[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What I learnt from coding a text editor in C

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: qhyeOCRF_400x400.jpg (27KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
qhyeOCRF_400x400.jpg
27KB, 400x400px
In C, it is hard to find recipes for stuff that you want to do. Libraries and frameworks like Redux that force you to employ a particular design pattern simply do not exist.

Unidirectional UI is an attempt to bring data-driven programming to the UI world.

http://lpan.io/what-i-learnt-from-viw/
>>
>>62134753
Who is this semen demon?
>>
>>62134753
That sounds reasonable. I am glad she is learning.
>>
>>62134788
His name is Ashley
>>
>>62134753
>Unidirectional UI is an attempt to bring data-driven programming to the UI world.
Is she implying here that this approach is a new development? This is how UIs have generally been implemented since the mid 90s.
>>
Once you move to making mobile or desktop front end you appreciate how easy front end web dev really is.

Contrary to popular opinion I think the DOM, HTML, and CSS, are an awesome way of defining and styling a scene graph. When I did some C++ front end I missed them every day.
>>
>>62135227
I can relate I think. Tried to make some gui for a script. Like sucking blood from stone. Never again.
>>
>>62135227
Wtf is DOM?
>>
>>62137924
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Document_Object_Model
>>
int main(int argc, char **argv) {
if (argc != 2) {
printf("Learn how to use an editor you noob!\n");
exit(1);
}

char *filename = argv[1];

dropped
>>
>>62135227
You got it the wrong way around.
It's just that all existing GUI libraries are messed up and so are all multimedia libraries, forcing you to implement your GUI in raw OpenGL.

Sure, I sometimes miss web stuff, when implementing proper text rendering, but then I remember the pain of placing nested elements in CSS.

>>62136771
That's because GUI APIs usually use more features than bindings support and it results in shitty workarounds.
Also, most bindings suck and/or are incomplete.
>>
>>62135227
>once you spend 4 hours guessing the context of this and whether your number is an int or a float, you'll appreciate how easy web dev is.

In all seriousness, back when I did web dev internships, 99% of the time I spent was trying to get CSS to cooperate with me and figuring out why the CSS was broken on other browsers. As far as I'm aware, there's no way to do height: 100$ - 20px, for when you have a fixed width top bar.
>>
>>62138060
>It's just that all existing GUI libraries are messed up and so are all multimedia libraries, forcing you to implement your GUI in raw OpenGL
not ncurses. ncurses is pretty dank.
>>
>As a modern JavaScript developer
Literally stopped there, since a modern JS Dev doesnt actually write anything themselves. Of course they're going to be frustrated you have to DIY in C
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.