[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I will get an older PC server from a friend soon. I would like

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

File: Empire-Small-Server..jpg (34KB, 628x600px) Image search: [Google]
Empire-Small-Server..jpg
34KB, 628x600px
I will get an older PC server from a friend soon. I would like to set it up in my small office to put all the files, and maybe programs like photoshop, sketch up, etc. on it. Then Id like to connect my 2 PCs and few laptops to it to access the date.

However I know nothing about servers and how to set them up.

Whats the easiest way to do this (If its a good way to do what I need).

Where can I start learning, or learn what I need to set this up?

What are your recommendations?
>>
If you are acctually gonna work in PS and sketch up, it will not be so nice over remote controls.

Install Linux or Windows server 2012 r2. Windows server is easy mode and you can just share folders from Explorer.
>>
Sell your PCs and get a better iPhone.
>>
>>62163363
Is it possible to connect printers to the server and print from every pc connected to it?
>>
>>62163314
Doing all at the same time is usually done with a virtual machine host of sorts that runs server daemons, but I'd kinda suggest with a Linux file server & run programs locally unless you know what you are doing & are willing to fix hardware from network to this computer.

>>62163410
Yup. In multiple ways, but the common one is sharing them using samba / windows network sharing. Then again how old are these that they aren't networked yet?
>>
>>62163410
Sure, if you're using Windows server that's one of the options the "File and Print" server option will let you set up
>>
>>62163538
Its a few years old samsung printer, but I had some driver problems and not all functions worked over network, unless connected by a cable.
>>
>>62163547
So the easiest way would be to run windows server 2012 and to run programs locally? Printer and shared files are what I need on the server, programs would be just a bonus, but if its too much of a hassle Id rather run them locally
>>
>>62163622
Linux with Samba, CUPS and whatever else you want, possibly with remote desktop.

Windows server can be run in a VM if really needed.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.