[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Cisco cert

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 4

Ahoy, what can i achieve with basic ccna and bachelors in computer networking? Any ideas what i should add to my experience to make real money?
>>
File: pol_gayayya.png (294KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
pol_gayayya.png
294KB, 1000x1000px
homosexuality with most likely make you rich
>>
>>62149782
>Bachelors check for HR/hiring dept
>CCNA Check for Tier 1/analyst type work

The CCNA is used for entry level stuff, if you are a high level CCNA you might find some jr role however most roles are in NOC or install depts for solutions

Meaning companies like the ISP or MSSP will hire CCNA/CCNP straight from college with some experience since that is what we need.....

Take it easy and continue studying, one day you might make over six figures

Join this forum btw...

If you want to do what I did to find a job, right after getting the CCNA R/S go for the CCNA Security or the Sec +. They are simple and actually good to have in the field...

http://www.techexams.net/
>>
>>62149897
I'm in college which is giving out free "academic" CCNA and they have labs for it. I think they're letting you take another Cisco certificate which is above it, don't remember what it was but what certificates would you recommend if I want a six figurines job with this? Also, do you have any advice on somebody with 0 experience? Any books to read or something?
>>
>>62149782
Get some switches and practice. Otherwise you're fucked.
>>
>>62150626
No, you're wrong

GNS3 is legit, these fucks who say get hardware devices it isn't worth it

Virtual networking...

Try packet tracer if you can't figure out gns3

>you waste money on physical equipment
If you want actual equipment though, I have 3 switches and 4 routers I will sell for $300

You get all cabling for ether channel between switches
You get all cabling for nic cards on the routers
Router nic cards included etc....
I can factory refresh them anyway

But being 100% honest here, do not buy equipment

Get yourself a virtual lab, once you get to the engineer level like CCNP or CCIE or even security track start building a lab at home

yes a lab at home is recommended..........
>>
Do I need a college degree to get into this? I've spent 5 years in the Army. I'm purely a hobbyist, run servers, know a few languages, etc. I really don't want to go to school if I can start from the bottom, learn on the job and in my own time.
>>
>>62150903
Stop asking questions and start studying

Don't wait for someone to tell you what to do or how to do it

The information is out there, Comptia, Cisco, Meraki, fortine,t Juniper.....

there's a ton of experience to be gained from the networking field

The dev guys don't really know too much about this stuff anyway............
>>
File: 1491532592042.png (501KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
1491532592042.png
501KB, 600x600px
>Networking
>Money
Good fucking luck with that, you only need one net admin per 3000 employees. If you're lucky you'll get overnight shifts at a NOC
>>
>>62150903
It can help, but you can absolutely make it with just experience. Maybe get an associate's
>>
File: untitled.jpg (112KB, 1600x873px) Image search: [Google]
untitled.jpg
112KB, 1600x873px
>>62150945
I have every CCNA course cert, VMWare courses from udemy and Windows server 2012 on TPB bookmarked and will download when I'm finished reading what I have here. I'm reading as much as I can before I discharge.
>>
>>62150953
:)

He thinks networking is about admin type work

i hope you will do well in whatever field you have chosen

>tfw
>Everyone thinks networking = admin/analyst type work at a NOC

btw, in networking you could be making over 250k, over 300k and you're entering SME/SE territory..
>>
>>62150680
pls reply >>62150021
>>
>>62151222
Stop

Making

This

Also no, you won't be making anywhere remotely near that salary range and yes, if you're going down the Cisco route you're going to be doing shitty net admin work. You don't learn how to configure packets or anything programmatic in those programs, its all about routing configurations and switch settings.
>>
>>62150903
If you know Javascript, Python, Powershell and C++, and you have CCIE, you will be pulling in 120k+ a year on your first year.
>>
>>62149782
>hat can i achieve with basic ccna and bachelors in computer networking
Tier 1 phone support position in a help desk.
>>
>>62152111
This is only true if you don't know how to code. Everything is becoming automated, so Cisco is useless. But you can still make good money out of a decent Cisco cert if you can code.
>>
>>62150021
Study and actually get ingrained in the tech culture

Not /g/ something like the link below..

Basically, yes certs can change your life but it depends on you and how hard you work and how social you are. The cisco material is great to start with however the industry is changing, the CCNP isn't worth it right now and I'll let you know why down below

SD-Wan is changing the game and the CCNP is truly worth it for old school engineers who manage all cisco gear. There are certs out there where you can start off in a entry level role

Basically, this is what worked for me

Network + - This can be skipped and not 100% neeed- This should be thought in high school....

CCNA Routing and switching - Always worth it but there is some things on the exam you will never be experienced to in the real world, the BGP, ppp , hdlc, frame relay are mostly ISP technologies and you don't actually need to know about them in the real world however they are included in the CCNA... The WAN topics will be legacy one day...

Ok, moving on

SD-wan is changing a lot of things in the world of technology and how we manage, store and access data will be changing in the next few years. "Our company is leading the effort/and companies are buying up small sdwan companies out there.."

What certs do I recommned?

CCNA Route/switch
CCNA Security
Fortinet NSE4
Sec +

Those can get anyone in the field, if you are looking at engineering you also might need to understand how servers work so a vmware cert is good to have but not required....

The problem is a traditional CCNA really means you know something at the analyst/admin level but you really wont know the high level stuff and admin/analyst don't pay that well since there are a ton of people out there who say they can do it, but once you get them in the cubical they can't even understand why their networks aren't communicating with each other and you haven't even ran a show command yet
>>
>>62152051
>Also no, you won't be making anywhere remotely near that salary range and yes, if you're going down the Cisco route you're going to be doing shitty net admin work. You don't learn how to configure packets or anything programmatic in those programs, its all about routing configurations and switch settings.

I started down this journey long time ago, I'm past the CCNA level but I do understand what you are saying......
>>
>>62150680
I didn't say go buy them.

Without physical equipment it's rough. Virtual labs won't save you either. You'll only learn what it's allegedly setup for. Means nothing when dealing with reality.

I just setup 30 switches in a 500k/hr process. You can't virtualize in this enviroment. If I didn't bench test the failure scenarios I would of been fucked trying to deal with Rep and stp with switches 10k apart.

You're wrong.
>>
>>62152553
>I just setup 30 switches in a 500k/hr process. You can't virtualize in this enviroment. If I didn't bench test the failure scenarios I would of been fucked trying to deal with Rep and stp with switches 10k apart.
>You're wrong.

?

You setup 30 switches just for a lab?

We do it different, it would take us months to roll out over 30 devices into the field but that is mostly because of project time frames. Basically I have also worked in those type of envrionments however, we don't just install that many devices in a lab environment

We take our time, first a couple of devices and than I create the documents/configs and another dept takes over

Virtual is still the way to go for labs...
>>
>>62152626
It's a mine. Installation took a week, then we cut over. Replaced a 100km fiber ring nodes from siemens otn to Cisco. I mounted them all to a wall and simulated the network. Only thing I couldn't test is the lh sfps.

We only get a few hours to cut over. I manage all the software and applications. My office is attached to my lab. Virtualizing would been nice but it's impossible.
>>
>>62152687

Are you an install tech or install engineer?

What do you do?
>>
>>62152761
I'm an EE. I deal with power, comms, controls, etc. Cisco is just a subset of what I do. I've done this now in a few mines, minefields and refineries.
>>
>>62152855
How much they pay and what state or US region?
>>
>>62150680
how do you do port security in gns3?
>>
>>62152876
It's an international company. I'm currently in their Canadian facility, but they have presence in the states.

I salary at 130k but there's bonuses and such.
>>
>>62152881
Switching in gns3 isn't recommened at the CCNP level however you can still learn at the CCNA level

>Port security in gns3?

IOU's
Virtual devices with a mac/ip address.....
>>
All this talk about high end Cisco certs being useless is pissing me off because I've started studying for it
>>
>>62153380

Just study something in medicine.

You don't need a dozen certs just to get a shitty job like in IT.
>>
>>62153398
I'm too dumb to for medicine because my math is shit. No point in trying to get good at something I've failed in my entire life.
>>
>>62153424
U may as well forget about Cisco too then. Could always pick up a shovel..
>>
>>62153424

Just basic shit like first aid or taking X-Rays. No need to for high level math.
>>
>>62153453
Math is totally required for this.
>>
CCNA is super entry level these days. It used to mean something, but Pajeet cheating exams ruined it.

>>62150903
A degree really helps, but you do not need a degree to be a network engineer. This is maybe one of the last areas of IT where a degree is not strictly necessary. You need shit tons of certs though, and collectively they'll be more than equal to a BA. The highest level networking guy at my work has no degree, just a shit ton of experience.
You probably fucked up not learning this in the military, though.
That said, CCNA is really piss entry level these days. It used to mean something, but every Pajeet cheating the tests ruined it.
>>
>>62153548
Ccna is 95% routing which is essentially as useful as knowing where the steering wheel is when pursuing a taxi driver career.
>>
>>62153548
If he's been in the army (the shittiest branch to get into) and knows a couple of programming languages already, then he's not a lost cause. Quite the contrary actually. Somebody who can program and knows how Cisco equipment works can earn a very comfortable life with six figures.
>>
>>62153565
This
>>
>>62153548
>CCNA is really piss entry level these days. It used to mean something, but every Pajeet cheating the tests ruined it.
CCNA was meant to be entry level but it requires much more knowledge than it did a decade ago. They made the requirements for CCNA higher because people kept stopping after getting CCNA, to which the response was starting to move CCNP topics into CCNA. Nobody entry level needs to know about BGP, but now they do if they want a CCNA.
Today's CCNA is trying to be a "survivable" level cert rather than entry level. You shouldn't need additional training in order to start functioning after getting one, unlike other entry level certs like Net+ (as offensive as it is to say that you could have a networking position with Net+.)

The main issue with the Pajeets cheating and the CCNA is that Cisco only certifies so many people per year, so the CCNA passing requirements just keep getting more and more stringent. I think it was 93% to pass CCNA for 2016? That's insane when you look at other certifications that are around to 60-70% range to pass.

People that study test dumps have devalued CCNA and all the other certs, but a genuine studied CCNA student is armed with much more knowledge today than what a CCNA of the past would have needed.
>>
>>62151222
you're delusional
>>
>>62149782
Cisco is rapidly losing market share and dying.

Basic CCNA might be a good way to show you have grasp of basic networking, but further Cisco certification may be for naught unless you are trying to apply to a very specific job that requires a very specific Cisco product knowledge.
Thread posts: 41
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.