[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

SciFi Computer Theory - Alternate Data Storage

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 7

In a universe where FTL travel interferes with electronics, especially data storage, alternatives to such easily messed with computers would be found. I wish to know if my idea would work
Let's lay it out, including base situation:
Activation of the FTL drive causes issues with electronics, especially data storage - 25-30% of all information is corrupted, and an additional 25-65% is flat out wiped from the system.
Proposed workaround: hardwire computers with the instruction set to read physical media storage, then act upon the instructions. Proposed physical media: cards, about the size of a credit card, printed with microdots in five colors - Red, Green, Blue, Black, and White - giving 5 potential binary signals.
Cards are read via optical scanning, and thus have two sides to carry data.

Alternative: cards are clear plastic, printed by laser etching receptacles for micro beads of the appropriate colors, then read by shining light through them onto photo-receptors that then translate signal into one of the five binary paths.

Am I being too fancy here? Or is this good? Would it work? What effects would this have on computing on spaceships?
>>
OP bump.
>>
>>62143248
Or how about store the information on a thumb drive and then put said thumb drive in a type of EMP proof casing in a seperate room that has shielding so whenever FTL jumps happen, it's always protected? Or connect all computers to use a mainframe in a shielded room?
>>
>>62143248
Use ECC
>>
>>62143665
Point. But not really relevant.
I am trying to go for a retro-futurist style, and I want the differences in computing to be something that helps drives a cultural wedge between spacers and grounders, and it requires people on FTL ships.

And since I already have my science-breaking miracles (that stump science because they, as proven by experiments, break the laws of physics) effect things by volume, I can rule the drive effects everything within that volume more-or-less equally. So, EMP-proofing and faraday cages don't help here.
They do help against EMP, so there's that.

Anyways, would my idea work?
>>
>>62143248
Blurays and other optical media rely on the data being physically burnt into the media itself, so it'd be hard to corrupt. You'd have to hardwire the BIOS for any motherboards and you'd probably want something like a live CD environment so you can have a full-featured OS instead of something simple enough to be embedded into actual circuitry. Or, like >>62143665 said, EMP proof everything or a specific room in the ship. But I get it, if you want your setting to fry electronics when activating FTL, then that would defeat the purpose.

What about bio-based computers? I'm assuming human minds are greatly affected, so maybe something that uses the same principles? It might be slow, but maybe an AI that runs the ship could run off of a giant brain.
>>
>>62143248
https://www.theverge.com/2016/2/16/11018018/5d-data-storage-glass

pretty sure we wont need anything else
also depends on the ftl type
if its like sgu destiny ftl in our dimension then yeah the relativist effect will fuck up everything unless the shield can somehow protect us and the data
if it jumps into hyperspace or whatever they call it then no
>>
File: neil-degrasse-tyson.jpg (28KB, 625x430px) Image search: [Google]
neil-degrasse-tyson.jpg
28KB, 625x430px
>>62143730
You asked if your idea would be possible, the answer is of-fucking-course, but you're trying to do it in the worst possible way for the worst possible reason.
Also FTL is impossible, that's the reason we measure a lot of things by light. The closer you approach light the more distortion in objects arises. You wouldn't have to worry about your data being warped as much as every bone in your body being crushed into a pile of slush.
>>
>>62143248
Optical recognition of coloured dots would be too complex. If this hypothetical FTL technology screwed with electronics to the point where storage didn't work properly, a hardwired system for reading colours likely wouldn't either. Plain binary punched cards would be the way to go.

Increasing data density by those means is a nice idea, but impractical to implement in this hypothetical.

In any case, the effect it would have on computing on spaceships would be to make more things mechanical. In theory, you could use really good electronic computers on land to design purely mechanical computers that would be useful enough.
>>
>>62143754
>FTL is impossible
No shit, Sherlock. Must be why its called science fiction.
>>
>>62143754
ftl is not impossible
according to einstein there isnt anything in terms of physics to hold us back from travelling back and forth in time
>>
>>62143754
FTL is impossible? you do know the universe itself is expanding faster than light eh?
we fucking know this since the 80s
>>
>>62143754
>Also FTL is impossible, that's the reason we measure a lot of things by light.
FTL is theoretically possible, we just don't know how. And we measure a lot of things by light (or light-time, really) because it's a constant speed no matter what (except for a few instances where it isn't) and is by its very fast nature a useful unit of measurement for the vast distances that you get in space.
>>
>>62143768
I just feel like I have to pop that bubble for a lot of the summerfags here that think they can play mass effect and they instantly understand physics, or worse: they'll listen to neil degrasse tyrone or michio cucku talking and feel 2intelligent.

>>62143780
>Einstein said it so it must be true
There's a reason it's called *theoretical* physics. It's in theory. Most of what happens in theory cannot be applied to the real world. Think dark matter or string theory. We can theories that it's true, but we cannot exactly prove it.

>>62143797
Provide me one academic source.
Hard mode: no wikipedia
dante must die mode: no pop science icons
>>
>>62143780
>according to einstein
[citation needed]
>>
When did this become /sci/ I'm very confused. Actually I'm gonna bring in sci for this one.
>>
>>62143813
Higgs Boson once were just a theory.
You can't ignore something just because it's a theory, and most physics theories are backed by mathematics.
>>
>>62143813
This guy >>62143797 is right, that's what Dark Energy (the concept) was created to explain.

But just because spacetime is expanding faster than light, that doesn't necessarily mean that an object that exists in spacetime can. FTL is extremely unlikely to be possible. But who cares, we're talking about sci-fi here.
>>
>>62143813
have fun reading
https://arxiv.org/abs/astro-ph/0310808
a common confusion is people think that FTL is always about light speed but in reality its also about frequency
>>
>>62143846
Wasn't the only one who rejected the higgs theory hawking and then he got salty because of this?

>>62143847
Point
>>
>>62143693
>ECC
See, this is why I came to the experts. Or at least more-informed-than-me-amateurs.
I'll have to think about that.
>>62143746
Not exactly fry, just make it harder. Human minds (for reasons unknown to science - other than "we're sorta similar to the things that allow FTL" -, but suspected by many theologians) aren't that badly effected - headaches, mostly. The occasional hallucination, outbursts of previously unknown mental powers, and a distressing tendency for the engineers (and the rest of the crew) to fall into superstition and that old time religion.

I was thinking about optical storage media (that micro-engraved 5d model crystal that Uni Southhampton made - whatever happened to that?), and CD's completely slipped my mind. Rather embarrassing, actually.
>>62143747
Dropping into a hyperspace like dimension. It's the transition points that hit the data storage.
>>62143754
Well gee, thanks for telling me that FTL is impossible. I'll even... Wait, I already covered this over at /tg/. The FTL method, and the tech and the raw materials used to support it (crystals! The most generic answer ever!) are, in universe, breaking the laws of physics. Most sensible scientists have given up looking for The Natural Jump Theory, they just know the damn thing works by having a physical structure that is partially not in our universe.
>>62143760
Okay, colored dots is too complex. What about monochrome? Don't want to get back down to punch cards, since I am trying to increase the data density.
>>
>>62143248
>five colors - Red, Green, Blue, Black, and White - giving 5 potential binary signals.
what does binary mean to you
>>
>>62143760
I'm going to second punch cards. With electronic storage on the fritz, mechanical systems would seem more practical. Punch cards are easy, and could be done by hand. I picture less trust in computer systems in general with a known problem like this, but that could vary depending on how long they've had to adapt to this FTL system.
Also, anything complex is more likely to just be written down on paper.
>>62143248
Complex electronic computing would still be possible in the volatile sense, so ships would me more likely to make short jumps in case course corrections would be needed. With no electronics while you jump, you're essentially traveling blindly and praying everything goes right. Course corrections at FTL speeds would be all but impossible.
>>
>>62143854
samefag in special relativity it is stated that velocity=time so ftl is literally time travel but that occurs only when special relativity applies and we dont know what the fuck exists beyond the boundaries of our ever expanding universe

however in general relativety speed=notion so breaking the light barrier where the general relativity applies will cause massive problems to those that do it

it is possible 100% no doubt about that but in order to find a way to brake it we must find a way to contain time withing the bubble we will create to travel FTL and we barely understand earthquakes let alone what time is
>>
>>62143856
I don't know this story.
Either way, you can't ignore something just because it's a theory.
>>
>>62143864
You can already use paper as data storage, it's economical to do so. About $16/gb, magnetic HDDs have $30/gb
>>
File: Hyperion.jpg (56KB, 230x400px) Image search: [Google]
Hyperion.jpg
56KB, 230x400px
>>62143754
>You wouldn't have to worry about your data being warped as much as every bone in your body being crushed into a pile of slush.
That's not an issue for bearers of the cruciform
>>
>>62143864
>Okay, colored dots is too complex. What about monochrome? Don't want to get back down to punch cards, since I am trying to increase the data density.
You can increase density on punch cards by making the holes (and therefore the mechanical reading instruments) smaller. You'll probably want metal cards rather than paper, though. Optical recognition is still pretty damn complex, especially if you want to have it reliably and accurately reading really small dots.
>>
>>62143897
>magnetic HDDs have $30/gb
What do you think this is, the year 1995? I think you meant TB.

>>62143864
>Okay, colored dots is too complex. What about monochrome? Don't want to get back down to punch cards, since I am trying to increase the data density.

The main issue is that optical recognition is hard and takes a lot to do in software. If you have to replicate it in hardware, it would take a lot of hardware. Might be more doable with nanotechnology being used, but if the issue is that electronics past a certain complexity (density?) stop working reliably, the sheer number of circuits needed to replicate optical recognition in hardware might cause issues with your FTL system.
>>
>>62143884
>With no electronics while you jump, you're essentially traveling blindly and praying everything goes right. Course corrections at FTL speeds would be all but impossible.
Wouldn't it be that FTL travel would be through a wormhole (or wrinkle, or fold, or whatever you prefer) that, when opened, already has a set destination, so corrections are unnecessary?
>>
File: 9cwfs01.png (242KB, 415x567px) Image search: [Google]
9cwfs01.png
242KB, 415x567px
>>
>>62143754
Technically FTL is possible, if currently accepted wormhole theory works out (But the ship won't actually accelerate to C)
>>
>>62143909
cards arent feasable assuming that the ship you will launch into space will be able to gather data
you need something solid probably 3dimensional light based storage
thats why scientists are going after crystal storage it cant be affected by anything
>>
File: NeXTstation_@_Google_Office_NY.jpg (1MB, 2368x2156px) Image search: [Google]
NeXTstation_@_Google_Office_NY.jpg
1MB, 2368x2156px
Just have everything on multi write CDs like in the good ol days.
>>
>>62143918
That sort of depends on the author, but you raise a fair point. Not much else is likely to be traveling faster than light between you and your destination.
>>
>>62143892
I'm not ignoring something because it's a theory. I'm just saying until there's objective data there, it's very problematic to go "let's work on the assumption it is".
>>
>>62143917
yeah tb for both of them
>>
>>62143946
Or better yet, CDs made of nanomachines that can rearrange themselves into whatever patter/data configuration you want. The nanomachines would just be molecular machinery, so no electronics needed. So you'd get muli-write CDs but with infinite uses.
>>
>>62143949
your wife if she finds out you banged some alien ass
>>
>>62143960
Wouldn't nanomachines still be affected though?
>>
>>62143969
Depends on the author, but it sounds like electricity-based things are mainly affected, so data stored as electricity can be corrupted. If the data is just the physical pattern of how nanomachines are laid out, then the data should be safe. As for the nanomachines, they could be essentially really complex virus-like things that work based on chemistry and physics, not exactly electronics.
>>
>>62143248
we already have memory crystal things,
>>
i really doubt the problem will be the storage
the real problem will be the crunch of data and compression cause i cant imagine how much data a trip of lets say 5 years in ftl can produce...
>>
Okay, so current ideas are
>Punch cards, probably metal
and
>live CD environment, with rewritable disks
with side votes for
>CRYSTALS!
But since I'm already doing so much with crystals in this setting, I'll give them a rest.

Current idea: modified form of CD-RW, bluray levels of data density, in a floppy drive case. You can even make it two-sided! Use for live environment computing, and data storage. Please remember to backup your active data before entering or exiting Jumpspace.
>>
>>62144156
Now to work how to make it so space travel needs people... I already gave up the slide rules!
>>
File: Sony_PFD23_20060615.jpg (129KB, 712x445px) Image search: [Google]
Sony_PFD23_20060615.jpg
129KB, 712x445px
>>62144156
It would look like this, using a dual-side, 10-layer rewritable, (for 20 data layers) and the read/write unit mounting two 405nm or smaller lasers.

It actually makes a lot of sense to do it this way.
>>
>>62144268
yeah good luck with electromagnetic waves
>>
>>62143248
DNA can be used to very compactly store information. Hundreds of petabytes a gram.
>>
tfw optical disks never got to the point of the laser physically etching data into it like a record player

this would of prevented data loss from EMPS or bitrot like on flash

it would also be resistant to shock/UV/magnetics/water

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeee
>>
>>62144459
the laser would cut lines or grooves into the plastic

include a head for reading and one for writing to double I/O over optical media
>>
Who ever told you that FTL travel, if it was possible, would interfere with electronics? On what basis?
>>
Doesn't FTL require breaking the Second Law of Thermodynamics, which is one of the biggest impossibilities in science? And wouldn't FTL allow for backwards time travel, which is, again, impossible?
>>
>>62143248
just write your stupid data on a piece of paper

sheesh, you are overcomplicating it
>>
>>62144495
Wormholes conserve it. but we never observed one naturally or the effects of it... or we don't know how to study their effects anyway we just started with laboratory made microscopic ones for now.
>>
>>62143933
3D light-based is way more complex.
>>
>>62144492
the fictional world I'm working on told me it was possible.
The physics of that world protested like crazy. It's technically not possible, but it still happens. With the effects on electronics, that's an effect created by the transitions between realspace and FTL space.
and since I know the next post was you - the methods used do, in fact, break the second law of thermodynamics. If you think that's bad, wait until you see what happens when they get used as a heat sink!
And the entire backwards time travel thing relies on the equations of special relativity providing a negative time dilation for FTL velocities. Now, when you have an effective FTL velocity obtained by spending 7 days in another universe (even when you're travelling at high-c velocities, when you enter the jump, you and the universe you left experience the same amount of relative time), it really doesn't do the same thing. According to the universe, you did not exist, then you existed again. Sure, it was at a different location, but there was time in between the moments of existence.
>>62144515
Should I make the radio semaphore too? Or is that too complicated? SOme shipboard tasks should be computerized.
>>
>>62143879
this
>>
>>62144632
Why would it have an effect only on electronics? You do know that all of our atoms host numerous electrons, don't you?

I mean, fine, it's SciFi. But it doesn't seem very consistent to me, and SciFi must be internally consistent to be good.
>>
>>62144623
its the only way to deal with radiation
>>
I posit anyone technically advanced enough for FTL would just use the same magic for their electronics.
>>
>>62144683
I dunno, a sheet of metal with physical holes in it doesn't seem too susceptible to radiation. I might sure the sheet might become radioactive, but the holes representing data will still be there.
>>
>>62144674
I was thinking space magic, effectively. I mean, there's headaches, vomiting, the occasional outburst of reality bending mental powers, sometimes nosebleeds, but it doesn't mess with people. Too much.
>>62144705
I was thinking about that, but I wanted to give my macguffinite a break. I'm already making it pull multiple duties in the setting.
>>
Store them in crystals
>>
>>62144723
but as i have stated the ship will have to store data lots and lots of data
what happenes then?
you cant have hdd or ssd alike cause of the cmb
you cant have cards cause you gonna need to town another ship behind it to store them
you cant have cd/dvd alike cause of the cmb again
the real thing is only dna based pc (because dna has the ability to adapt regardless kinda like the one on eureka series ) or crystal base since its a priori immune to anything when it comes to radiation in general
Thread posts: 64
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.