[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

After coming onto /g/ ive decided that i want to try oht linux

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 4

File: windows-vs-linux.png (11KB, 500x400px) Image search: [Google]
windows-vs-linux.png
11KB, 500x400px
After coming onto /g/ ive decided that i want to try oht linux BUT, i dont want to fully get rid of windows FOR NOW.

Im planing on Arch or Ubuntu dual boot with windows, anything i should keep in mind with dual boot

>inb4 install gentoo
>>
>>62150944
Make sure you have a partition free for the installation, otherwise you might accidentally overwrite windows. Also, stick with ubuntu or linux mint for now. Learn to crawl first before you walk.
>>
>>62151084
I've used Kali before, but I need something to use as kind of a main system, can you brief me about DEs?
>>
>>62150944
Ubuntu should make partitioning easier than Arch.
>>
>>62150944
>arch
>ubuntu
no
go with mint
>>
>>62151171
Why? Idk shit bout Linux so ye
>>
>>62151171
>arch
>ubuntu
>mint
no
go with gentoo
>>
>>62151188
Arch is for someone who knows what to do with a system
Ubuntu is bloat shit spyware
Mint is based on Ubuntu it's light and better with better desktop envs
>>62151196
>gentoo
fuck off
>>
>>62151228
no u
>>
you will have more issues with any "noob friendly" distros then you will have with arch, unless you refuse to read a wiki page entry about your problem

all those "noob friendly" distros are straight garbage that come with 4 year old software
>>
>>62151265
no u
>>
no >>62151275
>>
Go to bed Xern
>>
File: 1503770585180.gif (526KB, 364x489px) Image search: [Google]
1503770585180.gif
526KB, 364x489px
>>62151152
Oh, wow, I'm so tempted to mock you now.
>>
use ubuntu, it's easy to install and works with most hardware
>>
>>62151392
Do I need to do anything after I install it or will everything work? (YouTube, LoL?, Skype etc..)
>>
>>62151425
interesting post
>>
>>62151516
Linux newbie what can I do
>>
>>62150944
xubuntu is great try it
>>
>>62151356
why only hackers use kali
>>
>>62151611
Well I'm not a hacker but tried learning, pretty fun
>>
>>62151425

Go through system settings, turn off any analytics/amazon shit.

Install vlc and youtube-dlg(if you would like to just download the vids).

And I would suggest installing Ubuntu 17.04. Don't bother with LTS for a trial run. The newer kernel of the 2017 version will make things easier.
>>
>>62150944
Try Gentoo. It is the most configurable and customizable Linux distro. Gentoo allows for levels of customization that even Arch can't provide. It is also definitely worth your time and won't turn you into a NEET.
>>
>>62151650
But watching vids on yt I don't need flash or some shit right?

>>62151650
>>
>>62151425
ubuntu is canonical they arent any better from Microsoft ...dont use ubuntu
>>
>>62151693
>>
>>62151703
What should i do then?
>>
>>62151744
>he didn't try gentoo
>>
>>62151699

Yes, it works out of the box.

>>62151800

Ubuntu's fine for a starter. But if you want non-canonical you can try Kubuntu. Bonus points for you since the KDE Plasma layout is like Windows unlike regular Ubuntu which is more Mac like(sort of).
>>
>>62151886
>Bonus points for you since the KDE Plasma layout is like Windows

That's what I want to change, want something cool and sleek unlike windows
>>
>>62151800
manjaro is pretty good
>>
>>62150944
So much this >>62151084, you'll want to go with the most mainstream one, at least you won't be weeping all alone if things go awry, frankly when I am desperate I'd rather be spoon fed even though I know full well that if I get over the current difficulties with my own means I'll be a better dev/sysadmin/webdev...

Here is how I went from being a yuckdows user to a *nix lover (all I need now is the standard shell and my beloved text editors)

1st distro: Unknown, I did use some flavor of unix back in my time at the university but I was so ignorant I only realised that later when identifying the editor I used as vi. This was not why I stick with *nixes today.

2nd distro: mandriva, sucked ass and almost got me disinterested in the whole *nix world for its broken installer and lack of drivers. This is why I never recommend my own distro to newbies, they should be able to get help easily.

3rd distro: Ubuntu LTS of its time, this was the babe that held my hand through my *nix learning process, pretty stable and quite noob friendly, spent a couple of years before building enough self confidence to go on to the next step and decide on a final main stay OS.

4th distro: Debian stable, this one is rock stable with old ass dinosaur packages, ran it a few years and got enough hands on experience tweeking and configuring it. having to use many alien repositories I thought that stable with old packages is not for me... and on to my

5th and current distro: Debian testing, at first, before getting acquainted with the Debian family of OSs, testing gave off the vibe of buggy unstable software, now that I have run testing for almost a year, I can say with confidence that I have never experienced any kind of instability or bugginess, the damn thing can run for months do a system upgrade and continue working just fine for more months. Man, I love this stuff.
>>
>>62152359
Ok so I'll go with Ubuntu as my first distro, what about gaming? Mainly League of Legends
>>
File: 1484857772038.png (168KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
1484857772038.png
168KB, 400x400px
>>62151611
No? Kali only has a pre-built in resources to make your life easier. It is not meant to act as a main OS.

All the tools pre-built-in Kali can be downloaded in any other distros.
>>
>>62151997
Try Gnome 3
>>
>dual boot
>arch

Good luck you fucking masochist. Arch is not for people who ask if there is anything you should keep in mind. Most likely you will accidentally format your hard disk or something. Arch is a tech support simulator for when you want to see weird errors noone has seen before. It breaks every time you update and you need to manually do all sorts of weird havks. The arch wiki is also shit and the drivers don't work and the wiki instructions don't work
>>
>>62155872
You should consider having at least some credibility when trying to bait.
>>
get a macbook
>>
>>62151824
His image is true tho.
Thread posts: 39
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.