiculously small scale. When the difference between 20 and 25 is a sweater and a t-shirt, the numbers don't mean much.
There's a very noticeable difference on the other hand between 40, 50, 60, 70, 80 degrees Fahrenheit on the other hand that makes it a really easy scale to use when talking about temperature.
It's definitely not fit for lab use, obviously.
>>
>>62170877
Anything below 60F is brisk, 40F or less is fucking cold.
Try 120F for heatstroke tier.
>>
>>62170891
I have never known a single person to wear a sweater in 20C weather.

But if you want to get technical, your range has ever less resolution. You really only need a range of 5 or 6 values, since you yourself are just correlating arbitrary Fahrenheit values to "cold", "hot", "very hot".
>>
>>62170891

>There's a very noticeable difference on the other hand between 40, 50, 60, 70, 80

So if I gave you a temps in celcius of 4, 10 ,15, 21 and 26, you would have a hard time figuring out what to wear ???
>>
>>62170891
So do you guys have trouble using mph because 20 and 30 is the difference between a school zone and a residential zone instead of 30 and 50? And because you have to use speed limits like 35 and 55 because 10 mph is too large an offset? No? Because that's not how numbers work? Huh

Fucking retard
>>
>>62170979
Yes because I am mot familiar with Celsius.
>>
>>62170891
Fahrenheit sounds really inconvenient for a country with actual seasons and a temperature range of maybe -35°C to 35°C. The zero degree point is super convenient due to the whole rain/snow/ice thing.
>>
>>62170979
If I didn't convert them I'd be unsure about the higher end.
>>62170962
Maybe it is just growing up with Fahrenheit that makes it easier for me to grasp, but considering daily temperature on a scale of 100 makes a lot of sense to me.
Like 10 degrees Fahrenheit? It's 10% of max heat or whatever, that's fucking cold. 90 degrees? That's very, very hot. 50-60? Temperate zone. It puts it in a scale that I'm used to dealing with in other facets of life.
I get, ironically, that the appeal of Celsius is that freezing and boiling are reasonably pegged to 0 and 100 and I think it's the ideal system for scientific work. But Fahrenheit isn't determined by freezing and boiling, it's determined by cold and hot stuff a guy dealt with and that makes it more relatable for day to day life.
>>
>>62169414
>unironicly posting a Vox video.
>>
vox is kinda facinating, they always manage to stuff race and identity politics into unsuspecting topics, like that video on the interstate system where they suddenly went full retard and started complaining about white flight
>>
>>62171082
I live in Los Angeles so yeah I don't have to deal with much weather. But you end up going into negatives in both systems in cold weather, I don't really see how one would be more convenient.

Clearly a lot of this boils down to what you learned as a kid because that'll always be easier to use and I would not have a problem with switching to Celsius, but acting like Fahrenheit is some barbaric system the US invented so they could reject the metric system is a real overreaction. It works very well for expressing the temperatures people deal with in an understandable way.
>>
>>62171038
so your argument in favor of fahrenheit revolves around " I am more familiar with it, therefore it is the best"

>>62171093
> But Fahrenheit isn't determined by freezing and boiling, it's determined by cold and hot stuff a guy dealt with and that makes it more relatable for day to day life.

why not just make your own idiot scale then ?
make 0 = a nice summer day , since that is your ideal temp.

If its hotter than your ideal day its greater than 1
or if its colder than your ideal summer day, make it less than 0
what a great system , based on nothing except your perception of how you feel during the seasons
>"August 3rd temp is 9 !, wow what a scorcher !"
>"we reached a record low of -11 in December this year"
>>
>>62171237
you really skewered my argument friend
>>
File: 1502908678868.jpg (203KB, 381x424px) Image search: [Google]
1502908678868.jpg
203KB, 381x424px
>freezing and boiling temp of water is far more relevant to everyday life across different regions with different climates and during different season than outside weather.
>(if it mattered) what the fuck is so confusion about 40 being hot af summer day, 20 room temperature, -10 cold af winter day?
>all non-everyday things (ie science-based) are only logical in celsius (or kelvin), so unless you wanna use 2 vastly different systems or live in the stone age, celsius is the way to go
>as far as metric, there is literally no fuckin argument for imperial units, it's just outdated autism
>goy/sjw/jew/shill/cuck are not arguments, please fuck off back to /pol/ you brainlet nazi cosplayers
/thread
>>
File: 800px-Pakkanen.jpg (163KB, 800x1592px) Image search: [Google]
800px-Pakkanen.jpg
163KB, 800x1592px
>>62171211
I'd agree it boils down to what you're used to and perhaps to lesser extent the climate of the place you live in.

Look at pic related, isn't it nice and symmetrical? Besides, the temperature being either negative or positive is really reflected in nature when using celsius.
>>
>>62171391
It does seem well suited for colder climates.
>>62171384
>freezing and boiling temp of water is far more relevant to everyday life across different regions with different climates and during different season than outside weather.
How though? You must just mean the freezing point because you never really have to deal with the boiling point of water. Even if you just mean the freezing point, do you really look at the thermometer and go "oh shit it's 5 degrees away from water freezing" or "oh good we're not even close to frozen water"? I don't get how that thought process would work, and even if it did, how is Celsius better at it?
>>
>>62171093
The biggest fucking meme is the argument that it is good to use one scale for "normal people" in "everyday life" and one that you use in science.
No this is a bad and creates scientifically illiterate people or at least makes them less interested in science as it is harder to relate to.

What do you Americans do in science class? I suppose start with imperial numbers that you can relate to, then convert them to metric because that's what all the formulas use, and then convert the result back. And then you can't even quickly convert that familiar unit to another familiar unit, because instead of your multiplier being 10 they're all over the place. How many fluid ounces in a gallon? How many feet in a mile? Who the fuck knows. (inb4 of course every American knows there are 5280 feet in a mile) And even if you do know, you can't do the conversion in an instant in your head.
Or worse, you start with metric unics that mean nothing to you and end with metric units that mean nothing to you, rendering the whole problem abstract and useless.

Just an example:
"A swimming pool is 10 m long, 5 m wide and 2 m deep. What is the weight of the water in the pool in tonnes?"
That is a problem that a second or third grader can do IN HIS HEAD. Try the same with imperial units and an American adult couldn't do it with a calculator (because how many pounds does a gallon of water weigh? Again nobody knows). That's the power of metric, making science and math more relatable and enabling you to solve these kind of problems in your head, out there in the world while you're just waiting for the bus or whatever.
>>
>>62171478
anyone who drives a car (instead of rotting in the parents basement) cares about the freezing point of water and whether or not they'll be driving on ice. Also, it gives you a good idea of when rainfall will turn to snowfall/sleet.
Boiling point isn't as important besides cooking food (which is a thing people who don't live in their mother's basement do from time to time).
>>
>>62171384
Celsius is just as arbitrary as Fahrenheit you autist. The main advantage of the metric system is scaling across different scales of size, which is irrelevant since both C and F are broken up into tenths of a degree when measuring small temp changes.
This is only true at sea level.
>>
>>62169720
>The US uses a base 10 number system, decimal
>Celsius can be very easily calculated and gauged in decimal
hmmmmm
>>
>>62171605
>This is only true at sea level.
For the freezing point it makes no difference.
For the boiling point it does very a bit, if you live in Denver it boils at 95° instead of 100.
>>
>>62171578
No, we usually just use celsius or kelvin in chemistry classes. Fahrenheit in a problem occasionally but just to add a step for converting.
You'd never really need to know how many oz to fill a gallon though, like are you filling a jug with spoons?
It's not like metric units mean nothing to me or Americans, length and volume and mass everything are pretty easy to deal with.
But yeah again I'm not against the metric system in any way and the way conversions work between volume and mass and what not is really ideal. I wholly support it being used as a global system. But you fools act like the US is a pack of unwashed savages devoted to personally spiting you by using a different temperature system.
>>62171584
Yeah but like you're not hovering over your thermostat while you're driving being like OH SHIT IT'S 0. You're going to be paying attention to weather conditions. And when you're cooking, you're not going to measuring the temperature of the stove until it hits exactly 100, you're just going to turn it on and wait for the water to boil. Neither of these processes needs to be at an exact number for you to deal with them, and Celsius's numbers aren't any better at it than Fahrenheit's. Seeing 32 tells me it's freezing just like seeing 0 tells you it's freezing.
>>
>>62171605
>Celsius: at 0° water freezes, at 100° it boils
>Fahrenheit: at 0°....uh... my nipples hurt, at 100°... uh... i need to splish splash cold water on my face or I get dizzy
>"Celsius is just as arbitrary as Fahrenheit"
please don't breed
>>
>>62171578
Great example, even if it doesn't really concern the different temperature systems. Anyone familiar with imperial units care to break it down using your units?

Combined with this >>62170284 though, celsius(/kelvin) + metric is really top tier.
>>
>>62169414
>Vox
Give me one reason why I should take this post seriously? No way in hell am I clicking that video btw.
>>
>>62169414
Fahrenheit is the smallest increment that is still humanly perceptible.
>>
>>62170284
>and then use it in scientific formulas, because ΔK = Δ°C. Whereas with Fahrenheit you're all over the place.
ΔR = Δ°F retard. Again, metric has advantages over Imperial, but Celsius have very few advantages over Fahrenheit. Fahrenheit is the least offensive Imperial unit which is why it makes no sense that someone would devote an entire video to it.
>>
>>62171717
Is that at sea level or on a mountain?
>>
>bawww I don't like that frozen water is 32 degrees it triggers muh yurocuck autism ;_;
No one cares
>>
On an unrelated note: Anyone here non-American and bothered sometimes when they DON'T use imperial units where they should?

I know how big a 24" monitor is, I know how big a 50" TV is. Now shops have started to use cm, with the inches in smaller print, but I've even seen them not display the imperial unit altogether sometimes. I'm sorry but I have no fucking idea if your ad is a good deal because I don't know if a 124 cm TV is tiny or huge. Now I have to divide this by 2.54 to get an idea, thanks a lot.

It's like if your buddy came up to you and told you how he got some sickass new 50 cm wheels for his car.
>>
>>62171796
https://www.hooktube.com/watch?v=1TV6JFxMEcI

Literally replace the you with hook in any youtube link.
>>
>>62171819
>ΔR = Δ°F
And if anyone ever at any time used Ranking this might even be relevant
>>
>>62171717
>Fahrenheit flips from positive numbers to negative numbers
>means nothing happened
>>
>>62171819
The inch is the least offensive Imperial unit.
>>
>bawwwww I can't easily convert miles to inches because it triggers much autism and muh yurocuck sensibilities have no concept of scaling with usage ;_;
>>
>>62171858
Irrelevant for the freezing point as the difference would be less than 0.01 degrees.
Sea level for the boiling point. You know, sea level. That place where most major human habitats grew.
>>
>>62171897
A lot of air conditioners, heaters and boilers in the US use BTU's to measure heat ouput which means you may need Rankine.
>>
>>62171883
No. TV screens are often advertised on screens even tho this is a metric country. Nobody cares anyways, if you're curious, you google it, and since every TV is on inches, there's no 1 deviously advertising on cm and another one on inches. You just need to know that 50">49"

>It's like if your buddy came up to you and told you how he got some sickass new 50 cm wheels for his car.
I don't see why this makes any more sense in inches. Besides, even on the US, most car manufacturers work with metric on their designs. What's with autists getting mad they can't express round numbers and get assblasted.
>>
>>62171976
>often advertised on screens
meant inches
>>
>>62170330
>Murrica could be the most retarded country in the world
>Murrica could be the most retarded country
>could be
it is.
>>
File: imperial_vs_metric2.png (69KB, 720x681px) Image search: [Google]
imperial_vs_metric2.png
69KB, 720x681px
Imperial vs Metric is such a fucking useless argument. Especially since you're taught metric in America and use it in a lot of professions.
>>
>>62171976
I don't feel like you've understood my post.
Yes this has literally happened to me that a screen was only advertised in cm and it tells me nothing unless I convert it to inches, because screens have been measured in inches in Europe since forever and that's what they should stick to.

>I don't see why this makes any more sense in inches.
Do you have a car? Because wheels are manufactured and sold in inches. Like monitors.
>>
>>62171915
It's approximately the temperature in which saltwater freezes which is useful if you live on the shore. Landlubbers get rekt.
>>
File: 1446578081653s.jpg (7KB, 221x147px) Image search: [Google]
1446578081653s.jpg
7KB, 221x147px
>>62169414
I love how eurotrash brag about being multilingual but sperg the fuck out when confronted with a different measuring system.
>>
>>62170126
>Ideal temp is between 50-70s
Why do you feel the need to make shit up? 70 is the very low end of acceptable room temperature, usually it's a bit higher. What kind of freak prefers 50 F to 60 F, ever? In what situation?

The ideal temperature is something like 65 to 80F. Compared to 15 to 25 C. Wow so much better
>>
>>62172157
>ideal temp is 65 to 80F
>75-80F ideal
what the fuck
>>
>>62172132
Yeah when I take the ferry in the morning I need to know whether the ocean has frozen over that day or not
>>
>>62170891
>celsius not useful in daily life
>how to spot the califag
How do you tell if there is ice on the roads?
>>
>>62172086
I did understand it. Truth is, there's no context in wich you "have to" use either system, unless required by law. That's why I went out of the way saying how it's not relevant, as long as you don't have different manufacturers all advertising their same product in a bunch of different systems. I know how big a 24" inch is, I can also convert it to cm. Why would I tho?

>Because wheels are manufactured and sold in inches
Not where I live. Anyways, does saying 50 cm instead of 20 inch or 43cm instead of 17inch trigger you?
>>
>>62169577
>ironic mockery of le fundie christians
Man you really got me there, I'm convinced now. Let's destroy all our cultural quirks so everything is the same everywhere because uh Dr. Shekelstein told me its important for global warming or something.
>>
File: 1252048219845.jpg (19KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
1252048219845.jpg
19KB, 400x300px
So acting retarded aside, does /g/ agreed that imperial system is freaking dumb to be used for scientific purpose?
Only housewives and rednecks used them.
>>
>>62172182
Problem? 75F, if you go swimming in the summer, isn't quite ideal. Doesn't feel like a proper summer's day. It can even be chilly if it's overcast and there's wind. 80 is better in that situation.
>>
>>62172157
>70 is the very low end of acceptable room temperature, usually it's a bit higher.
What the fuck is wrong with you? Air conditioners are almost always at 65-70.
>>
>>62172215
I use imperial because it makes libcucks sperg the fuck out. Metric is literally as much of an arbitrary measurement as Imperial so I'll just go ahead and keep my culture thanks.
>>
>>62172192
I mean check the weather and temperature and listen to a traffic report. Why is Celsius better for that? You can still check the temperature if you need to in Fahrenheit.
>>
>>62172245
Culture =/= science.
>>
>measuring systems are culture now
yeah, no surprise the entire world says America has no culture
>>
>>62172200
Well it's annoying because screens have always been sold in inches and I know exactly how big a 22" or 24" monitor is. Now in recent years they've started doing the cm thing, and I suspect it's just to trick retards because it's literally a bigger number (the reason kW never caught on compared to PS).
>>
File: girl_eating_chocolate_2.jpg (146KB, 300x450px) Image search: [Google]
girl_eating_chocolate_2.jpg
146KB, 300x450px
>>62172245
Which Imperial system that your CPU used?
>>
>>62172229
They literally are not and 65 is way too cold a room temperature, especially in summer. In winter or for sleeping it might be ok. Retarded to cool it down that much in summer. It was 23°C in our air-conditioned office today and that's not a degree too few.
>>
>>62172292
Which language that your post used?
>>
>>62172127
>It's approximately the temperature in which saltwater freezes which is useful if you live on the shore. Landlubbers get rekt.

except that "Ocean water freezes just like freshwater, but at lower temperatures. Fresh water freezes at 32 degrees Fahrenheit but seawater freezes at about 28.4 degrees Fahrenheit,"

Even if you tried to saturated water with as much salt as possible (meaning no more salt can dissolve into it) the freezing point would be -6F

So that 0 number means absolutely nothing.
>>
>>62172266
Back in the day every village had a different definition for what a pound was. What a shame when all that culture was lost when that got unified.
>>
>>62169414

Whos math got to space again? Oh thats right. Shut your mouth.

USA USA USA
>>
>>62172308
American.
>>
>>62172345
NASA tried to use imperial once and they blew up millions of dollars worth of equipment.
LET THAT BE A LESSON
>>
>>62172345
the Russians , first satellite, and first man into space.
>>
>>62172269
Surprised they didn't began doing that before. Don't they do that with the ingredients, sodium content, fat content and all that?
Frankly feels like an extension of that. Lazy people will just buy by the looks, dumb people with extra money buy by the biggest number available. That'll happen regardless of the system they show the specs in.
>>
>>62172365
kek
>>
>>62172371
Metric confirmed for dirty commie unit.
>>
>>62172340
Yeah, look at European countries now. They are quite literally all the same, their own little systems were what made them unique
>>
>>62169414
I can see where metric is better than imperial. But really, Fahrenheit and Celsius are both just as arbitrary and unintuitive outside their reference system. And Fahrenheit is actually better for everyday use.
>>
>>62172306
>It was 23°C in our air-conditioned office today
t. Japan
>>
File: 1502312057002.jpg (71KB, 818x640px) Image search: [Google]
1502312057002.jpg
71KB, 818x640px
"OK"
stopped watching there
>>
>>62172370
Wasn't Nasa's fault

>The primary cause of this discrepancy was that one piece of ground software supplied by Lockheed Martin produced results in a United States customary unit, contrary to its Software Interface Specification (SIS), while a second system, supplied by NASA, expected those results to be in SI units, in accordance with the SIS

And that is why standards exist

>>62172397
>everyday use
Every time you fucking say that I know its you
>>
>>62172345
NASA computers used metric. Had imperial displays tho, with all the crossover from avionics hardware and personel. Science is also made with metric. The military uses metric. At the end of the day, all relevant institutions in the US use metric mang
>>
>>62172401
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Room_temperature

>Owing to variations in humidity and likely clothing, recommendations for summer and winter may vary; a suggested typical range for summer is 23 °C (73 °F) to 25.5 °C (78 °F), with that for winter being 20 °C (68 °F) to 23.5 °C (74 °F),[3] although by other considerations the maximum should be below 24 °C (75 °F) – and for sick building syndrome avoidance, below 22 °C (72 °F).[3]
>>
Alright this is all fine and well, but riddle me this:

Why do Europeans all use military time? Like wtf I thought they were all pussies who hated the military but then the first thing you see at the airport is military time clocks and timetables
>>
>>62172531
>military time
its a fucking 24 hour clock, nothing to do with military
>>
>>62172266
This is literally how Marxists erode individual culture over time. Take everything that makes individual societies unique, split it all up into its smallest individual components, and then begin the slow but consistent piecemeal destruction of the individual components. This strategy works because faggots like you miss the forest for the trees and contest "well that was insignificant anyway, it's not really culture" and allow a little bit more of what we are to crumble away forever.
>>
If you really want to poke an imperial unit fan in the eye ask them the power of a light bulb, when they answer in watts ask them why they didn't answer in foot pounds per second.
>>
>>62172531
is your average american incapable of counting past 12?
>>
File: 1452398443677.jpg (28KB, 307x462px) Image search: [Google]
1452398443677.jpg
28KB, 307x462px
>>62172561
>this entire post
I'm not mocking culture, I'm mocking the fact you believe a measuring system is culture
>>
>>62172201
>let's preserve dumb shit that wasn't ever worth anything in the first place

What's the point?
>>
>>62172606
Well it somewhat is though, isn't it.
Metric is Western European so it's great it became the world standard, but if only Europe used metric and they forced us to change to some other system to be more line line with the Americas and Asia, I'd probably be pissed too.
>>
>>62172606
>I explain in simple terms how metrification is part of Marxist cultural destruction
>"lol I dun geddit, measurement isn't culture"
The power of flouride.
>>
>>62172641
Metrification started before Marx was born
>>
File: Wernher_von_Braun_1960.jpg (153KB, 800x1020px) Image search: [Google]
Wernher_von_Braun_1960.jpg
153KB, 800x1020px
>>62172345
Read a book you subhuman.

I like the american units for diversity.
Sure its sometimes annoying to calculate from metric to imperial but it keeps the brain working.

t. european
>>
File: celsius_water.png (17KB, 631x228px) Image search: [Google]
celsius_water.png
17KB, 631x228px
Funnily enough, the Celsius scale isn't even based on water.
>>
>>62169941
>what is salt water, whose freezing point at max dissolved is the zero on Fahrenheit?
>>
>>62172641
>"w-wtf, youre not agreeing with me?"
>"s-stop drinking the faucet jew, y-you sjw"
you seem to believe that everything and anything that makes you different from the guy next to you counts as culture
>>
>>62172687
DELET THIS
>>
>>62171605
>This is only true at sea level.
Freezing point is the same. The boiling point only moves a bit in ranges that human habitation happens.

I don't get why Fahrenheit wasn't calculated to 0 and 100 for fresh water at sea level boiling and freezing.
If you boil a pot of water until it's all gone the temp caps out at 100C and doesn't change. Same for ice, until all the water freezes the temp doesn't drop below 0C. It takes as much energy to freeze water as it does to heat it from 0C to 80C and as much energy to boil water at sea level as it does to heat it from 0C to the critical point of water at 374C.

In short not using fresh water boiling and freeze in retarded at least if you wanted to make instruments.
>>
File: exponatul-lunii-ian-2015.jpg (93KB, 480x300px) Image search: [Google]
exponatul-lunii-ian-2015.jpg
93KB, 480x300px
>>62172083
>that pic;
>converting between the same unit of measurement is ore regulated than converting between different units of measurement;
Well, no shit.
>>62172395
>They are quite literally all the same, their own little systems were what made them unique
Ironically, one of the colloquial stories about the guy that unified this country was how he shamed merchants that used different units of measurement to swindle customers, and enforced this to prevent them from being jews.

And it's not that hard to standardize this stuff.
The first emperor of China autististically standardized EVERYTHING in his realm 2300 years ago, and until commies came, China was still a microcosmos unto itself.
>>
>>62172561
i mean should we keep every single facet of an individual culture permanently just because it's tradition?
>>
>>62172703
I looked this up and I'm getting -6°F for this.
>>
File: ISO-paper-size.jpg (184KB, 2101x1925px) Image search: [Google]
ISO-paper-size.jpg
184KB, 2101x1925px
>tfw you can fold a sheet of paper and is retains the original aspect ratio.

It's a feeling of superiority.

How do Americans deal with impractical paper sizes?
>>
Does people in here actually used imperial unit when they doing /g/ related stuff or you guys just pretending to be retarded?
>>
>>62172663
>Metrification started before Marx was born

Yes, wasn't it spread by Napoleon?
>>
>>62172778
It's pretty fucking ingenious.
Image printing 2 pages or 4 or 8 shrunken down on one sheet of paper and it not fitting perfectly and not leaving no empty space.
>>
>>62172752
i already talked about that BS here
>>62172317

sloppy science is not the basis of temp measurement in the US
>>
>>62172531
>Why do Europeans all use military time?

Because it's easier and we are lazy.
>>
>>62172739
Inversely, should we erase every quirk of humanity in the name of "science" and "efficiency" until we are indistinguishable fleshy bags collectively representing a variable in an algorithm attempting to calculate maximum efficiency?
>>
>>62172841
Hitler done nothing wrong.
>>
>>62172841
Well we agree that either extreme is ridiculous, at least. Don't worry, I don't want grey jumpsuits and nutrition paste or whatever. But like I don't want "The Lottery" either, so I think it's important to at least occasionally assess what we do as a culture and why we do it.
>>
Because it's easier. A foot is about the same size as a size 12 shoe, an inch is about the size of a thumb and a mile takes an hour to walk.
>>
>>62172841
If there's one place where standardisation is actually needed it's science and industry.
>>
>>62172826

or just get a printer that does both sides
>>
>>62172881
>a mile takes an hour to walk
hold up what
>>
>>62172841
things like temperature, weight,length are not subjective.

it makes fucking sense to all be on the same page.

>>62172881
>mile takes an hour to walk
no wonder you people drive everywhere
>>
>>62172881
>a mile takes an hour to walk.
For the average american maybe. Is your walking speed seriously 1 mph (about 1.6 km/h)?
>>
>>62172896
Yes
Two pages on one side and two on the other
Fitting perfectly and taking up all the space
>>
File: 1201731411124.jpg (44KB, 480x305px) Image search: [Google]
1201731411124.jpg
44KB, 480x305px
Since when /g/ thinks that science = culture?
No wonder /v/irgins makes fun of you guys.
>>
>>62172881
>a mile takes an hour to walk
You need to replace those batteries in your scooter bro
>>
>>62172943
I think he's on to something that local quirks and small things like this build up to a whole identity that constitutes culture and that changing them individually at the lowest levels creates larger changes at the higher levels
>>
>>62172881
>an inch is about the size of a thumb
A tiny girly thumb. Mine's twice as big.
>>
>>62172935

or just resize the images
>>
>>62172881
Ironically, a mile is easier to measure by foot because it's 1000 paces (mile = mille = 1k).

But yeah, for Americans I guess that's about 1 hours considering snack brakes and catching your breath every 5 steps.
>>
>>62173027
Or not do any of that because you live in the first world
When I'm printing a 200 page Powerpoint script at 4 pages per sheet I don't feel like autistically changing things in every page to get a different aspect ratio
>>
>>62173035
isn't a pace like 3 feet max?
>>
>>62172531
Because you can easily misunderstand the time if you use pm and am.
>Hey lets meet at 8 o clock
>8 what? 8 am or 8 pm
>8pm
>okay

>Hey lets meet at 20:00
>okay

You just cut out a possible misunderstanding, especially if you fly between different time zones.
>>
>>62173027
And fuck up the aspect ratio?

Better to just leave parts blank.
>>
>>62173062
Or 1 metre.
Huh.
>>
>>62173072
So that 1000 pace thing is pretty weird. Maybe the measurements just changed over time.
>>
>>62172881
>a miles an hour to walk
>>
>>62173062
I meant in the sense of a "double step".

Unfortunately Americans have no metric ISO certified way of stating a single or double step pace.
>>
>>62173109
oh that makes sense, my mistake.
>>
>>62173095
I just know that nautical miles are actually based on real geographical things that make it useful for navigation, but since they use landmiles we can still feel superior
>>
>>62173058

in the first world we have printers that just do that at the press of a button

>>62173105

if quality is important you're not shoving two pages onto one in the first place, and you'd probably be better off just giving them the .pdf directly
>>
>>62173138
I think landmiles are neat as an American. This'll start the whole argument over again but I like miph better than kph. If it says 100 I should be going really fast, not under the speed limit.
>>
>>62173166
>100 mph is really fast
That's like flow of traffic speed in Germany
>>
>>62173151
Fine, fuck up your aspect ratio at the press of a button then.
>>
>>62169414
>muh metric system
Funny how the metric countries haven't gotten men on the moon despite having the more ""scientific"" system
>>
>>62173187
Okay yeah Germany's got a superhighway everyone gets it.
Still they're going 160kph which still sounds like a lot more.
This is entirely subjective.
>>
>>62170877
>above 85 is a heat stroke
Actually, 85 is pretty comfy desu
>>
>>62173138
>I just know that nautical miles are actually based on real geographical things that make it useful for navigation

Only because they divided the earth in 360 degrees with 60 minutes per degree.
1 nautical mile is the distance you go when traveling north or south for one arc minute.

IIRC the meter is defined similarly but using the decimal system.
>>
>>62173220
funny how it was the commies that got a satellite and man into space first
>>
>>62173251
not to mention a whole bunch of dead dogs
>>
>>62173187
Liar.

Even where you are allowed to go that fast most people choose to go slower to save fuel.
>>
>>62173223
Also 100 km/h is usually around the average speed for long distance driving motorways, with construction sites, trucks overtaking trucks and other slowdowns included.
So that makes it very easy to calculate. A 350 km journey on a motorway will probably take around 3.5 hours.

If you're driving at a normal speed of 120 km/h you're going around 2 km per minute. Pretty neat.
>>
>>62173234

you have to go back
>>
>>62173258
If by that you mean one dog.
>>
>>62173239
>IIRC the meter is defined similarly but using the decimal system.
nah, science is moving away from subjective ways of measurements and going to objective ways

>The metre is the length of the path travelled by light in vacuum during a time interval of 1/299792458 of a second.

The last measurement that will be purely objective is weights and that is coming soon, i think NIST is working on something right now
>>
>>62169414
i wish burgers would use metric so I could actually understand them, I have a rough number that I have to calculate in my mind to understand what they mean and it's annoying.
>>
>>62172608
>something which created the world and society that we live in is not worth anything

captcha: beware
>>
>>62173322
>lets preserve obsolete stuff
i dont totally disagree, id like to walk into a museum and see the section dedicated to archaic imperial measurements
>>
>>62173239
>IIRC the meter is defined similarly but using the decimal system.
The meter has changed in definition a few times. The current definition is the distance light in a vacuum travels in 1/299,792,458 of a second.
The inch is however defined as 0.0254 meters.

At one time the meter was 1/10,000,000 of the distance between the north pole and the equator. However that's a hopelessly unmeasurable distance.
>>
>>62173322
it's not
what are you gonna do about it?
>>
>>62173271
Depends when and where.
If you drive on a Sunday on a long, relatively straight Autobahn that goes through large parts of Germany, like the A2 or A4, and you do 160 indicated, you won't be faster than most other people.

Yeah people aren't doing this in their morning commute because you'd have to slown down every 10 seconds anyway
>>
>>62173220
How many americans actually could get a men on the moon without le evil german nazi scientists?
>>
File: goebbals_scowling[1].jpg (63KB, 470x700px) Image search: [Google]
goebbals_scowling[1].jpg
63KB, 470x700px
>>62173374
i can see it. hes being told
>okay now you gotta use imperial for everything, its what we use
>>
>>62173300
I meant originally, obviously.

>As a result of the French Revolution, the French Academy of Sciences charged a commission with determining a single scale for all measures. On 7 October 1790 that commission advised the adoption of a decimal system, and on 19 March 1791 advised the adoption of the term mètre ("measure"), a basic unit of length, which they defined as equal to one ten-millionth of the distance between the North Pole and the Equator
>>
>>62173300
Meanwhile the kg is still, in the CURRENT YEAR defined as the weight of this thing because they haven't gotten around to change the definition yet.
>>
>>62170385
>Atmospheric weather temperature is really a tiny part of what we use temperature scales for.

Imagine unironically being this retarded. I can't help but feel tremendous amounts of pity for the yurocucks and other third worlders.

>implying atmospheric weather is not a natural phenomena somehow

Look. He is so retarded that he can't even from a coherent argument.
>>
>>62173421
Well don't worry in CURRENT YEAR+1, it's going to change:
>In 2018, the new kilogram will be adopted at the 26th General Conference on Weights and Measures. It is not defined by an object or a physical mass, but by Planck's constant
https://phys.org/news/2017-06-kilogram.html#jCp
>>
>>62173451
>one subset is the same as all other subsets
I think you might need to retake logic class 101 mate.
>>
>>62170126
celsius is better for anything everyday temperature.

-10 is freezer temp
0 is cold (freezing water , snow , etc)
10 is cool temp. (just above fridge temp wich is 8c on avg)
20 is warm temp. (in house average temp)
30+ is hot temp (hot summer)
40 is very hot (peak summer temps)
>>
>>62173271
the most efficient way to travel is low RPM at highest gear, so go 100 km/h can be less efficient in that sense than going a little faster at a better gear
>>
>>62172561
Best post right here. Something even most redpilled fail to recognize is that modern Marxists have a strategy distinct from their revolutionary predecessors. Modern Marxism is a force that consumes its hosts very, very slowly. This is a multigenerational process but it comes with the benefit of rarely having damaging setbacks because of how it operates. Bit by bit the Marxist hivemind chips away at tradition, culture, history, even science. Individually these changes seem purposeless or maybe even benign, but only because many aren't aware it's part of a much larger agenda at play.
>>
File: 1503177285920.png (427KB, 1923x661px) Image search: [Google]
1503177285920.png
427KB, 1923x661px
>>62172531
The better question is, if metric is so self-evidently superior, why don't Europeans use metric time? 10 days to a week, 10 hours to a day, 100 minutes to an hour, 100 seconds to a minute. The French revolutionaries, who pushed metric, also came up with a new calendar system. Why are Europeans so tied to their archaic 7/24/60 time system?
>>
>>62173684
How are you not already in top gear when cruising at 100 km/h?

In any case you didn't say "just over 100km/h".
You said 160km/h.
No car is more efficient at 160km/h than at 130km/h.
>>
>>62173731
I would gladly use metric time.
>>
>>62173283
Miles has a similar rule of thumb. You travel about a mile a minute at typical highway speeds, so something 50 miles away will take you ~50 minutes. Americans in conversation frequently use time to measure the distance between places since it's so interchangeable with miles.
>>
>>62173812
Did you not read his post?

You also travel about 100km per hour.

So a 50km drive takes half an hour.
And a 850km drive takes 8½ hours.
It's also really convenient.

How long does a 850 mile journey take?
>>
>>62173731
its a good question, it really would be better
>>
>>62173903
850 miles = ~850 minutes = ~14 hours

I understood that there's that convenience with km, I was pointing out there's a similar convenience with miles. Can YOU read?
>>
>>62173903
In most cucked european countries, the speed limit is 70km/h so good luck getting anywhere lmao
>>
File: how about that.jpg (30KB, 406x582px) Image search: [Google]
how about that.jpg
30KB, 406x582px
>>62173903
>>62174120
>>62174226
let's see
>>
File: accurate.jpg (36KB, 410x656px) Image search: [Google]
accurate.jpg
36KB, 410x656px
>>62173903
>>62174120
>>62174407
>>
>>62174517
>>62174407
Yep, it's approximately the same thing, you just showed that traffic moves a bit faster in the US.

https://www.google.com/search?q=100+km+to+miles
>>
File: same shit.jpg (31KB, 410x565px) Image search: [Google]
same shit.jpg
31KB, 410x565px
>>62174559
>Yep, it's approximately the same thing,
yep
>you just showed that traffic moves a bit faster in the US.
not really

850km = 528 miles (just in case)
>>
It's literally whatever. I agree that metric should be used in the sciences and engineering, but who cares if you buy your milk in quarts or gasoline in gallons?
>>
>>62174643
>fastest route leaving now
>middle of the night in Europe
>tail end of rush hour and people running errands on east coast
We're getting into autism right now, but your original two pics did imply a faster speed of travel in the US despite the differing times of the day. This shouldn't be surprising considering our relative population densities, even on the densely populated east coast.
>>
>>62174407
>This route crosses through Belgium.
im geeked
that's worthy of a warning

how bad is it over there
>>
File: faster.jpg (28KB, 411x472px) Image search: [Google]
faster.jpg
28KB, 411x472px
>>62174697
I could have use that too you know.
The point is... it's the same thing. If you have to travel a 1000km in Europe or the US, it's going to take you all day.
>>
File: Capture.png (45KB, 497x894px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
45KB, 497x894px
>>62174643
>>62174697
Also it's easy to cherrypick when playing this game. We're talking about a rule of thumb that's subject to the vagaries of traffic, different types of roads, frequency of pit stops, weather, etc. It's not an exact science.
>>
>>62169414
Because fractions and mathematically superior to decimals.
>>
>>62174749
Except they're mathematically exactly the same thing, just expressed differently. You can express any arbitrary fraction as a decimal (might have to be non-terminating) and vice versa.
>>
>muh freezing water point
>muh boiling water point
arbitrary points that require an arbitrary pressure
it's not better, it's just different

by the way timestamps are YYYY-MM-DD HH:MM:SS.MS, the month goes before the day, it makes more sense as the standard that way
>>
>>62174974
YYYY-MM-DD is the best date format for naming any files since it's the only one in which lexicographic sort is the same as date sort.
>>
>>62174937
As a mathfag, only algebraic numbers can be expressed as fractions. But ITT we're talking about practical ease rather than mathematical equivalence. I mean, 2.54 cm = 1 inch so both systems of measurement are equivalent mathematically. Sometimes fractions are easier to intuit and sometimes decimals are easier to intuit.
>>
>>62175011
*rational not algebraic
>>
>>62174937
What is 1/3 of 1/8 and what is 0.333 of 0.125 without a calculator?
>>
>>62174740
>cherrypick
I just took some famous cities (New York and Paris) as an origin point and went 850km away...
But yeah, the relatively empty and flat part of the US is a tiny bit faster than the old, dense and complicated Europe.
>>
>>62170811
>Normal girls are more like 45-65.
More like 55-65. 45kg is not normal by any stretch of the imagination, unless you're talking about 13 year olds.
>>
>>62173649
>30-40 for heat
That's about as awkward as 32 for freezing.
>>
>>62175188
Why? Because 30 doesn't feel like a hot number?
Fucking seppo cunts
>>
>>62173322
>christianity created the western world
/pol/ has the funniest memes.
>>
>>62169414
This just to show you how American are backwards retards faggots and can't even adapt the change for goods.
>>
>>62169884
Nice bait
>>
>>62169540
That's ironic considering USA can't be more cucked to (((them)))
>>
File: metric vs imperial.png (129KB, 472x598px) Image search: [Google]
metric vs imperial.png
129KB, 472x598px
>>62169414

America gets it right
>>
Why do yuropoors give a fuck what measurements we use anyway? How does it affect you? And why do you act like US is the only country that uses "archaic" units?
>>
both systems are pretty easy to use. it's just a matter of how much you use it. the effort comes from forcing people to use it. remember our country is full of blacks, retards, people who cant even be told how to flip a burger without being confused, etc that we cant do anything about. you all know this. please forgive us until american president hitler comes along then something might change.
>>
>>62169414
It's a pointless discussion
Also imperial is defined in metric units anyway so it doesn't matter
It's always translatable
>>
>>62170126
problem with Fahrenheit always was that it is non linear.
>>
Imperial =/= Customary units
Imperial is used by countries that worship a lady with silly hats
Customary units are used by a country that put people on the friggin moon
>>
>>62169414

I hate that video. She does that irritating "laugh talk" thing that dumbass radio journalists use to make their extremely boring script sound interesting.

God, I hate that so fucking much. Way more than I hate the Fahrenheit system.
>>
File: Tip.jpg (26KB, 440x960px) Image search: [Google]
Tip.jpg
26KB, 440x960px
>>62176325
>>
File: mexico.jpg (60KB, 624x351px) Image search: [Google]
mexico.jpg
60KB, 624x351px
>>62178578
If Catholicism is great, then why do Catholic countries suck ass?
>>
>>62173731
i wish, converting time is a pain in the dick
>>
>>62172245
>libcucks
>metric
Holy shit anon. Not everything is politics.
>>
>>62173151
In the first world we don't even have to think about pressing that button because it's already done.

The first time I even had to think about this was because of this thread.
>>
>>62172826
wait, murrica has uneven paper sizes?
no clean tiling? no making a larger/smaller version of a document by just picking a different paper size, not worrying about ratio?
>>
>>62178630
>Catholicism
Any religiousfag is cancerous.
>>
>>62170126
muh Celcius
>>
>>62178862
we use a4 for almost everything
>>
File: 4th of july.gif (262KB, 600x622px) Image search: [Google]
4th of july.gif
262KB, 600x622px
>use metric
>cant land moon
>use imperial
>lands on moon
Suck my big American footlong cock yuropoors.
>>
>>62178888
at least where i live, A4 is the most common, but A3 is pretty common too, for things like technical drawings (which i print pretty often, being a mechanical engineer)
it's nice to be able to print A4 drafts for quick review, or make A3 copies of a document printed as A4, in all cases they fit the pages properly
>>
>>62172083
That pic is one of the most retarded things I've seen so far.
>>
File: metric_on_the_moon.png (341KB, 535x545px) Image search: [Google]
metric_on_the_moon.png
341KB, 535x545px
>>62173220
>>62177854
>>62178909
> BUT MUH MOON
Every fucking time.
>>
>>62181000
>tfw your country is so badass it uses two systems
>>
File: murica_fuck_yeah.png (19KB, 1360x95px) Image search: [Google]
murica_fuck_yeah.png
19KB, 1360x95px
>>62181095
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mars_Climate_Orbiter
>>
>>62181119
Good effort but it's not strictly because it was imperial, it's because they asked for SI and got imperial. Similarly, if they had asked for imperial but received SI it doubtlessly would have fucked up as well.
>>
>>62181235
Doing everything in metric from the beginning would have eliminated this huge point of failure that was bound to fail sooner or later, NASA was lucky it did so during an unmanned flight. Thankfully they've gone full mertic since that.
>>
>>62181119
>lockheed
>>62181235
CU, not imperial
>>62181271
When were they not full metric?
>>
>>62181271
They were doing full metric, Lockheed fucked up. Likewise if they'd been doing full imperial/CU and Lockheed had done metric, it would have fucked up. The problem isn't which unit type, the problem was consistency. Do you really think computers care which set is being used? Neither of them evenly map to binary numbers anyway.
>>
>>62172841
>Inversely, should we erase every quirk of humanity in the name of "science" and "efficiency"
Except the reason we invented units of measurement in the first place is precisely because of math and science and efficiency.
By that logic, i should stick to roman numerals, because that's what muh ancestors learned from the romans, and it's european, not the indo-arabic meme the muslims introduced Christendom too.
Or i should deal with scots converting from stones.

>>62173731
The republic calendar was mostly an unfinished, politically motivated project against churchfags and royalists.
>>
File: salute.png (524KB, 900x506px) Image search: [Google]
salute.png
524KB, 900x506px
>>62169414
The US is above simply going along with what all the cool kids are doing - all the Eurofags and their ilk are just mad that we're big enough to get away with this shit.

Our real national motto might as well be "Fuck off"
>>
>>62181446
yeah, much better to be in the same bucket as Liberia and Myanmar.
>>
>>62181327
> When were they not full metric?
See >>62181000, they were converting data back and forth. Besides, the mere fact that everyone involved at Lockheed thought it's a reasonable idea to use Imperials anywhere near NASA means it wasn't that clear.
>>62181353
>The problem isn't which unit type, the problem was consistency.
I fully agree the problem isn't with the Imperial units per se but in the existence of two competing systems. Yet since the entire world uses metric, a reasonable government would have ditched the alternative system decades ago, just like the entire world did.

In the end, my somewhat self-evident points are, 1) no, Imerials didn't get humans to the moon 2) use of Imperials is a source of confusion and a potential point of failure for every non-trivial project.
>>
>>62176325
it's the basis for western morality, yes
>>
why is this even a thread on here
>>
>>62181477
>Lockheed
>>
>>62181576
>>62181446
Thread posts: 262
Thread images: 32

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.